Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14908658 times)

factory, K0ELB and 305 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49950 on: February 17, 2020, 05:15:29 am »
Very cool Bean !  8)  :-+
Safe trip buddy......caffeine up and you'll be there and back in no time.....unless you end up filling the wagon with other stuff too ! :scared:

Going to try and avoid it but I am going past a bunch of my favourite old haunts  :-DD

Pickup Mission is set for Friday at this stage but I am just looking into couriers and a few of the local Furniture carriers and see how that might work out for the $. There is about $100 AUpesos in fuel plus the Coffee costs to consider. Add to that the pain of having several hours of Melbourne Traffic to contend with  |O

Yikes....500 mile round trip.  :o Well, I did go over 200 miles for the 535A so I guess I can't talk.

With that distance you may want to consider bunking up for the night along the way and make it a 2 day trip. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49951 on: February 17, 2020, 05:22:32 am »

He starts right out with a brief overview including defusing a UXB,......snip.
mnem
And uhhh... don’t git any on ya.

They're still stumbling across UXB's occasionally, especially in Germany. I haven't heard of any being found in the UK recently. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #49952 on: February 17, 2020, 05:25:45 am »
Safe trip buddy......caffeine up and you'll be there and back in no time.....unless you end up filling the wagon with other stuff too ! :scared:

Going to try and avoid it but I am going past a bunch of my favourite old haunts  :-DD

Pickup Mission is set for Friday at this stage but I am just looking into couriers and a few of the local Furniture carriers and see how that might work out for the $. There is about $100 AUpesos in fuel plus the Coffee costs to consider. Add to that the pain of having several hours of Melbourne Traffic to contend with  |O

Yikes....500 mile round trip. 
That's just the start of the real cost of ownership of a calibrator !  :scared:
I'm sure Bean has done the sums and knows how deep this rabbit hole is.

Bean, where arrrrrrrrre yoooou  ?  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #49953 on: February 17, 2020, 05:35:09 am »
Yep Self Calibration initially using my pair of 6 1/2's and depending on how stable the Fluke is and how I think it will be used look at having it Calibrated  :scared: But the costs of keeping it in Cal along with my current Cal'd meters is really  :scared:

Across the board the specs for it are only marginally if any better than the 34401A and 34461A so it is not really up to calibrating them or being calibrated by them strictly but for 4 or 5 1/2 digit gear or even in shack use well up to the task.

If the cost of keeping a pair of 6 1/2's is less than keeping the Fluke in Cal then the meters win in my case for current use.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49955 on: February 17, 2020, 05:54:14 am »
So....... keeping it On topic as Papa Smurf has 'tried to do' for now at least  :-DD

Watched an item a few days ago :palm:. Downloaded manual and spec sheets for careful review  :-+. Looked at physical size and weight of the ships Anchor 35kg :o Looked at the location and length of journey to go pick up the Anchor 800km round trip (better take a packed lunch and dinner)  :-- Consider the proper Coffee Shops along the way to help fuel the trip without murdering the tastebuds. Nervously drink Several Coffees ready to do a manual snipe bid lest Gixen fail (has done before on me) …. Max Bid & punch Enter at T-3S Sorry Wallet but I did it anyway  >:D Now to arrange pickup of the new Baby and wonder if it actually works ………. If it does I reckon it is a steal eBay auction: #114102617109

Fluke 5101B with extended Frequency and a few communication options.

Ah, there it went! Seems like several TEA members noticed that offer.   :)
Great price anyway.   :-+
-I hope it'll be working or will at least only need minor fixes.

I'm looking forward to you cracking it open before powering it up.   8)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49956 on: February 17, 2020, 06:02:30 am »
I'm currently reorganizing my stack of TE at/above my bench.
Built a rack from aluminium system profiles (Item) and managed to put it in place last weekend.
(After several weeks of having it built and wasting room in another room of my apartment/flat.)

Sorry, no pics yet, I'm in the middle of installing and populating it.

But drilling mounting holes into 48x 90° L-shaped profiles (used as support rail for each instrument) with my amateur drill stand was a bit of a pita.  :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #49957 on: February 17, 2020, 06:43:09 am »
………. If it does I reckon it is a steal eBay auction: #114102617109

Congrats, looks like a real bargain. And all the service manuals are available, I've repaired two of them in the past, one was a simple shorted out tantalum, the other had a reed relay welded contacts.

Anyway, nice boat anchor. My 34401's agree to them within 15ppm @10V.
20V and above DC ranges can be a bit (< 10Hz) noisy, still have to investigate if it is by design or a failure.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49958 on: February 17, 2020, 06:55:36 am »
Nabbed an early B'day pressie for yours truly.
Couldn't resist......current probes are a sickness weakness.  ::)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362914149137
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49959 on: February 17, 2020, 07:02:17 am »
Shipping price for the Fluke with Pack and Send $350 If I was rude I would send them a reply to take another guess :palm:

And fitted in some Lasering of Acrylic and then put it to work with the router and a touch of chiseling in the corners. Fairly accurate for a woodworking hacker with Lasered Guidance  8) Project Bosch is getting toward a conclusion.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49960 on: February 17, 2020, 08:07:29 am »
So....... keeping it On topic as Papa Smurf has 'tried to do' for now at least  :-DD

Watched an item a few days ago :palm:. Downloaded manual and spec sheets for careful review  :-+. Looked at physical size and weight of the ships Anchor 35kg :o Looked at the location and length of journey to go pick up the Anchor 800km round trip (better take a packed lunch and dinner)  :-- Consider the proper Coffee Shops along the way to help fuel the trip without murdering the tastebuds. Nervously drink Several Coffees ready to do a manual snipe bid lest Gixen fail (has done before on me) …. Max Bid & punch Enter at T-3S Sorry Wallet but I did it anyway  >:D Now to arrange pickup of the new Baby and wonder if it actually works ………. If it does I reckon it is a steal eBay auction: #114102617109

Wow. Just wow.

With one exception, I would love that: the weight.

Is that a cassette tape on the right?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49961 on: February 17, 2020, 08:12:56 am »

He starts right out with a brief overview including defusing a UXB,......snip.
mnem

They're still stumbling across UXB's occasionally, especially in Germany. I haven't heard of any being found in the UK recently.

Central London, this month "Soho evacuated again after second WW2 bomb part is found in two days" https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/04/soho-evacuated-second-ww2-bomb-part-found-two-days-12181270/
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49962 on: February 17, 2020, 08:20:38 am »

Wow. Just wow.

With one exception, I would love that: the weight.

Is that a cassette tape on the right?

Micro Cassette for the 'programs'  ;D . I hold out little to zero hope for it but if the GPIB port works it isn't that necessary other than for fun if it works.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49963 on: February 17, 2020, 08:34:12 am »
Safe trip buddy......caffeine up and you'll be there and back in no time.....unless you end up filling the wagon with other stuff too !  :scared:
Oh and Bean, you well deserve this !  :)

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49964 on: February 17, 2020, 08:41:08 am »
A minor triumph by comparison, but I just nabbed a mixed bag of approx. 100 thermocouples, temperature probes, TC connectors and thermistors from a factory move 'garage sale' in Southampton, thanks to a well-placed friend!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49965 on: February 17, 2020, 08:49:47 am »

Jammy Git... What he had 2 of them, these are like rocking horse shit or bleeding hens teeth, and he had 2!!!!! Can't wait to see if it works, but then it's a Fluke so of course it will work. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49966 on: February 17, 2020, 08:53:18 am »
In Other News...

Currently watching James May’s “Man Lab”; a show which promises to help the modern would-be cro-magnon find his inner self-sufficient hairless ape.

He starts right out with a brief overview including defusing a UXB, building a manly kitchen entirely of concrete (including the countertop), and wooing a damsel in the neo-classical style.

You limeys better take good care of this summitch; he’s a fucking national treasure.  :-DD

mnem
Totes agree, he does do some very interesting programs as Clarkson doesnt manage to get him killed in their car related escapades.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49967 on: February 17, 2020, 09:02:14 am »
Jammy Git... What he had 2 of them, these are like rocking horse shit or bleeding hens teeth, and he had 2!!!!! Can't wait to see if it works, but then it's a Fluke so of course it will work. :-+
Old news really as if you'd been on Dischord Bean gave us hints he was looking at it......but you weren't !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49968 on: February 17, 2020, 09:04:38 am »
I'm flogging some stuff on fleabay, and a potential purchaser contacted me. He has chosen to make all his feedback "private", which means I can see that they are all positive, but the comments and items bought are hidden.

So, what's the benefit to hiding feedback?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49969 on: February 17, 2020, 09:05:29 am »
Old news really as if you'd been on Dischord Bean gave us hints he was looking at it......but you weren't !  :horse:
Guilty as charged, but sometimes real life gets in the way of pleasure   >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49970 on: February 17, 2020, 09:11:04 am »
I'm flogging some stuff on fleabay, and a potential purchaser contacted me. He has chosen to make all his feedback "private", which means I can see that they are all positive, but the comments and items bought are hidden.

Folk who do that are real arseholes, and I like you can see no benefit from doing it. In fact, I think it's a negative as it does nothing to help other buyers decide if you're a good seller and equally sellers can't see if he is a good buyer or not, so why do it?  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49971 on: February 17, 2020, 09:12:33 am »
Guilty as charged, but sometimes real life gets in the way of pleasure   >:D

I might have dropped a hint here but as other random Aussies trawl these waters I thought it was maybe safe to share on discord >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49972 on: February 17, 2020, 09:14:05 am »

I hate that. It's usually the guy who wants a return sorted almost immediately after receiving stuff as I found out recently. In my case it turned out to be some idiot CB'er who couldn't work out how to operate the equipment that he had been sent despite the availability of a manual.

Honestly as an ebay seller, it has got pretty bad. But it's the only market at the moment so you have to take the rough with the smooth. I plan to lose about 10% of my returns either through idiots or post.

Edit: on top of asshat above, I got this strike on my seller account despite actually resolving it properly!!!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:19:34 am by bd139 »

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49973 on: February 17, 2020, 09:23:48 am »

No.

Always a pleasure to read:
http://www.bymm.de/documents/08/Reparaturbericht_Fluke5101b_V2_22.pdf
(unfortunately German..)

The following users thanked this post: beanflying, FransW

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49974 on: February 17, 2020, 09:29:12 am »
No.

Always a pleasure to read:
http://www.bymm.de/documents/08/Reparaturbericht_Fluke5101b_V2_22.pdf
(unfortunately German..)

Thanks for the link I can look at the UGLY and the beautiful pictures and translate as needed  :-+ EDIT even with my terrible reading of German awesome document!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:33:09 am by beanflying »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf