Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14886262 times)

themadhippy and 33 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50025 on: February 17, 2020, 05:10:43 pm »
Nabbed an early B'day pressie for yours truly.
Couldn't resist......current probes are a sickness weakness.  ::)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362914149137

:-+ good price! Looking for one low priority. Haven't seen this one.

Will you demonstrate using it? A teardown isn't possible without damage, I think, so that would be an adequate substitute.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 05:42:35 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50026 on: February 17, 2020, 05:40:14 pm »
Recently got an agilent 81130A pulse generator with 2x 81132A 660MHz modules installed, fully working. Also got a Rohde & Schwarz URE 3 RMS Voltmeter. Both for free. Pretty happy with that. Can post pictures soon if any interest is there.

No question. Show pictures. From inside and outside. This is the TEA Forum Thread.   8)   :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50027 on: February 17, 2020, 05:53:30 pm »
Blimey! Not being here for a week results in so many new posts that all one can do is skip to the end and hope there was nothing really important posted in that time.

I had a very busy work week and then spent the weekend getting my GPIB interface working and writing some shell script to interface it to my laptop. It was kind of fun working out how to talk through a serial interface to the Arduino with shell script. I can now combine the data from the Solartron 7061 with data from a set of sensors for temperature, humidity and pressure that I publish to an MQTT broker running on my NAS. The result is a data file to feed into gnuplot.

I'm very pleased with the results and they tell me that my concerns about the "flapping in the breeze" diode are completely unfounded.

Here's the full graph:

Lord of Sealand

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50028 on: February 17, 2020, 05:53:42 pm »
Oh... dear...

I'm afraid I've gone and done something rather foolish... bought this...   :palm:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solartron-Schlumberger-7075-7-5-digits-DMM-rare-lead-custom-plywood-case/223914561016

Does anyone have a rope they can throw down this hole I seem to be in?

There's a rather smug rabbit that keeps insisting that you can't measure anything properly with fewer than 8.5 digits   :scared:

If I close my eyes, I'm sure I can hear a whispering, "we're the voltnutssss, join usssssss"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 05:55:42 pm by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50029 on: February 17, 2020, 05:56:10 pm »
Think that was tggzzz  :-DD (you're in good hands there)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50030 on: February 17, 2020, 06:07:15 pm »
Oh... dear...

I'm afraid I've gone and done something rather foolish... bought this...   :palm:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solartron-Schlumberger-7075-7-5-digits-DMM-rare-lead-custom-plywood-case/223914561016

There's a rather smug rabbit that keeps insisting that you can't measure anything properly with fewer than 8.5 digits   :scared:

If I close my eyes, I'm sure I can hear a whispering, "we're the voltnutssss, join usssssss"

We choose to have ropes that are insufficient to support your weight :)

If you close your eyes, you'll miss the soothing effect of the gently glowing Panaplex displays :)

And a 7075 was my gateway drug :(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:11:59 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50031 on: February 17, 2020, 06:21:55 pm »
I'm not joining the voltnuts! You can't make me go in there!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50032 on: February 17, 2020, 06:32:28 pm »

I'm afraid that horse has bolted. And we won't need to make you go[1] in there, we'll gently entice you by dripfeeding you with comforts that can be lowered on a thin rope.

[1] if I'm honest with myself, s/go/come/
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50033 on: February 17, 2020, 06:41:20 pm »

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50034 on: February 17, 2020, 06:48:52 pm »

Join the voltnuts! We have TiN! And cookies! And sub-ppm-discussions!   :-/O   :-DMM
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #50035 on: February 17, 2020, 06:49:53 pm »
Finally, I've found out, why the guys from UK are so shy  using discord.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/uk-police-distance-themselves-from-poster-warning-parents-to-report-kids-for-using-kali-linux/

kali linux and discord. the rock and roll and comic books of the 2020s.    :palm:

specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #50036 on: February 17, 2020, 06:52:11 pm »
Oh... dear...

sir, you do not need a rope. you need a bucket lift; otherwise you will have to leave all your carefully acquired stuff down there and that would be a shame.  >:D
specialization is for insects.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50037 on: February 17, 2020, 07:19:43 pm »
Yep Self Calibration initially using my pair of 6 1/2's and depending on how stable the Fluke is and how I think it will be used look at having it Calibrated  :scared: But the costs of keeping it in Cal along with my current Cal'd meters is really  :scared:

Across the board the specs for it are only marginally if any better than the 34401A and 34461A so it is not really up to calibrating them or being calibrated by them strictly but for 4 or 5 1/2 digit gear or even in shack use well up to the task.

If the cost of keeping a pair of 6 1/2's is less than keeping the Fluke in Cal then the meters win in my case for current use.

I guess my question would be...  who the fòck can you get that is A) knowledgeable enough in this prehistoric boat-anchorage (aside from a few weirdos and greybeards, most of whom frequent this board ;)) and 2) laboratory sufficiently equipped to calibrate that chunk of Godzilla Tech for you; and ╠) how the fsck are you gonna get it to/from said laboratory...?

I love you man... and I do eagerly await your journals of this odyssey you are about to undertake...
  :-+

mnem
:clap:

As it is GPIB enabled and Keysight will have a program for Calibrating it the only issue is what is the cost and do they still have someone to twirl the sticks rather than punch a button.  :-// The common manual online is 1994 issue so it isn't that old by Cal gear standards. I do own a Road case that it will fit in but as the risk of shaking a card or having some dick delivery driver dropping it would be a road trip pre and post.

or more likely

in the 335 pages of proper manual http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/5100B___imeng0100.pdf it is all there for DIY Cal and adjustment  . In the gear needed they do say you NEED a Fluke 5700A Calibrator to calibrate this one but as I won't be buying one of those I will have to be happy making do using the other discrete gear I own.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:22:09 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50038 on: February 17, 2020, 07:21:02 pm »
One thing that does tickle my fancy, is trying to make a Weston cell.

Need to brush up on my chemistry...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #50039 on: February 17, 2020, 07:32:30 pm »
Oh... dear...

Throw DOWN to you?!?  Did you forget where you are and who you're talking to?  We're all at the bottom with lassos trying to rope you and pull you further in!   :-DD

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50040 on: February 17, 2020, 07:36:34 pm »

If the box in the picture of the 7075 is included in the deal then you'll already have a dual Weston cell.

That's a serious bargain there for £95! Great find!
  Lord of Sealand

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50041 on: February 17, 2020, 07:41:10 pm »
I guess my question would be...  who the fòck can you get that is A) knowledgeable enough in this prehistoric boat-anchorage (aside from a few weirdos and greybeards, most of whom frequent this board ;)) and 2) laboratory sufficiently equipped to calibrate that chunk of Godzilla Tech for you; and ╠) how the fsck are you gonna get it to/from said laboratory...?

I love you man... and I do eagerly await your journals of this odyssey you are about to undertake...
  :-+

mnem
:clap:

As it is GPIB enabled and Keysight will have a program for Calibrating it the only issue is what is the cost and do they still have someone to twirl the sticks rather than punch a button.  :-// The common manual online is 1994 issue so it isn't that old by Cal gear standards. I do own a Road case that it will fit in but as the risk of shaking a card or having some dick delivery driver dropping it would be a road trip pre and post.

or more likely

in the 335 pages of proper manual http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/5100B___imeng0100.pdf it is all there for DIY Cal and adjustment  . In the gear needed they do say you NEED a Fluke 5700A Calibrator to calibrate this one but as I won't be buying one of those I will have to be happy making do using the other discrete gear I own.

So TL/DR is you're planning to find someone in Oz that has a in-cal 5700A and go a-callin' with a bottle of good whiskey in hand...?

mnem
*wondering idly what the uncertainty factor is on that procedure*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50042 on: February 17, 2020, 07:42:25 pm »

If the box in the picture of the 7075 is included in the deal then you'll already have a dual Weston cell.

That's a serious bargain there for £95! Great find!

Haha, the item description clearly states only the unit and test lead are included, but yeah the pic with the Weston cell in it was what got me to pondering that one.

It seems that I'm buying it from one of our very own, namely tggzzz, so at least I know it's from a reliable seller, and wont have a wrecking ball in the parcel   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50043 on: February 17, 2020, 07:55:19 pm »
Ah, that explains the dual Weston cell!
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #50044 on: February 17, 2020, 08:02:15 pm »

Join the voltnuts! We have TiN! And cookies! And sub-ppm-discussions!   :-/O   :-DMM

Help ! Rescue me ! I dont want my nuts volted !  >:D. Too late. The 3458A says 1.0000000000027.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50045 on: February 17, 2020, 08:10:34 pm »
Time for the traditional bitching and moaning how the product isn't as promised and you want your money back. Don't hold back just because it's someone we know.  >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50046 on: February 17, 2020, 08:17:06 pm »
Oh... dear...

Well seeing as you can hear that rabbit whispering that, why the hell did you only get 7.5 digits this time?  :wtf: If you'd gone for 8.5 digit DMM you'd have shut him up  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50047 on: February 17, 2020, 08:24:03 pm »

First find a supplier of Hg, Hg2SO4, CdSO4.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:26:53 pm by tggzzz »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50048 on: February 17, 2020, 08:37:12 pm »
Mercurous sulphate is nasty stuff. Don't do it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #50049 on: February 17, 2020, 08:38:49 pm »
Nabbed an early B'day pressie for yours truly.
Couldn't resist......current probes are a sickness weakness.  ::)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362914149137

:-+ good price! Looking for one low priority. Haven't seen this one.
I'm always scanning for P6021/6022 and it was too cheap to ignore especially with a Buy Now !
That make three I have now, 2x 6021 and a 6022.

Will you demonstrate using it? A teardown isn't possible without damage, I think, so that would be an adequate substitute.   ;)
I only have the Tek 134 current probe amp as a termination for P6021 and it does P6022 also although the P6022 I have has the passive termination but it it's only suitable for P6022.

Member BillB on-shipped the P6022 I nabbed last year and had a play with it against his CP-07+.
His screenshot, Ch1 voltage probe, Ch2 CP-07+, Ch3 Tek Tek P6022 and it's clear channel deskew wasn't used.
Signal ex SDG2122X into 50 ohm load.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf