Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14900526 times)

Carl_Smith and 207 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50050 on: February 17, 2020, 08:46:43 pm »
Mercurous sulphate is nasty stuff. Don't do it.

Hg +Al in aircraft structures -> expensive repairs.

But for nasty stuff, while away a few hours with the droll humour in https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with

First example that I blundered into:
"...I don’t actually sit around thinking up ways to make things blow up, so reading the energetic-materials literature is always an interesting experience – it’s a world where people are happily walking up the same staircase that everyone else is frantically sliding down."
"Now, if you complain that this one doesn’t have enough nitro groups in it then there’s something wrong with you, but apparently there are still those who look at this structure and say “Dang, not explosive enough”. Recall that this is the compound whose cocrystal with TNT is actually less dangerous than the pure starting material itself, and yeah, I know that sounds like the guy at the pet store packing a starved Komodo dragon into the carrier with your new dog, just to calm him down some. But there it is."
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50051 on: February 17, 2020, 09:00:58 pm »
And a 7075 was my gateway drug :(

First it was a 7075 from a hamfest.
But I added some penis fingers.
Then I added a 7081, but was too green/clueless to also buy the Fluke calibrator :(
Next came a couple more 7075s, and I created that cut-and-shut frankenmaschine 7075.
Having sold that, I'm left with only one 7075 (plus working display module for sonething or other), the 7075 voltage reference shown below - plus the 7081 and a few boring boxes that need calibration. But that requires I fix my 1kV Datron source, preferably without penis fingers.

Now, with a little patience, I can become a dripfeed pusher of goodies, without having to pay fleabay fees :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:38:03 pm by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50052 on: February 17, 2020, 09:54:40 pm »
And a 7075 was my gateway drug :(

First it was a 7075 from a hamfest.
But I added some penis fingers.
Then I added a 7081, but was too green/clueless to also buy the Fluke calibrator :(
Next came a couple more 7075s, and I created that cut-and-shut frankenmaschine 7075.
Having sold that, I'm left with only one 7075 (plus working display module for sonething or other), the 7075 voltage reference shown below - plus the 7081 and a few boring boxes that need calibration. But that requires I fix my 1kV Datron source, preferably without penis fingers.

Now, with a little patience, I can become a dripfeed pusher of goodies, without having to pay fleabay fees :)

I apologise for helping you make space for more TE   :-DD

First find a supplier of Hg, Hg2SO4, CdSO4.

Mercury I have plenty of, is there anyone in this thread who doesn't? Cadmium Sulphates are more of a challenge.

Mercurous sulphate is nasty stuff. Don't do it.

Sulphating your own mercury is fun!

Just don't tell the G-man you're doing it...

Zero experience of sulphating cadmium though. As long as I remember to not lick my fingers I should be ok...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50053 on: February 17, 2020, 10:02:48 pm »
So what happens in the event of a Weston cell developing a leak or worse still, heaven forbid, being dropped and shattered? House full of dead family???  :scared: :scared: :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50054 on: February 17, 2020, 10:10:38 pm »
I apologise for helping you make space for more TE   :-DD

I have negative space as it is. One of my DMMs is stored in a garden shed on wet concrete. OK, it is one of these so it will tolerate it, but that doesn't change the point.

The only thing I would get at the moment would be a very good and cheap and smallish MDA.

Mercury I have plenty of, is there anyone in this thread who doesn't? Cadmium Sulphates are more of a challenge.

No mercury, only sodium or potassium. Next time I climb through the hole in the kitchen floor, I'll check which it is. Ought to find a stretch of sea to lob it into.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #50055 on: February 17, 2020, 10:12:40 pm »
dumb forum question... how do i turn off getting thread updates in my "unread replies to your post" off the list. i've turned off "notify" in the menu bar at top but they still show up. i posted on a couple of threads that i have no need to visit ever again but can't seem to get rid of the damn things. 

* worsthorse who knows he is often clueless about the simplest things...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:18:51 pm by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50056 on: February 17, 2020, 10:27:31 pm »
dumb forum question... how do i turn off getting thread updates in my "unread replies to your post" off the list. i've turned off "notify" in the menu bar at top but they still show up. i posted on a couple of threads that i have no need to visit ever again but can't seem to get rid of the damn things. 

* worsthorse who knows is often clueless about the simplest things...

It's funny but I was thinking exactly the same thing recently...

I didn't find a way to remove those threads from the list either. :(
  Lord of Sealand

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50057 on: February 17, 2020, 10:33:32 pm »
Fucking hells bells bastard cunting schools giving me a headache. So I'm going through mathematics homework with one of the kids and they have managed to typeset the exponent values badly like this:

6.21795x1010

When it should be

6.21795x1010

Not only that they taught her ass about face way of getting values into standard form. Not a single fucking mention of mantissa and exponent. Soo I just spent 2 hours doing it from the ground up.

Cue page long rant via email to the head of the school on the homework about Edexcel being a Pearson turd factory and the teaching being substandard.

This is how society falls.

Edit: oh it gets worse. The textbook actually has lots of typos in it. Fucking Pearson shit mongers!!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:42:31 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #50058 on: February 17, 2020, 10:42:48 pm »
"Lord give me the patience to know when I can make a difference
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of those who really p****ed me off."
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50059 on: February 17, 2020, 10:49:30 pm »

The quick path

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=ignoretopics;u=YOUR USER NUMBER HERE

Or the Menu convoluted Path

Profile - Account Settings - Modify Profile - Ignore Topics Options
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50060 on: February 17, 2020, 10:59:20 pm »

The quick path

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=ignoretopics;u=YOUR USER NUMBER HERE

Or the Menu convoluted Path

Profile - Account Settings - Modify Profile - Ignore Topics Options

Maybe I'm really stupid, but I don't see any way to add a topic to the list on that page.

:-//
  Lord of Sealand

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50061 on: February 17, 2020, 11:00:39 pm »
But doesn't that also mean you won't see the topic in the forum list?

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50062 on: February 17, 2020, 11:11:08 pm »

mnem

Nope you just don't see them in your un read topics list.

Sorry Grizewald still pre coffee so my brain is asleep  :=\

That is how you see what you are ignoring. The following slide is the button to punch circled when you see a topic to ignore check the box or boxes first. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO IGNORE TEA EVER  :horse: :-DD

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:13:00 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, grizewald

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50063 on: February 17, 2020, 11:22:13 pm »

mnem

That is how you see what you are ignoring. The following slide is the button to punch circled when you see a topic to ignore check the box or boxes first. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO IGNORE TEA EVER  :horse: :-DD

good lord, i have been on forums since they were called bbses.   ;D ya think i'd be able to figure this stuff out for myself.   ::)  mahalo.

and the threads i want to turn off are several i should have skipped posting in, in the first place, of which this is not one.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50064 on: February 17, 2020, 11:24:53 pm »

I developed a drink I called a "DewSki"

I'm not as original as you. I'm content with asking unsuspecting bartenders to make me "Pink Gin". Last time, he said "We don't have that"  while standing in front of the gin and bitters part of the bar.  :palm:  I usually expect something like that, so was prepared, asked which gin brands he had, selected the least bad (Tanq 10, this time) and directed the rest of the process.  This was in Sweden, and to be fair, I've had my best Gin & Bitters moment here too, when the bartender, without a seconds hesitation asked "Which bitters would you prefer, our own mix or regular Angostura?" and then proceeded to grab the Plymouth Gin bottle and made me a splendid drink.  OTOH, I was at the Hakkasan in London (Tottenham Court Road) a few months back, and had to instruct a british bartender in making the drink that kept the Royal Navy, officers branch, floating  :o.

Colour me flabbergasted.

Been winning a lot small auctions for tools lately, but also some electronics related. There is a post coming up, but I need to collect a few more photos and perhaps some experience with the new kit first.
As I have previously stated from  my own experience,  CROFT (Critical Recurring Obsession with Fine Tools) and CACA (Compulsive Aquisition of Coaxial adaptors) are sinkholes for funds in their own right.
Enjoy and live it out. Need some pointers?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50065 on: February 17, 2020, 11:38:08 pm »

mnem

*sigh* i dunno... i found the ignored topics area in my profile, so thank you. but i can't for the life of me find a page that looks like the "updated topics" page in your second clipping nor any that has the "ignored topics" and checkboxes.  i am really feeling noobish now... perhaps that is a feature only the supercontributors have? here's what that corner of my updated topics page looks like...

930192-0

* worsthorse hangs his grey old head in shame.

edit: well i don't know why i have an ignore function but i may have figured out the notification thing... there appears to be a "default notify me" checkbox in the profile:

and under attachments and other options at the bottom of the posting window, there is also a checkbox that says "notify me of replies" which seems to be checked by default.  so it seems like there are three ways to turn notify on: by default in the profile, by default in the post editor, and by choice with the notify button on the topic thread itself.

so i guess i could go back to the original posts and turn off the "notify me of replies" for each topic i am trying to ignore. that will suck. or i could figure out where the magic checkbox is that adds "ignore topic" to my choices in the updated topic page.

yes, a tempest in a teapot this is...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:54:31 pm by worsthorse »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50066 on: February 17, 2020, 11:41:49 pm »

mnem

good lord, i have been on forums since they were called bbses.   ;D ya think i'd be able to figure this stuff out for myself.   ::)  mahalo.

and the threads i want to turn off are several i should have skipped posting in, in the first place, of which this is not one.

There are several more I should add to mine too. the $20 ESR meter one is interesting but Meh I have one it works and I see no point reading the same questions about making it the uber $20 ESR meters it went on the list. I do still glance it once in a while off the board index.

The rolling Windows 7 or 10 is getting there too as the wankers who deliberately avoid or block updates and refuse point blank to consider leaving unsupported platforms annoy the crap out of me so it needs to go too :rant: :rant: :rant:  :horse: Time to inject more coffee  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50067 on: February 17, 2020, 11:43:46 pm »

mnem

*sigh* i dunno... i found the ignored topics area in my profile, so thank you. but i can't for the life of me find a page that looks like the "updated topics" page in your second clipping nor any that has the "ignored topics" and checkboxes.  i am really feeling noobish now... can you post the url for the page you took that clip from?

* worsthorse hangs his grey old head in shame.

If you have been there they won't be unread now will they  ;) That page is the 'new replies to your posts' page just to make that uber clear  :-DD

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50068 on: February 18, 2020, 12:37:52 am »
Fucking hells bells bastard cunting schools giving me a headache. So I'm going through mathematics homework with one of the kids and they have managed to typeset the exponent values badly like this:

6.21795x1010

When it should be

6.21795x1010

Not only that they taught her ass about face way of getting values into standard form. Not a single fucking mention of mantissa and exponent. Soo I just spent 2 hours doing it from the ground up.

Cue page long rant via email to the head of the school on the homework about Edexcel being a Pearson turd factory and the teaching being substandard.

Edit: oh it gets worse. The textbook actually has lots of typos in it. Fucking Pearson shit mongers!!!!

careful man

getting uppity about common core is grounds to call CPS

it is a brave new world
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50069 on: February 18, 2020, 12:41:56 am »

This is SMF, the forum system that makes a FIDO bbs look user friendly. I don't think that it is you who are the problem.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50070 on: February 18, 2020, 01:02:30 am »

6.21795x1010

When it should be

6.21795x1010

That I'm afraid is what happens when the governments of the day pay bottom price for anything to do with education especially when it comes to us plebs, in order to save up the money for their pet projects that more than likely will never see the light of day but the money will disappear all the same.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50071 on: February 18, 2020, 01:09:33 am »

This is SMF, the forum system that makes a FIDO bbs look user friendly. I don't think that it is you who are the problem.

a long time ago in a galaxy far away, i was a development manager for an AI company. my job was to corral a bunch of Lisp programmers and turn what they churned out into production code that could be deployed in factories and used by people who definitely weren't Lisp programmers. i once found a set of "features" in which each one could invoked no less than seven ways and included buried defaults for very common operations. SMF sort of reminds me of that system, except with less parentheses.    |O

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #50072 on: February 18, 2020, 01:14:46 am »
worsthorse, have you got it sorted ?

FYI, if you ever hit Notify at the foot of a page in any thread, emails are sent to you each time there's new posts.
Instead it's much simpler to use Show new replies to your posts link at the top of the page.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50073 on: February 18, 2020, 01:26:02 am »

FYI, if you ever hit Notify at the foot of a page in any thread, emails are sent to you each time there's new posts.
Instead it's much simpler to use Show new replies to your posts link at the top of the page.

i didn't get it sorted. it seems like the "notify" button at the foot and head of the thread is one-way. once you turn it on, turning it off has no effect. but since i've discovered at least three places that change default notify behavior i am not holding out much hope. i also don't seem to have the ability to "ignore" posts; maybe that's a benefit of putting up more posts.  anyway, no worries. i will live with it as it is.  thanks!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #50074 on: February 18, 2020, 01:31:25 am »

i didn't get it sorted. it seems like the "notify" button at the foot and head of the thread is one-way. once you turn it on, turning it off has no effect. but since i've discovered at least three places that change default notify behavior i am not holding out much hope. i also don't seem to have the ability to "ignore" posts; maybe that's a benefit of putting up more posts.  anyway, no worries. i will live with it as it is.  thanks!
Nope we'll get you sorted and there was another thread recently on this same matter......if I can find it.
The Ignore feature is only to prevent threads you have posted in showing up in your Show new replies link.

Let me hunt this stuff out for ya.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf