Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14817445 times)

Kosmic, Carl_Smith and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50175 on: February 19, 2020, 05:55:13 am »
IME, usually Manganin or Constantan wire is spot-welded to the leads or terminals; these are soldered. Once I have a chance to do a little cleanup, I may be able to confirm this. It is possible they made these shunts in-house exactly the same as several other similar precision resistors that are in the meter. If they're made with silver-bearing solder, that might explain the construction. :-//

mnem
*really off to bed this time*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50176 on: February 19, 2020, 06:25:05 am »
Somebody needs to take my credit card away...      Oh, and I bought a PS3 Slim just because it was complete for $25...   :palm:

mnem
 |O

More like someone needs a fidgit spinner, 3D Printer or their real existing toy collection back under their wings again. Just remember all this extra crap you are adding now will be combined with the other at some point in the future :-DD

While I wholeheartedly agree with the latter part (and the part after that ;)), I’ve resolved the fidget spinner part in the form of 5, 10 and 20 lb dumbbells I also bought today for a little self-improvement.  :phew: We’ll see if I can get my wife in on this aspect as well.  :o

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a 5-pounder*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #50177 on: February 19, 2020, 06:30:10 am »
 :scared:
Mnem's bulking up !
How long will it last ?  :horse:  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50178 on: February 19, 2020, 08:49:03 am »
Somebody needs to take my credit card away...

Oh, and I bought a PS3 Slim just because it was complete for $25...   :palm:

mnem
 |O

More like someone needs a fidgit spinner, 3D Printer or their real existing toy collection back under their wings again. Just remember all this extra crap you are adding now will be combined with the other at some point in the future :-DD
Then comes another move to larger property to house it all and so the circle begins... again and again  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50179 on: February 19, 2020, 08:53:10 am »
IME, usually Manganin or Constantan wire is spot-welded to the leads or terminals; these are soldered. Once I have a chance to do a little cleanup, I may be able to confirm this. It is possible they made these shunts in-house exactly the same as several other similar precision resistors that are in the meter. If they're made with silver-bearing solder, that might explain the construction. :-//

mnem
*really off to bed this time*
You should be able to solder manganin wire. You will need to remove any oxidization/coatings, then coat the end in flux, before soldering(quickly)
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50180 on: February 19, 2020, 10:32:04 am »
I’ve resolved the fidget spinner part in the form of 5, 10 and 20 lb dumbbells I also bought today for a little self-improvement.

Self-improvement how? By retrophrenology?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50181 on: February 19, 2020, 10:40:29 am »
:scared:
Mnem's bulking up !
How long will it last ?  :horse:  :P

"Bulking up"??? With 20lb dumbbells?? That's just 9kg.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50182 on: February 19, 2020, 10:47:02 am »
Started the vertical board swap on the 485. Getting the old board out is pretty easy. But getting the new board in is a real struggle. Getting a single pin in the center of the board plus the vertical output IC pins lined up with no sight, strictly by feel, took nearly a half hour. But they are lined up now and finishing up will go quickly.

Pix to follow and cross your fingers that it comes up. I DON'T want to attempt to put the old board back in if this one doesn't work.  :palm:   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50183 on: February 19, 2020, 10:51:24 am »
"Bulking up"??? With 20lb dumbbells?? That's just 9kg.

"Nur die Harten kommen in den Garten..."  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50184 on: February 19, 2020, 10:53:56 am »
Started the vertical board swap on the 485. Getting the old board out is pretty easy. But getting the new board in is a real struggle. Getting a single pin in the center of the board plus the vertical output IC pins lined up with no sight, strictly by feel, took nearly a half hour. But they are lined up now and finishing up will go quickly.

Pix to follow and cross your fingers that it comes up. I DON'T want to attempt to put the old board back in if this one doesn't work.  :palm:

Doing this such stuff you need to make sure, that your tongue is in the right angle.

Example:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:20:30 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50185 on: February 19, 2020, 11:33:02 am »
And making sure that everything is correctly mounted the right way to prevent the electrons falling out.  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:11:47 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50186 on: February 19, 2020, 11:49:00 am »
Yes, that might be helpful as well.  :-+  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50187 on: February 19, 2020, 11:59:21 am »
Well, I got some fun. The PSU is going into tick mode. If I pull the supplies from the vertical board the PSU comes up. But nothing is shorted to ground. So I have to isolate which supply shuts down when I connect the board. Just freaking wonderful.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #50188 on: February 19, 2020, 12:15:26 pm »
Is it normal for HP 3400A with input not connected, when switching the ranges switch, the meter's needle move to right most, and then rest back to zero at the left most ? It happens at every switching at every ranges.  :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50189 on: February 19, 2020, 12:16:57 pm »
Well, I got some fun. The PSU is going into tick mode. If I pull the supplies from the vertical board the PSU comes up. But nothing is shorted to ground. So I have to isolate which supply shuts down when I connect the board. Just freaking wonderful.  :palm:
Just a thought, but could it be that maybe a pin or more may not properly aligned after all?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50190 on: February 19, 2020, 12:19:43 pm »
Is it normal for HP 3400A with input not connected, when switching the ranges switch, the meter's needle move to right most, and then rest back to zero at the left most ? It happens at every switching at every ranges.  :-//

Yeah that's normal  :-+

400E does it too.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #50191 on: February 19, 2020, 12:22:56 pm »

Yeah that's normal  :-+

400E does it too.

Thanks, good to know.  :-+

Btw, hows the restoration of your 3400A ? Especially at the peeled skin face.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50192 on: February 19, 2020, 12:31:55 pm »
Well, I found the issue and it's fatal. The +24.7V is shutting down because the Vertical Output IC on this board is NFG.  :palm: :palm:

Chances of swapping over that IC successfully without damaging it are pretty slim. So, I have no choice but to put the old board back in. Whoopie.  :--

But for now I'm taking a break.  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50193 on: February 19, 2020, 01:04:28 pm »
Btw, hows the restoration of your 3400A ? Especially at the peeled skin face.

Honestly I priced up the repair job and it was considerably more than buying one that doesn't have a peeling face and actually works so it has departed already as spares/repair. It covered the fuel and books that were bought though  :-+

I am attending the Rainham radio rally on sunday morning so will see what turns up there. It's hamfest season at last!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50194 on: February 19, 2020, 01:05:21 pm »
Well, I found the issue and it's fatal. The +24.7V is shutting down because the Vertical Output IC on this board is NFG.  :palm: :palm:

Chances of swapping over that IC successfully without damaging it are pretty slim. So, I have no choice but to put the old board back in. Whoopie.  :--

that's a shitter  :--. You know what the answer is though - you need ANOTHER 485  :-DD

I am looking out for a 2465 / 2445 as a "just in case scope". This is how it escalates. (no tggzzz yours are too expensive for my cheap arsery :-DD)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50195 on: February 19, 2020, 01:25:11 pm »
I am looking out for a 2465 / 2445 as a "just in case scope". This is how it escalates. (no tggzzz yours are too expensive for my cheap arsery :-DD)

Just out of curiousity: Why a 2465 / 2445? Do you need this bandwidth? And my understanding was, that size is important for you.
So, why not buying something small with 2 input channels with, let's say with a bandwidth of 100MHz?

For example a THS 720A:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174154132210

A cheaper one from Israel:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223829013652

And it has a DMM integrated.
It's a nice scope which I'm using for my "Reparier Bar" stuff. I've bought it some years ago at the HAM Radio in Friedrichshafen
for around 230 Euros, including two probes, new battery and the Tektronix hardplastic carrying case.

Edit:
I've checked some ended auctions on ebay and for Europe this was the cheapest I've found:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/TEKTRONIX-2465-Oszilloskop-300MHz-4-Kanaele-/333402089922

That's a nice one, coming with the DMM:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tektronix-2465-A-DM-350-MHz-/184055426003
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:33:37 pm by BU508A »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50196 on: February 19, 2020, 01:50:46 pm »

that's a shitter  :--. You know what the answer is though - you need ANOTHER 485  :-DD

You know what they say: buy cheap, buy twice. Or is that an underestimate  >:D
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50197 on: February 19, 2020, 01:59:52 pm »
hey bd

were you bitchin' a couple of weeks ago about a sweep problem in an hp 1740?

grabbed one of mine to look at some ttl stuff and discovered it was having sweep/retrace hiccups.

pulled the cover and found this note.  hmmmmmm.  that is my handwriting.  musta' put that note in there 15 or 20 years ago.

followed my instructions from the past (or maybe i am finally gonna' get around to that time machine and its from the future?).  it is now working a-ok once again.  most likely pushing at the top reseats that white connector waaaaaay down at the bottom of the board?

or did you already sell your only hp scope?     
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50198 on: February 19, 2020, 02:01:02 pm »

You know what they say: buy cheap, buy twice. Or is that an underestimate  >:D

I suspect, that bd can afford it to buy it right the first time. But then, where's the fun? If you are buying cheap the first time, chances are high, that you can buy it a second time (after you have sold the first one and stated, that you are done with it! Really! Honestly! This time for real!).   ;D
Several months later ....    :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50199 on: February 19, 2020, 02:04:43 pm »

sorry to hear the bad news.

maybe bd could send you that 1740a.  naaaaaw.   you don't want one of those.........they were designed not to need a fan.
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf