Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14942073 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50500 on: February 23, 2020, 11:11:44 am »
Some Hobo with too many antennas crashed his ride.

I recently materialised at a local ham meeting, to hear a talk given by a local university professor. She was quite entertaining on how coronal mass ejections might cripple ham comms (and other things). The audience were not, shall we say, the kind of people that would encourage youngsters to become hams.

The "out the back and up some stairs" meeting room had some cow horns and notices about who was a primo and a knight of the RAOB. I've since discovered that is the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes, no less, a low-rent version of the Freemasons. Yes, they have badges on blazers and other regalia.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50501 on: February 23, 2020, 11:16:04 am »
Well, you Brits have always been big on "Class" and who has it and who doesn't. You still engender people with "Sir" and related stuff. It reminds me of the caste system in India. And all one has to do is look at the sinking of the Titanic and see "Class Structure" in action.

In the US 100 years is a long time, in the UK 100 miles is a long way.
In the US race is the "thou shalt not cross divide", in the UK class is the "thou shalt not cross divide".

Having said that, while the concepts of class and caste were similar, caste is still fixed and immutable and important whereas class was weakened significantly in the 60s. (Ditto race in the US)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50502 on: February 23, 2020, 11:18:54 am »
Well, you Brits have always been big on "Class" and who has it and who doesn't. You still engender people with "Sir" and related stuff. It reminds me of the caste system in India. And all one has to do is look at the sinking of the Titanic and see "Class Structure" in action.

In the US 100 years is a long time, in the UK 100 miles is a long way.
In the US race is the "thou shalt not cross divide", in the UK class is the "thou shalt not cross divide".

Having said that, while the concepts of class and caste were similar, caste is still fixed and immutable and important whereas class was weakened significantly in the 60s. (Ditto race in the US)

Very true, on all points.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50503 on: February 23, 2020, 11:19:51 am »
I’m not sure most folk give a crap about that class stuff apart from the slightly mental royalists and the people who use it as an identity. At least in the major cities that’s the case.

And it’s definitely a redneck hamfest this one. Just seen someone driving a porcupine into a lamp post  :palm:

Edit: uniformed raynet whackers as well  :palm:

Rainham/Chatham? Bit of a hike for you: chose longer faster or shorter slower :(

Presumably a lot military (= likes uniform) types.

Pet hate when I was a kid: men that wore blazers with an "important" badge[1] and expected that to engender some respect in other people. Maybe before the 60s, but counterculture stopped that kind of nonsense!

[1] like a school uniform for "adults", e.g.

Turns out it was mostly ex BT folk from what I heard. Obsessed with their poles  :-DD. I have the same hatred of blazers. Have a couple of masons in the family which take it to a whole new level of WTF.

Yes a bit far out of the way indeed but there’s an anterior motive. Firstly I need to get out. Now at lakeside which happens to have a toilet, a Tesco sandwich meal deal place, a Go Outdoors and a Decathlon. Then for a drive up to Aylesbury and a nice afternoon walk ;). Managed most of the M25 today though  :--

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50504 on: February 23, 2020, 11:37:06 am »
Whoa, whats going on here today, has all that talk about calibrators and spectrum analysers last night fried every ones head today? Med, how are you getting on with your search for that 7.5 digit meter  :-DD, yes I'll be getting one eventually but sticking to my principles and out of that rabbit hole  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50505 on: February 23, 2020, 11:46:23 am »
Med, how are you getting on with your search for that 7.5 digit meter  :-DD,

The only way that's going to happen is if one falls out of the sky for free.  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50506 on: February 23, 2020, 11:51:09 am »
Or, like me, one comes along thats affordable. To me its like a car, yes, I can have a car that shows 200mph on the speedo but it doesnt mean I have to drive it at 200mph  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50507 on: February 23, 2020, 11:54:24 am »
If I had a car with a 200 MPH speedo I'd certainly want to find out if it could do 200 MPH, and kill myself in the process.  :o :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50508 on: February 23, 2020, 12:00:15 pm »
In that case then, keep well away from 6.5 and 7.5 digit meters if your OCD has that much hold over you, or you will be down that rabbit hole in a flash chasing that last digit perfection which will not be of any real world use to you but your bank account will be groaning  :-DD :-DD >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50509 on: February 23, 2020, 12:03:00 pm »
I’m not sure most folk give a crap about that class stuff apart from the slightly mental royalists and the people who use it as an identity. At least in the major cities that’s the case.

Central cities? I probably agree with you.

In Isleworth maybe not, but in "nice" places like Esher it is more evident. I can think of similar divides in Brizzle.

In Cambridge it is town vs gown vs tourists; those three populations occupy the same space, but never intersect nor interact.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50510 on: February 23, 2020, 12:11:09 pm »
All this talk of class reminds me of this.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50511 on: February 23, 2020, 12:51:41 pm »
Have any of you guys ever had one of these fail on you?? I was using one on the output of a powersupply to power a small circuit. The current was way higher than I was expecting it to be, which after much head scratching turned out to be that this adapter had an internal resistance of 32R. Never had that happen before. The adapter has been with me for many years and has never been abused or put under any stupidly high currents etc. It looks perfect from the outside. Glad the current limit was set low enough to avoid a bang though.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50512 on: February 23, 2020, 12:55:27 pm »
It's not so bad med, you just have to pretend it's useful to know the voltage of a battery to the nearest 100nV...

Doesn't this https://www.equipnet.com/auctions/lot-of-6-schlumberger-solartron-7075-digital-listid-611852/ cause your trigger finger to itch, just a little?   :-DD

Not sure how this can be described as "working" when there's no "oil" in it, and unless I'm gravely mistaken, filling it with any kind of oil would pretty much prevent it from ever working again...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-Cell-Weston-Type-1268-H-Tinsley-Co-Working-With-Thermometer/324037465607

A question here for my fellow Brits: what's the likely import duty on TE from the US with a purchase price of around £150-200?

Sorry I missed the discord last night, was still recovering from self inflicted wounds and didn't feel up to it.   ::)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50513 on: February 23, 2020, 12:58:08 pm »
Have any of you guys ever had one of these fail on you?? I was using one on the output of a powersupply to power a small circuit. The current was way higher than I was expecting it to be, which after much head scratching turned out to be that this adapter had an internal resistance of 32R. Never had that happen before. The adapter has been with me for many years and has never been abused or put under any stupidly high currents etc. It looks perfect from the outside. Glad the current limit was set low enough to avoid a bang though.

McBryce.

Nope, never had one fail on me, but then again, I would not have thought about using to carry power to a circuit, in my mind I see it purely as a means of connecting a meter to a circuit to maintain signal integrity.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50514 on: February 23, 2020, 01:07:03 pm »
It's not so bad med, you just have to pretend it's useful to know the voltage of a battery to the nearest 100nV...

Doesn't this https://www.equipnet.com/auctions/lot-of-6-schlumberger-solartron-7075-digital-listid-611852/ cause your trigger finger to itch, just a little?   :-DD

Not sure how this can be described as "working" when there's no "oil" in it, and unless I'm gravely mistaken, filling it with any kind of oil would pretty much prevent it from ever working again...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-Cell-Weston-Type-1268-H-Tinsley-Co-Working-With-Thermometer/324037465607

A question here for my fellow Brits: what's the likely import duty on TE from the US with a purchase price of around £150-200?

Sorry I missed the discord last night, was still recovering from self inflicted wounds and didn't feel up to it.   ::)

I think you will find it to be somewhere in the realm of approx 25% of the item price / value.

With the Weston Cell, some chancer, who clearly has heard that Weston Cells are sought after but does not understand anything about them, or how to research about them  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:09:51 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50515 on: February 23, 2020, 01:10:46 pm »

McBryce.

What brand is it?  (usually stamped in the plastic on the underside)

Never had a Pomona branded one fail.   I do have issues with cheapo Brand-X ones where the BNC plugs are not the correct size, making them hard to fit on some cables and equipment...

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #50516 on: February 23, 2020, 01:11:15 pm »

McBryce.

Not that kind, but other kinds of test cable connectors assembled in China. The cable connectors weren't made to come apart but I cut into them anyway and found some horrible connections hidden from view. If you can, crack into it and see what's inside.  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #50517 on: February 23, 2020, 01:18:30 pm »
Med, how are you getting on with your search for that 7.5 digit meter  :-DD,

The only way that's going to happen is if one falls out of the sky for free.  ;D

OK then...  If one falls out of the sky for $20 - just give it a flick my way.  If it's a HP, make it $30.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50518 on: February 23, 2020, 01:26:32 pm »

McBryce.

What brand is it?  (usually stamped in the plastic on the underside)

Never had a Pomona branded one fail.   I do have issues with cheapo Brand-X ones where the BNC plugs are not the correct size, making them hard to fit on some cables and equipment...

They are no-name parts, but pretty good quality (other than the recent internal resistance issue). The others are all fine and never gave me an issue.

Regarding the use. I sometimes use them on the powersupply because I have some nice long shielded leads (dual core, the current isn't carried in the shield) with crocodile clips at one end but BNC at the other, but obviously only for low current applications.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50519 on: February 23, 2020, 01:41:13 pm »
Porcupine  = car with more antennas than necessary. Usually because the guy who drives it can’t see or remember the ones he already put on it.

Anyway that was total shit. Some decent stuff but the prices were fucking stupid and they wouldn’t budge. Going on the shit list that one. Biggest complaint is the fund raising trash table which had the fine example of a Farnell L30 which was “working” for £20. Working consisted of missing captive mains cable, missing the meter needle and a knob.  :palm: :palm:. Missed a Keithley 4.5 digit LCD meter someone got for £20 which was a bit high for “untested” IMHO.  :--. Bought nothing.

Time to go for a shit and a walk now

Ding! OK, now I get it. Hamfest but the prices sucked. Some Hobo with too many antennas crashed his ride.

Now I can go on with my life full of confidence.  ;D

If that's all it takes, my friend... you are the fortunate son.  ;)

mnem
"Welcome to the TEA Party." ~me
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50520 on: February 23, 2020, 02:11:12 pm »
All this talk of class reminds me of this.

That is remembered because it was extremely accurate, and to a lesser extent still is accurate.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #50521 on: February 23, 2020, 02:16:42 pm »

McBryce.

I had one of those fail open circuit.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50522 on: February 23, 2020, 02:18:08 pm »

I have too many DVMs that need checking/fettling - so no, I'm not tempted.

The oil is not necessary for it to function. The oil helps ensure stability by reducing temperature changes.

More to the point, it contains liquid mercury in a glass envelope, and it is illegal to ship that.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50523 on: February 23, 2020, 02:28:14 pm »

Edit...and I have no class.  :-DD

Never in my life have I been called "Sir" so frequently as when I was visiting the ex-colonies. (the German "Sie" and the French "Vous" are used much more democratically, IMNSHO. The "Sir"'ing in the US feels like a strange mix of salesman servility and professional contempt.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50524 on: February 23, 2020, 02:33:42 pm »

Edit...and I have no class.  :-DD

Never in my life have I been called "Sir" so frequently as when I was visiting the ex-colonies. (the German "Sie" and the French "Vous" are used much more democratically, IMNSHO. The "Sir"'ing in the US feels like a strange mix of salesman servility and professional contempt.

It's all in how it is said...   with real respect, or contempt/servility.  Both are used.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf