Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14928442 times)

dazz1, wkb and 284 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50600 on: February 24, 2020, 01:18:26 pm »
I'm getting old. Woke up today a hurting pup. Sore muscles in my arms and chest from jackassing that heavy 535A around on the bench. I may have to hold off doing that last capacitor today in order to heal up a bit.

In addition all that moving is denting and scratching the bench 2 surface. Oh well, at least the end of this is in sight.   

See it this way: Tek saved you from a membership in an expensive fitness studio. And it glows in the dark.  8)

TBH necking some Polonium does that as well.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50601 on: February 24, 2020, 01:33:40 pm »
I'm getting old. Woke up today a hurting pup. Sore muscles in my arms and chest from jackassing that heavy 535A around on the bench. I may have to hold off doing that last capacitor today in order to heal up a bit.

In addition all that moving is denting and scratching the bench 2 surface. Oh well, at least the end of this is in sight.   

I name thee Teksisyphus:

Love it!  :-DD :-DD :-DD And that's exactly the way I feel moving that big bastard around.  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50602 on: February 24, 2020, 01:43:17 pm »

See it this way: Tek saved you from a membership in an expensive fitness studio. And it glows in the dark.  8)

Polonium? Perhaps you've meant Plutonium.  :)

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50603 on: February 24, 2020, 01:45:28 pm »
That would work too. I did mean polonium. Glows blue like a Tek and if you ingest it it would save you from a membership in an expensive fitness studio :)

Edit: for some context, read about Alexander Litvinenko
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:51:21 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50604 on: February 24, 2020, 01:51:09 pm »
As it currently sits this morning mocking me.  ::) In order to replace that last capacitor I have to turn it 180 degrees and THEN lay it on it's side.  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #50605 on: February 24, 2020, 01:52:05 pm »
This is more like the Ikea experience I reckon.

There is something wrong with your mental faculties if Ikea furniture poses anything close to that much of a challenge. Having to disassemble a part because you jumped the gun as you ignored the manual, maybe. Anything beyond that raises serious questions.
Totes with you on this one, even with out instructions there are reasonable to work out, just take your time and think it through before jumping in with both feet.

Never had the pleasure of assembling IKEA furniture.  I have put together my share of RTA and found it never is, with the exception of a desk from Walmart that Mrs GreyWoolfe wanted.  Went together easily and well and only needed her help once to turn it upright.  It is actually a nice piece of furniture.  Shame the desk is too small for my needs or I would have bought one for me.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50606 on: February 24, 2020, 01:59:06 pm »
That would work too. I did mean polonium. Glows blue like a Tek and if you ingest it it would save you from a membership in an expensive fitness studio :)

Edit: for some context, read about Alexander Litvinenko

Hmm, if it is glowing blue, I think this is Cerenkov radiation, caused by the alpha particles traveling faster than light in a certain medium.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50607 on: February 24, 2020, 02:12:08 pm »
Nothing quite as exciting. It ionises the air around it apparently  :(

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50608 on: February 24, 2020, 02:53:08 pm »
Nothing quite as exciting. It ionises the air around it apparently  :(

Ah, yes. If you look at this Pu-sphere in the picture I've posted you can spot a blue corona around the Pu-sphere.
Probably the same effect.  :D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50609 on: February 24, 2020, 03:11:49 pm »
I wasn't a member. Only the assassins society which meant drawing a victim from a hat once a week and the victim had to avoid being stabbed by a joke shop knife in the neck by about 30 people. At which point you'd have to die a loud and horrible death wherever it occurred (usually in lectures). If the death wasn't loud and horrible as voted by the committee you'd have to pay the bar round. You'd get arrested now  :-DD

Ah fond memories. Some friends at Uni used to play a game called 'killer' where there was a designated victim with all the other participants assassins who might work individually or in teams. The victim had the advantage of knowing who all the participants were, but still had to keep their guard up outside of designated neutral zones (such as the Union bar).

If you think you'd get arrested now for your version, tactics and weaponry consider the likely current response to the following.

Many of you will be familiar with the M72 LAW anti-tank rocket, shown here with the launch tube opened, the business end is to the left:

A friend, and participant in killer, John* had come into possession of a used LAW launch tube left over from an army exercise by perfectly legitimate means (His old school was the sort of place where the Combined Cadet Force got to go on real military exercises and many CCF members legitimately expected to be running one of the services, or at least very senior in them, in 20-30 years time). Obviously this munition was spent and didn't contain the actual projectile, and moreover, the igniter mechanism had been fired so the thing was completely inert.

The igniter is that lump to the top right. It turns out that the heart of the igniter is essentially a .22 starting pistol that takes a .22 blank cartridge. It's cocked by extending the telescoping launch tube, decocked by closing it, and fired with a press trigger on the top, just to the left of the rear sight. There was also a manual safety pin (not shown) similar to the pin on a grenade, that had to be pulled out to unlock the end cap.

Although the igniter mechanism is single use, it's quite easy to dismantle and re-arm with a new blank cartridge. If you then seal off the base of the launch tube (right) all the exhaust gases from the blank go down the main body of the tube. Add some wadding with a couple of disks of thin cardboard to make a seal and you get a gas propelled piston that will travel the length of the barrel and then come to a halt.

If you top this piston with some shaving foam you have the mother of all custard pie throwers, accurate and effective out to about 20 feet. In one round of killer John deployed this as his weapon of choice, to devastating effect.

* Not his real name for obvious reasons.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50610 on: February 24, 2020, 03:17:39 pm »

I name thee Teksisyphus:   
Blue Teksisyphus :P

Done.

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50611 on: February 24, 2020, 03:19:26 pm »
What I found incredible was that while everyone could see that he was going crash, nobody thought about jumping into a vehicle and racing off to see the crash site in case by some miracle he was still alive  :wtf:
That would pretty much be a miracle in the religious sense. That's not anywhere near a survivable crash. It's a senseless death but pretty much what's to be expected. It was also abundantly clear this rocket didn't and couldn't serve it's supposed purpose.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:21:00 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50612 on: February 24, 2020, 03:28:06 pm »
As it currently sits this morning mocking me.  ::)      In order to replace that last capacitor I have to turn it 180 degrees and THEN lay it on it's side.  :phew:

There's a reason you always see a big honkin' cutting mat on my workbench; not only does it HELP protect the surface, but with big heavy stuff like this, it makes spinning the thing around EASY. Especially with stuff that tends to concentrate the weight on a few spots, like that THX-certified Onkyo Receiver I showed y'all a while back.  |O  Just grab a corner of the cutting mat for the leverage you need to turn the thing.  :-+

mnem
*tech-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50613 on: February 24, 2020, 03:33:52 pm »

Polonium? Perhaps you've meant Plutonium.  :)

239Pu - half-life 24100 years, specific activity 0.062 Curies/gram
210Po - half-life 138.376 days, specific activity 4500 Curies/gram

So 210Po is roughly 72580 times more radioactive than 239Pu. I'd happily hold a 1 gm chunk of unshielded 239Pu in a gloved hand, I wouldn't go into the same room as an unshielded 1 gm 210Po source. In fact I'd want to be 270 times further away from a 210Po source than I would a 239Pu source of the same mass.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:36:20 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50614 on: February 24, 2020, 03:49:48 pm »
As it currently sits this morning mocking me.  ::)      In order to replace that last capacitor I have to turn it 180 degrees and THEN lay it on it's side.  :phew:

There's a reason you always see a big honkin' cutting mat on my workbench; not only does it HELP protect the surface, but with big heavy stuff like this, it makes spinning the thing around EASY. Especially with stuff that tends to concentrate the weight on a few spots, like that THX-certified Onkyo Receiver I showed y'all a while back.  |O  Just grab a corner of the cutting mat for the leverage you need to turn the thing.  :-+

mnem
*tech-ily*

I do have a mat but it proved not to be heavy enough and was getting mangled so I have to run "bare back" and take the risks.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50615 on: February 24, 2020, 04:06:02 pm »
You want one of the thick, stiff ENKAY mats. They're about 5mm thick and hardface plastic on both sides; you can barely bend the thing. I've put an engine block on one on my old bench and still spun it around as needed. :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50616 on: February 24, 2020, 04:08:30 pm »
What I found incredible was that while everyone could see that he was going crash, nobody thought about jumping into a vehicle and racing off to see the crash site in case by some miracle he was still alive  :wtf:
That would pretty much be a miracle in the religious sense. That's not anywhere near a survivable crash. It's a senseless death but pretty much what's to be expected. It was also abundantly clear this rocket didn't and couldn't serve it's supposed purpose.

Yeah... this is definitely a case of "the guy died doing what he loved"; in this instance making an ass of himself as publicly as possible. It's entirely possible the motivation was as much financial as wingnuttery; every failed "attempt" has resulted in a cash influx for his next "attempt". Added to that is the repeated conjecture that he was also fighting cancer; if so, the payout from Discovery Channel was likely the "magic number" for his surviving family as far as he was concerned, so he decided to go out on his own terms.  :-//

mnem
"If it bleeds it leads."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:18:00 pm by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #50617 on: February 24, 2020, 04:47:01 pm »

I name thee Teksisyphus:

Love it!  :-DD :-DD :-DD And that's exactly the way I feel moving that big bastard around.  :-+ :-+

this is why i try not to work on anything bigger than TM500 plugins.    >:D
specialization is for insects.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50618 on: February 24, 2020, 04:58:13 pm »

239Pu - half-life 24100 years, specific activity 0.062 Curies/gram
210Po - half-life 138.376 days, specific activity 4500 Curies/gram

So 210Po is roughly 72580 times more radioactive than 239Pu. I'd happily hold a 1 gm chunk of unshielded 239Pu in a gloved hand, I wouldn't go into the same room as an unshielded 1 gm 210Po source. In fact I'd want to be 270 times further away from a 210Po source than I would a 239Pu source of the same mass.

In atomic batteries you can find 210Po (e.g. as a heater in the Sovjet modules which landed on the moon)
or 238Pu with a half-life of ca. 87.4 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium#Power_and_heat_source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonium-210#Applications

210Po is very active, yes, but it produces alpha radiation which can be easily shielded. But I would not keep both of them in my gloved hands.
Way too much radioactivity involved :)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50619 on: February 24, 2020, 05:13:35 pm »
Have any of you ever bought spares from Fluke? How was that experience?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50620 on: February 24, 2020, 05:14:20 pm »
Have any of you ever bought spares from Fluke? How was that experience?

Buy them from TME. Better than Fluke.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50621 on: February 24, 2020, 05:19:48 pm »
Buy them from TME. Better than Fluke.
I'm not seeing a lot of spare parts on there. Am I missing something?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50622 on: February 24, 2020, 05:25:41 pm »
Depends what parts. All the ones I ever needed were on there.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50623 on: February 24, 2020, 05:27:18 pm »
Depends what parts. All the ones I ever needed were on there.
You mean fuses and such? I'm after case parts and similar bigger items.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50624 on: February 24, 2020, 05:42:44 pm »
Probably he is after some more fancy stuff, e.g. the LTFLU-1 / resistor combo or something.
This is not available at TME.   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf