Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552299 times)

TizianoHV, Vince, ProtonFox and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50825 on: February 27, 2020, 10:46:23 am »
Not all smart TV's have either microphone or camera built in, my Samsung has neither and I'm very happy with it. You can also of course if you are so paranoid about it, restrict its access to the web by unplugging its Ethernet cable when you don't want to access the internet on it.
It's best to avoid the smart features of most equipment. Performance is often woeful and support is optional and dropped at will. They're a risk to your network even when supported. Security never is a priority. It's probably best to use TVs as screens and to provide the smarts yourself.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #50826 on: February 27, 2020, 10:47:34 am »
Can you imagine this one on bd bench?  ;) :D

::)   Yep.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50827 on: February 27, 2020, 10:48:58 am »
Can you imagine this one on bd bench?  ;) :D

::)   Yep.

You should have Taken SHMBO for a weekend away in Canberra and brought it. No Guts no Glory  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50828 on: February 27, 2020, 10:59:43 am »
Snap goes the chipboard!  :-DD

I’m only doing sub 10kg things now. 2245 is pushing it. I’ve got 100kg load capacity on the new bench which is enough for 2x 8kg monitors, the usual tat etc. I’ve modified it so I can get an “HP half rack stack” to my left now  :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #50829 on: February 27, 2020, 11:08:28 am »
You should have Taken SHMBO for a weekend away in Canberra and brought it. No Guts no Glory  :-DD
?

A 3 hours each way road trip wouldn't go down well ATM.  Besides, I was working Saturday, Sunday & Monday.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50830 on: February 27, 2020, 11:20:58 am »
You have to point your router’s DNS server to an upstream DNS server which it can get that info from. If it works out of the box it’s using the resolver on the box which is probably configured by your ISP or uses OpenDNS or google DNS upstream.

Your PC is told where the DNS server is on your local network when it gets its IP address via DHCP.

If you add a PiHole to your network all you’re doing is sticking another box in there and telling your router to use DHCP to tell everyone to use the PiHole dude for DNS.

No, that is not how it works.

In DNS we talk about 3 different actors;  name servers, full-service resolvers, and stub resolvers.

• The name server is loaded with data from a file. It answers queries from that, and nothing else. 
  • The full-service resolver is configured with a special set of name server addresses to boot-strap from, the root servers, and nothing else. The rest, it can recursively find by asking the root and traversing the tree.  It then caches this data. 
  • The stub resolver is the libraries your application are linked with in the end node. They, on Real Computers, look in /etc/resolv.conf for a set of full-service resolvers to query. The behaviour is  similar on Windows.

The PiHole is a Full-Service Resolver with a limiting configuration that makes it behave, in part, like a name server. If you have bought "broadband" instead of actual Internet you might nog be able to use it as a full-service resolver without configuring it to forward is queries to another full-service resolver. Which, of course makes the Pihole partially useless, because the entity running the other FSR will get your queries anyway. The goal must be that the PiHole or alternatively, the  FSR you set up with less blockings, can talk to the root servers and all other name servers that server names on the Internet.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50831 on: February 27, 2020, 11:57:54 am »

I’m only doing sub 10kg things now. 2245 is pushing it. I’ve got 100kg load capacity on the new bench which is enough for 2x 8kg monitors, the usual tat etc. I’ve modified it so I can get an “HP half rack stack” to my left now  :-+
Geez, 8kg monitors, what size are they, FFS, 65"  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:02:37 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50832 on: February 27, 2020, 12:05:35 pm »
You have to point your router’s DNS server to an upstream DNS server which it can get that info from. If it works out of the box it’s using the resolver on the box which is probably configured by your ISP or uses OpenDNS or google DNS upstream.

Your PC is told where the DNS server is on your local network when it gets its IP address via DHCP.

If you add a PiHole to your network all you’re doing is sticking another box in there and telling your router to use DHCP to tell everyone to use the PiHole dude for DNS.

In DNS we talk about 3 different actors;  name servers, full-service resolvers, and stub resolvers.

• The name server is loaded with data from a file. It answers queries from that, and nothing else. 
  • The full-service resolver is configured with a special set of name server addresses to boot-strap from, the root servers, and nothing else. The rest, it can recursively find by asking the root and traversing the tree.  It then caches this data. 
  • The stub resolver is the libraries your application are linked with in the end node. They, on Real Computers, look in /etc/resolv.conf for a set of full-service resolvers to query. The behaviour is  similar on Windows.

The PiHole is a Full-Service Resolver with a limiting configuration that makes it behave, in part, like a name server. If you have bought "broadband" instead of actual Internet you might nog be able to use it as a full-service resolver without configuring it to forward is queries to another full-service resolver. Which, of course makes the Pihole partially useless, because the entity running the other FSR will get your queries anyway. The goal must be that the PiHole or alternatively, the  FSR you set up with less blockings, can talk to the root servers and all other name servers that server names on the Internet.

Correct but from an end user perspective too much info  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50833 on: February 27, 2020, 12:11:23 pm »

Geez, 8kg monitors, what size are they, FFS, 65"  :-DD

This is mostly an engineering overestimation. They are clamped to the edge of the desk, the monitors weigh 4kg each and the stands 2kg. (2x 22” Iiyama).

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50834 on: February 27, 2020, 12:29:49 pm »
Opps, just checked the weight of my monitor 23" LG 1920 * 1080 and its 4.2kg, It feels like its only 2kg, I just don't know my own strength I guess  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50835 on: February 27, 2020, 12:39:50 pm »
Yeah they tend not to feel as heavy as they are. I put this down to the size and the memory of old big CRTs. I certainly don’t want to lug a 21” FD Trinitron around now  :-DD. Some younger folk arriving these days in the IT industry have never owned a CRT and think the LCDs are heavy

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50836 on: February 27, 2020, 12:45:51 pm »
Some younger folk arriving these days in the IT industry have never owned a CRT and think the LCDs are heavy

I'll give them a lesson.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, salvagedcircuitry, AVGresponding

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50837 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:01 pm »
I have one of these old CRT Monitor swing arms bolted to my desk. Very handy for moving the scope(s) nearer to larger DUT's that don't fit on the desk. It currently has a TEK 2465, Agilent DSO3062 and a Rigol MSO-1104z balanced on it. The bench does tend to creek when the arm is extended, but luckily the bench is bolted to the wall, otherwise the entire bench would most likely tip over.

The arm was designed for CRT monitors up to 17in, but I've no idea how close I am to the weight limit.

McBryce.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:51:10 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50838 on: February 27, 2020, 12:49:58 pm »
Yeah they tend not to feel as heavy as they are. I put this down to the size and the memory of old big CRTs. I certainly don’t want to lug a 21” FD Trinitron around now  :-DD. Some younger folk arriving these days in the IT industry have never owned a CRT and think the LCDs are heavy
Thats so true, I remember going to Epsom to collect a 21 CRT monitor for Cad purposes and I had to carry it down a narrow flight of steps from an upstairs office, I was bleeding knackered by the time I'd got it into the car  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50839 on: February 27, 2020, 12:53:17 pm »
I still remember the giving away to a staff member my 81cm CRT and how thankful they were at the time :-DD Saved me lugging the beast to the E Waste and paying for the privilege >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50840 on: February 27, 2020, 12:59:06 pm »
Strewth that was a big heavy bastard then   :scared:, so glad that wasn't me  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50841 on: February 27, 2020, 01:04:00 pm »

You haven't lived until you've tried lugging a 1970's 26" colour TV up a flight of stairs on your own...   They must have weighed around 50Kg, more if there was a fancy wooden enclosure with shutters etc.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50842 on: February 27, 2020, 01:13:01 pm »
This is mostly an engineering overestimation. They are clamped to the edge of the desk, the monitors weigh 4kg each and the stands 2kg. (2x 22” Iiyama).

Ah. Regulation 42/15. :D
Quote:
"Regulation 42/15: "Pressure Variances in IRC Tank Storage". Part of the basic operational specifications for impulse engines, written by Montgomery Scott. The tanks could actually handle more pressure than the regulations allowed – in 2369, Geordi La Forge cited it as part of the impulse specifications while he and Scott worked to make the USS Jenolan operational, at which point Scotty, realizing that he was thinking of this regulation, assured him that, as its author, he knew the tanks could be more efficient, but that La Forge should "Forget it. I wrote it; a good engineer is always a wee bit conservative… at least on paper." (TNG: "Relics") "

Source:
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Starfleet_General_Orders_and_Regulations#Starfleet_Regulations

:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50843 on: February 27, 2020, 01:24:19 pm »
You haven't lived until you've tried lugging a 1970's 26" colour TV up a flight of stairs on your own...   They must have weighed around 50Kg, more if there was a fancy wooden enclosure with shutters etc.

When I was in the 20ies, I've moved around a WEGA 3062 color TV set. Two stairs up. Alone. Wasn't really funny.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50844 on: February 27, 2020, 01:54:27 pm »

I've taught this university level. Someone being wrong on the Internet on DNS is not tolerable ;-)

/Måns, mentioned in RFC4033

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50845 on: February 27, 2020, 02:12:28 pm »

I've taught this university level. Someone being wrong on the Internet on DNS is not tolerable ;-)

/Måns, mentioned in RFC4033

Understood  :-DD

Back home now so a slightly more extensive reply. Your points are true for the Internet at large and all the front facing stuff but most ISP end users (and last mile infrastructure) and corporates with private network space use fully caching nameservers to keep traffic and RTT down and control borders. Local resolver on the box will talk directly to the cache which is authoritative. The cache will service a zone off the public internet as well (like .local). We're using dnsmasq and a large Active Directory forest for this. There are probably more of those networks out there than any other including the internet. I mean we have 32 IP addresses with about 12,000 devices behind them and every Thompson / D-Link / TP-Link POS router that ships runs nameserver cache.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:14:18 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50846 on: February 27, 2020, 02:32:27 pm »
Well, nice as it is to have finally had my 7061 calibrated,
All in all, this is turning out to be a very expensive trip.  :-DD

Welcome to VoltNutWorld :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry, grizewald

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50847 on: February 27, 2020, 02:38:52 pm »
Thats so true, I remember going to Epsom to collect a 21 CRT monitor for Cad purposes and I had to carry it down a narrow flight of steps from an upstairs office, I was bleeding knackered by the time I'd got it into the car  :phew:

When I got rid of my 28" widescreen CRT TV... I got the gorillas that brought my 43" LCD TV to manhandle it down the 5 narrow steps ourside my front door. I warned them during purchase that it would be a two-man lift!

I did actually lift it once myself - off the floor onto the stand, one edge at a time. I'm still surprised I didn't drop it. It never moved thereafter.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50848 on: February 27, 2020, 03:10:27 pm »
Could have rolled it down the stairs  :-DD

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50849 on: February 27, 2020, 03:33:50 pm »

When I was in the 20ies, I've moved around a WEGA 3062 color TV set. Two stairs up. Alone. Wasn't really funny.

Two things to notice about our 20ies:  (1) we were amazingly strong, and (2) amazingly stupid.

When my car wouldn't start, I remember pushing it up a small incline nearby, then I would run round to the driver's door, jump in and let it roll down the hill again, then start it by dumping the clutch in 1st gear.   Today, I think I'd have gotten around to changing the battery!   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf