Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14822366 times)

Ice-Tea and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50900 on: February 28, 2020, 09:50:31 am »
BD - you're shameless.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #50901 on: February 28, 2020, 09:52:54 am »
BD - you're shameless desperate for bench of good gear.
Fixed !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50902 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:39 am »
Bored is the word. Need something to tinker with. Everything I've got works or is missing parts I can't get hold of at the moment.

Edit: also just outbid on an entirely untested Keithley 196 on ebay. Literally sitting there at £47. In last 10 seconds it went for £155 which is way over the limit for an unknown.  :palm:. I might have put that down for a 34401A in unknown shape as I could strip and sell parts worst case.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:04:16 am by bd139 »

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50903 on: February 28, 2020, 10:00:28 am »
If bd had been at the cal lab in Gotland with me, the amount of drool would probably have flooded the place!

Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: edavid, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50904 on: February 28, 2020, 10:04:44 am »
Me too!

Also, bah, just missed out on a Keithley 196, went for £155 + £11   :(
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50905 on: February 28, 2020, 10:06:32 am »
Hahaha you were on that one too then  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50906 on: February 28, 2020, 10:07:23 am »
Bored is the word. Need something to tinker with. Everything I've got works or is missing parts I can't get hold of at the moment.
Know what you mean. Got bugger all stock and got roped into painting the house.  :horse:
29C here today and it was horrible so went for a drive (Aircon  :phew: ) to get stuff I needed for the farm instead then the youngest turned up after work with a 6 pack so he, mum and I cleaned them up !  >:D
Just past 11pm and getting a second wind when I should be  :=\ instead.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50907 on: February 28, 2020, 10:31:29 am »
Hahaha you were on that one too then  :-DD

:-[

I should have known better than to try to win it on a relatively low bid (circa £100), but I'm holding back a bit as I'm going to tilt at something else from the US...   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50908 on: February 28, 2020, 10:35:42 am »
Thank mansaxel, bd, horse, Cerebus and the others for the DNS discussion. I really enjoing it, sorry for the others who were annoied by that.

Temped to open a new thread just about that in the "Computing" section, this is so much value it can't be stay hidden in the TEA, or yes it must stay here  :popcorn:
I don't think many were annoyed by it at all, but I do think many, and I'm one who wonders why everyone needs this level of secrecy, it's almost as if there was some deep dark military secretive plot your all involved in. I can't for a single second believe that anyone is involved in anything even sightly illegal, therefore have nothing to hide,  just curious as to the reasons people seem to knocking themselves out, and costing themselves extra expense, doing what is already freely available.  :-// :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50909 on: February 28, 2020, 10:58:23 am »
I don't give a shit if that is any help. I believe a lot of it is actually a self imposed distraction from other mortal risks. I prefer to concentrate on them

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50910 on: February 28, 2020, 11:00:47 am »
So much for my "sleep day"...   ::)

I don't know enough about Tek mainframes to know if this is worth bidding on or not:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-7934-Storage-Oscilloscope/372968505656

The dent in the upper left rear of the case is slightly worrying, though these guys do pack for the apocalypse. Unfortunately they also use DPD, but you can't have everything...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:06:05 am by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50911 on: February 28, 2020, 11:05:49 am »
So much for my "sleep day"...   ::)

I don't know enough about Tek mainframes to know if this is a good deal or not:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-7934-Storage-Oscilloscope/372968505656

The dent in the upper left rear of the case is slightly worrying, though these guys do pack for the apocalypse. Unfortunately they also use DPD, but you can't have everything...

I wouldn't touch a CRO that appears to be knocked around.  :scared:
This from the Repair thread:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50912 on: February 28, 2020, 11:09:32 am »

I wouldn't touch a CRO that appears to be knocked around.  :scared:
This from the Repair thread:

Holy drunken traces Batman!

That looks like it was drawn by someone sitting in the back of a Hummer being driven by Henry Rollins!   :-DD

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50913 on: February 28, 2020, 11:12:07 am »
Thank mansaxel, bd, horse, Cerebus and the others for the DNS discussion. I really enjoing it, sorry for the others who were annoied by that.

Temped to open a new thread just about that in the "Computing" section, this is so much value it can't be stay hidden in the TEA, or yes it must stay here  :popcorn:
I don't think many were annoyed by it at all, but I do think many, and I'm one who wonders why everyone needs this level of secrecy, it's almost as if there was some deep dark military secretive plot your all involved in. I can't for a single second believe that anyone is involved in anything even sightly illegal, therefore have nothing to hide,  just curious as to the reasons people seem to knocking themselves out, and costing themselves extra expense, doing what is already freely available.  :-// :-//

It's more a matter of principle.

Your ISP has no right to create profiles of its users based on their browsing history and sell those profiles to Tom, Dick and Harry.
Even more importantly, your government has absolutely no right to treat everyone as a criminal and hoover up everything one does on the Internet and store it until it becomes useful to them.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Mr. Scram

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50914 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:49 am »

Not annoyed either but amused and confused because 99% of what's been discussed here for the last day or so I have been totally clueless.  :o ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, beanflying

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50915 on: February 28, 2020, 11:20:28 am »
  • "But it boots fast!" Like I fucking care.
That's the thing though: it doesn't!

My laptops (work and private) all run the latest Linux Mint as their base OS. With every release, the systemd mediated boot process becomes more and more inconsistent with boot times from "fast" to "what the fuck is it doing?!".

I'm seriously contemplating moving to Devuan.

Holy crap, something I can respond to. Recently installed Mint on an old desktop that was running Win7. It takes Mint over twice as long to boot and I was wondering to...what the fuck is it doing? I thought it was SUPPOSED to be a "light" and "responsive" OS.  :-// [/list]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:23:43 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50916 on: February 28, 2020, 11:22:44 am »

Your ISP has no right to create profiles of its users based on their browsing history and sell those profiles to Tom, Dick and Harry.
Even more importantly, your government has absolutely no right to treat everyone as a criminal and hoover up everything one does on the Internet and store it until it becomes useful to them.

I don't disagree with the points raised, but it still seems extreme. What happens when you go outside any and come under the surveillance of the CCTV networks in towns and around areas such as local shops? They have the same kind of potential for misuse surely? 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50917 on: February 28, 2020, 11:28:49 am »
    Holy crap, something I can respond to. Recently installed Mint on an old desktop that was running Win7. It takes Mint over twice as long to boot and I was wondering to...what the fuck is it doing? I thought it was SUPPOSED to be a "light" and "responsive" OS.  :-// [/list]

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has noticed this! I would look closer at what the hell it is doing, but systemd and its binary log files don't exactly make that a simple task.

One of the things I always liked about Linux was that the text log files and understandable log messages made it simple to see what was happening in the system if things were not working as expected. Systemd seems to be trying to make Linux as impenetrable as Windows.
      Lord of Sealand

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
    • Tek nut
    « Reply #50918 on: February 28, 2020, 11:29:29 am »
    And now for something completely off topic.  :P :P :-DD

I should be getting a boat load of capacitors today to start my latest mission to excise all the old electrolytics from my equipment.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #50919 on: February 28, 2020, 11:30:23 am »

While I'd agree that they have no moral right to do so, sadly they have been allowed the legal right (one way or another) to do so.

The biggest danger for me is the use of these data to exert manipulative influence on the general population, 90%+ of whom lack the knowledge to understand even how advertising and traditional mass media can control their decisions.
    Move it up to mass social media, and the influence increases whilst the number of people that are aware they are being manipulated decreases.

The realisation that we are living in the "post truth" age is quite disturbing.
    nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #50920 on: February 28, 2020, 11:38:54 am »
    @med6753 Why mint is slow. Once there was unix. It worked on really slow CPUs that cost 10x the amount of usual ones and lagged out all the time. Then along came the optimising compilers and stuff and faster CPUs and it became usable and productive. GNU came along and decided that all these tools were closed source and too expensive and built their own from the ground up but couldn't and still can't to this day throw a kernel together that works. Linus came along and threw together a kernel (Linux) and some clever folk glued all the GNU stuff to it. Circa 1998-2002 this was pretty good. It mostly just worked and was fast as the corporations left it alone and the hardware was simple. However GNU liked to do interesting work so they buried more and more features into these tools which eventually made them fat steaming turds.  Then along came Redhat and Freedesktop and decided to try and turn the entire thing into an every day usable desktop for the average user. This went through two major iterations of attempting to cram CORBA into it and adding layers of bloat to the top of Xwindows (Miguel now a Microsoft employee and pouring his fire into .net). Eventually Redhat managed to ship this turd as a desktop product, bought up all the Linux developers and now keeps them huddled away. Eventually someone in a boardroom and a whiteboard at Redhat decided that OSX and .Net was sexy and attempted to cram all that shit into the product. To do this they "standardised" on various bits of nasty which roughly emulated commercial software environments that none of their staff even looked at or understood, hired some LSD popping eejits to do the HCI side of things and kicked this out of the door. Now this was a tangled pile of shit so they thought "hey lets write a tangled pile of shit manager", hired the one guy who failed to produce an audio routing daemon that worked properly for a decade and now we have systemd. Due to marketing share the other religions had to comply with this or lose their food source so along comes Canonical and ships that pile of shit on top of their pile of shit and kicks out a more user friendly version of it "Ubuntu". Now because they were so big and successful they became targets for getting sued by people for shipping commercial software with their distribution so they don't bother and a lot of rough corners exist because they spent so long trying to reinvent another wheel for their brand of religion. So along comes Mint who try and smooth out all the rough corners and to do this they just shovelled more bloated turds on top.

So basically Mint is slow because as an engineering cultural phenomenon and not a cohesive operating system we threw 20 years of quality software engineering away to make something shiny because Apple and self interest by the developers but corporate overlords gave it to clueless tech personalities who just built more layers on top. So really we have a full whack orchestra of people playing with instruments made of mud, straw and shit under it all that no one truly knows how it works other than some guys at Redhat who everyone is now subject to and no one is able to fix the status quo. It's slow because it's bloated and poorly engineered.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:45:10 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, FransW, mansaxel

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
    « Reply #50921 on: February 28, 2020, 11:42:00 am »

I don't disagree with the points raised, but it still seems extreme. What happens when you go outside any and come under the surveillance of the CCTV networks in towns and around areas such as local shops? They have the same kind of potential for misuse surely?

Indeed they do and I'm glad I don't live in Big Brother country any more.

The UK's wholesale surveillance society gives me the creeps. Everyone has a fundamental right to privacy. If someone is reasonably suspected of being involved in criminal stuff, then monitoring sanctioned by a court can be appropriate, but to subject everyone to the kind of blanket surveillance that the UK has is extremely dangerous. Add some notoriously error prone AI systems trawling all that data and it's quite likely that you could get your door kicked in at 4AM by a bunch of military style police with machine guns and itchy trigger fingers. A false positive could get you killed (or given a heart attack).

Just because the technology exists, it does not give governments carte blanche to treat everyone as guilty unless they can prove their innocence. Maybe you believe that you can trust today's government. Even if you do (which would be naive), what happens when a truly terrible government gets their hands on the surveillance system? Good luck trying to form any kind of opposition to a bad government when they have tools like that at their disposal.

Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #50922 on: February 28, 2020, 11:42:32 am »

The ones around here don't work. Someone shot them  :-DD

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
    « Reply #50923 on: February 28, 2020, 11:43:14 am »
    Wall of text.

Is your return key broken?
      Lord of Sealand

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #50924 on: February 28, 2020, 11:44:32 am »