Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406694 times)

Peter_O, EggertEnjoyer123 and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50925 on: February 28, 2020, 11:46:09 am »
@med6753 Why mint is slow. Once there was unix. It worked on really slow CPUs that cost 10x the amount of usual ones and lagged out all the time. Then along came the optimising compilers and stuff and faster CPUs and it became usable and productive. GNU came along and decided that all these tools were closed source and too expensive and built their own from the ground up but couldn't and still can't to this day throw a kernel together that works. Linus came along and threw together a kernel (Linux) and some clever folk glued all the GNU stuff to it. Circa 1998-2002 this was pretty good. It mostly just worked and was fast as the corporations left it alone and the hardware was simple. However GNU liked to do interesting work so they buried more and more features into these tools which eventually made them fat steaming turds.  Then along came Redhat and Freedesktop and decided to try and turn the entire thing into an every day usable desktop for the average user. This went through two major iterations of attempting to cram CORBA into it and adding layers of bloat to the top of Xwindows (Miguel now a Microsoft employee and pouring his fire into .net). Eventually Redhat managed to ship this turd as a desktop product, bought up all the Linux developers and now keeps them huddled away. Eventually someone in a boardroom and a whiteboard at Redhat decided that OSX and .Net was sexy and attempted to cram all that shit into the product. To do this they "standardised" on various bits of nasty which roughly emulated commercial software environments that none of their staff even looked at or understood, hired some LSD popping eejits to do the HCI side of things and kicked this out of the door. Now this was a tangled pile of shit so they thought "hey lets write a tangled pile of shit manager", hired the one guy who failed to produce an audio routing daemon that worked properly for a decade and now we have systemd. Due to marketing share the other religions had to comply with this or lose their food source so along comes Canonical and ships that pile of shit on top of their pile of shit and kicks out a more user friendly version of it "Ubuntu". Now because they were so big and successful they became targets for getting sued by people for shipping commercial software with their distribution so they don't bother and a lot of rough corners exist because they spent so long trying to reinvent another wheel for their brand of religion. So along comes Mint who try and smooth out all the rough corners and to do this they just shovelled more bloated turds on top.

So basically Mint is slow because as an engineering cultural phenomenon and not a cohesive operating system we threw 20 years of quality software engineering away to make something shiny because Apple and self interest by the developers but gave it to clueless tech personalities who just built more layers on top. So really we have a full whack orchestra of people playing with instruments made of mud, straw and shit under it all that no one truly knows how it works other than some guys at Redhat who everyone is now subject to and no one is able to fix the status quo. It's slow because it's bloated and poorly engineered.

Now you don't expect me to read all that, do you?  >:D :-DD

Teasing...I got it. Too many hands in it which turned it into bloatware.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50926 on: February 28, 2020, 11:48:19 am »
Yep. It's something I had in onenote I was going to reply with the next time someone asks me that question for ref which happens at least once a week. I didn't type all that now :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50927 on: February 28, 2020, 11:54:50 am »
I don't disagree with the points raised, but it still seems extreme. What happens when you go outside any and come under the surveillance of the CCTV networks in towns and around areas such as local shops? They have the same kind of potential for misuse surely?

The ones around here don't work. Someone shot them  :-DD
The ones at our local parade of shops do because it is a well known, well it was a well known black spot for the local gangs to congregate on their bikes while wearing hoodies etc. Put the cameras up and they move on to somewhere mew out the area covered by the cameras.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50928 on: February 28, 2020, 11:57:42 am »
We get them. They're really nice people generally. Just as long as you're not selling crack on their territory. Then expect a couple more orifices.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50929 on: February 28, 2020, 01:04:25 pm »
  just curious as to the reasons people seem to knocking themselves out, and costing themselves extra expense, doing what is already freely available.  :-// :-//

Well, most of us can make do with a Uni-T meter to check the odd battery at home. Yet an alarming majority of the  inhabitants in this thread are buying lab-grade multimeters at an alarming pace.  Think of my obsession with this as just another rabbit hole.  Besides, I work with it, so need some sensibly built setup to keep me sane.

Then, on the privacy slant; I'm annoyed as hell about every google search starting with 15 ads these days. I want those ads to be clearly so, and not eerily well targeted. Such personalization has brought large English-speaking countries into political doldrums because people are misled by spinmasters targeting them and obscuring a more fair and balanced (the other kind of fair & balanced, not the Fox kind!) information flow.

This is not about us having anything to hide. It is about organisations collecting data (that we piecemeal will share) without accountability and then building a picture of us as individuals from that which can be used to shape a caricature of us that we're maybe not as fond of as the picture of us.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50930 on: February 28, 2020, 01:36:26 pm »
I don't think many were annoyed by it at all, but I do think many, and I'm one who wonders why everyone needs this level of secrecy, it's almost as if there was some deep dark military secretive plot your all involved in. I can't for a single second believe that anyone is involved in anything even sightly illegal, therefore have nothing to hide,  just curious as to the reasons people seem to knocking themselves out, and costing themselves extra expense, doing what is already freely available.  :-// :-//
That's just the "I've got nothing to hide" argument. You do, but that's for another time. Having nothing to hide still doesn't mean you want other people all up in your business. Having nothing to hide is actually why you should be left alone but endless amounts of organisations are forcing the issue. Though I think mansaxel has worded this much more eloquently than I'm currently able or willing. The short version is that people want to be left alone and lead their lives in peace without visible and invisible parties meddling.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2015/04/7-reasons-why-ive-got-nothing-to-hide-is-the-wrong-response-to-mass-surveillance/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:38:18 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, FransW

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #50931 on: February 28, 2020, 01:56:55 pm »
Having nothing to hide still doesn't mean you want other people all up in your business. Having nothing to hide is actually why you should be left alone but endless amounts of organisations are forcing the issue.

There is a standing "joke" in this household ... when SWMBO asks me if I've been looking at oscilloscopes or function generators on eBay - because she gets suggestions when browsing eBay.  We each use our own computer, so it must be dumb-ass IP address analysis.

Makes it impossible to go gift shopping - or even just to see what's available - on eBay.  That causes me to steer clear.  Thank you eBay - you are forcing me to avoid you for such purchases.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50932 on: February 28, 2020, 02:02:01 pm »
So basically Mint is slow because as an engineering cultural phenomenon and not a cohesive operating system we threw 20 years of quality software engineering away to make something shiny because Apple and self interest by the developers but corporate overlords gave it to clueless tech personalities who just built more layers on top. So really we have a full whack orchestra of people playing with instruments made of mud, straw and shit under it all that no one truly knows how it works other than some guys at Redhat who everyone is now subject to and no one is able to fix the status quo. It's slow because it's bloated and poorly engineered.

With equal validity, s/Mint/Windows/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:04:28 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50933 on: February 28, 2020, 02:04:27 pm »
  just curious as to the reasons people seem to knocking themselves out, and costing themselves extra expense, doing what is already freely available.  :-// :-//

Well, most of us can make do with a Uni-T meter to check the odd battery at home. Yet an alarming majority of the  inhabitants in this thread are buying lab-grade multimeters at an alarming pace.  Think of my obsession with this as just another rabbit hole.  Besides, I work with it, so need some sensibly built setup to keep me sane.

Then, on the privacy slant; I'm annoyed as hell about every google search starting with 15 ads these days. I want those ads to be clearly so, and not eerily well targeted. Such personalization has brought large English-speaking countries into political doldrums because people are misled by spinmasters targeting them and obscuring a more fair and balanced (the other kind of fair & balanced, not the Fox kind!) information flow.

This is not about us having anything to hide. It is about organisations collecting data (that we piecemeal will share) without accountability and then building a picture of us as individuals from that which can be used to shape a caricature of us that we're maybe not as fond of as the picture of us.
You make some valid points, I'll grant you that and food for thought, but you can do things to minimise the amount of surveillance, like Google, I use an ad blocker which removes those adverts at the start of every google search for instance. I use that on most sites, but then on others that rely on the revenue that adverts raise for them, I leave the ad blocker off, i.e. EEVBlog as money raised from Dave's YT channel helps to keep this forum free for us to use.

My comments are tongue in cheek and often designed to stimulate discussion as you guys may have spotted something that maybe the rest of us should be aware of, or at least concerned about. If my comments have ever annoyed anyone, then I apologise, they certainly are never intended to be anything else other than a friendly jibe, in the same manner as comments from others to and from members such as med6753 and mnementh etc., and most certainly should not be construed as anything else.  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50934 on: February 28, 2020, 02:11:31 pm »

An analogy which covers my thoughts: one turtle is crawling into the toilet bowl and one is crawling out of the toilet bowl. I prefer to ride the one crawling out where possible. The position swapped around 2015 similar to that tipping point when Tek scopes went shit and Agilent ones went good :)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50935 on: February 28, 2020, 02:12:03 pm »
OT, the Hermes guy was here and I have 2 soggy parcels.

Gave them a good wipe down with kitchen roll before I opened them; I love the rain, just not on my TE!

The AKAI graphic equaliser isn't strictly TE I guess, though if you force me to, I could probably create a logical argument to say that it is!
  :-DD
Was a small piece of plastic floating around in the box and a tiny rattle inside the case, which instantly triggered my "don't turn it on, take it apart!" instinct, and I can happily report it's a complete %$£*& to open, with a stupid tongue/latch arrangement between the top cover and the front panel   :wtf:
It's pretty sparse inside as you'd expect from one of this vintage (late 90s-early 2000s I think), has a 10 memory preset which I'm guessing may be a bit unreliable, as the rechargeable 2032 cell looks a bit past it to me, though if anyone knows better (2.8V powered off, 3.3V on) feel free to correct me.
Has the ubiquitous soft power button   :--  though this one goes a step beyond, and actually fakes being hard by having a latching action.
The tiny bits of plastic proved non-essential, and the VFD looks quite nice powered up. Pics to follow.

The Solartron 7150 is very much as described, second-hand!   :-DD
It's clearly had a busy life, and arrived sans-tilt-stand, and with NATO asset number  ;D
Obviously I wanted to know what it looked like inside...   ::)  and first impressions are, wow, it's crammed!
Had it turned on briefly, and it's bang on against the 8840 measuring a drained C-cell, and a few LSD different with a 2k2 resistor (on 2-wire, I don't have an unshielded 4-wire rig yet).
Couldn't figure out how to turn on the backlight (I saw LED edge lighting so I know it has it) so looks like I need to go RTFM   :-X
Again, pics to follow.

Ok, you can go back to discussing off-topic stuff now...   :-DD :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50936 on: February 28, 2020, 02:13:48 pm »
Having nothing to hide still doesn't mean you want other people all up in your business. Having nothing to hide is actually why you should be left alone but endless amounts of organisations are forcing the issue.

There is a standing "joke" in this household ... when SWMBO asks me if I've been looking at oscilloscopes or function generators on eBay - because she gets suggestions when browsing eBay.  We each use our own computer, so it must be dumb-ass IP address analysis.

Makes it impossible to go gift shopping - or even just to see what's available - on eBay.  That causes me to steer clear.  Thank you eBay - you are forcing me to avoid you for such purchases.
I find that rather strange because 1 and my 2 sons that are still at home, all have our own desktop PC's and our own eBay accounts, SWMBO has her own tablet and eBay account, we all have different searches etc and interests etc, but we don't suffer that particular problem but we all share the same internet. So do you by any chance share a common eBay account?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50937 on: February 28, 2020, 02:16:39 pm »

An analogy which covers my thoughts: one turtle is crawling into the toilet bowl and one is crawling out of the toilet bowl. I prefer to ride the one crawling out where possible. The position swapped around 2015 similar to that tipping point when Tek scopes went shit and Agilent ones went good :)
Yeh, I like that analogy  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50938 on: February 28, 2020, 02:17:48 pm »
You make some valid points, I'll grant you that and food for thought, but you can do things to minimise the amount of surveillance, like Google, I use an ad blocker which removes those adverts at the start of every google search for instance. I use that on most sites, but then on others that rely on the revenue that adverts raise for them, I leave the ad blocker off, i.e. EEVBlog as money raised from Dave's YT channel helps to keep this forum free for us to use.

My comments are tongue in cheek and often designed to stimulate discussion as you guys may have spotted something that maybe the rest of us should be aware of, or at least concerned about. If my comments have ever annoyed anyone, then I apologise, they certainly are never intended to be anything else other than a friendly jibe, in the same manner as comments from others to and from members such as med6753 and mnementh etc., and most certainly should not be construed as anything else.  :popcorn:

"tongue-in-cheek" - learnt something new  :-+  ;D

med has called me a "dickhead". I'll take this with proud!  :-+  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50939 on: February 28, 2020, 02:33:57 pm »

You make some valid points, I'll grant you that and food for thought, but you can do things to minimise the amount of surveillance, like Google,

And I do, like µBlock in web browsers, et c.

I'm not the least annoyed. In discussion, we advance. In agreement, we stagnate.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50940 on: February 28, 2020, 02:37:21 pm »
OT, the Hermes guy was here and I have 2 soggy parcels.

Gave them a good wipe down with kitchen roll before I opened them; I love the rain, just not on my TE!

The AKAI graphic equaliser isn't strictly TE I guess, though if you force me to, I could probably create a logical argument to say that it is!
  :-DD
Was a small piece of plastic floating around in the box and a tiny rattle inside the case, which instantly triggered my "don't turn it on, take it apart!" instinct, and I can happily report it's a complete %$£*& to open, with a stupid tongue/latch arrangement between the top cover and the front panel   :wtf:
It's pretty sparse inside as you'd expect from one of this vintage (late 90s-early 2000s I think), has a 10 memory preset which I'm guessing may be a bit unreliable, as the rechargeable 2032 cell looks a bit past it to me, though if anyone knows better (2.8V powered off, 3.3V on) feel free to correct me.
Has the ubiquitous soft power button   :--  though this one goes a step beyond, and actually fakes being hard by having a latching action.
The tiny bits of plastic proved non-essential, and the VFD looks quite nice powered up. Pics to follow.

The Solartron 7150 is very much as described, second-hand!   :-DD
It's clearly had a busy life, and arrived sans-tilt-stand, and with NATO asset number  ;D
Obviously I wanted to know what it looked like inside...   ::)  and first impressions are, wow, it's crammed!
Had it turned on briefly, and it's bang on against the 8840 measuring a drained C-cell, and a few LSD different with a 2k2 resistor (on 2-wire, I don't have an unshielded 4-wire rig yet).
Couldn't figure out how to turn on the backlight (I saw LED edge lighting so I know it has it) so looks like I need to go RTFM   :-X
Again, pics to follow.

Ok, you can go back to discussing off-topic stuff now...   :-DD :popcorn:

The 2.8v I would say is borderline for replacing, it should be 3v nominal and 3.3 charging. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Yes, the 7150's are packed, I have 2 of the 7150plus meters which are identical bar a switch on the front to switch between front or rear terminals. Yes there is edge lighting to the displays but the LED's wear out and need replacing, here is a shot of one of mine after replacing them and a short video showing hot to replace them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSh_2oT0yQ8.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:41:38 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50941 on: February 28, 2020, 03:26:10 pm »
I don't think many were annoyed by it at all, but I do think many, and I'm one who wonders why everyone needs this level of secrecy, it's almost as if there was some deep dark military secretive plot your all involved in. I can't for a single second believe that anyone is involved in anything even sightly illegal, therefore have nothing to hide,  just curious as to the reasons people seem to knocking themselves out, and costing themselves extra expense, doing what is already freely available.  :-// :-//

You miss the point. The point of running your own DNS resolvers is:

• Not to be spied on by commercial interests. If your stream of DNS queries is available to a third party DNS provider, - be that Cloudflare, your ISP, Google, or some other scum sucking data broker with all the morals of a hungry shark -  they pretty much have your browsing history and more besides. There is no doubt that the Googles and Amazons of this world will try and somehow monetize that information if they can get it. We live in the age of Surveillance Capitalism and many of us would like to retain some vestige of privacy rather than have all the data about us that can be gathered bought and sold with no regard for decency or anyone's right to privacy. The idea is to limit non-consensual data gathering about us and our habits.

You may not care that Google know that you visited a site associated with "bronies" or "yiffing" so that you could understand what the arch-pervert bd139 was going on about but some people would take that information, completely without context, and use it to make a moral judgement about you. That might mean being denied access to some service, or a job, or getting only offered higher interest rates. The consequences of commercial and even governmental bodies making automated decisions about you, based on information gathered without your knowledge or permission and then freely shared by commercial databrokers matters. These people don't give a fuck who they tell what about you and whether it is accurate or not, and if some bunch of nutters decides to rid the world of all people who have searched for "bronies" then these bastard data brokers will take their money for that list, ask no questions, and hand you over. If that abstract example isn't chilling enough, imagine that the nutters are neo-nazis or some other violent hate group and the characteristic they ask the data brokers for, directly or indirectly, is "is jewish" or "is gay" or "has had an abortion" or "eats meat".

If the Guberment want to spy on me they have powers and capabilities that far exceed those of the commercial snoopers, they are not part of the threat model here.

• To choose what is and what is not censored in our own homes. Most government driven and commercial censorship in the West is actually done by tampering with DNS - this is certainly the case for the UK. If you go to the source rather than via your ISP's DNS resolvers you bypass this level of censorship.

• Doing your own censorship. You can impose your own rules with reverse policy zones - sometimes called a DNS firewall. In my house all Facebook properties return an NXDOMAIN ("Domain not found" in essence) as do the DNS entries for 90+% of identifiable tracking and advertising domains. I don't have to rely on things like uBlock to protect me. Things like uBlock only work in the browser, a DNS firewall traps tracking from apps, tracking pixels in emails, tracking from my 'smart' TV, in fact anything that relies on DNS to contact an ad server or tracking server.

I even use it to ensure that things looking for an NTP server don't get their time from a random untrusted pool server 'somewhere random on the Internet', but from my own stratum 1 GPS disciplined NTP server that's traceable to NPL. Imagine how horrible it would be to have uncalibrated, untraceable time with insufficient digits of precision and accuracy sloshing about the house.

• (in my case) To have access to critical Internet infrastructure that I can diagnose and debug myself. If you use your ISP's DNS resolvers or any third party DNS resolver you are in the hands of the pimply faced youths that are laughably called 'engineers' by their employers. If you have a smidgen of intelligence and know how to look things up you are already way in front of the monkeys at the end of your ISP's 'support' line (Exceptions may apply, at either end of the putative conversation).

Remember, this conversation started with a discussion about ad blocking using DNS via things like pi-hole.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, mansaxel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50942 on: February 28, 2020, 03:28:37 pm »
Bored is the word. Need something to tinker with. Everything I've got works or is missing parts I can't get hold of at the moment.
Know what you mean. Got bugger all stock and got roped into painting the house.  :horse:
29C here today and it was horrible so went for a drive (Aircon  :phew: ) to get stuff I needed for the farm instead then the youngest turned up after work with a 6 pack so he, mum and I cleaned them up !  >:D
Just past 11pm and getting a second wind when I should be  :=\ instead.  ::)

Yeah, now that I've declared the INTEL MB/XEON a lost cause, I'm in the same boat. Currently building controller chargers into a drawer of a small cabinet for the XBOX & PS3... and won't even be able to road test it for another week since the boi got grounded for lying. :palm:

Thank mansaxel, bd, horse, Cerebus and the others for the DNS discussion. I really enjoying it, sorry for the others who were annoyed by that.

Temped to open a new thread just about that in the "Computing" section, this is so much value it can't be stay hidden in the TEA, or yes it must stay here  :popcorn:

At least for me, there was no annoyance at all; I find it interesting as well, having schooled as a NetAdmin with an interest in Computer Forensics. That schooling may be 20 years out of date, but still interesting.  :o To me, ANY progressive discussion of the nuts & volts of how our personal confusers work is for sure relevant and not at all OT. :-+

My comment about "And Now for Something Completely On Topic..." was me poking fun at me... being as the ol' tinkerdwagon does have a penchant for dragging the discussion most tangential. ;)

It's more a matter of principle.

Your ISP has no right to create profiles of its users based on their browsing history and sell those profiles to Tom, Dick and Harry.
Even more importantly, your government has absolutely no right to treat everyone as a criminal and hoover up everything one does on the Internet and store it until it becomes useful to them.

I don't disagree with the points raised, but it still seems extreme. What happens when you go outside any and come under the surveillance of the CCTV networks in towns and around areas such as local shops? They have the same kind of potential for misuse surely?

That old "If you're not doing anything wrong you should have nothing to hide" line is nothing more than minionspeak designed to put you on the defensive when you're discussing the core rights to privacy and those outlined in the 5th Amendment. It is directly contrary to the core principle of "Innocent til Proven Guilty." FUCK THAT HARRY HIGH SCHOOL BULLSHIT. You are a citizen, you have the right to a certain level of privacy. PERIOD. Government agencies & Corporate entities given special privilege under the provision that they will not work against the good of the people at large do NOT have that right. PERIOD. And they certainly do NOT have the right to violate that core Right to Privacy just to sell you fucking shampoo.  :palm:

There's no excuse for just blindly giving them a self-generating cross-indexed list of EVERYTHING you do or say on the intardNet. Take SOME precautions, take SOME responsibility for your privacy; the above entities are all about taking that away for fun & profit.  |O 

Nobody else is going to do it for you.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50943 on: February 28, 2020, 03:34:12 pm »
Yep. It's something I had in onenote I was going to reply with the next time someone asks me that question for ref which happens at least once a week. I didn't type all that now :)

We could just start a thread called "BD139 and Cerebus bitch about software." and then we could just post links to the relevant messages rather than reposting the same rants over and over again.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50944 on: February 28, 2020, 03:37:51 pm »

I prefer to flush!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50945 on: February 28, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »
And now for something completely off topic.  :P :P :-DD

I should be getting a boat load of capacitors today to start my latest mission to excise all the old electrolytics from my equipment.  :-+

You just HAD TO put them ALL in the same BOM, didn't you...?  :-DD

mnem
"That'll buff right out..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50946 on: February 28, 2020, 03:40:48 pm »

We could just start a thread called "BD139 and Cerebus bitch about software." and then we could just post links to the relevant messages rather than reposting the same rants over and over again.  :)

mnem
 >:D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50947 on: February 28, 2020, 03:47:10 pm »

mnem

Perhaps, but how much would you pay for us not to post a video entitled "BD139 and Cerebus get drunk, strip, and practice Country Folk Dancing."?

[Fx: Shouts aside] Hey, BD, I think I've got our retirement/TEA  giga-fund sorted.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50948 on: February 28, 2020, 03:56:03 pm »

mnem

Perhaps, but how much would you pay for us not to post a video entitled "BD139 and Cerebus get drunk, strip, and practice Country Folk Dancing."?

[Fx: Shouts aside] Hey, BD, I think I've got our retirement/TEA  giga-fund sorted.
How much would YOU pay me not to post video of a dwagon pole-dancing...?

mnem
*repeat offender... lots of footage at my disposal...>:D

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50949 on: February 28, 2020, 03:57:28 pm »
That old "If you're not doing anything wrong you should have nothing to hide" line is nothing more than minionspeak designed to put you on the defensive when you're discussing the core rights to privacy and those outlined in the 5th Amendment. It is directly contrary to the core principle of "Innocent til Proven Guilty." FUCK THAT HARRY HIGH SCHOOL BULLSHIT. You are a citizen, you have the right to a certain level of privacy. PERIOD. Government agencies & Corporate entities given special privilege under the provision that they will not work against the good of the people at large do NOT have that right. PERIOD. And they certainly do NOT have the right to violate that core Right to Privacy just to sell you fucking shampoo.[/color]  :palm: 

It is simpler than that, and applies to all forms of government and authority.

That's why this quote has been remembered and repeated for centuries: “Give me six lines written by the most honorable of men, and I will find an excuse in them to hang him.” Cardinal Richelieu
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, grizewald

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf