Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15290021 times)

SingleBitError and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52250 on: March 15, 2020, 03:27:37 am »
Uhhh... yeah. It's not the travel, it's the shower gifts.  :palm: In recent generations, the expectations of what is "customary" have gotten pretty high in most circles.

mnem
Also, it's a freaking joke.
No shit. The points was that people can sod their expectations. Bring a card with "Glad you got cummed in" if you're feeling generous.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52251 on: March 15, 2020, 03:28:19 am »
And why should they? Your theoretical Keysight engineer is NOT a fucking FLUKE ASP; they don't HAVE TO talk to him, just like they don't have to talk to us. You're just mad they won't let you to play with the cool kids.  ;)

mnem
Tautology: It's what's for dinner.
I feel we're moving the goalposts here. The argument was they don't just talk to anybody and the response is that they don't talk to anyone at all. Unless they also get to sell a juicy repair.

Btw I'm a Time Lord now.

Why? This is NOT news; FLUKE has always been this way. They've adopted the "Defense Contractor" business model; it's hardly new and it's something that pretty much everybody who's ever done business with them knows. :-//

Congrats on the new TARDIS, though.  :-+

mnem
Mine is in the shop.  :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52252 on: March 15, 2020, 03:33:12 am »
Why? This is NOT news; FLUKE has always been this way. They've adopted the "Defense Contractor" business model; it's hardly new and it's something that pretty much everybody who's ever done business with them knows. :-//

mnem
It always having been shit doesn't make it less shit. I like Keysight's and TTi's approach more. Just too bad their handhelds aren't quite as nice to use.

Did you get a reply mail with the subject line RE:TARDIS?

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52253 on: March 15, 2020, 03:34:35 am »
Uhhh... yeah. It's not the travel, it's the shower gifts.  :palm: In recent generations, the expectations of what is "customary" have gotten pretty high in most circles.

mnem
Also, it's a freaking joke.
No shit. The points was that people can sod their expectations. Bring a card with "Glad you got cummed in" if you're feeling generous.

That is not the point of a baby shower; why would you even attend if you don't intend to follow custom? Just to be a dick?

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52254 on: March 15, 2020, 03:40:32 am »
That is not the point of a baby shower; why would you even attend if you don't intend to follow custom? Just to be a dick?

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
Custom was to give first time mothers practical gifts to care for her child and perhaps communal celebration, not indulging in some high stakes extravaganza.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52255 on: March 15, 2020, 03:41:02 am »

mnem
It always having been shit doesn't make it less shit. I like Keysight's and TTi's approach more. Just too bad their handhelds aren't quite as nice to use.

Did you get a reply mail with the subject line RE:TARDIS?

Hey... I really like the handling of the F-22. I don't expect Lockheed to talk to me about parts for one, even if I had the money to buy them. Same exact principle. :-//

mnem

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52256 on: March 15, 2020, 03:45:04 am »
Hey... I really like the handling of the F-22. I don't expect Lockheed to talk to me about parts for one, even if I had the money to buy them. Same exact principle. :-//

mnem

That's blatantly nothing like the same principle. You'd expect Lockheed to sell spares to nations who bought their aircraft and didn't end up on the naughty list in the mean time. They do although some nations also manufacture parts.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52257 on: March 15, 2020, 03:45:41 am »

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
Custom was to give first time mothers practical gifts to care for her child and perhaps communal celebration, not indulging in some high stakes extravaganza.

Yeah, it's the "practical gifts" part that's expensive. Aside from a mountain of diapers, everything "baby" is expensive... Who am I kidding? Even a meaningful-sized packet of diapers is frelling expensive. |O

mnem
*really toddling off to ded now*  :=\

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52258 on: March 15, 2020, 03:48:42 am »
Yeah, it's the "practical gifts" part that's expensive. Aside from a mountain of diapers, everything "baby" is expensive... Who am I kidding? Even a meaningful-sized packet of diapers is frelling expensive. |O

mnem
*really toddling off to ded now*  :=\
Mothers bringing used but okay goods obtained for their own now grown children used to be common, but the expectation seems to have shifted towards receiving new and typically fairly luxurious baby products.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52259 on: March 15, 2020, 04:45:08 am »
anybody I know reproduces, they are automatically off the friend list

solves all this shit
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #52260 on: March 15, 2020, 04:51:28 am »
Best bit if it's someone elses you can give em back !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52261 on: March 15, 2020, 05:07:46 am »
anybody I know reproduces, they are automatically off the friend list

solves all this shit
They tend to self isolate either by being continually busy and tired or being excruciatingly obnoxious. Some are okay.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52262 on: March 15, 2020, 07:34:50 am »
We sound like a group of grumpy old men.  :rant:  ::)

Hell, we ARE a group of grumpy old men and proud to wear that badge.  :box:  >:D

Carry on...... :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #52263 on: March 15, 2020, 08:04:54 am »
Tomorrow no Discord and no real reason other than Coffee to get up ;D  unless !@#$%ing possums...

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #52264 on: March 15, 2020, 08:11:26 am »

That's blatantly nothing like the same principle. You'd expect Lockheed to sell spares to nations who bought their aircraft and didn't end up on the naughty list in the mean time. They do although some nations also manufacture parts.

If you -- as a country -- have been bullied into buying the F35, you will have to be friends with the US forever. The F35 will, on its own, call home to mama every 14 days, ostensibly to report status, and will get grumpy if that didn't work.

I only have a few shares in one of the parent investment companies owning SAAB, mentioned here for transparency reasons. The Gripen won't do that. Plus it can be handled by conscript ground staff (though the plane captain is a career NCO), and it's cheap. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52265 on: March 15, 2020, 09:47:28 am »
I understand one of the first things we did with the F35 was “software assurance”. In defence terms that means we cracked it. That’s fairly standard policy and I’ve met the guys who are usually tasked with that sort of thing. At the time they were working on the proprietary bits of bowman.

Either way fighter superiority is declining in importance now. Bring on the drone storms and fly them into the F35 intakes
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:49:18 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52266 on: March 15, 2020, 09:52:41 am »
I understand one of the first things we did with the F35 was “software assurance”. In defence terms that means we cracked it. That’s fairly standard policy and I’ve met the guys who are usually tasked with that sort of thing. At the time they were working on the proprietary bits of bowman.

So rather than phoning home to Donald it calls Boris instead? Dunno which is more scary.  :scared: :-DD

Either way fighter superiority is declining in importance now. Bring on the drone storms and fly them into the F35 intakes

Gotta find it and catch it first.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52267 on: March 15, 2020, 10:19:20 am »
Good point  :-DD

Don’t need to find it. Hensoldt TwInvis can see them. Sneaky idea. It actually processes existing DVB-T / DAB signals.

Woke up this morning with sore throat and terrible cough. Here we go  :scared:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52268 on: March 15, 2020, 10:25:54 am »

Take 6 of these but don't call me in the morning and complain you're using up all the hoarded toilet paper.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52269 on: March 15, 2020, 10:29:29 am »

:( Keep in touch occasionally.

At my age there is a ~3% chance it will kill me, which is better than my mother's 99% (guesstimated) chance. This afternoon's task: update my will.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52270 on: March 15, 2020, 10:32:47 am »
Done mine already. Fortunately just in the 0.4% bracket here and 100% healthy. I will look ahead and plan for similar events in the future when I get older.

Same with my mother - COPD and chemo. I wish you both the best of luck.

Edit: I’d just like to post my mothers response to all this. She ordered herself a nice bottle of gin from Asda to be delivered  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:34:31 am by bd139 »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #52271 on: March 15, 2020, 10:51:26 am »
Done mine already. Fortunately just in the 0.4% bracket here and 100% healthy. I will look ahead and plan for similar events in the future when I get older.

Same with my mother - COPD and chemo. I wish you both the best of luck.

Edit: I’d just like to post my mothers response to all this. She ordered herself a nice bottle of gin from Asda to be delivered  :-DD

Sensible lady.

Apparently my grandson and his schoolmates have been instructed on the need for good hand hygiene and this resulted in him mixing soap and sanitiser and getting chemical burns as a result.
Since I've done the same thing myself with no issues (when I accidentally squirted a gob of sanitiser instead of soap) I've asked my daughter to query the school regarding the particular products involved.
I realise a six-year-old's skin is more sensitive than mine but this sounds like they are using the wrong stuff.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52272 on: March 15, 2020, 11:17:49 am »
Done mine already.

Did my "advance directive" a couple of months ago. Basically, if I cannot express what medical treatment I do/don't want, plus I won't be able to in the future, then keep me comfortable but don't prolong my life.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52273 on: March 15, 2020, 11:20:53 am »
Nice work! Did you build a custom distribution amp?  What's driving the LCD screen?

The distribution amp is a simplified version of a design I found on the net. Basically a HC14 and and AC04 followed by a filter. Works for me.

The LCD (128x64) has an NT7538 controller. The controller that starts up the TruePosition GPSDO, reads the time (and sends it to my alarm clock; same controller) and displays the time (or location when the encoder is turned).
The controllers are normally used in industrial control using a 32 bit MCU. Totally overpowered for this task, but I got some from early production runs with small problems that are totally insignificant for me. Since writing their firmware is my day job, I already know how to handle them. ;)
The hardware needs to be hacked a little, though, to get at the interfaces.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52274 on: March 15, 2020, 11:21:21 am »
Apparently my grandson and his schoolmates have been instructed on the need for good hand hygiene and this resulted in him mixing soap and sanitiser and getting chemical burns as a result.
Since I've done the same thing myself with no issues (when I accidentally squirted a gob of sanitiser instead of soap) I've asked my daughter to query the school regarding the particular products involved.
I realise a six-year-old's skin is more sensitive than mine but this sounds like they are using the wrong stuff.[/color][/b]
This is the extent of what they are doing around here:

(sorry you'll have to zoom in)

Done mine already.

Did my "advance directive" a couple of months ago. Basically, if I cannot express what medical treatment I do/don't want, plus I won't be able to in the future, then keep me comfortable but don't prolong my life.

That's exactly what mine has in it  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf