Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15316783 times)

MVSantos and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53325 on: March 23, 2020, 07:21:30 pm »
Edit: also I know that's borderline bradycardia, but this is due to AHS and is non-pathological ;)

I just thought that it meant that you'd got serious about getting some exercise. When I was getting some regular proper cycling in my resting heart rate was below 60. I used to freak doctors and nurses out on a regular basis, chubby middle aged bloke, nominally borderline obese with a BMI of 28-29*, presents looking and acting perfectly normal with apparent hypotension and bradycardia.

* Which is precisely why BMI, which was designed as a measure of population epedimiology, shouldn't be used for individual diagnosis - but the idiots still do it. What my BMI wouldn't have told you was that from the hips down I was solid muscle with barely a trace of fat. Sadly this is no longer true and I really need to get back into the habit of getting some proper work in on the bike.

Yep historically my heart rate was pretty good. Last year resting was around 70 and I was in the obese spectrum. A bit of exercise (well a lot - I’ve walked/run 255 miles this year already) it went back down again. Still need to shift 18kg. Going to look like a canned date after :(

And totally agree on BMI.  It’s a reasonable finger in the air estimate that can say “this person needs further investigation” but nothing more. I did however add the obesity and overweight markers on my spreadsheet for motivational value rather than science however :)
According to my FitBit (thats a joke, I'm far from fit) my resting heart beat is currently 59
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53326 on: March 23, 2020, 07:26:52 pm »
Edit: also I know that's borderline bradycardia, but this is due to AHS and is non-pathological ;)

I just thought that it meant that you'd got serious about getting some exercise. When I was getting some regular proper cycling in my resting heart rate was below 60. I used to freak doctors and nurses out on a regular basis, chubby middle aged bloke, nominally borderline obese with a BMI of 28-29*, presents looking and acting perfectly normal with apparent hypotension and bradycardia.

* Which is precisely why BMI, which was designed as a measure of population epedimiology, shouldn't be used for individual diagnosis - but the idiots still do it. What my BMI wouldn't have told you was that from the hips down I was solid muscle with barely a trace of fat. Sadly this is no longer true and I really need to get back into the habit of getting some proper work in on the bike.

Yep historically my heart rate was pretty good. Last year resting was around 70 and I was in the obese spectrum. A bit of exercise (well a lot - I’ve walked/run 255 miles this year already) it went back down again. Still need to shift 18kg. Going to look like a canned date after :(

And totally agree on BMI.  It’s a reasonable finger in the air estimate that can say “this person needs further investigation” but nothing more. I did however add the obesity and overweight markers on my spreadsheet for motivational value rather than science however :)
According to my FitBit (thats a joke, I'm far from fit) my resting heart beat is currently 59

UnfitBit just didn't have the same ring to it! :D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53327 on: March 23, 2020, 07:29:14 pm »
FatBit?  :-DD

I’m sitting here eating KFC at the moment so I’m a complete hypocrite  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53328 on: March 23, 2020, 07:33:37 pm »
FatBit?  :-DD

I’m sitting here eating KFC at the moment so I’m a complete hypocrite  :-DD
I think after tonight, you won't be doing that again, Boris is doing an urgent public address tonight at 8pm. Its going to get really tough I think now  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53329 on: March 23, 2020, 07:40:36 pm »
That’s why I got it  :-DD

I think he’s just going to call people irresponsible cunts while he’s got his fingers crossed behind his back

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53330 on: March 23, 2020, 07:46:18 pm »
Oh dear... no curry asplosion=irregular Spec=Cranky Old Fart Spec.  :scared:

This IS a emergency NOW.  :-DD

mnem
*off to forage for food in the wilds of North o' Toronto*
Your dammed right its an emergency  :-DD, we have curry twice a week. Seriously, I have been telling SWMBO that we do need to be more self-reliant for meals and also reduce the amount we eat, so we can get used to eating less in case we have extended lockdown where we can't get out to buy food. My youngest just will not eat peas, and yet every time she puts peas on his plate in the hope that he will eat them, and every time they get thrown away |O He's in his 30's, so he's not going to change anytime soon so why do it?? :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53331 on: March 23, 2020, 07:49:54 pm »
That’s why I got it  :-DD

I think he’s just going to call people irresponsible cunts while he’s got his fingers crossed behind his back
You could be right, or he could be announcing that he's fired Cummings for his pie eyed stupid idea of the "herd immunity" that could see loads of fatalities happening.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53332 on: March 23, 2020, 07:54:01 pm »
Fingers crossed. Cummings is a world class cunt who needs to be blasted into the sun.

Edit: all police leave was just cancelled and 20,000 armed forces drafted this afternoon. I reckon they’re going to sort the scum out in Bolton  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:08:31 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53333 on: March 23, 2020, 08:25:49 pm »
Is that factual or a guess? It looks like I might not be able to get my car back from the dealers for a while now if they announce a lockdown. Took in today to have the window fixed and they have kept it overnight to finish it tomorrow  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53334 on: March 23, 2020, 08:33:40 pm »
Edit: all police leave was just cancelled and 20,000 armed forces drafted this afternoon. I reckon they’re going to sort the scum out in Bolton  :-DD

The Armed forces have been drafted to do what they always do at times like this, transport corps, logistics and replacing key workers who can't for whatever reason. Plus someone has finally worked out that while front-line medical staff are crying out for PPE the army et al have warehouses full of PPE and have finally tasked them with distributing it to where it's needed.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53335 on: March 23, 2020, 08:35:58 pm »
Yep definitely. They’re all logistics. They’re training them to deliver O2 cylinders

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53336 on: March 23, 2020, 08:40:05 pm »
In case you missed his address, here it is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52000039
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53337 on: March 23, 2020, 08:47:08 pm »
Yep definitely. They’re all logistics. They’re training them to deliver O2 cylinders

Step up to the cylinder, 1, 2. Bend over. 1, 2. Lift the cylinder, 1, 2. Say "ooh me back", 1 2...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53338 on: March 23, 2020, 08:50:00 pm »
Well I decided I'd check Ocado before and after the announcement to judge how turdy the next phase of panic is. Before the announcement 1400 were in the queue. now just shy of 11,000  :palm:

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53339 on: March 23, 2020, 09:00:45 pm »
Well I decided I'd check Ocado before and after the announcement to judge how turdy the next phase of panic is. Before the announcement 1400 were in the queue. now just shy of 11,000  :palm:

Shipping has slowed down, Amazon deliveries taking a lot longer than normal...

Going to the supermarket is something that just has to be faced, sadly.  I buy enough to last a week at a time, instead of constantly going back...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53340 on: March 23, 2020, 09:15:07 pm »
So it seems after all that there was substantially more than a rumour about lockdown and troops being deployed that my son was told about by his boss. He works in a Home Bargains shop and is now trying to find out if he has to go to work or not tomorrow. They sell a limited range of foods along with other goods, so they may be deemed as a non-essential shop and forced to close?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53341 on: March 23, 2020, 09:27:13 pm »
Home Bargains should stay open IMHO. Lots of essentials in there.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #53342 on: March 23, 2020, 09:33:19 pm »
So it seems after all that there was substantially more than a rumour about lockdown and troops being deployed that my son was told about by his boss. He works in a Home Bargains shop and is now trying to find out if he has to go to work or not tomorrow. They sell a limited range of foods along with other goods, so they may be deemed as a non-essential shop and forced to close?
That was supposed to happen around friday last week, wasn't it? There was a fair chance that would have been right sooner or later. I'll call the lifting of the lockdown now. I've heard it from my nephew's niece who heard it from a duck living in Boris' pond.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53343 on: March 23, 2020, 09:47:18 pm »
That was supposed to happen around friday last week, wasn't it? There was a fair chance that would have been right sooner or later. I'll call the lifting of the lockdown now. I've heard it from my nephew's niece who heard it from a duck living in Boris' pond.
No, I never said it was going to happen on Friday. My son was told to keep checking the firm's intranet for news about a possible lockdown because it might affect his need to go to work or not, seeing as they also sell some food items. He was told about the troops being called in although, nobody actually knew what their role was going to be at that time. It is evident that there had been high level talks between his company and the government (a bit more qualified than a duck living on Boris's pond) hence why the staff were all informed about it because the decision, when it came would be implemented overnight and that could mean staff wasting money that they will need for other things and also possibly questioned by police or the army.

I would seem that it was planned for Friday, but deferred to see if the people would heed the warnings and remain at home and it seems they did not heed the warnings so it has today become enforceable.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:50:00 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53344 on: March 23, 2020, 09:55:56 pm »
So it seems after all that there was substantially more than a rumour about lockdown and troops being deployed that my son was told about by his boss. He works in a Home Bargains shop ...

No there really wasn't any more to it than third hand rumour that just happens to have presaged something that was quite predictable as a possibility. The government really wasn't briefing middle and junior store management (in a relatively small chain of shops that most of us have barely heard of) about plans for days, possibly weeks, away. C'mon, if you had information that could possibly lead to shortages or a break down in public order if it leaks, would you disseminate it to undermanagers in a bunch of retail stores? If you were going to do it, before you did you'd bullying them into signing a copy of the Official Secrets Act*. Sorry, it was just standard rumour mill faire, you didn't have a fast track to the inside I'm afraid.

* Some of us here will have had to deal with the very serious looking men who leave you in no doubt quite how carefully you are expected to deal with what may sometimes seem trivial 'official' information. After you've talked to them you don't immediately go home and blab to the relatives what you've been told, really you don't.

Edited to add: The 'getting an inside track' thing is very seductive. Many years ago in my ISP days I was involved in a series of meetings about the Internet  as "Critical National Infrastucture". The meetings involved senior people from peering points, the Cabinet Office and a bunch of other governmental types who didn't have business cards or jobs titles - spooks in other words. Prior to getting involved with these meets a colleague, R, had a healthy, sceptical, "don't trust them as far as you can throw them" attitude to government types and was rightfully careful about letting them get concessions, access and the like in the name of protecting CNI. Afterwards, because he got a buzz off getting involved with private, invitation only meetings that involved actual spooks, he was falling over himself to be as helpful as he could and was making concessions left right and centre so that he'd still be invited to the party.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:05:40 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53345 on: March 23, 2020, 09:56:59 pm »
Oh dear... no curry asplosion=irregular Spec=Cranky Old Fart Spec.  :scared:

This IS a emergency NOW.  :-DD

mnem
*off to forage for food in the wilds of North o' Toronto*
Your dammed right its an emergency  :-DD, we have curry twice a week. Seriously, I have been telling SWMBO that we do need to be more self-reliant for meals and also reduce the amount we eat, so we can get used to eating less in case we have extended lockdown where we can't get out to buy food. My youngest just will not eat peas, and yet every time she puts peas on his plate in the hope that he will eat them, and every time they get thrown away |O He's in his 30's, so he's not going to change anytime soon so why do it?? :-//

No great loss. I HATE curry. Can't even stand the smell of it. If I walk past OUTSIDE an Indian restaurant I can smell it and I feel like I wanna barf.

But.....sounds like it's getting real serious in the UK.  :scared: Hunker down guys.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #53346 on: March 23, 2020, 10:07:14 pm »
No, I never said it was going to happen on Friday. My son was told to keep checking the firm's intranet for news about a possible lockdown because it might affect his need to go to work or not, seeing as they also sell some food items. He was told about the troops being called in although, nobody actually knew what their role was going to be at that time. It is evident that there had been high level talks between his company and the government (a bit more qualified than a duck living on Boris's pond) hence why the staff were all informed about it because the decision, when it came would be implemented overnight and that could mean staff wasting money that they will need for other things and also possibly questioned by police or the army.

I would seem that it was planned for Friday, but deferred to see if the people would heed the warnings and remain at home and it seems they did not heed the warnings so it has today become enforceable.
You never said it would happen on Friday? It's amazing to see how the mind bends until it has the shape it considers desirable.

My son has just come from his shift in a large national chain store and says that there are rumours that shops could be closed as of Friday night

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53347 on: March 23, 2020, 10:13:04 pm »
But.....sounds like it's getting real serious in the UK.  :scared: Hunker down guys.  :-+

It's you lot we need to be worried for. Way more cases than the UK and heading up hill faster. Don't make the mistake that the differences in population matter at this point , it's too early for the unavailability of fresh uninfected bodies to alter the disease spread in any way. There's - checks stats - 41,451 cases in the states as of now and 6,650 here.  Keep yourself safe y' hear.

And, not though you're likey to, don't let any children touch you unless they've been thoroughly boiled first.  :)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53348 on: March 23, 2020, 10:44:23 pm »
Yep, NewYork state alone has around 25k cases  :-\

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #53349 on: March 23, 2020, 10:47:04 pm »
Edited to add: The 'getting an inside track' thing is very seductive.

2 years at our defence IT and telecoms establishment (cross over between the Royal Signals and the US DISA, sort of.) cured me of that. Keeping secrets is hard, cumbersome work that just sloooooooows down any meaningful work you so desperately need to get done to keep good honest people supplied with the tools they need.

Also, I learnt where in Dante's Inferno defence contractors belong. Didn't know there was a tenth circuit until then. Bloody leeches.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf