Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14896015 times)

tggzzz, duckduck, Vince and 140 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54075 on: March 30, 2020, 09:21:33 pm »
All places have their disadvantages. We have a relatively tame denizen that has just migrated north from Texas.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #54076 on: March 30, 2020, 09:23:47 pm »
agreed. The big question is which disadvantages bother you most and which are you willing to keep up with.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #54077 on: March 30, 2020, 09:26:54 pm »
I have to agree with this. UK, Germany etc etc, all the western world does have its problems, but nowhere near the challenges faced by people living in developing countries.
In no way I'm saying the western world has it all figured out and there aren't people struggling. There's obviously room for improvement, often more than a little. Did you change your name? I'd swear the teal menace was named differently before.

Haha, I was agreeing with you  :P

Yes, I changed from ThickPhilM as it was getting confusing; my irl name is not Phil. This new nickname more accurately reflects that, and in fact one or two of my work colleagues regularly call me "AVG".
As long as it's a pun, I'm reasonably happy   ^-^
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #54078 on: March 30, 2020, 09:27:42 pm »
Interesting points I’m fine with it paying a shit load of tax. I’m quite happy for my tax to go to welfare, infrastructure,  healthcare and defence. I am however pissed off at how each of those concerns has been mismanaged into the least efficient and effective way of executing it. This turns countries into the things we hate by proxy. The engineer in me favours a technocracy at the moment because I run one and it works  :-DD
I feel much the same. Mismanagement and a lack of efficiency not only seem par for the course, it's apparently a universal constant across all nations with a functioning system. The alternative solution is to have the market have a go, which generally yields more optimal results but never to your benefit. It's probably best to try and improve matters yet accept that inefficiency is the price we pay.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54079 on: March 30, 2020, 10:04:03 pm »
It’s a human trait. Same reason I complete about 20% of the projects I start :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54080 on: March 30, 2020, 10:16:03 pm »

And I thought I am alone with that.  ::)  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #54081 on: March 30, 2020, 10:24:56 pm »
My score is more abysmal than that so I've been starting less projects and consequently I'm finishing an even smaller number.  :palm:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #54082 on: March 30, 2020, 10:36:11 pm »
That will increase now you have a decent scope !  :P  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54083 on: March 30, 2020, 10:43:28 pm »
That will increase now you have a decent scope !  :P  :-DD
Is anyone running a book on that?  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54084 on: March 30, 2020, 10:45:35 pm »
I'm not patting myself on the back but I'd have to say that project completion here is probably 60 - 70%. Reasons? Being retired gives me the time. It's just me so there's no "honey do list". I live in an apartment so no lawn mowing, fixing the heat, etc.

That's not to say I don't have projects that I never seem to get to. There are....some ghosts hiding in the closet.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, jxjbsd

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54085 on: March 30, 2020, 11:34:56 pm »
It's ok if you need to air the closest we are a broad minded bunch  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #54086 on: March 30, 2020, 11:48:04 pm »

grr. clog. furry print fail. |O going back to bed.

mnem
also, grr.
So much pain could have been avoided - Ender 3 :-DD

Wouldn't have made a damned bit of difference; I'd still find a way to fuck it up. :-DD

Seriously; avoided how...? I could've bought a E3; only a little more money. I chose this one because it was a good clone of the E3, and came with most of the "essential upgrades" everybody says you "must do" with a E3, and it came with this awesome touchscreen UI. It worked awesome right out the box just like an E3; it didn't start fucking up until I fucked with it.  |O  Can't fault it for that. The ONLY thing really wrong with it out of the box was the uber-cheesy extruder; a fault it inherited from the E3.

mnem
Fucking with shit is what a tinkerdwagon does.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #54087 on: March 31, 2020, 12:04:39 am »
Wouldn't have made a damned bit of difference; I'd still find a way to fuck it up. :-DD

Keep hacking at it. Sooner or later you'll beat it into submission.  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54088 on: March 31, 2020, 12:07:32 am »
Minor distraction from TE and PLC matters :-DD

Discovered that the problems with the Ender were because the extruder drive was worn out and slipping and the first layer wasn't going down properly. Spent some time putting the new aluminium one on it that I've had around for ages. Spent at least ten minutes trying to find some instructions and just worked it out in the end...

And we're back in business.
How's this one working out after a few days?    I received the same on when I intended to buy the genuine CReality version like this one: 

Have you actually had a chance to put it to work yet? I have both now; the silver one on my Tornado and this one just I received. I have to admit I was not at all impressed; despite coming from the CReality Store on Amazon, the quality of manufacture & included hardware is no where near that of the silver one, and it doesn't have the spring tension adjustment mechanism the silver one has. :wtf:

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #54089 on: March 31, 2020, 12:14:25 am »
I've had the "red" one from the beginning on my printer. Seems to work just fine ever since I've been printing.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #54090 on: March 31, 2020, 12:19:27 am »
Haha, waking the dwagon up is real easy to do, just take or hide his beloved yellow Fluke 189  >:D :-DD

Or let med near it with his can of blue Krylon ;)

Wash your mouth out with hand sanitiser!!!

Is acetone a hand sanitisier? 

I once washed my mouth out with (a small amount of) acetone in a school chemistry experiment. I was sucking it out of a beaker using a pipette, and there wasn't quite enough in the beaker - so air was entrained.

Well, you survived.  :-DD

In all seriousness, I certainly wouldn't recommend using acetone on skin in quantity. It's not particularly good for you, and it will dry your skin out much worse than alcohol. The vapors are oppressive too.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54091 on: March 31, 2020, 02:18:45 am »
I've had the "red" one from the beginning on my printer. Seems to work just fine ever since I've been printing.  :-//

Plain silver spring or the "upgraded" yellow one...?

The Diggro A3 came with one of the yellow springs like they use to upgrade the Ender 3 bed on the extruder. Came with them on the bed too.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:29:27 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54092 on: March 31, 2020, 02:38:58 am »
TP report from Country Oz. Midday shopping trip for Mum, choice of TWO non abrasive multi layer types  :-+ Tissue Paper and Kitchen Towel available as well so it seems we are maybe over the hording hump. The rest of the shop was fairly well stocked with a few brands missing but alternates were available in what looked like all cases.

Back into isolation but importantly Lamb Souvlaki ingredients all present and correct for tonight's dinner  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #54093 on: March 31, 2020, 02:41:46 am »
TP report from Country Oz. Midday shopping trip for Mum, choice of TWO non abrasive multi layer types  :-+ Tissue Paper and Kitchen Towel available as well so it seems we are maybe over the hording hump. The rest of the shop was fairly well stocked with a few brands missing but alternates were available in what looked like all cases.

Back into isolation but importantly Lamb Souvlaki ingredients all present and correct for tonight's dinner  ;D
Remember to get coffee while you were out ?  :P  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54094 on: March 31, 2020, 02:43:38 am »

Roasting a couple of kg today or tomorrow for me and a couple of regulars from the 4-500kg stash so I should surrvive for a while yet  ;)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #54095 on: March 31, 2020, 03:01:21 am »
11 Masochism is endemic, perhaps even mandatory.
12 We only love faulty equipment,  If it's good, I just put it away, or even bother to download its operation manual.

When you buy an old device that can only be used as accessories, download service manuals, print them, analyze, find substitutes, test, have positive effects, and other regular accessories, then repair, clean, appreciate and save. :-BROKE

Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54096 on: March 31, 2020, 03:16:16 am »

Roasting a couple of kg today or tomorrow for me and a couple of regulars from the 4-500kg stash so I should surrvive for a while yet  ;)

I was going to say I expected Bean to have a ton of coffee.  Seems he only has half a tonne   ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54097 on: March 31, 2020, 04:18:51 am »
11 Masochism is endemic, perhaps even mandatory.
12 We only love faulty equipment,  If it's good, I just put it away, or even bother to download its operation manual.

When you buy an old device that can only be used as accessories, download service manuals, print them, analyze, find substitutes, test, have positive effects, and other regular accessories, then repair, clean, appreciate and save. :-BROKE

Sounds like a manifestation of OCR: Obsessive Completeness Response.  ;)

Includes aspects of DAD - Documentation Acquisition Disorder as well as AAP - Accessory Aggregation Pathology. Both conditions can be fatal; more than one TEA has been lost under a avalanche of accessories and manuals.  :scared:

mnem
*back to the bench*

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54098 on: March 31, 2020, 05:11:19 am »
OK.  We'll just call you lucky .... I can handle that.

I can handle that because my 3478A has landed in Australia and cleared customs!!  :-+  :-+

It has now entered the scope of local Australia Post tracking.  Last event was arriving at a facility in Sydney late this afternoon, which means it might turn up in 2-3 days.   ;D

UPDATE:  I have just received an email saying that it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow!!

To date, all such emails have proven to be accurate - and, from previous experience, it is likely to land on my doorstep sometime between 7am and 9am.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54099 on: March 31, 2020, 05:51:11 am »
Was that tiny thump I just felt under my keister Brumby's head exploding...?   

mnem
*scratch-scratch-scratch*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf