Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14937986 times)

Carl_Smith and 253 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54225 on: April 01, 2020, 06:32:34 am »
My UT210E was dispatched from Southall, ...

I recall joeqsmith did a mod on his a few years ago to increase its bandwidth and add a BNC so he could use it for his scope. Seemed to work pretty well.

Ah, yes. Starts about here, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/msg901539/#msg901539, in case you're curious.

There's also info on the forum about all the EEPROM parameters.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #54226 on: April 01, 2020, 06:36:05 am »
I would have loved to have gone to bean's Cafe - the coffee, the bread and everything would have been fantastic - enough to make me consider a move to the state of Victoria (for OS guys - a long standing rivalry exists between my state - South Australia and Victoria)
Rob
PS have acquired an electronic readout height guage for the surface plate. Nothing fancy - i nearly needed resuscitation when I priced a mitutoyo height guage.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #54227 on: April 01, 2020, 06:44:36 am »
Well look like I'm also a lucky winner. I started coughing today, then muscle pain and chest pain. Now I got a fever.

Really frustrating since I was home for the last 2.5 weeks, only went out once for grocery. And got food deliver once.  :rant:

Wow sorry to hear that. You got no clue how you contracted it? Maybe from things you touched from a store?  :palm:

I'm pretty sure I didn't touch my face and washed my hands with Hand sanitizer once I was in the car and washed again once I got home. So it was the delivery guy (and I was wearing gloves) or one of the kids got it and she is asymptomatic.  :-//

But I should be fine though, I'm in an age bracket where the risk is minimal.

Glad to hear you've got the odds in your favor. Speedy recovery, Kosmic!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54228 on: April 01, 2020, 07:15:48 am »
(I was waiting for that.)  For initial pics - refer to the eBay listing.

I have a couple of others, but have spent the "free" time I had sneaking in the things that I've already posted about.

I should really change the fuse to a 125mA slow blow, but I don't have any of those - yet.   ;D

Got to post glory shots or it didn't happen  ;D

I would have loved to have gone to bean's Cafe - the coffee, the bread and everything would have been fantastic - enough to make me consider a move to the state of Victoria (for OS guys - a long standing rivalry exists between my state - South Australia and Victoria)
Rob
PS have acquired an electronic readout height guage for the surface plate. Nothing fancy - i nearly needed resuscitation when I priced a mitutoyo height guage.

Nothing wrong with 'most' South Australians certain Red Headed Female Marion ex Pommie residents are one of those exceptions  >:D NFI what is for dinner tonight but something will emerge from this afternoons grocery run.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54229 on: April 01, 2020, 07:29:01 am »

Here's a picture for you. My Fluke 8060A arrived last night. It's like new, the LCD is still sharp and measures spot on too. Now I've got no reason to open it :(
I now own the two main test devices I used in my university days, this and a Tek 2465 :)

McBryce.

Edit: It looks kind of yellowed in the picture, but that's just crap lighting. In reality it's not yellowed at all.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:30:54 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, beanflying, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54230 on: April 01, 2020, 07:43:06 am »

Nothing wrong with 'most' South Australians certain Red Headed Female Marion ex Pommie residents are one of those exceptions  >:D NFI what is for dinner tonight but something will emerge from this afternoons grocery run.

Read heads from any part of the English speaking world are bad news.  :palm:

Doing a grocery run myself this morning. 0600 hours to 0700 hours is old farts only in the store and this old fart will be there.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54231 on: April 01, 2020, 09:00:10 am »
Well look like I'm also a lucky winner. I started coughing today, then muscle pain and chest pain. Now I got a fever.

Really frustrating since I was home for the last 2.5 weeks, only went out once for grocery. And got food deliver once.  :rant:

Take care and get well soon.

Best wishes from Germany.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54232 on: April 01, 2020, 09:48:53 am »
Bugga  :( I think I will keep sticking to home brew Junk Food rather than some sweaty Cook and Delivery driver coughing over it.

My attitude is that I will get it one way or another. The only hope of avoiding it is a vaccine, which is a year away.

In the past I chose a course of treatment for PCa based on the chance of getting serious side effects from a different course. When I get covid-19 I will have a similar chance of dying from it.

I'm stopping my GAS[1], to reduce the number of treasures my daughter bins :( Pleasingly I offloaded a working 2445B recently :)

Meanwhile my new old Cropico voltage reference is within ~5uV of my Fluke 515A.

[1] there's one in the pipeline, due to be delivered by Herpes within a few weeks.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54233 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:08 am »
Ok got to play with the UT210E finally. After RTFM it’s surprisingly accurate on the bench! 1-2 counts out from the Flukes on DC current. I don’t have an AC test setup. Colour me impressed. Only negative is the continuity is just total shit but that’s always true on Uni-T meters.
Yes, thats the same finding as most of us who have one, has found. For the money they are a bit of a bargain but certainly no substitute for a decent bench or handheld meter but are wonderful at quick tests, an ideal tool to slip in your pocket if your going to be doing some work away from the bench and that DC current clamp is a real boon to have and saves so much time when measuring current providing you can get the particular wire into the jaws. :-+

Yeah that was use case B for it. No more having to break into the circuit or install a sampling resistor for current measurements. That's not an issue in prototype or low power circuits but gets pretty unweildy when you get to a few hundred mA and don't want to lose any volts anywhere.

I took the UT210E out this morning and did some playing much to the dismay of the curtain twitching neighbours watching me coughing my guts up all over the car. Jumped the car off a cheap ass jump starter pack. Can see charge current going into the battery once it's up but the battery is not holding it and after 2 minutes is just getting warm. Then low voltage alert goes on car and ECU shuts the whole thing down. Fortunately it's a tiny little thing and only £65. Ordered.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54234 on: April 01, 2020, 10:05:10 am »

Wow sorry to hear that. You got no clue how you contracted it? Maybe from things you touched from a store?  :palm:

I'm pretty sure I didn't touch my face and washed my hands with Hand sanitizer once I was in the car and washed again once I got home. So it was the delivery guy (and I was wearing gloves) or one of the kids got it and she is asymptomatic.  :-//

But I should be fine though, I'm in an age bracket where the risk is minimal.

Just be careful. I'm in a minimal risk bracket and usually get over stuff considerably quicker than most and it is still a vicious ride. I keep picking things up I would normally just not even notice and nothing happens! Fatigue and weakness last a long time apparently as well.

Interesting local story on this. My father-in-law, in his mid 60's, is in hospital now. He's a construction worker and is quite frankly hopeless and basically lives on McDonalds, KFC and tea and absolutely nothing else. So McDonalds and KFC were closed down and he had to diversify a bit. This I suspect involved switching to a diet of biscuits and he got clogged up and ended up in severe pain. So waltzed into local hospital, got X-rayed, found he was jammed up like a Hermes van, and got an impaction plan and then put on a ward to use his word "full of old people". His brother had to remind him that he is old too. So a couple of days later he has now tested positive for Covid-19 and has spent two days coughing on the other old people in the ward  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. Bit of a failure that generally both from his perspective and the hospital's.

Today's task: locate another T470 on ebay as the kids are all getting home learning stuff to do.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:07:40 am by bd139 »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #54235 on: April 01, 2020, 10:08:30 am »
Broke a toe a week ago. Because I have no desire to go to a doctor or hospital atm I taped it and moved on. Albeit slowly  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54236 on: April 01, 2020, 10:11:20 am »
Broke a toe a week ago. Because I have no desire to go to a doctor or hospital atm I taped it and moved on. Albeit slowly  :-DD

So did you kick TEA or drop TEA on the TOE ? :o
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54237 on: April 01, 2020, 10:12:38 am »
Now to rebuild the bench to accommodate it.   :palm:
Don't forget it has 4 rifa capacitors inside that you might like to check / replace. 2 by the power switch and 2 more by the power inlet socket
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #54238 on: April 01, 2020, 10:18:50 am »

Oh, both. Several times. But it was the edge of the bath that broke my toe.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54239 on: April 01, 2020, 10:31:48 am »
Ok got to play with the UT210E finally. After RTFM it’s surprisingly accurate on the bench! 1-2 counts out from the Flukes on DC current. I don’t have an AC test setup. Colour me impressed. Only negative is the continuity is just total shit but that’s always true on Uni-T meters.
Yes, thats the same finding as most of us who have one, has found. For the money they are a bit of a bargain but certainly no substitute for a decent bench or handheld meter but are wonderful at quick tests, an ideal tool to slip in your pocket if your going to be doing some work away from the bench and that DC current clamp is a real boon to have and saves so much time when measuring current providing you can get the particular wire into the jaws. :-+

Yeah that was use case B for it. No more having to break into the circuit or install a sampling resistor for current measurements. That's not an issue in prototype or low power circuits but gets pretty unweildy when you get to a few hundred mA and don't want to lose any volts anywhere.

I took the UT210E out this morning and did some playing much to the dismay of the curtain twitching neighbours watching me coughing my guts up all over the car. Jumped the car off a cheap ass jump starter pack. Can see charge current going into the battery once it's up but the battery is not holding it and after 2 minutes is just getting warm. Then low voltage alert goes on car and ECU shuts the whole thing down. Fortunately it's a tiny little thing and only £65. Ordered.

Has the car got stop-start system installed, if so then make sure that your battery is properly rated for this or it prematurely fail?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54240 on: April 01, 2020, 10:36:36 am »
Yep, you certainly don't wont to go to hospital if it can be avoided while this crisis is at large or else you will end up with at best, sub-standard care, and worst, Covid-19
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54241 on: April 01, 2020, 10:40:31 am »
Has the car got stop-start system installed, if so then make sure that your battery is properly rated for this or it prematurely fail?

Nope it's not stop-start. It's got a radio control car sized engine in it instead.  :-DD. Old battery is date coded 2013 so I reckon it's original battery.

Just got my RS delivery and found I ordered DFN packaged part instead of SOT ffs  :palm:. Thrown it away. I'm not even going to attempt to solder to that with the shakes  :-DD Was only a couple of quid so not end of world.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54242 on: April 01, 2020, 10:42:21 am »

Oh, both. Several times. But it was the edge of the bath that broke my toe.  :-DD

So becoming less dirTEA then  ::)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54243 on: April 01, 2020, 10:47:16 am »

So becoming less dirTEA then  ::)
LMAO
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54244 on: April 01, 2020, 10:50:33 am »
4503 has departed the Thurrock depot and is on its way to my local courier, so could be with me today, then we can tear it down for pictures.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54245 on: April 01, 2020, 11:05:35 am »
Back from grocery shopping. Was not crowded at all. Managed to get everything I needed except one item.

That one item would be TP. Yep.....there's not one roll in the store. I heard the store manager say that the paper truck did not arrive last night. But that shouldn't really matter. So apparently the sheep are still hoarding TP. I only wanted ONE roll. I keep one in use and two in reserve. I'm down to one in reserve. So buy one....not happening.  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54246 on: April 01, 2020, 11:11:29 am »
Do you have a lawn sprinkler or three seashells available?  :-DD

I'd mail you a roll or two but it'll take a couple of weeks to get there  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54247 on: April 01, 2020, 11:11:55 am »
But it was the edge of the bath that broke my toe.

Ouch. I presume you are certain it is broken rather than the ligaments being strained. If broken you don't want it to set in the wrong position.

Many decades ago I slipped on a step and my foot slammed down onto the step beneath. I howled with pain. The next day there was soreness and bruising, so to spread the load and avoid moving the bruised parts, I wore hiking boots with a solifd wooden sole, and continued as normal.

A week later the bruising was disappearing, but the minor pain wasn't, so I decided to go to the hospital A&E. That was in the middle of nowhere, I didn't have a car, so I push cycled the 5 miles there.

It turned out I had a 1 inch spiral fracture in my fifth metatarsal. Treatment: since the boots were as good as a cast, continue wearing the boots and cycle home :) Perfectly satisfactory.

While still booted up, I went to a job interview in a suit and boots. I expected them to ask me the reason for the non-standard dress sense, but they didn't. So I finally told them, they said they were wondering why, and offered me a job. I really enjoyed working at that fun zany place, and learned a lot :)

The other time I wore suit and boots was to go to Palo Alto on business. That was in the wake of PanAm 103, so there was enhanced security. The staff relaxed after I told them my ordinary shoes were in my case, and I preferred that they were lost rather than my walking boots :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54248 on: April 01, 2020, 11:15:24 am »

Don't bother. US Customs would probably send it back.  |O ;D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54249 on: April 01, 2020, 11:18:32 am »
Do you have a lawn sprinkler or three seashells available?  :-DD

OK, I'll nibble. Why three seashells?

And now med is beginning to understand why people hoard keep a stock for emergencies.

As somebody pointed out, CV19 gives you the sniffles not the bum's rush. Hence nose tissues are probably more important.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf