Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553129 times)

HalFoster, SingleBitError, ch_scr, Qw3rtzuiop and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54250 on: April 01, 2020, 11:21:31 am »
Do you have a lawn sprinkler or three seashells available?  :-DD

I'd mail you a roll or two but it'll take a couple of weeks to get there  :-DD

OK, I'll nibble. Why three seashells?

And now med is beginning to understand why people hoard keep a stock for emergencies.

As somebody pointed out, CV19 gives you the sniffles not the bum's rush. Hence nose tissues are probably more important.

Being down to one roll in reserve is hardly an emergency. What I have on hand will last me for WEEKS. The 2nd roll is my "emergency stock"
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #54251 on: April 01, 2020, 11:21:44 am »
Ouch. I presume you are certain it is broken rather than the ligaments being strained. If broken you don't want it to set in the wrong position.

Well, the *crack* I heard would suggest it broke ;)

But, not, I'm not sure. But it looks fairly straight. I know from past experiences (yes, not my first rodeo) that in case it's crooked they right it first (after injecting  local anasthesiac (sp?) in the root (which is one of the most painfull things /ever*)  after which they do exactly the same as I did: tape it firmly against its neighbour.

That said, still can feel I shouldn't put load on it. Which is too bad because I have a list the size of a toilet paper roll (ha!) of things to do in and out of the house.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54252 on: April 01, 2020, 11:25:06 am »

And now med is beginning to understand why people hoard keep a stock for emergencies.

As somebody pointed out, CV19 gives you the sniffles not the bum's rush. Hence nose tissues are probably more important.

https://youtu.be/gdnuOa7tDco

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Marck

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54253 on: April 01, 2020, 11:28:05 am »

https://youtu.be/gdnuOa7tDco

I had forgotten about that.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54254 on: April 01, 2020, 11:43:55 am »
Now to rebuild the bench to accommodate it.   :palm:
Don't forget it has 4 rifa capacitors inside that you might like to check / replace. 2 by the power switch and 2 more by the power inlet socket
I see them....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:47:32 am by Brumby »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54255 on: April 01, 2020, 11:47:16 am »
Very nice cracks ...  :scared:     :-/O
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54256 on: April 01, 2020, 11:58:28 am »
For your vicarious enjoyment....

Mains voltage select .... too easy.

Top down:

Inside front cover:

Inside back cover:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:01:39 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, beanflying, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54257 on: April 01, 2020, 12:02:52 pm »
Hermes has just been and delivered the 4503, photos to follow soon, shopping now. Plugged it in, switched on and all cal date is lost but input ranges seem to be operating as normal as the range LED illuminates for K \$\Omega\$, M \$\Omega\$, AC, DC, V, mA and A when the appropriate button is pressed, so it looks kind of promising.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54258 on: April 01, 2020, 12:03:08 pm »
@Brumby: Be careful when you replace the RIFAs on the 3478A. You have to remove the power switch and the switch pin gets very brittle. Try and avoid snapping it like I did  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #54260 on: April 01, 2020, 12:08:31 pm »

As you mentioned earlier, yes you can 3D print the button. I believe we talked about that once. The button model out there fits the shaft pretty good.

960938-0
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54261 on: April 01, 2020, 12:10:13 pm »
Offers from the clueless... Calls it a multimeter, calls it portable and can't even get the name correct (That's a B not an 8):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/274324356646

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54262 on: April 01, 2020, 12:20:25 pm »
Offers from the clueless... Calls it a multimeter, calls it portable and can't even get the name correct (That's a B not an 8):

I think, this is a non-native speaker offering this. And he/she is stating clearly in the description, that he/she has no clue of this device.

"Sie bieten hier auf einen gebrauchten Gerät. Über Funktions keine Angaben , da mir die nötige Kemtnisse fehlen."

But it looks like a nice 20V/5A PSU (I don't need it).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:22:33 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54263 on: April 01, 2020, 12:21:29 pm »

Mains voltage select .... too easy.

I shall now be able to sleep more soundly after the pictures  ;D Nice bit of Rifa Madness too....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54264 on: April 01, 2020, 12:29:21 pm »

I think, this is a non-native speaker offering this. And he/she is stating clearly in the description, that he/she has no clue of this device.

"Sie bieten hier auf einen gebrauchten Gerät. Über Funktions keine Angaben , da mir die nötige Kemtnisse fehlen."

Non-native to what language? They managed to write Digital Multimeter although it clearly says DC Power supply on the front of the device.

McBryce.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54265 on: April 01, 2020, 12:37:27 pm »
The 8505A PSU. Three screws and the entire unit slides out the back. Should be a straight forward and simple re-cap.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54266 on: April 01, 2020, 12:43:58 pm »

Non-native to what language? They managed to write Digital Multimeter although it clearly says DC Power supply on the front of the device.

German. And if this person is really not interested in technical stuff and do not care (for any reason) then one can see such things. I did many times, and sometimes the person suffers from dyslexic as well.

So, if somebody wants a decent PSU like this, perhaps a low-ball offer may be successfull. Just a guess.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54267 on: April 01, 2020, 12:46:15 pm »
OK, shopping can wait a few minutes, I had to crack it open. Cosmetically it is fucking mint apart from the calibration stickers, last cal was 2005 so its my guess it has not been used since then and measuring the RAM retention battery has confirmed it, is reading 120mV and has signs of leakage. Probing the PCB where the signs can seen shows it has as the tracks of the battery fluid are conductive around Q1 and the battery, nowhere else can I find any conduction, so I'm hopeful that after replacing the battery and a Good scrub of the PCB this will come to proper life again and then re-cal should restore it back to normal function. Inside it is like it has just been made, nice and date codes on the chips are 1997 / 1998. Case is all metal so its pretty robust, has 1 scratch on the top and all the feet and tilting bail are correct present in mint condition. Here a few snaps of the battery area to keep you all going till I return from shopping.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54268 on: April 01, 2020, 12:50:00 pm »
The 8505A PSU. Three screws and the entire unit slides out the back. Should be a straight forward and simple re-cap.

That 15000uF cap is definitely bulging
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54269 on: April 01, 2020, 12:51:53 pm »

Oh, I like those, especially spectrum analysers being called oscilloscopes :)

I found this "Ex-army Digital Multimeter", and such a poor description meant I was able to get my first nixies for £0.99 :)

More teardown pics and comments: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-8125a-military-dmm-teardown/msg2540730/#msg2540730
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54270 on: April 01, 2020, 01:56:44 pm »
Having ignored they "nay-sayers" and the why-bother gang, I went ahead and finished my 3D printed attachment for my DER EE DE5000 LCR meter. I can now connect my BNC Kelvin tweezers and probes to the meter.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker, mnementh, worsthorse, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #54271 on: April 01, 2020, 02:21:48 pm »
Yuck, that's worse than my 4503 was Specmaster.

The price of those pcb mount batteries being what they are, I just made a custom pack with two AAAs   :-X
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #54272 on: April 01, 2020, 02:28:09 pm »
Being down to one roll in reserve is hardly an emergency. What I have on hand will last me for WEEKS. The 2nd roll is my "emergency stock"
You need to eat more fibre, man.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54273 on: April 01, 2020, 02:38:43 pm »
Just be careful. I'm in a minimal risk bracket and usually get over stuff considerably quicker than most and it is still a vicious ride. I keep picking things up I would normally just not even notice and nothing happens! Fatigue and weakness last a long time apparently as well.

Welcome to my world. That describes me for about a week or more after a proper asthma attack. You feel basically OK, perhaps a bit rough around the edges, but the second you try and do something, like walk more than 10 feet, or pick something up, you realise that you're buggered. Haven't had to contend with a proper attack for a long time (crosses fingers, touches wood).

People tend to treat asthma as something relatively mild and don't realise how debilitating it can be - one day you're tooling around on a bicycle overtaking people half your age and generally being surprisingly fit for an old git and the next you'd lose a fight with a kitten. An ambulance paramedic I used to know socially described an asthma attack, just from observing patients, as "like trying to run a marathon while breathing through a drinking straw", he was pretty close. The upside is that if getting this is only as bad as a proper full-on asthma attack then subjectively I'll cruise through it, if and when I get it, because my perceptions of a 'bad respiratory day' are on a different scale to most other people's.

Speaking from experience, don't overdo it, don't even try to do it. Sit back and do nothing, the less you do the sooner you'll recover. The less stress you put on all the 'get oxygen to where it's needed' apparatus the sooner it can recover; and understand that normal everyday activities count as stressors at the moment. Get the little house slaves to do all the work (as long as that won't give you food poisoning).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54274 on: April 01, 2020, 02:40:43 pm »
Back from grocery shopping. Was not crowded at all. Managed to get everything I needed except one item.

That one item would be TP. Yep.....there's not one roll in the store. I heard the store manager say that the paper truck did not arrive last night. But that shouldn't really matter. So apparently the sheep are still hoarding TP. I only wanted ONE roll. I keep one in use and two in reserve. I'm down to one in reserve. So buy one....not happening.  :palm:

For some reasons, over here everything is in stock excepted eggs  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf