Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14911335 times)

TERRA Operative, factory, wkb, bergenhut and 208 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54350 on: April 02, 2020, 09:47:19 am »
It was more the carnage that triggered my response....

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54351 on: April 02, 2020, 10:33:14 am »
Much joy. Got an email from someone local a few days ago I really couldn't be arsed to reply to. He's gone a bit mental what with "idle hands" and has turned into a doomsday prepper. Item one to purchase, well probably item three after toilet paper and pasta, was apparently a Baofeng and he now wants me to show him how to use it. Bear in mind he doesn't even have any conceptual knowledge of how HT radios work, doesn't have an amateur radio license and doesn't know anyone to talk to with it and probably assumes there's some world he can't see that he has to be a part of.  :palm: :palm: :palm:.  (really it's mostly racists, brexit, strawberries and lots of people unable to hear each other properly)

So I woke up this morning and was saved by a cut and paste video from VK3YE uploaded last night. The production values are awful, but the content is good:

Worthy of relaying to anyone who comes up with the inevitable questions to save yourself having to explain it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:35:41 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54352 on: April 02, 2020, 10:44:09 am »
One thing about your prepper is that he should have a good stock of TP  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54353 on: April 02, 2020, 10:45:29 am »
Yeah and I know where he lives when I run out  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54354 on: April 02, 2020, 10:45:34 am »
Do you need a license in the UK for basic 70cm UHF sets? Here providing you stay with the Power and standard channels you are all good, That said my little Baofeng can play outside that and above the power should I want to  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54355 on: April 02, 2020, 10:48:13 am »
Yep. Min foundation license here for 2m / 70cm. It's a piece of piss to get. Multiple choice questions and a practical test to make sure you can screw in a PL259 and turn the radio on  :palm:. Got 100% on my test in 10 minutes  :-DD

Edit: the foundation license here is basically an idiot test. There are plenty of idiots who have absolutely no critical thinking ability or the ability to retain even simple facts so it sort of filters them out of the process. Yes there were failures x2.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:51:27 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54356 on: April 02, 2020, 10:50:10 am »
Does RS operate a system where you can pull of information of old part numbers etc?  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54357 on: April 02, 2020, 10:52:19 am »
Usually you just google the RS product code and it leads to the page that contained the product. If you're lucky there are datasheets. Failing that you are screwed or need an old RS catalogue. What are you after in particular?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54358 on: April 02, 2020, 10:57:45 am »
Just curious about my 4503, it was sold as a RS product on code 254-027. So far I have discovered that it was tested on week 6 of 1998 so its just 22 years old.
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54359 on: April 02, 2020, 11:00:09 am »
No product data for that https://int.rsdelivers.com/product/MN/MPN/SD/0254033

Best bet would be an old hardcopy RS catalogue. It's probably still in their ERP system but not on the public web.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54360 on: April 02, 2020, 11:06:48 am »
Coincidentally, it was also 1998 that RS opened for business on the web.
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54361 on: April 02, 2020, 11:10:22 am »

My daughter prepped for Brexit, and is now grateful albeit for different purposes.

She was interviewed by and quoted in a notable range of publications - but people like you made her obfuscate her personal details :)

It will be interesting to see whether, in 5 years time, people think keeping a full stock cupboard / pantry is a good idea,
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54362 on: April 02, 2020, 11:16:19 am »

My daughter prepped for Brexit, and is now grateful albeit for different purposes.

She was interviewed by and quoted in a notable range of publications - but people like you made her obfuscate her personal details :)

It will be interesting to see whether, in 5 years time, people think keeping a full stock cupboard / pantry is a good idea,
Thats something that time will tell, we might not have even left by then, who knows?
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54363 on: April 02, 2020, 11:18:57 am »

Thats something that time will tell, we might not have even left by then, who knows?

To pick up on the ambiguity of "have left", I've told my daughter that my success criterion for the next year is that both of us are still alive.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54364 on: April 02, 2020, 11:21:11 am »

To pick up on the ambiguity of "have left", I've told my daughter that my success criterion for the next year is that both of us are still alive.
Thats so very true, lets get out of the current crisis first and then worry about Brexit.
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54365 on: April 02, 2020, 11:30:09 am »

It's always a good idea to obfuscate your details when having a supply of any particular resource which may be in short supply and never advertise your whereabouts as well. My favourite is always the folk who post their holiday photos on facebook and come back and find out someone has nicked their telly.

As for keeping stock I tend to keep quite a bit in usually to ride out a couple of weeks of carnage but it is apparent from this that a few months is a good idea. My experience comes from having £12 to feed two adults and a baby on for a week once. There's only so much tesco value bread you can stomach, assuming there is any to buy when you need it.

Objectively I believe our departure from the EU will result in the same again, possibly lasting a couple of years. It appears as a nation we're incapable of adapting quickly to anything. We also have the Russians kicking off propaganda, and the Hungarians and Polish going all nazi and at the moment as well attempting to fragment Europe further.

Thats so very true, lets get out of the current crisis first and then worry about Brexit.

I'd hold that mentality for now. While your back is turned, things are afoot to make things worse.

Incidentally my father-in-law and mother appear to have picked this up now. My mother went vegetable shopping the other day out of the blue at an open air greengrocers because she was bored and "fed up of being inside".  :palm:. Getting the feeling I'm going to be clearing house out later this year. My father in law, who is quite frankly useless and only eats KFC and McDonalds, had to change his diet, got clogged up and ended up in hospital and caught it in there.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:33:17 am by bd139 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #54366 on: April 02, 2020, 11:45:51 am »
quick update: Canon has assigned the broken lens to a technician.
My fever is down (still elevated temp about 1.2 C above the norm) but stable.
The cough has subsided and I am waiting for Hubby to go out to the pharmacy and grab my wholesale order.
Also called in sick to work but will attend a meeting in an hour or so.

Could all be worse.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54367 on: April 02, 2020, 12:11:41 pm »
I'd hold that mentality for now. While your back is turned, things are afoot to make things worse.

Incidentally my father-in-law and mother appear to have picked this up now. My mother went vegetable shopping the other day out of the blue at an open air greengrocers because she was bored and "fed up of being inside".  :palm:. Getting the feeling I'm going to be clearing house out later this year. My father in law, who is quite frankly useless and only eats KFC and McDonalds, had to change his diet, got clogged up and ended up in hospital and caught it in there.
Tend to agree with that, there are dark storm clouds bubbling up alright. I see that Mr Johnson and also Mr Hancock, who are both alleged to have got Covid-19 and both are supposed to coming back to public life 1-2 weeks before the isolation period laid down by them, has elapsed,  :wtf: If the reports are true, did they fake having it to escape being scrutinised about why we are not taking part of the EU's bulk purchase for ventilators, or, did they only catch a special VIP version of it  :bullshit:, or are they going to be spreading it wide and far within the cabinet and government and wider??? :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #54369 on: April 02, 2020, 12:26:29 pm »
Could not resist, I found another of those really nice Power Designs power supply on ebay at a really reasonable price. This time it's model 2010 0-20v 1A.

One day I'll get one of these beauties. One day ...  8)  :D

I've not even seen one offered! That 'One day ...' might be a long time off. And then we might be fighting over it. :box: :D

With teeth, claws and Handflammpatronen!!!

Mit Geduld, List und Tücke, fängt man eine Mücke.  :box:   :-DD

Manchmal hilft ein bisschen dummes Glück. ;)

mnem
"Man who catch fly with chopstick... accomplish ANYTHING."

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54370 on: April 02, 2020, 12:28:27 pm »
Found the DMM calibration data and put the 3478A through its paces...

Measure temp: 25.3ºC
4.9969 VAC
1.025 mA
0.999 <> 1.000 mA

1.00010 k
10.0017 k
100.074 k
There doesn't seem to be a value for DC volts -
but this is what was measured:  4.9999 VDC
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:33:03 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54371 on: April 02, 2020, 12:32:54 pm »
Found the DMM calibration data and put the 3478A through its paces...

Measure temp: 25.3ºC
4.9969 VAC
1.025 mA
0.999 <> 1.000 mA

1.00010 k
10.0017 k
100.074 k
4.9999 VDC

Good enough for 'stralia  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54372 on: April 02, 2020, 12:38:46 pm »
Resistance checks were done with 4 wire setup.  (Something I've always yearned for)

Considering the age of both bits of kit, I'm happy.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #54373 on: April 02, 2020, 12:39:13 pm »
   Having ignored they "nay-sayers" and the why-bother gang, I went ahead and finished my 3D printed attachment for my DER EE DE5000 LCR meter. I can now connect my BNC Kelvin tweezers and probes to the meter.

McBryce.

:P PPPPPPPTTTTTPPPPBBBBB!

That said... how did adding all that coax & connectors affect your accuracy & ability to zero out the poor fucker...? Net gain, or just more assache...?

In all honesty... I didn't mean to sound so negative; it just seemed a lot of work to try & achieve Lab-grade measurement process from a device which was designed primarily to be quick & versatile in connectivity yet reasonably accurate for diag work. Kind of the antithesis of what the DE-5000 is all about. :-//

mnem
*currently hating the "oh, so close..." aspect of Murphy's Law*

I haven't wired it up yet. The PCB in the picture is still the 1.6mm version which doesn't fit into the meters slots. The 1mm PCB has arrived, but I haven't had a chance to cut and fit it yet. It shouldn't be an issue to zero it out. If it's properly shielded and the internal connections kept to a minimum length and seperated it should have results equal or better than the standard crocodile clip version.

McBryce.

You & I both know that "shouldn't be" & "should have" are BOTH Murphy's pups. I can see just the capacitance of all that extra coax fscking with your head bigtime. Good luck, my friend. ;)

mnem
The Devil, she never sleeps.

Yes, but we won't be able to answer that question until I actually build and test one.

And to answer your 3D question above. I've had best results with the brass coloured fitting on the far right of your pictures.

McBryce.

Agreed. And I promise; I was being sincere when I wished you luck. More power tooya. ;)

Thanks. I'm trying to decide whether to keep the red extruder or send it back while I can, along with a few other bits. More data points helps make that an informed decision. :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54374 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:32 pm »
The overnight run on the 8505A appears to be a fail but I discovered the issue. I mentioned that I thought there were cal issues with the 100V range and 1000V range. This proved to be correct. The ABSOLUTE cal data in memory is indeed correct but the ZERO point is incorrect and that was screwing up the readings.

See pix. The 8505A powers up default 1000VDC manual range. Look at the display. 10mV? That ain't right. If you short the input still reads 10mV. I found the procedure in the manual to set an absolute zero. Turns out all the DC ranges needed to be reset. Now that it's done this 8505A is freaking BANG ON.  :-+ :-+ But I'm going to repeat the burn in to make sure. I'll post results tomorrow.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf