Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14907231 times)

wkb, Robert763 and 231 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54375 on: April 02, 2020, 01:15:15 pm »

One. Fucking. Millimeter. Doesn't seem like much from the overview... but when you look at the business end, it really is a BIG fucking deal. The one side is close enough to either melt or totally eff up the thermals on the heat block. SO CLOSE.

Of course, my inner bean is whispering (while poking me with a hand-made scratch awl) "iterative design..." and I can hear other voices murmuring "You have your first iteration... now fix it with a new design in Fusion."

Fuck you all very much.  :-DD

mnem
and a special "Fuck. You." just for bean.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:17:15 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54376 on: April 02, 2020, 01:17:30 pm »
1mm out is hot snot distance  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54377 on: April 02, 2020, 01:18:40 pm »
Gee Dragon.....frustrated much??  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #54378 on: April 02, 2020, 01:29:15 pm »
As it happens, I have a full set of RS 1998 paper catalogues...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54379 on: April 02, 2020, 01:34:43 pm »

I think I can see singed Smurf in the near future....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54380 on: April 02, 2020, 01:35:06 pm »
Well it would be nice to know if it mentions the metal case in the description for this meter and also what its original price was when you get a few minutes to spare, please.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54381 on: April 02, 2020, 01:38:41 pm »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54382 on: April 02, 2020, 01:39:40 pm »
Yep.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #54383 on: April 02, 2020, 01:57:31 pm »

I don't have time for that shit right now. I'll just hire Wendy to deal with the little bastards.  >:D

Worse... I just found the EASY cure actually in stock someplace I can order it. US$30 delivered and anything made for the Ender 3 hotend setup will just bolt right on. |O

mnem
Maybe I should just throw a little money at the problem and wait a few days... :o

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54384 on: April 02, 2020, 02:08:32 pm »

Agreed. And I promise; I was being sincere when I wished you luck. More power tooya. ;)

Thanks. I'm trying to decide whether to keep the red extruder or send it back while I can, along with a few other bits. More data points helps make that an informed decision. :-+

mnem

I use the red extruder and I'm quite happy with it. Even if you have a better one, I'd still keep the red one as a spare.

Getting back to your concerns about the parasitic capacitance on my DER EE expansion. I thought I'd do some tests on a few bodged lengths of coax and I don't think there will be any extra capacitance to zero out. There are 4 coax leads, each carrying one signal - Sense+, Sense-, Load+, Load- and the shield of each coax is connected to the Guard. As far as I can see, the only capacitance build-up would be between any line and guard, but I assume that the sense lines are being measured differentially relative to each other, not relative to the guard (if they did it properly). So how would any capacitance be added to the circuit, no matter how long the coax leads are. Inductance perhaps, but not capacitance.

McBryce.

P.s. Version two of the DER expansion is printing at the moment, with all the changes I manually made to V1. I also added anti-rotation features to the BNC socket holes.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54385 on: April 02, 2020, 02:18:46 pm »
Well it would be nice to know if it mentions the metal case in the description for this meter and also what its original price was when you get a few minutes to spare, please.

No mention of case type. Curiously enough, the 1906 in the catalogue is not a lot more expensive, unless you get the GPIB option, £100 extra!
Also curiously, the 1906 has a plastic case, whereas mine has a metal case... I guess Black Star and TTi were both using whatever they could get their hands on at the time? Playing suppliers off against each other? Would be nice if there was some former employee member of this forum that could shed some light, just to satisfy curiosity at least   :-//

My 1906:

Pulled apart a dimmable LED lamp that had failed, last night (wow, was I bored or what...). Was a Crompton 5716 (now discontinued).  Digging all the silicone out was a proper ball-ache, particularly as I wanted to do as little damage as possible to the power supply so I could identify the failure mode (had already checked all the LEDs).
Does no-one clean flux off boards any more?

As their factory is within throwing distance of several of our sites, I might just post the remains through their letterbox...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #54386 on: April 02, 2020, 02:32:26 pm »
that does not look healthy.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54387 on: April 02, 2020, 02:41:55 pm »
Yeah I think it's a combination of not cleaning the flux and overheating.

The diode tests ok, as does the snubber diode in the mosfet, but I'll have to remove the mosfet from the board to test it properly.

There is also a 160V 47uF electro on the other side of the board where that mosfet is, and even though it's a 105 celcius one, it's on the list of suspects.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54388 on: April 02, 2020, 02:42:40 pm »
You can clearly see the case is metal though  :D

If anyone is at a loose end while being locked down this might cheer you up a bit  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54389 on: April 02, 2020, 02:46:32 pm »
Yeah, you can.

Think I'll dig out my Maplins and Farnell catalogues from the same era and see if they have them too.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54390 on: April 02, 2020, 02:49:03 pm »
first of all I would clean up the area. Remove the components, test them, and resolder them.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54391 on: April 02, 2020, 03:01:19 pm »
No point, I did damage some "unpotting" it, one in particular 1206 sized one has lost it's resistive coat and markings, just the ceramic substrate left.
Also a couple of inductors are now "sine filis"...   :-[
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54392 on: April 02, 2020, 04:21:52 pm »
Well, some interesting reading, going back to the past to see what these things cost new.

Looks like the metal body 4503 is the later version, probably to do with the EMC changes at the start of 1996. Seems to be the same for the 1906, and of course mine is badged TTi, so is later still.

One fascinating (to me) little nugget, is that the Fluke 8060A and AVO 8 were still sold up to at least 1998, and were more expensive than a Fluke 87 III   :o

Also looking at the prices of some of my other gear makes me glad I wasn't trying to build a workshop collection back then, I would have needed to be a lottery winner, especially regarding scopes and scopemeters   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #54393 on: April 02, 2020, 04:23:21 pm »
Cheers Ice-Tea, you pre-empted me stubbing my right foot into a wooden storage chest that we have in our hallway in the early hours of the morning while attempting to catch a very naughty cat who didn't want to go to bed last night. It almost brought tears to my eyes. Had no sleep all night as it kept giving my shooting pains like someone was poking red-hot needles into my toes. Got up worked my way downstairs and took some painkillers and then sat up all night with the pain. Still doing this morning, no sign of an bruising or other damage just these regular shooting pains  |O

On the bright side: it helps with the "well, now you're home here's a list with all the things that need to be done".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54394 on: April 02, 2020, 04:29:15 pm »
Cheers Ice-Tea, you pre-empted me stubbing my right foot into a wooden storage chest that we have in our hallway in the early hours of the morning while attempting to catch a very naughty cat who didn't want to go to bed last night. It almost brought tears to my eyes. Had no sleep all night as it kept giving my shooting pains like someone was poking red-hot needles into my toes. Got up worked my way downstairs and took some painkillers and then sat up all night with the pain. Still doing this morning, no sign of an bruising or other damage just these regular shooting pains  |O

On the bright side: it helps with the "well, now you're home here's a list with all the things that need to be done".
To an extent it does, it also gives rise to "open your eyes", "you knew it was there" comments etc  :horse: :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54395 on: April 02, 2020, 04:44:22 pm »
You can clearly see the case is metal though  :D

If anyone is at a loose end while being locked down this might cheer you up a bit  :-DD

Oh god, can we please leave Jim Davidson where he belongs, on stage in a smoky working men's club in Scunthorpe in the 1970's, being pelted with the leftovers of people's pies and empty beer bottles?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Andy Watson, mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54396 on: April 02, 2020, 04:49:48 pm »
Well, some interesting reading, going back to the past to see what these things cost new.

Looks like the metal body 4503 is the later version, probably to do with the EMC changes at the start of 1996. Seems to be the same for the 1906, and of course mine is badged TTi, so is later still.

One fascinating (to me) little nugget, is that the Fluke 8060A and AVO 8 were still sold up to at least 1998, and were more expensive than a Fluke 87 III   :o

Also looking at the prices of some of my other gear makes me glad I wasn't trying to build a workshop collection back then, I would have needed to be a lottery winner, especially regarding scopes and scopemeters   :scared:

Well, don't forget that for years, in the UK at least, the Avo 8 was considered to be the bench mark of meters and service charts / manuals often used to cite it as the meter to be used when measuring voltages on a piece of equipment, or at the very least, they would state that a meter of 20,000opv be used, so I'm not at all surprised that it was still on sale or that it was more expensive than some newer boys on the block, even if they were called Fluke  :-DD.

I know what you mean about the prices back in the day, all I could do was dream of owning such items of TE and its only in the last few years that I have been able to start gathering some decent equipment around me, I now have two Avo 8's.

Well she is back in operation and all seems to be working fine apart from the Auto Ranging. still got to look at the advanced functions like logging etc. Not sure if the remote part works, never had the need to use any remotes so far so not bothered.

Here its reading a voltage of according to my Fluke 8840A 5.5032V and it reads 5.426V so a calibration will be done once the auto ranging is sorted.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54397 on: April 02, 2020, 05:00:32 pm »
Well, the 1998 RS catalogue lists the Fluke 87 III at £239, the 8060A at £429, and the AVO 8 at £499.

My PM99 II was around £1700, couldn't find my TDS420A, but lower models like the 310 and stuff were listed at well over £2k. Oh, and my Fluke 8840A would have cost me around £110 £1100   :palm:.

All prices are exclusive of vodka and tonic of course... which if memory serves was at 17.5% back then.

EDIT: Here's a 1906 for you. When considering the price, always remember, it's been "cleaned and tested" !   :-DD :palm:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THURLBY-THANDAR-INSTRUMENTS-58122-0280-581220280-USED-TESTED-CLEANED/392307906399
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:41:06 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54398 on: April 02, 2020, 05:17:23 pm »
different note.
https://youtu.be/a19OpQfwB2w

fabulous wood working skills.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #54399 on: April 02, 2020, 05:30:49 pm »
Well, the 1998 RS catalogue lists the Fluke 87 III at £239, the 8060A at £429, and the AVO 8 at £499.

My PM99 II was around £1700, couldn't find my TDS420A, but lower models like the 310 and stuff were listed at well over £2k. Oh, and my Fluke 8840A would have cost me around £110.

All prices are exclusive of vodka and tonic of course... which if memory serves was at 17.5% back then.

My suspicion regarding the continued availability of otherwise 'obsolete' test instruments at high prices is that many of them were likely written into test procedures for things made for the military or perhaps medical fields - instances where it would be far less costly overall to pay 2 or 3 times the price of a contemporary instrument to get the manufacturer to basically make a one-off of an otherwise discontinued piece of gear that had died than to select and qualify a newer instrument that had never been used in that particular test setup before, then spend who knows how much time, effort and $$ getting approvals run up and down the chain before being able to use it.  For instance, the 5245L counter first appeared in the 1963 catalog, and made its last appearance in the 1981 issue.  And I recall seeing the 5340A in, IIRC, early 1990s era catalogs available on a "we'll build you another one if you reeeeallly want it, but it's gonna cost you" basis.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf