Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14901259 times)

Carl_Smith and 191 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55125 on: April 09, 2020, 06:54:46 am »
My B does very nicely on the DVM front  8)

Oh, wow! That is quite nice. Better than I was expecting and 5-1/2 digits! Now I have to get one. You know that, right? Evil, evil man. :-DD

Can't imagine why I have been called a Pimp and Enabler  :-DD Those voltage checks were uncalibrated or tweaked from when it arrived from the USA but it did come from a good home.

I think most of us in this thread (at least the regulars) should be sporting brightly colored velvet Zoot suits and feathered pimp hats, wearing big HP, Fluke or Tektronix emblems on chains around our necks and using giant test probe walking sticks.  That's likely how any noobs that enter here imagine us as we push test gear on them.  "Come on, take a hit of e-bay - you'll love it.  No, no, it's perfectly safe!  I've been doing it for years now!  What are you afraid of?" subtly turns on dynamic signal analyzer in hopes that the loud fan masks creaking noises of floor joists

-Pat

Now, how do I get these pictures out of my head?  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Turn on your counter and stare at the warm orange glow of the nixies.  Your troubles will fade into an amber haze.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #55126 on: April 09, 2020, 07:18:25 am »
@edavid could not get the ECP port to work with Virtualbox
@Neomys Sapiens well, I was annoyed. However Husband wants to have access to the bench to start cleaning his tools of trade (in Glock we trust)
@bd139 I can see your point. Without external power supply the parallel port driven gizmos are flakey at best, unusable at worst
@Kosmic good point. Will get a USB driven kit, I just hate to throw stuff away that may be remotely useful. Good thing about this is that I learned a bit about those virtualizers yesterday.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #55127 on: April 09, 2020, 08:03:40 am »
More Nixie Pimpin with 9 whole tubes. Freight to Oz is to much so waiting on the Street Corner for the USA mob  ;D eBay auction: #254564357775

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: edavid, med6753

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55128 on: April 09, 2020, 08:36:20 am »
I was trying similar strategies against squirrels couple years ago. I ended up using a cage, was working quite nicely. I reckon, in your case, you would probably need to increase the size of the cage and that would probably attract neighbours attention.

* For the record, I relocated all the squirrels I caught in a park far far away.

Needs mo' powah! Didn't even make it to the fence. :-DD

Yeah, but the rumbling big block V8 might scare the squirrels off.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55129 on: April 09, 2020, 08:52:01 am »
I think most of us in this thread (at least the regulars) should be sporting brightly colored velvet Zoot suits and feathered pimp hats, wearing big HP, Fluke or Tektronix emblems on chains around our necks and using giant test probe walking sticks.  That's likely how any noobs that enter here imagine us as we push test gear on them.  "Come on, take a hit of e-bay - you'll love it.  No, no, it's perfectly safe!  I've been doing it for years now!  What are you afraid of?" subtly turns on dynamic signal analyzer in hopes that the loud fan masks creaking noises of floor joists

-Pat

Edit: better Logo image

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:02:19 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55130 on: April 09, 2020, 10:53:12 am »
Thanks for the offer, it's not necessary since I rarely use that scope. Otherwise, a teardown would be interesting anyway. I guess there's some kind of micro involved, since I don't know of a way to connect a battery backed SRAM through a SUB-D 9 connector without one. Or maybe some shift registers? This SUB-D 9 isn't a RS232 at all AFAIR.

Possibly an I2C battery backed up RAM? PCF8570/8571? Or RTC PCF8583?

Rainer

I was curious myself and pulled the settings-saving-plug of my PM3065:
966496-0

Bingo! It is indeed PCF8570-based. I reverse-engineered it, so here's the schematic. Use at your own risk.   8)
966492-1
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55131 on: April 09, 2020, 10:57:39 am »
The grab bag of Tek probes is making excellent progress cross country via FedEx truck.  Passed thru Illinois overnight and projected delivery is Saturday. 6 days to go cross country truck not bad at all. USPS should get a clue. It took them 6 days to go 120 miles.  :palm: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55132 on: April 09, 2020, 11:56:46 am »
Just ordered a load of caps to do a full recap of the Black Star 4503 and another mem battery. Battery and the bulk of the caps should be tomorrow from RS and the odd few ones are coming from BitBox and should here in 2 to 3 days, fingers crossed, lets see what happens shall we?  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55133 on: April 09, 2020, 11:57:30 am »
Bitsbox are still working nicely. Had a delivery last week. Took 3 days though.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55134 on: April 09, 2020, 12:00:13 pm »
@bd139, How are feeling now? better I hope? I'm awaiting the arrival of a heating engineer to service my boiler as it is overdue and keeps going to limp mode  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55135 on: April 09, 2020, 12:04:09 pm »
Absolutely fine now and completely back to normal :-+. First symptoms on 18th March so 4 weeks it took for normality to completely resume :(

That's a shitter with the boiler. At least it didn't crap itself in the middle of winter!

Edit: looking back it was 15th of march so that's 3 weeks 4 days and i couldn't add when I worked out 4 weeks above  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:17:09 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55136 on: April 09, 2020, 12:13:42 pm »
@bd139, How are feeling now? better I hope? I'm awaiting the arrival of a heating engineer to service my boiler as it is overdue and keeps going to limp mode  :palm:

Does the boiler also provide your hot water or do you have point of use heaters?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55137 on: April 09, 2020, 12:17:45 pm »
Arh, thats good news to hear that you're back to normal again. Yeah, the boiler was meant to be serviced just after Christmas but the HA never booked it in and automatic program on the programmer, after so many weeks etc, automatically drops into limp mode with an error message if the boiler isn't serviced and the counter reset. It did crap itself 4 weeks ago and they came and put a bypass code in and today they are doing the service.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55138 on: April 09, 2020, 12:18:48 pm »

Does the boiler also provide your hot water or do you have point of use heaters?

Yeah, the boiler does both.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55139 on: April 09, 2020, 12:20:52 pm »
Arh, thats good news to hear that you're back to normal again. Yeah, the boiler was meant to be serviced just after Christmas but the HA never booked it in and automatic program on the programmer, after so many weeks etc, automatically drops into limp mode with an error message if the boiler isn't serviced and the counter reset. It did crap itself 4 weeks ago and they came and put a bypass code in and today they are doing the service.

That sounds about right. If it's ours the remote thermostat packs in once every two years without fail requiring both ends being replaces for 100 quid or so plus labour (I should just do it but I can't be arsed). I have to take it to bits every 6 months as well because the membrane keyboard on it starts going wonky and needs a clean out. Can't set the objective temperature then  :palm:

Edit: I remember living in HA property in Islington as a kid. It took them 9 months to fix the heating and we had blankets pinned on the windows all winter. Sounds like things have improved since then at least  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:22:51 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55140 on: April 09, 2020, 12:24:05 pm »

That sounds about right. If it's ours the remote thermostat packs in once every two years without fail requiring both ends being replaces for 100 quid or so plus labour (I should just do it but I can't be arsed). I have to take it to bits every 6 months as well because the membrane keyboard on it starts going wonky and needs a clean out. Can't set the objective temperature then  :palm:

Edit: I remember living in HA property in Islington as a kid. It took them 9 months to fix the heating and we had blankets pinned on the windows all winter. Sounds like things have improved since then at least  :-DD
Is the thermostat one of those wireless jobbies? There fricking useless they are.

Edit, nope, our HA are really good.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55141 on: April 09, 2020, 12:27:52 pm »
Honeywell wireless turd. Absolutely nothing but trouble. But as the gas guy said "they're all shit. this one is just marginally less shit than the other ones"

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55142 on: April 09, 2020, 12:45:10 pm »

Which manufacturer is that boiler?

The two recommended brands are Worcester-Bosch, and Vaillant. Heating technicians I know prefer the servicability of Vaillant.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55143 on: April 09, 2020, 12:45:43 pm »
Bingo! It is indeed PCF8570-based. I reverse-engineered it, so here's the schematic. Use at your own risk.   8)

:-+

Your "6" is suspiciously looking like a "8"  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:00:05 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55144 on: April 09, 2020, 01:16:05 pm »
Cheap (45$) Power Designs 2020 on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/402057708269

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:26:29 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, jxjbsd, alextwin007

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #55145 on: April 09, 2020, 01:40:47 pm »

I was curious myself and pulled the settings-saving-plug of my PM3065:

Thanks, looks simple enough to give it a try in case I get my hands on a PCF8570
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55146 on: April 09, 2020, 01:50:35 pm »
@bd139 Yeh, same here Honeywell shit.

@tggzzz, yep boiler is Worcester.

Engineer has been, all serviced and now, hopefully no more problems for a year at least  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55147 on: April 09, 2020, 01:58:21 pm »
Had confirmation, all orders from Bitbox and RS are now dispatched. Just realised that tomorrow is Good Friday so no post tomorrow, hopefully it will all be here Saturday then  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #55148 on: April 09, 2020, 02:01:09 pm »
 :-+Beautiful machine!
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55149 on: April 09, 2020, 02:02:55 pm »
More Nixie Pimpin with 9 whole tubes. Freight to Oz is to much so waiting on the Street Corner for the USA mob  ;D eBay auction: #254564357775

I'd say the price is acceptable, even if its for parts only. 9 digits, 18 GHz.
There's lots of offers of 'parts only' 1 channel 10 MHz CROs that have higher prices (no, not sought after antiques, just crap).

If I'd lived in the US, I'd certainly tried to get it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf