Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563729 times)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55700 on: April 14, 2020, 01:48:01 am »
No wonder we have muppets running around destroying 5G towers, someone should section this idiot quickly, lock him up and then throw away the key, he is clearly a dangerous person to have running around stirring up conspiracy theories and fake information like this.  :palm:

After reading a bit into it, the entity behind the website quoted by Beanflying seems to me even more dangerous. Not as blatant, but every bit as lunatic as him.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #55701 on: April 14, 2020, 01:58:31 am »
Like all Fringe humans they have fringe 'beliefs' Anti Vaccer and Catholic Church rules the world by conspiracy but pro science and reason when it comes to 5G.

No one is 'perfect'  :palm: :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55702 on: April 14, 2020, 02:03:05 am »

I hate to distract anyone from all these weighty topics  ;D  but...

There is a 8591E with the tracking generator, GPIB, and narrow bandwidth options on my local CL*. I am in conversation with the seller now.  If I do buy it, I will have an opportunity to test it out as thoroughly as I wish, at least once I figure out how to do so safely.

So... I have read mixed reviews about this SA. When I was evaluating my options, it was one of the models I looked at. Anyone here have one? Used one? What do you like about it? Hate?

And... I won't get it for a jammy git price but what would be a really good deal?  The prices on ebay seem to be crazy, though the "completed deal" prices are more reasonable.

Off to look through the manual in more detail and figure out if it can do anything my current SA cannot, other than look like a really sweet piece of HP TE, I mean.

*Yes I have an SA (the entry level Siglent w/ TG) so I don't really need it but then I don't really need approximately eighty percent of the TE on my shelves, so why should that stop me?
I would wait for another member of the family. Look around for the stuff you might want to look at and judge wheter you can see the 2nd harmonic (at least). Also ensure that you get one loaded with a comprehensive set of options. The faster tuned y/t measurements, for example. If you do not beef this series up significantly, you are better off woth one of the modern portables.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #55703 on: April 14, 2020, 02:30:07 am »
edit bought the pack, the sierra cup, and the other cup in 1978.  still use all 3.  good god man.....picture yourself sitting by the fire sipping black label Jack from a plastic cup.....it should be against the law.

Medium-term lurker here who is now on the other side of the moat Ottawa River from where I grew up near the territory of a certain dwagon...
I have resisted joining into this thread, but test equipment, camping stoves (Whisperlite International is my pick) and now this makes it irresistible.

The detail I took note of is that carabiner attached to that external frame pack.  (I started hiking when it was all switched to internal frame packs.)  One of my other past-times is rock climbing and I have seen quite the range of carabiners, but that is one model that I have not seen before. I especially noted how the flanges were done to attach the gate.  Does it indicate who made it and do you know what the vintage is?

By the way, @beanflying is playing dangerously by dangling those links to the HP-5326B in front of me.  Unfortunately, it's not in my budget at the moment and my US re-shipper buddy is back home in Canada sheltering from the COVID craze.

[putting toe in water ... see, it's not so bad]

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #55704 on: April 14, 2020, 02:34:27 am »

I hate to distract anyone from all these weighty topics  ;D  but...

There is a 8591E with the tracking generator, GPIB, and narrow bandwidth options on my local CL*. I am in conversation with the seller now.  If I do buy it, I will have an opportunity to test it out as thoroughly as I wish, at least once I figure out how to do so safely.

So... I have read mixed reviews about this SA. When I was evaluating my options, it was one of the models I looked at. Anyone here have one? Used one? What do you like about it? Hate?

And... I won't get it for a jammy git price but what would be a really good deal?  The prices on ebay seem to be crazy, though the "completed deal" prices are more reasonable.

Off to look through the manual in more detail and figure out if it can do anything my current SA cannot, other than look like a really sweet piece of HP TE, I mean.

*Yes I have an SA (the entry level Siglent w/ TG) so I don't really need it but then I don't really need approximately eighty percent of the TE on my shelves, so why should that stop me?
I would wait for another member of the family. Look around for the stuff you might want to look at and judge wheter you can see the 2nd harmonic (at least). Also ensure that you get one loaded with a comprehensive set of options. The faster tuned y/t measurements, for example. If you do not beef this series up significantly, you are better off woth one of the modern portables.

Thanks. After going through the manual, I decided to pass on it. I just won't get it cheaply enough to be happy with the price/performance.  I'd rather spend the money on some functionality I don't have.

specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55705 on: April 14, 2020, 02:49:44 am »
edit bought the pack, the sierra cup, and the other cup in 1978.  still use all 3.  good god man.....picture yourself sitting by the fire sipping black label Jack from a plastic cup.....it should be against the law.

Medium-term lurker here who is now on the other side of the moat Ottawa River from where I grew up near the territory of a certain dwagon...
I have resisted joining into this thread, but test equipment, camping stoves (Whisperlite International is my pick) and now this makes it irresistible.

The detail I took note of is that carabiner attached to that external frame pack.  (I started hiking when it was all switched to internal frame packs.)  One of my other past-times is rock climbing and I have seen quite the range of carabiners, but that is one model that I have not seen before. I especially noted how the flanges were done to attach the gate.  Does it indicate who made it and do you know what the vintage is?

By the way, @beanflying is playing dangerously by dangling those links to the HP-5326B in front of me.  Unfortunately, it's not in my budget at the moment and my US re-shipper buddy is back home in Canada sheltering from the COVID craze.

Lurk no more and join us. Newbies always welcome.  :-+ As you found out we don't limit our discussions to just test equipment. One never knows from day to day what subject matter may bubble up. But we always manage to get ourselves back on subject.

Bean is our resident TE pimp. He's always cruising Ebay and he knows from experience who likes what. When he finds a match he gets out the red cape and waves it in your face. And just like El Toro you find it hard to resist.  :-DD

So, post up what you got and tell us how to came to be a TE addict.  :-+ :-+ 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #55706 on: April 14, 2020, 02:53:03 am »
I got the last bag of parts for the S38 today.  Of course, why buy one of anything when you can buy ten:

I guess I could go into the S38 rehab business.  ;D

First thing is to install an isolation transformer and fuse. As usual, drilling or punching a chassis with a bunch of parts and wires on the other side of the drill can raise one's anxiety level. I had to do both on this one.  Here it is drilled but not dressed (dig the shiny chassis!).

The isolation transformer is the biggest component in the box now...

Not trusting the schematic completely, I traced out the power circuit before rewiring the AC section.  Tomorrow I will recap it. 

EDIT: I am going to move this to a thread of its own, I think...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:02:14 am by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55707 on: April 14, 2020, 03:02:48 am »
I was thinking that transformer looked damn small for that application but then I remembered it's only going to supply B+ and the tube filaments are series string powered directly from the AC line. Hmmm.....make sure those filaments are kept truly isolated from the B+ and the signal paths. There should NO connection between them even thru a capacitor or resistor.   

Edit....you know what...unless you rewire the series string filaments off one side attached to chassis you are STILL going to have a potentially hot chassis. Better check that.  :scared:

This is why I hate AC/DC receivers and other series string equipment like TV's.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:12:16 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #55708 on: April 14, 2020, 05:13:20 am »
Once you get past HRdroids to talk to engineers, you can cut through a lot of that crap.

My boss starts by ignoring the droids. First sorting is him giving us in the team CV's to read. The ones we like are called to one or more interviews, where we simply talk to them and try to find out if we still like them. The team is small and we really depend on being able to work together, which is why there's such a soft focus, but there still will be technical discussion and perhaps some problem solving for the candidate. If both we and the boss approve, the candidate is given an offer, HR is brought in to make things work to procedure, and a 6 month probation period starts. 

It mostly works.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55709 on: April 14, 2020, 07:30:02 am »
Anyone in Germany looking for something to do for the next few months... https://www.ebay.de/itm/283845983298

McBryce.

Its the 'pick up only' that's killing it. The price looks OK, but without a car there's no way. :(
Guess I'd better not even seen this! >:(

And with me, the months would be years or decades. :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55710 on: April 14, 2020, 07:54:42 am »
Once you get past HRdroids to talk to engineers, you can cut through a lot of that crap.

My boss starts by ignoring the droids. First sorting is him giving us in the team CV's to read. The ones we like are called to one or more interviews, where we simply talk to them and try to find out if we still like them. The team is small and we really depend on being able to work together, which is why there's such a soft focus, but there still will be technical discussion and perhaps some problem solving for the candidate. If both we and the boss approve, the candidate is given an offer, HR is brought in to make things work to procedure, and a 6 month probation period starts. 

It mostly works.

I can believe that.

IMNSHO any decent interview is a two-way process. With my "traffic light" example there are no right/wrong answers, merely a set of alternatives that we discuss. During pauses I offer comments and suggestions, which keep the discussion moving illustrate how the company functions.

I dislike interviews with right/wrong questions, especially the "why are manhole covers round" (but I'll tolerate "how many piano tuners are there"). Ditto vague questions such as "tell me something about yourself".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55711 on: April 14, 2020, 08:23:06 am »
a plastic camping cup?  young man......you have some explaining to do.

edit 2  if you look carefully at the area on the flap between the cups you see what looks like a patch.  it is a patch.  that's where a porcupine chewed in during the night to steal a bottle of syrup that my buddy frank recovered a little way up hill from our site the next morning (on the loyalsock trail. probably in about 1986)

That's hilarious about the porcupine. Local wildlife here is somewhat less irritating. Apart from cows. I once woke up to a large herd of cows around the tent. Fortunately a farily dosile variety so I didn't get kicked in as I was packing up. Oh and badgers. Never piss off a badger. I got charged once after disturbing one. I was riding a horse at the time called Bramble which didn't take it too well as it was a mentalist and proceeded to attempt to shed some weight so it could bugger off double-time.

As for cups, I actually have a whole set of insulated metal ones. However my eldest did her DofE award (https://www.dofe.org/ ) a couple of years back and got a plastic one. It weighs half as much as the metal ones do  :-+

I have this Coleman insulated stainless steel mug that I've had since I can't remember when, at least 20 years, probably much longer. It's sufficiently good that I sometimes use it for drinking coffee at home when I want something that'll keep hot for a bit longer than a standard ceramic mug. Best thing about it is that it has a nice thin lip so you don't get that "drinking out of a tin mug" feeling when you're using it. Also indestructible, it's been dropped down almost as many hillsides as me.

That's similar to the ones I've got. Albeit I think mine was a 4 pack from Argos somewhere about 2001. My eldest just delivered some coffee in it so I snagged a quick picture...

The poor thing decided this morning to get up because she's bored and make pancakes as I bought a whole box of genuine American "aunt jemima" pancake mix a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately the pancakes were liquid in the middle  :(. Back to the pan for a couple of minutes and sorted  :phew:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55712 on: April 14, 2020, 08:36:59 am »
I got the last bag of parts for the S38 today.  Of course, why buy one of anything when you can buy ten:

I guess I could go into the S38 rehab business.  ;D

First thing is to install an isolation transformer and fuse. As usual, drilling or punching a chassis with a bunch of parts and wires on the other side of the drill can raise one's anxiety level. I had to do both on this one.  Here it is drilled but not dressed (dig the shiny chassis!).

The isolation transformer is the biggest component in the box now...

Not trusting the schematic completely, I traced out the power circuit before rewiring the AC section.  Tomorrow I will recap it. 

EDIT: I am going to move this to a thread of its own, I think...

Looking good. Let us know where the thread is if you spawn a separate one  :-+

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55713 on: April 14, 2020, 08:38:35 am »
The poor thing decided this morning to get up because she's bored and make pancakes as I bought a whole box of genuine American "aunt jemima" pancake mix a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately the pancakes were liquid in the middle  :(. Back to the pan for a couple of minutes and sorted  :phew:

Pancakes (crepes, not Scottish) are one of the easiest things to make from basic ingredients. For my daughter and my breakfast it was one egg, a cup and a quarter of milk, and 5 heaped tablespoons of flour to make 4 28cm pancakes. Mix egg and half the milk, then add the flour and mix, then the rest of the milk. Pour that cream consistency liquid into pan, turn halfway through. You'll get it wrong the first time, but it will still be edible.

No milk? Just use water. No egg? Just add a bit more milk? No egg nor milk? Just use water. You don't notice the difference when it is filled to overflowing with any/all of tinned fish in tomato, peas, last nights leftovers, lemon+sugar, anything that takes your fancy.

Fast, nutritious, filling, delicious - what more could you want.

Plus it is a great way to get kids to understand that food is something you make (not buy), and that mistakes aren't the end of the world.

I learned the latter as a kid when my mother made me a birthday cake and the middle didn't rise. So she cut out the middle, put a mirror at the bottom, added white icing -  and added a plastic skier going downhill to the lake :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55714 on: April 14, 2020, 08:43:41 am »
I usually make them myself as well (I use same mix as yorkshire puddings - 110g plain flour, 2 eggs, add milk until it's like double cream) but there is no flour available at the moment so this was a substitute as the entire world foods (America) section was untouched.

I have to say the Aunt Jemima pancakes are foul. You can taste the salt and baking soda in the damn things. Very unpleasant after taste that even coffee won't get rid of. Yuck.

That's great with the cake  :-+. I have a loaf of bread here my father cooked unsuccessfully in 1983. It's a family heirloom :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:45:20 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55715 on: April 14, 2020, 08:52:08 am »
I usually make them myself as well (I use same mix as yorkshire puddings - 110g plain flour, 2 eggs, add milk until it's like double cream) but there is no flour available at the moment so this was a substitute as the entire world foods (America) section was untouched.

I have to say the Aunt Jemima pancakes are foul. You can taste the salt and baking soda in the damn things. Very unpleasant after taste that even coffee won't get rid of. Yuck.

That's great with the cake  :-+. I have a loaf of bread here my father cooked unsuccessfully in 1983. It's a family heirloom :)

Now you know why it was untouched. I wouldn't touch it either.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55716 on: April 14, 2020, 09:08:59 am »

I still have some flour left over from brexit prepping. Some is out of date, but I expect it will be OK; heat solves many problems :)

There's a remarkably pragmatic article from Which? about food safety when "out of date" https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/coronavirus-is-it-ever-safe-to-keep-foods-after-their-best-before-and-use-by-dates/

Probably an imitation of the Scottish pancakes you tend to find in US/Canadian hotels. OK for maple syrup, useless for filling.

Unfortunately it was far too early for us to have been able to take a photo; film was reserved for holidays. Or perhaps fortunately, since I'm sure it is better in my mind's eye.

Your bread sound like it will end up like the WW1 biscuits that were posted back to family, with a stamp but without an envelope.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55717 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:58 am »

I still have some flour left over from brexit prepping. Some is out of date, but I expect it will be OK; heat solves many problems :)

There's a remarkably pragmatic article from Which? about food safety when "out of date" https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/coronavirus-is-it-ever-safe-to-keep-foods-after-their-best-before-and-use-by-dates/

Providing your flour isn't crawling with Weevils generally it is ok. Only ever had them once in some well out of date Wholemeal flour. Otherwise you are generally cooking for long enough and hot enough to fix very unlikely other issues.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55718 on: April 14, 2020, 09:39:19 am »
Tonights Pommie movie marathon presents new ways to 'fix' Management and HR Droids >:D Then Later The Long Good Friday.

969382-0

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55719 on: April 14, 2020, 10:18:19 am »
a plastic camping cup?  young man......you have some explaining to do.

edit 2  if you look carefully at the area on the flap between the cups you see what looks like a patch.  it is a patch.  that's where a porcupine chewed in during the night to steal a bottle of syrup that my buddy frank recovered a little way up hill from our site the next morning (on the loyalsock trail. probably in about 1986)

That's hilarious about the porcupine. Local wildlife here is somewhat less irritating. Apart from cows. I once woke up to a large herd of cows around the tent. Fortunately a farily dosile variety so I didn't get kicked in as I was packing up. Oh and badgers. Never piss off a badger. I got charged once after disturbing one. I was riding a horse at the time called Bramble which didn't take it too well as it was a mentalist and proceeded to attempt to shed some weight so it could bugger off double-time.

As for cups, I actually have a whole set of insulated metal ones. However my eldest did her DofE award (https://www.dofe.org/ ) a couple of years back and got a plastic one. It weighs half as much as the metal ones do  :-+

I have this Coleman insulated stainless steel mug that I've had since I can't remember when, at least 20 years, probably much longer. It's sufficiently good that I sometimes use it for drinking coffee at home when I want something that'll keep hot for a bit longer than a standard ceramic mug. Best thing about it is that it has a nice thin lip so you don't get that "drinking out of a tin mug" feeling when you're using it. Also indestructible, it's been dropped down almost as many hillsides as me.

That's similar to the ones I've got. Albeit I think mine was a 4 pack from Argos somewhere about 2001. My eldest just delivered some coffee in it so I snagged a quick picture...

LMAO, well you clearly survived the badger charge, did you manage to find Bramble after all of that?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55720 on: April 14, 2020, 10:25:08 am »
Fucker was still attached to me fortunately just massively spooked. That horse was a dangerous bastard. Bitey, kicked you when it could. They put me on it because I was heavier and wore it out quicker so it was more docile  :-DD

Edit: actually I miss the thing. Was euthanised in 1998 after getting tangled up in some fence wire some pikey scum had dumped off in the field. Haven't ridden a horse since. I'd probably break it  :-DD

Just bought another monitor and stand and a dock for the T470...  :palm:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:32:17 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55721 on: April 14, 2020, 10:38:04 am »
Fucker was still attached to me fortunately just massively spooked. That horse was a dangerous bastard. Bitey, kicked you when it could. They put me on it because I was heavier and wore it out quicker so it was more docile  :-DD

I grew up in Epsom (Derby, lots of racehorse stables), so I'm well used to seeing horses leap 2m sideways because they saw a beetle. I've also been at close quarters when a horse lifted its hind legs and kicked out - fortunately the target was another horse's hind quarters.

I took my daughter for a husky dog sledge ride on a frozen lake in Norway. When we got there I didn't want to go anywhere near the snarling fighting buggers. But after the run, they were docile pussycats.

Other point from that holiday was that we brought home some frozen reindeer. The next school day somebody at school lunch asked her what was in the sandwiches and, upon hearing, literally turned green :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:48:52 am by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #55722 on: April 14, 2020, 10:59:21 am »
Re Coffee mugs, I had to bring up an HP Classic, the fundamental equations and constants, F to C conversion, a angle guage, a crude clock and it holds coffee. There still are a few out there - the logo in my mind puts in 70s or 80s.
When backpacking I used a single layer stainless steel mug, which also did duty as a small cooking pot, weight and durability rules. I tended to drink tea when backpacking as it is lighter to carry and I refuse to drink instant coffee.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, URI, nixiefreqq

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55723 on: April 14, 2020, 11:09:33 am »
This is my coffee cup. Helps me through the whole day.  ;D  :palm:

850ml volume.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132829146268

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, nixiefreqq

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55724 on: April 14, 2020, 11:17:13 am »

never was a rock climber.  don't know anything about their gear.  seems like frank gave me the beaner to hang some crap to my frame that would not fit inside his fancy new internal frame pack.  (the beaner has been clipped there ever since and does come in handy sometimes).

hey bd.........half the weight is no excuse for using a plastic cup.  you have a proper cup.  man up and carry it.

saw a kid carrying a HUGE pack up a barrier island in NC once.  had everything strapped to it but a portable toilet.  he was proud of the fact that it weighed in at 97lbs.  saw him later dragging it across the sand with a rope (looked like a mule pulling a plow).  and his girlfriend was doing something similar with a cooler full of beer.  wanted to make fun of them......but.....we were about 6 miles from a road........and they had COLD BEER.

free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf