Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14810507 times)

K0ELB and 173 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55900 on: April 16, 2020, 10:06:22 am »
With virgin there is no cabinet in the street, all their gear is in manholes so you get FTTP without any of the drawbacks, maybe you should educate them and then you can get speeds like mine.  :popcorn:

You've saved me the trouble of taking a photo of the local boxes, where the lower half has been corroded away by dogs peeing on them!

EDIT: here's a google screendump, on the way to the local park, where there is now a PSPO saying dogs must be on a lead (or a private company can fine you).

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:21:27 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55901 on: April 16, 2020, 10:07:00 am »
It wasn't dogs. "piss in an open virgin box after the pub" is a national sport  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55902 on: April 16, 2020, 10:36:53 am »
I just work with the voices inside peoples heads >:D

For most people who do it, hanging around and dealing with the voices in people's heads would be a job, like psychiatric nurse or minister of religion. For Bean it's a hobby.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55903 on: April 16, 2020, 10:50:08 am »
About appropriate, I'd say. The only expensive part is the 8x or 16x RS232 card, should you need it, with 68-pin SCSI connectors.

I've got one of the (original Cisco) unobtainium cables for these, but not one of the cards (and so many old 2600s and 3600s that I've forgotten exactly how many).

@bd139 If you want a 2600 for the cost of shipping, it's yours. Just need to figure out how to get it to you. I've got a bunch of stuff stacked up that I've been meaning to unload.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55904 on: April 16, 2020, 10:55:39 am »
With virgin there is no cabinet in the street, all their gear is in manholes so you get FTTP without any of the drawbacks, maybe you should educate them and then you can get speeds like mine.  :popcorn:

:popcorn:

Also traffic management, terrible terrible hardware and service.

Edit: updated

So you reported him again then?

Is that a virgin cabinet then? I certainly don't have any of them in my street, we have about 6 manholes in the footpath and all of their gear is installed in those. They had to replace a node in our street a few years ago and it was done in the manhole across the street to me.

EDIT:
If you posted this comment on his YT channel, you will not be surprised to learn that he has deleted it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:14:42 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #55905 on: April 16, 2020, 11:08:16 am »

For most people who do it, hanging around and dealing with the voices in people's heads would be a job, like psychiatric nurse or minister of religion. For Bean it's a hobby.

In Italy they reported a spike of calls to psychiatric doctors due to the COVID home isolation.
The italian psychiatric associations responded: "It is normal to talk with walls, plants and animals in this situations. Please contact us only if they respond you back".
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55906 on: April 16, 2020, 11:32:00 am »
About appropriate, I'd say. The only expensive part is the 8x or 16x RS232 card, should you need it, with 68-pin SCSI connectors.

I've got one of the (original Cisco) unobtainium cables for these, but not one of the cards (and so many old 2600s and 3600s that I've forgotten exactly how many).

@bd139 If you want a 2600 for the cost of shipping, it's yours. Just need to figure out how to get it to you. I've got a bunch of stuff stacked up that I've been meaning to unload.

Thanks for the offer but will have to decline. I just got offered a couple of 2901's from work with the serial+GbE EHWIC cards and serial cables that were running the old EDI crap we had to run that got turned off a couple of years ago. Will sneak into the office and pick them up along with some other bits next week. I declined the hayes can models.

Is that a virgin cabinet then? I certainly don't have any of them in my street, we have about 6 manholes in the footpath and all of their gear is installed in those. They had to replace a node in our street a few years ago and it was done in the manhole across the street to me.

EDIT:
If you posted this comment on his YT channel, you will not be surprised to learn that he has deleted it.

Yep reported.

That is a virgin cabinet. One of the newer ones. It's only former NTL estate where they put it under the ground I think.

Bet mine was deleted too  :-DD. Will keep reposting it. YT has an API i can call  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55907 on: April 16, 2020, 11:43:10 am »

Thanks for the offer but will have to decline. I just got offered a couple of 2901's from work with the serial+GbE EHWIC cards and serial cables that were running the old EDI crap we had to run that got turned off a couple of years ago. Will sneak into the office and pick them up along with some other bits next week. I declined the hayes can models.

EDIT:

Yep reported.

That is a virgin cabinet. One of the newer ones. It's only former NTL estate where they put it under the ground I think.

Bet mine was deleted too  :-DD. Will keep reposting it. YT has an API i can call  :-DD
I also have reported his site to the the authorities and told them that he has 240 videos all about the same topic and that 2 of them blaming the Grenfell Tower fire on 5G and how its been covered up because he say it had a 5G station on its roof. Even states in one of them, about the aluminium cladding being bombarded with microwave energy from the 5G transmitter causing it to catch fire. Suggesting that people should try some aluminium foil in a microwave and see what happens  :palm: :palm: He needs stopping.

EDIT:
You could be right about the Virgin network in street cabinets, I just remembered that our street was cabled for Telewest and when they went bust, Virgin brought them up, so it isn't a Virgin installation after all, sorry  :o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:02:27 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #55908 on: April 16, 2020, 11:58:01 am »
There's a couple of ones with the RS232 cards in by the looks. Doing some research now. Looking at under £50 for a terminal server. Remember paying 5x that for the sodding switch module back in the day

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293471200714 (8 port serial)

Looks like the synchronous ports. Cabling for those is either stupidly expensive or if you're lucky and in the right spot they throw them after you.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55909 on: April 16, 2020, 12:18:13 pm »
There's a couple of ones with the RS232 cards in by the looks. Doing some research now. Looking at under £50 for a terminal server. Remember paying 5x that for the sodding switch module back in the day

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293471200714 (8 port serial)

Looks like the synchronous ports. Cabling for those is either stupidly expensive or if you're lucky and in the right spot they throw them after you.

That particular one is X.21 ports - straightforward cabling for those, standard D types. It's the later compact sync ports where Cisco used a proprietary/obscure subminiature connector to fit cables onto a WIC where you pray you get the cables for free.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55910 on: April 16, 2020, 12:19:26 pm »
The Chinese have solved that problem for around a tenner I think.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #55911 on: April 16, 2020, 12:37:18 pm »
The Chinese have solved that problem for around a tenner I think.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tenner

now I know.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55912 on: April 16, 2020, 12:48:12 pm »
Look up monkey, ton, pony, bullseye, bluey, squid, wedge, quid as well :)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55913 on: April 16, 2020, 01:08:21 pm »

Your comment is gone. Can I add the image link of your comment in a comment of mine?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55914 on: April 16, 2020, 01:14:53 pm »
yeah knock yourself out.

I'm talking to a friend who works at google as well at the moment. He's trying to work out who to escalate it to.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55915 on: April 16, 2020, 01:19:09 pm »
Look up monkey, ton, pony, bullseye, bluey, squid, wedge, quid as well :)

Bucks, greenbacks, dough, smackers, simoleons, fin ($5), sawbuck ($10), Ben Franklin ($100)  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55916 on: April 16, 2020, 01:22:41 pm »
yeah knock yourself out.

I'm talking to a friend who works at google as well at the moment. He's trying to work out who to escalate it to.

Done.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55917 on: April 16, 2020, 01:27:00 pm »
Pet hates, No. 1 in a list of 7000:

Adjusting coaxial cable strippers.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55918 on: April 16, 2020, 01:29:44 pm »
yeah knock yourself out.

Done.

Nice one  :-+

(Attachment Link)

I never found any of those that ever worked. I used to pull a lot of 10base2 years ago and ended up just doing it by hand with a stanley knife  :palm:

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55919 on: April 16, 2020, 01:36:54 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I never found any of those that ever worked. I used to pull a lot of 10base2 years ago and ended up just doing it by hand with a stanley knife  :palm:

OTOH, that book is fine  :D
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55920 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:20 pm »
Some cunt has decided that cutting tiles, bricks or concrete all day is the best thing to do when everyone is stuck at home. There's probably up to a hundred or so homes enjoying his racket. :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55921 on: April 16, 2020, 01:46:51 pm »
Some cunt has decided that cutting tiles, bricks or concrete all day is the best thing to do when everyone is stuck at home. There's probably up to a hundred or so homes enjoying his racket. :palm:
OK, please explain?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55922 on: April 16, 2020, 01:49:00 pm »
OK, please explain?
I'm not sure what I could explain?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55923 on: April 16, 2020, 01:50:48 pm »
It wasn't dogs. "piss in an open virgin box after the pub" is a national sport  :-DD

"Only mad dogs & Englishmen..."    ;)

What is the difference between hearing voices that aren't there and not hearing voices that are...?

One is just the usual side effect of growing older, while the other is politics. :palm:

In Italy they reported a spike of calls to psychiatric doctors due to the COVID home isolation.
The italian psychiatric associations responded: "It is normal to talk with walls, plants and animals in this situations. Please contact us only if they respond you back".

I talk to myself all the time; sometimes you just need a correct answer.  :-+

mnem
"It's fine to talk to yourself; as long as you don't get into arguments you'll be fine." ~mom
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55924 on: April 16, 2020, 02:01:37 pm »
OK, please explain?
I'm not sure what I could explain?
Maybe I missed something then, but you made a statement about "some cunt has decided that cutting tiles, bricks or concrete all day is the best thing to do when everyone is stuck at home. There's probably up to a hundred or so homes enjoying his racket."

I was looking for an attachment or something to do with the statement?
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf