Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15250898 times)

nfmax, duckduck, Nanitamuscen and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57075 on: April 27, 2020, 05:01:02 pm »
If anybody out there is, now or at any time in the future, designing something that needs an auxiliary battery "on board", please, please, please, consider relocating it to a little plastic container off the board and connecting to it with a little plug and socket. Yes, it'll add 50¢ to your BOM, but it will save your customers $$$ or €€€ in the long run when the battery eventually craps out. If you're feeling really considerate you could make that container leak proof, but at least put it at the bottom of the case (gravity wise).
Similar mechanical decoupling is done in many laptops by having the power receptacle as a separate unit instead of soldering it on the PCB. This allows both swapping out a defective port and ensures things don't break too quickly at the simian interface. It seems the advent of glued together computers and USB C charging is changing that, though.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57076 on: April 27, 2020, 05:04:20 pm »
CPAP machine anyone?

My neighbor got a new CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine and the supplier said to throw this one away. He asked me if I wanted to play around with the old one (he knows me pretty well). Of course I do. It's a ResMed unit and the PCB says Sydney, Australia.

So what it does is give you positive air pressure in your airway all night. It has a control unit which has an SD card. The SD card appeared to have daily files on it giving the prescriber the data on the performance. In the control unit is a blower. The left side connects to the right side which has a water reservoir for humidity control. Then the air comes out a long tube to your mask.

The main unit has a menu system for some simple user settings, but there is no way to control the air pressure in the menu. He said they can do it in the office if needed after a sleep study. There is an interface connector on the back but not one I recognize. I presume that is where they connect an external computer or proprietary unit to set it up.

Some of the parts used, other than the usual suspects such as voltage regulators and the like -

stm32f103zgt6
ARM® Cortex®-M3 STM32F1 Microcontroller IC 32-Bit 72MHz 1MB (1M x 8) FLASH

Sensiron sdp711-01 differential pressure sensor

GE NPA-C02035 Surface-Mount Pressure Sensor

On the top side of the PCB are a whole lot of gold pads, perhaps for testing? In the water reservoir unit is a humidity sensor that sends it's data back through the interconnect between units.

Right now it blows a steady stream of air and doesn't require the humidity unit to run. Might be useful for a project someday.  :-//

Surely, that is essentially a ventilator? It would be my guess that those gold pads would for an automatic test machine to test the board after it was populated and soldered to see if it needed to go for reworking or not?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57077 on: April 27, 2020, 05:11:38 pm »
probably. Or jtag access to program in circuit.

In other news I just brought some stuff upstairs that had been sitting in my garage since the last Reichelt trip which has been quite a while :(

a 0.8l ultrasonic and a USB microscope. While I don't trust that microscope a bit the price was hard to beat. The Ultrasonic is an Emmi that I wanted to use for cleaning small pcbs.
If there is interest I can certainly bring photos.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57078 on: April 27, 2020, 05:15:01 pm »
OK, I'm out of here until May at the earliest.

:(

:(

I got my big boy pants on. As well as my walking shoes. And I'm voting with them.  |O

:(  :(  :(

I also would prefer more on topic postings and less (but not none) pub talk..   :)
Be kind to each other, please!
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57079 on: April 27, 2020, 05:43:19 pm »

In other news I just brought some stuff upstairs that had been sitting in my garage since the last Reichelt trip which has been quite a while :(

a 0.8l ultrasonic and a USB microscope. While I don't trust that microscope a bit the price was hard to beat. The Ultrasonic is an Emmi that I wanted to use for cleaning small pcbs.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:47:27 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #57080 on: April 27, 2020, 06:31:17 pm »

Saskia, do you really need to ask that??   :P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57081 on: April 27, 2020, 06:33:35 pm »
LOL! Beat me to it!  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57082 on: April 27, 2020, 06:52:35 pm »
especially now, when we are on topic ?
right. Already working on it.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57083 on: April 27, 2020, 06:54:08 pm »
I happy to share the same illness

I mainly everything for the hp 331a

979540-0

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57084 on: April 27, 2020, 07:04:08 pm »
You know it is a good day, when it's Mouser delivery day.  ;D

Parts for my 10MHz distribution amplifier for the Efratom and
the parts for the LED bargraph thingie.

979546-0
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57085 on: April 27, 2020, 07:11:52 pm »

Yes, I had my Mouser day last month. It is a good day. Whenever it happens.

Do you have a design for the DA to share? I've got Needs.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #57086 on: April 27, 2020, 07:12:49 pm »
corrosion here, corrosion there, corrosion everywhere ...

Oh well, the manufacturer of this device took care of a proper auto destruct.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57087 on: April 27, 2020, 07:18:22 pm »
Ok, here's the Microscope. Branded Reflecta DigiMicroscope Flex, from the Reichelt returns bench. Price listed (as returns) 59€.

Small plastic gizmo with a flexible suction stand that attaches to a plastic board. Some foto capture software included. Pseudo magnification/zoom gizmo, lighting of the work area is hmmmmmmm.

results from hmm to unusable.
See for yourself.

Verdict:
This has to go. It will not stay here.

I will keep my trinocular amscope on da big booooom.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57088 on: April 27, 2020, 07:18:40 pm »
From the auction I mentioned....

A BWD 530A single channel oscilloscope?

Oh, OK......

A front panel which only a possum could love!

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57089 on: April 27, 2020, 07:21:25 pm »
Small tiny ultrasonic cleaner. NIB. From the returns bench. Sturdy, looks nice, for smaller projects that do not require the big one (the 10l gizmo is sitting here, as well ...)

This one may stay.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57090 on: April 27, 2020, 07:24:38 pm »
Small tiny ultrasonic cleaner. NIB. From the returns bench. Sturdy, looks nice, for smaller projects that do not require the big one (the 10l gizmo is sitting here, as well ...)

This one may stay.
Also good for brass cases.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #57091 on: April 27, 2020, 07:25:34 pm »
CPAP machine anyone?

My neighbor got a new CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine and the supplier said to throw this one away. He asked me if I wanted to play around with the old one (he knows me pretty well). Of course I do. It's a ResMed unit and the PCB says Sydney, Australia.

So what it does is give you positive air pressure in your airway all night. It has a control unit which has an SD card. The SD card appeared to have daily files on it giving the prescriber the data on the performance. In the control unit is a blower. The left side connects to the right side which has a water reservoir for humidity control. Then the air comes out a long tube to your mask.

The main unit has a menu system for some simple user settings, but there is no way to control the air pressure in the menu. He said they can do it in the office if needed after a sleep study. There is an interface connector on the back but not one I recognize. I presume that is where they connect an external computer or proprietary unit to set it up.

Some of the parts used, other than the usual suspects such as voltage regulators and the like -

stm32f103zgt6
ARM® Cortex®-M3 STM32F1 Microcontroller IC 32-Bit 72MHz 1MB (1M x 8) FLASH

Sensiron sdp711-01 differential pressure sensor

GE NPA-C02035 Surface-Mount Pressure Sensor

On the top side of the PCB are a whole lot of gold pads, perhaps for testing? In the water reservoir unit is a humidity sensor that sends it's data back through the interconnect between units.

Right now it blows a steady stream of air and doesn't require the humidity unit to run. Might be useful for a project someday.  :-//

Surely, that is essentially a ventilator? It would be my guess that those gold pads would for an automatic test machine to test the board after it was populated and soldered to see if it needed to go for reworking or not?

A number of projects for turning CPAP machines into ventilators are in various stages of development. A couple of challenges: CPAP machines are expensive as a starting point unless the machines are donated, which raises the second problem: how do you vet a donated machine to be sure it is a good starting base for a ventilator?

The alternatives, like the MIT bag-to-ventilator project seem to be better solutions: cheaper, easier to test, easier to use, etc.  These are fascinating, and workable, alternatives that say a lot about the design, manufacturing, and marketing of medical devices.

But there's a more basic problem, as we have seen in the serological testing area. When the FDA makes the testing and approval cycle irrelevant grifters and frauds flood the market with shit that doesn't work. That's more than a "somebody got taken" monetary issue when the device or test in question may be a contributing cause to a serious illness or death rather than a preventative. That means, along with figuring out how to build inexpensive, easy to produce medical equipment, we have to figure out what sort of testing and certification is required so it doesn't kill a bunch of people.

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #57092 on: April 27, 2020, 07:26:50 pm »

Mouser (or Digi Key) day is always good all around except for my credit card.  IT is not fond of Mouser or DK or eBuy days... 

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #57093 on: April 27, 2020, 07:33:44 pm »

This one may stay.

It's so cute!!  If you feed it, will it get bigger?

I was using mine over the weekend to clean some resin prints.  The beakers I'd ordered from Amazon had not yet arrived, so I put my cleaner into some plastic containers that had previously held nuts or chocolate raisins or the like.  Inside of ten minutes of operation, they had holes blown in them, as I discovered when I lifted them out of the water bath and they looked like a cartoon character that had just been machine gunned, shrugged it off, and then taken a drink of water.   :-DD

Of course the beakers showed up today, not that I'm done with it for now...   |O

-Pat

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57094 on: April 27, 2020, 07:37:07 pm »

Yes, sure. It's based on this Thread in the eevblog forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/made-a-nice-_home_-for-my-efratom-lpro-101/

A bit hard to find is this H11102NL signal transformer. I looked at Mouser and decided to use this one:
Pulse H6080FNL
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57095 on: April 27, 2020, 07:39:36 pm »
@Pat having a small one hath its advantages :)
I don't really NEED to get out the 10l ultrasonic when cleaning coils, the small one will do just fine.

I can separate cleaning cycles and cleaning solutions.
The small one can clean some brass casings whereas the big one cleans some stainless steel.
Or PCBs, or wiring harness, ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57096 on: April 27, 2020, 07:41:48 pm »
CPAP machine anyone?
(SNIP)

A number of projects for turning CPAP machines into ventilators are in various stages of development. A couple of challenges: CPAP machines are expensive as a starting point unless the machines are donated, which raises the second problem: how do you vet a donated machine to be sure it is a good starting base for a ventilator?

The alternatives, like the MIT bag-to-ventilator project seem to be better solutions: cheaper, easier to test, easier to use, etc.  These are fascinating, and workable, alternatives that say a lot about the design, manufacturing, and marketing of medical devices.

But there's a more basic problem, as we have seen in the serological testing area. When the FDA makes the testing and approval cycle irrelevant grifters and frauds flood the market with shit that doesn't work. That's more than a "somebody got taken" monetary issue when the device or test in question may be a contributing cause to a serious illness or death rather than a preventative. That means, along with figuring out how to build inexpensive, easy to produce medical equipment, we have to figure out what sort of testing and certification is required so it doesn't kill a bunch of people.

Precisely; especially since this exact sort of grift/fraud in the last such approval cycle is the reason the US (and Canada, indirectly) has a nationwide shortage of ventilators. A mass purchase was proposed, authorized, designed, & paid for during the Obama Administration. Then the bid winner was bought out by a larger competitor expressly to cannibalize that sale. Of course, those in the regi... err, administration which followed felt that our lack of a stockpile of lifesaving ventilators was not a priority... and the rest is history; which we are living through.
:palm:

mnem
"May you live in interesting times." ~Ancient Chinese curse
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:33:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57097 on: April 27, 2020, 07:44:02 pm »
@neomys sapiens checking if I can get the power supply you pointed out for a bargain.
And rearranging some computing stuff.
Did you look at the Heinzinger for which I had included an link earlier (Rosenkranz)? I find that generator knob very interesting. Also, I have to enquire whether it is remote controllable together with U/I. That would mean you get some PWM for free.

And I hope that the remark about computers is not aiming at me having noted a deficiency there. Because me and computers, that is a topic in itself. I still operate a W7 laptop as my current main system, but it will not cope properly with W10. When I looked what I should do next, I found that all newer Lenovo after my T60 are those blasted 16:10 things. It does not help me when working with documents, nor drawing nor anything else. And a new stationary PC? Those that are reliable and which I would like to get are industrial machines and they are either in the price range of a major aquisition or they have the same problem with W7. So I am still totally undecided what to do. And all that just that people can get visuals of a soricomorph in it's lab? Nah. Also I'm not keen to sanitize my home office just for that.
Does that Discord stuff work with audio only too - akin to Skype for Business?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57098 on: April 27, 2020, 07:53:37 pm »
contact me via PN if you want something decent with W7. I am using W7 myself as I get into an uncontrollable rage when I have to use W10. Discord works fine with W7 and Audio.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #57099 on: April 27, 2020, 07:58:09 pm »
@Pat having a small one hath its advantages :)
I don't really NEED to get out the 10l ultrasonic when cleaning coils, the small one will do just fine.

I can separate cleaning cycles and cleaning solutions.
The small one can clean some brass casings whereas the big one cleans some stainless steel.
Or PCBs, or wiring harness, ...

Agreed - at some point I need to look for a small one.  I currently have a 1.5 gallon (~3.8l) unit, and it's kind of a PITA to set up for small things so it doesn't get used as often as it should.

-Pat

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf