Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550959 times)

jazzmann, cf4044 and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #60000 on: June 01, 2020, 06:58:17 pm »
So I can add to my knowledge of German humour. I knew about schadenfreude, now I've seen Drachenlecke
  :wtf:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60001 on: June 01, 2020, 07:00:35 pm »
Is anyone familiar with select-test.com?  They have a couple of bench multimeters listed on fleabay that would fit in my needs category.
They look rough cosmetically, so I expect a low ball offer would be in order.  Supposedly they are working.  Part of the interest is that I could almost go in person, rather than getting them shipped.
Any advice/coaching as I embark on used TEA?  My past acquisitions have been from very reliable sources, so this is new territory for me.

HP 3468B:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGILENT-HP-3468B-5-5-DIGIT-BENCH-MULTIMETER-DMM-LOOK-REF-995G/202981521137?hash=item2f42a436f1:g:y4oAAOSwhIRerrQc

HP 3478A:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGILENT-HP-3478A-5-DIGIT-2-4-WIRE-BENCHTOP-MULTIMETER-LOOK-REF-257G/202982992412?epid=2254324634&hash=item2f42baaa1c:g:oBYAAOSwR6lesTaX

I need to move somewhat quickly.  SWMBO's brother is getting rid of an above-ground pool to get a spa instead.  We are getting the pool for free, but budgets are going to tighten up once SWMBO realizes installation is going to cost in the $1000CAD ballpark.  It is certainly not free considering the sweat I put in to disassemble it and load it into a trailer...

That 3478A would def be high on my list; mine is a joy to use and that one comes with GPIB and 30-day warranty. Yeah, it's a bit ugly... but nothing a little TLC and some printed plastic wouldn't make right nice in half a jiffy.  :-+

Don't forget to hunt up some decent UNSHROUDED 4mm plug test leads; those are a bit on the scarce side anymore.

[EDIT] You might want to look into this [FLUKE] 45 they have if it'll serve your needs; a bit newer, VFD looks half-decent, dual-display and RS-232: eBay auction: #202983024562

mnem
 :-/O
When it comes to leads, you can get normal shrouded ones and just trim the shroud off with a decent craft knife, job done.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #60002 on: June 01, 2020, 07:04:21 pm »
When it comes to leads, you can get normal shrouded ones and just trim the shroud off with a decent craft knife, job done.

But then you can only use them in unshrouded sockets. Since good quality retracting sheath leads are only £15-25 depending on brand (Pomona and Probe Master are the two I can think of, off the top of my head), why bother?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60003 on: June 01, 2020, 07:10:22 pm »
Med, you want to upgrade your HeathKit oscilloscope calibrator ?  >:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114244159119?ViewI

Ahem.  :-DD

Ahh my mistake I was sure you had the IG-4505.
No, that would be me  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #60004 on: June 01, 2020, 07:15:33 pm »
June TEA is started:

Just won it:

for 107 eu shipped.

meh....
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, syau

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60005 on: June 01, 2020, 07:30:42 pm »

But then you can only use them in unshrouded sockets. Since good quality retracting sheath leads are only £15-25 depending on brand (Pomona and Probe Master are the two I can think of, off the top of my head), why bother?
No, you can still use them in both shrouded and unshrouded safely. I have some unshrouded ones that are perfectly happy when used in my Flukes, 8840A and 8842A, Black Star 4503 and my hand held Flukes and other meters or in the unshrouded 7150's, 3468A and the 1905A and I don't have any exposed plug pins. ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #60006 on: June 01, 2020, 07:33:32 pm »
The TEA in tomorrow's Ramco auction already has some interesting bid prices...

A Fluke 85 multimeter for £85+uplift
Several used Isotech 100MHz scopes for £55+uplift

I wonder where they will end up?!

Quite a few Racal Dana 1998 counters around £30, HP34401 ("Archived") for £150. And shitloads of crap. :scared:

Guess I should be happy we don't have something like that in Germany. At least I'm not aware of it.

Wonder what that is about..

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60007 on: June 01, 2020, 08:04:06 pm »
The TEA in tomorrow's Ramco auction already has some interesting bid prices...

A Fluke 85 multimeter for £85+uplift
Several used Isotech 100MHz scopes for £55+uplift

I wonder where they will end up?!

Quite a few Racal Dana 1998 counters around £30, HP34401 ("Archived") for £150. And shitloads of crap. :scared:

Guess I should be happy we don't have something like that in Germany. At least I'm not aware of it.
https://www.vebeg.de/web/de/start/index.htm

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60008 on: June 01, 2020, 08:07:00 pm »
An update on the mini-tracer: I got the circuit out. Looks baaad.
Unfortunately, the camera that was at hand won't focus on it. Will try another tomorrow.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #60009 on: June 01, 2020, 08:38:35 pm »
Unfortunately, the camera that was at hand won't focus on it. Will try another tomorrow.

Yikes. It looks bad out of focus, it must really look bad IRL.   :o
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #60010 on: June 01, 2020, 08:40:02 pm »
But what if happens something like this?   

That's cousin Imogene. She lost her sense of taste to a Synesthesia Bomb in the Condiment Wars; hasn't been right since. med would definitely get along with her.  :-DD

mnem
"Tastes like frustration and 10.00002MHz."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:48:59 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60011 on: June 01, 2020, 08:44:59 pm »
Never going to sleep again after seeing that  :-DD
Either am I. What has been seen cannot be unseen.  :o :o :palm: :-DD

I could always give her your address...  >:D

So I can add to my knowledge of German humour. I knew about schadenfreude, now I've seen Drachenlecke   :wtf:

No comment.  >:D

mnem
};=)~~~~<
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:48:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60012 on: June 01, 2020, 08:57:03 pm »
That 3478A would def be high on my list; mine is a joy to use and that one comes with GPIB and 30-day warranty. Yeah, it's a bit ugly... but nothing a little TLC and some printed plastic wouldn't make right nice in half a jiffy.  :-+

Don't forget to hunt up some decent UNSHROUDED 4mm plug test leads; those are a bit on the scarce side anymore.

[EDIT] You might want to look into this [FLUKE] 45 they have if it'll serve your needs; a bit newer, VFD looks half-decent, dual-display and RS-232: eBay auction: #202983024562

mnem
 :-/O

Two problems with that:
1) The shroud is part of the dielectric rating of the plug. You decrease the live safety factor to that of a ~4mm air gap vs that of a ~4mm air gap PLUS the dielectric of the boot.

2) When you do that with the 3478A, you wind up fuckerizing a perfectly good set of leads for no good reason, as they won't make proper contact with the deep jacks on the 3478A and you still wind up needing to shop for a proper set of leads for it. |O

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60013 on: June 01, 2020, 09:35:29 pm »
Quote from: mnementh
Quick heads-Up for all you Futtinna'ed Interplanetary FPS Fans: Borderlands 2 Bundle now FREE via Epic Games: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/bundles/borderlands-the-handsome-collection

mnem
Yeah I'm not taking that for free  :-DD

In all honesty, it's been so long I don't even remember anymore. I feel that way about most FPS games; actually.  :-//

mnem

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60014 on: June 01, 2020, 11:49:54 pm »

Increase the ambient lighting will greatly improve the focusing.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60015 on: June 01, 2020, 11:54:46 pm »
And here is the adjustment pattern of the TVC501. During the next days I will try a oscillator measurement, but so far it looks fine.
But my bad karma seems to persist. First, I tried to save a screenshot to the FDD on the TDS644. Got 'internal storage error'. When I tried to format it, more of the same, then the screen did go dark.At least it came back after a reboot. But that seems like a major feature failure on that scope.
Well, this WILL accellerate the scope question as discussed last saturday.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #60016 on: June 02, 2020, 05:52:16 am »
Uphand.
 I need to rest my forearm to get a smoother controlled movement, I used oxy-acet as a younger lad - tig is a bit different from that.
I haven't got the foot pedal going yet, I am flat out keeping the handpiece and filler rod under control, I think the pedal will be helpful in the long run.
Certainly being comfortable and relaxed is the key to most welding and sometimes a leather gauntlet on the handpiece hand allows the lower arm to be rested against the workpiece without the fear of the hots !

Pedals are great for getting up to heat but you want their zero position to still supply enough grunt so you can get off it when you get going. Otherwise you're doing the hand foot dance which impacts on being properly relaxed.
Setting the pedal is a bit fiddly initially but with some experience you can get the zero 'extra' setting close most times.
Have fun !
Thanks for those tips, I am figuring it will take me a while to get just the hands/brain sorted, it is hard not to pull away to 'cool things off' like you can with oxy-acet.
👍
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #60017 on: June 02, 2020, 06:09:32 am »

Agreed. I got Probe Master probes with retracting sheath leads. Works great on a variety of DMMs with different types of jacks: HP 3456A, 3469A, 3478A, 34401A, 34410A; Fluke 8100A; Keithley 196, 2700. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #60018 on: June 02, 2020, 06:25:55 am »
No TEA for me today but I had a fairly expensive Ruida 6445G Laser controller and front panel arrive. Under a week from China so  :-+ and shove that up your Clacker UPS - still waiting for PCB's for 4 weeks from the USA :--

And what did I do with but TAKE IT APART before even putting power to it. :-DD

Lots of Quality goodies under the hood and looks well laid out and sensible in design. Only here if it interests some and those it doesn't please move on  ;)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:28:16 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60019 on: June 02, 2020, 10:45:12 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]

just poked my nose in to see what was goin' on.

YIKES!!!

you guys sailed too far and have fallen over the edge!

i am outta' here.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60020 on: June 02, 2020, 10:50:53 am »
Well. so far I can't complain about the service from Hermes, certainly in terms of speed nor keeping me updated. The Avo Model 8 Mk5, I purchased last Friday, was taken to their collection shop in Wellington on Saturday and the tracking just keeps on being updated and the latest is that it will be with me this evening. Only 2 questions remain at this point, 1 did the seller securely package this up to survive the journey, he assures me that he did. Second, will Hermes manage to deliver it to in one piece, that being said, our delivery driver is very diligent and so has always succeeded in doing that, and she seems to be a quite nice person who takes a pride in her job  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60021 on: June 02, 2020, 10:54:27 am »
No TEA for me today but I had a fairly expensive Ruida 6445G Laser controller and front panel arrive. Under a week from China so  :-+ and shove that up your Clacker UPS - still waiting for PCB's for 4 weeks from the USA :--

And what did I do with but TAKE IT APART before even putting power to it. :-DD

Lots of Quality goodies under the hood and looks well laid out and sensible in design. Only here if it interests some and those it doesn't please move on  ;)

Those boards look to be well-made with some decent Chinese workmanship, time will tell when you install it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #60022 on: June 02, 2020, 11:19:24 am »
Should be fine they produce the best and most featured of the Chinese designed and origin boards for Lasers and this one has been out in the wild for nearly a year. There is surprisingly little technical info out there on them and are generally treated as a black box by the industry. The Manual SUXS but that is to be expected I guess.  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #60023 on: June 02, 2020, 11:29:23 am »
I get up to this?  :-DD

Talk about images I can never "erase". That's just ... wrong.  :o

just poked my nose in to see what was goin' on.

YIKES!!!

you guys sailed too far and have fallen over the edge!

i am outta' here.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #60024 on: June 02, 2020, 11:38:11 am »
Yesterday installed Ubuntu on USB drive to salvage data on a broken Mac HDD and copy them to a FAT32 windows external drive.

It was funny.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf