Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14408384 times)

ondraN and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #60300 on: June 05, 2020, 10:28:24 pm »
(SNIP)
And I am looking at many Tek scopes now (see floppy problem). Will I be willing to trade off channels or bandwith? Do I want to have something as massive as a TDS7054 at home? Will I cripple my capabilities in an unexcusable way by going for anything except a TDS3054C? And the selection process (or even the mere pre-selection gathering of information) is fraught with danger! Even wearing blinkers I would not be able not to look at other TE too! :scared:

My condol3nces on the GPS problem... maybe your life would be easier if you made it a software problem on a iPwn. I'm SURE there's a app for that.  :-DD

As for the TDS3054C... did I read the spec sheet correctly...? $30K, and STILL a 6.5" VGA display...? REALLY? Wowzers. I get that these things are meant to be used as portable gear; but the difference in BL LED current draw for the jump from 6.5" to 8" or even 9" is negligible compared to the heavy silicon in these... and old farts like us DO still need to be able to see the effing thing. :palm:

mnem
 :blah:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60301 on: June 06, 2020, 12:36:01 am »
The Tek Type 106 Square Wave Generator is slowly making it's way cross country from California via FedEx truck. Had stops in Utah, Nebraska, and Illinois. Scheduled delivery is Tuesday but I see no reason for a possible Monday delivery if it continues at the rate it has over the weekend. It might stop again in Ohio/Pennsylvania or go directly to hub in New Jersey. From Jersey it will go to my local hub in Newburgh, NY.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60302 on: June 06, 2020, 12:41:07 am »
ok, had a so so day.
Finally my shipment of rare metals arrived.
60 grams of metal for around 3 effing grand. FFS.
Sold 2 of my motorbikes, now I only have the Milwaukee granny bobber left (the one that does not require me to lift my leg when getting onto it ...
Had a discussion with my boss why I needed a delegate. Fuck vacation, they call me even when I am in the middle of the pacific ...
I need to get a different phone number ...
Hf? Re? Np?

A couple of small disks of 241Am and Be. She already had the 3kg 239Pu  and a small phial of 3H. Apparently got a rodent problem, big rodents...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60303 on: June 06, 2020, 12:56:18 am »
ok, had a so so day.
Sold 2 of my motorbikes, now I only have the Milwaukee granny bobber left (the one that does not require me to lift my leg when getting onto it ...
Had a discussion with my boss why I needed a delegate. Fuck vacation, they call me even when I am in the middle of the pacific ...
Hf? Re? Np?

A couple of small disks of 241Am and Be. She already had the 3kg 239Pu  and a small phial of 3H. Apparently got a rodent problem, big rodents...

For those of us who haven't played with a chemistry set since we were 10 years old care to translate?  :-// I also hated chemistry in HS. 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60304 on: June 06, 2020, 01:28:55 am »
(SNIP)
And I am looking at many Tek scopes now (see floppy problem). Will I be willing to trade off channels or bandwith? Do I want to have something as massive as a TDS7054 at home? Will I cripple my capabilities in an unexcusable way by going for anything except a TDS3054C? And the selection process (or even the mere pre-selection gathering of information) is fraught with danger! Even wearing blinkers I would not be able not to look at other TE too! :scared:

My condol3nces on the GPS problem... maybe your life would be easier if you made it a software problem on a iPwn. I'm SURE there's a app for that.  :-DD

As for the TDS3054C... did I read the spec sheet correctly...? $30K, and STILL a 6.5" VGA display...? REALLY? Wowzers. I get that these things are meant to be used as portable gear; but the difference in BL LED current draw for the jump from 6.5" to 8" or even 9" is negligible compared to the heavy silicon in these... and old farts like us DO still need to be able to see the effing thing. :palm:

mnem
 :blah:
I'm looking at used ones, of course. And you got the point - I see Teks with larger screens for around half the price.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #60305 on: June 06, 2020, 01:29:37 am »
ok, had a so so day.
Hf? Re? Np?

3Kg Pu239 :-DD, well, if you are engaged in nuclear disarmament negotiations, you can sit next to North Korea.
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #60306 on: June 06, 2020, 01:39:58 am »
The Kikusui COS 5020 oscilloscope is completed. I finally got all the noise to go away by cleaning and re-seating all the connectors and cleaning the wafer switches. I did a complete cosmetic job on the old girl and she looks great now. I checked the bandwidth and measured ~21 MHz. The amplitude calibration is acceptable. Completely acceptable for low frequency troubleshooting.

That's looking like new, xrunner. Great job! I hope your friend does get a lot of good hours on it now.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60307 on: June 06, 2020, 01:43:00 am »
ok, had a so so day.
Hf? Re? Np?

3Kg Pu239 :-DD, well, if you are engaged in nuclear disarmament negotiations, you can sit next to North Korea.
So this chinese humor does get across very well - and it is the way we all should be looking at the little freak.  :-+
(I'm talking about NK, of course. I'm NOT crazy)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:34:34 am by Neomys Sapiens »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60308 on: June 06, 2020, 01:47:25 am »
Sorry can't resist. That's a door bell.

This would be great for stopping solicitors (i.e., door-to-door spammers). It'd only require one change: the sign need only say,

"To ring doorbell, connect the correct two wires together. Caution, the live one is 220 volts!"  >:D

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #60309 on: June 06, 2020, 01:48:08 am »
That's looking like new, xrunner. Great job! I hope your friend does get a lot of good hours on it now.

Thanks a lot. He said to keep it here for a while because he's going to build or get a cart for it. He doesn't want to put it back where it was sitting underneath a bunch of other junque stuff. And after all that work I'm very glad to hold on to it until he prepares the rightful spot it deserves to take.  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60310 on: June 06, 2020, 01:55:00 am »
the PM2527 is hugh, did not expect that

Yea it's big, but that's what we like because it can support a high stack of gear on top of it.  :-DD

And, it won't move halfway across the bench when you touch the front panel. :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60311 on: June 06, 2020, 02:06:07 am »
... "air superiority" ... might mean a better ground to air missile system, better electronic warfare, hunter killer drones, barrage balloons, huge flocks of armoured pigeons, tagging enemy air assets with the scent of bacon and releasing flocks of dragons, ...

Huge flocks of armored pigeons! I'd like to see that. They've already got the bombing skillz. :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60312 on: June 06, 2020, 02:09:12 am »
Why buy resistors when you can make your own with these special pliers?

(Attachment Link)

OK, but using that same wire and wanting say, a 10K resistor, would it not be just a little long? Like maybe several hundred feet?  :-DD

Nah. Just put a "10K" label on it. :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60313 on: June 06, 2020, 02:18:16 am »
Got this "for parts or not working" PD 2005A thanks to Kosmic tipping me off to the listing. Guess what? It works! Two of the indicator lamps are dead, so someone probably turned it on and thought it was dead. It's a wee bit off according to my voltmeters, but I am hesitant to adjust it right now because it could be right and my voltmeters wrong for all I know.

Congrats, 0culus! Yeah, those neons do come up dead sometimes or at least quite dim. I'm curious if the oven is still OK in it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60314 on: June 06, 2020, 02:25:13 am »
Wow, we got 2 hot cases of TEA addiction going here. Which will happen first? Run out of money or run out of room?  :-DD

It's good to see some new action and lots of "new" toys! :-DMM

After running out of either (money or space), bd can provide advice. :-DD
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:40:32 am by bitseeker »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #60315 on: June 06, 2020, 02:27:45 am »
The Russians like to say that the F-15 victories were made against MIG's flown by other countries with lesser trained pilots and if those pilots had been Russian the outcome would have been different.

Bullshit. We faced the Russians before once confirmed and possibly a 2nd time unconfirmed and beat their drunk behinds. First time was Korea. You think those brand spanking new MIG-15's were flown by Koreans or Chinese? Nope, and after years of suspicion the truth was confirmed. Despite the F-86 being a little outclassed by the MIG-15 the kill ratio was very much in our favor. Tactics, training, and the aircraft itself all played a role.

2nd time as been unconfirmed. Vietnam. Yep, that cluster fuck. During the bombing of North Vietnam the F-105's, which were loaded to the gills with bombs, were being picked off by North Vietnam AF with brand new MIG-21's. But every time the F-4's showed up to assist they would scatter and return to base and we were not allowed to attack their bases for fear of killing Russians and Chinese “advisors”.
But we got them. They took the F-4's and equipped them with F-105 transponders and flew same route as the F-105's would. The MIG-21's came up and got a nasty surprise. The F-4 is heavy, had no gun at the time, and the missiles were unreliable. Approx half of their fleet of MIG-21's never returned to base. Were they Russian pilots? Who knows but I'd lay odds at least some were. And guess what? The MIG-21's never came up again. They went chicken shit and stayed on the ground.   ::)     

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60316 on: June 06, 2020, 02:30:49 am »
I need to learn English because Google Translate cannot recognize pictures. :palm:

The Google Translate Android app can translate pictures. Point the camera at your screen, street signs, packaging, etc. and it will overlay the live image with translated text. It's pretty cool.

(D'oh, just saw that mnem already posted about it. C'est la vie.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:41:06 am by bitseeker »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60317 on: June 06, 2020, 02:35:45 am »
I don't need to hide anything, my husband has no say in these matters  :-DD :-DD
Hiding is for the fearful.

If I could hide stuff, I'd have more room on my bench. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #60318 on: June 06, 2020, 03:03:43 am »
Got this "for parts or not working" PD 2005A thanks to Kosmic tipping me off to the listing. Guess what? It works! Two of the indicator lamps are dead, so someone probably turned it on and thought it was dead. It's a wee bit off according to my voltmeters, but I am hesitant to adjust it right now because it could be right and my voltmeters wrong for all I know.

Congrats, 0culus! Yeah, those neons do come up dead sometimes or at least quite dim. I'm curious if the oven is still OK in it.

It's still good. I let it "burn in" overnight last night and through today. It came in pretty nicely. I think the decade switches need to be cleaned, but other than that it's great functionally. The "oven" indicator is indeed dim.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60319 on: June 06, 2020, 05:29:45 am »
ok, had a so so day.
Hf? Re? Np?

You say unusually... large... rodents... would they be ROUSes...?  >:D

mnem
I think maybe now would be a good time for a leisurely stroll down by the Fire Swamps... ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60320 on: June 06, 2020, 05:41:08 am »
ok, had a so so day.
Hf? Re? Np?

For those of us who haven't played with a chemistry set since we were 10 years old care to translate?  :-// I also hated chemistry in HS.

She’s making an Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator>:D

mnem

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #60321 on: June 06, 2020, 06:52:36 am »
ok, had a so so day.
Hf? Re? Np?

You say unusually... large... rodents... would they be ROUSes...?  >:D

mnem
I think maybe now would be a good time for a leisurely stroll down by the Fire Swamps... ;)

Ahhhhh, Buttercup ... *looking dreamily*    ^-^
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #60322 on: June 06, 2020, 06:54:52 am »
ok, had a so so day.
Hf? Re? Np?

It's not chemistry, it's more about physics ...   :scared:

Example:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60323 on: June 06, 2020, 07:00:50 am »
I hated physics too.  ;D

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #60324 on: June 06, 2020, 07:02:42 am »
I hated physics too.  ;D

This would explain a lot.  ;D  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf