Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14405805 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62200 on: July 01, 2020, 03:12:59 am »
...Bottom line is NOT that I don't know what I'm looking for or its alternatives; I have pages of alternatives at my fingertips. The problem is that pretty much the only source for the right stuff in the right quantity anywhere near me is a sewing supply house... of which there are only a few this side of the border close enough to drive to. Otherwise, I have to buy mail order and wait a fucking month for Canada Post, even shopping locally.   :palm:

If it wasn't going to cost a fortune to post I'd order some here and post it to you. (5L for £19, delivered Thursday).

Thanks, buddy; I knew you'd have my back. *Paw/Fist-bump* ;)

It wasn't really that painful; ~US$20 with shipping for 1L.  :-// I was reluctant because of the misery I've recently suffered at the hands of Canada Post. Since it's coming via Purolator, I'm much less worried. Also, lets face it... the dwagon has MUCH more important things to woorry aboot noow...  :P

mnem
 :-/O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #62201 on: July 01, 2020, 03:18:27 am »
It wasn't really that painful; ~US$20 with shipping for 1L.  :-// I was reluctant because of the misery I've recently suffered at the hands of Canada Post. Since it's coming via Purolator, I'm much less worried. Also, lets face it... the dwagon has MUCH more important things to woorry aboot noow...  :P

Uhhh... you do realize that Purolator is part of Canada Post now, right?

They still might be better than "parcel post" rate service but I think they share the same sorting and distro as Xpresspost from the actual "post office"...

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62202 on: July 01, 2020, 03:21:01 am »
Awwwww yeah. Got my 1N4007s today and replaced D702A and B...and...it's alive! There may be some issues still to work out, but I'm going to let it get warmed up well and learn how to use it from the manual before I go down any troubleshooting rabbit holes...  :-DD

Definitely going to have to do some time base calibration...but hey that's why I got the 184 and fixed it!  :-DD

Good deal....looks good. The front panel is almost identical to my 535A. Some differences with the "A Trigger" controls but function the same.

I do notice that the graticule on your CRT is approx 2/3 the size of mine. Does the beam cut off just above and below it? On mine it does. In order to gain the writing speed in those early CRT's there was a sacrifice in vertical deflection. Since yours is 85MHz vs mine 15MHz I assume that's the reason for the smaller calibrated viewing area.   

Yep, that's exactly it. You get a little bit beyond 4cm but not much. The tube in this one has distributed deflection plates. If I recall all the  scopes equipped with these tubes were limited to a 4cm rather than 6cm calibrated viewing area. [edit] I'm talking with a fleabay seller who has Type 82 plugins for sale WITH toobz...the only plugin of the 4 I got with the scope that doesn't seem to have some kind of issue is the Type Z differential comparator, which seems to be working perfectly. Should be an excellent complement to my 7A13 that I use in my 7904A regularly, as it can provide a _much_ larger comparison voltage...

[edit again] but I will say the crt is absolutely the sharpest of any scope I own. Absolutely incredible how sharp the trace is when you dial in focus and astigmatism
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:31:52 am by 0culus »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62203 on: July 01, 2020, 03:31:35 am »
Awwwww yeah. Got my 1N4007s today and replaced D702A and B...and...it's alive! There may be some issues still to work out, but I'm going to let it get warmed up well and learn how to use it from the manual before I go down any troubleshooting rabbit holes...  :-DD

Definitely going to have to do some time base calibration...but hey that's why I got the 184 and fixed it!  :-DD

Good deal....looks good. The front panel is almost identical to my 535A. Some differences with the "A Trigger" controls but function the same.

I do notice that the graticule on your CRT is approx 2/3 the size of mine. Does the beam cut off just above and below it? On mine it does. In order to gain the writing speed in those early CRT's there was a sacrifice in vertical deflection. Since yours is 85MHz vs mine 15MHz I assume that's the reason for the smaller calibrated viewing area.   

Yep, that's exactly it. You get a little bit beyond 4cm but not much. The tube in this one has distributed deflection plates. If I recall all the  scopes equipped with these tubes were limited to a 4cm rather than 6cm calibrated viewing area. [edit] I'm talking with a fleabay seller who has Type 82 plugins for sale WITH toobz...the only plugin of the 4 I got with the scope that doesn't seem to have some kind of issue is the Type Z differential comparator, which seems to be working perfectly. Should be an excellent complement to my 7A13 that I use in my 7904A regularly, as it can provide a _much_ larger comparison voltage...

Yep, and you also have tunnel diode triggering good for the full 85MHz bandwidth. The 535A doesn't and is advert'ed to go out to 5MHz. I tested it and I can push it reliably to 8MHz and then drops off a cliff.

I haven't had much luck with plug-in's lately. I have 3 for the 561B that need repair.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62204 on: July 01, 2020, 03:33:57 am »

Yep, and you also have tunnel diode triggering good for the full 85MHz bandwidth. The 535A doesn't and is advert'ed to go out to 5MHz. I tested it and I can push it reliably to 8MHz and then drops off a cliff.

I haven't had much luck with plug-in's lately. I have 3 for the 561B that need repair.

Yeah, these others (Type B, Type CA, and Type 1A1) are going to drop into the repair queue.  :-DD I made another edit above, but to carry it on here in case you missed it, I am astounded at how sharp the trace this crt gives. It's way better than either my 7904A or 7104...and MASSIVELY better than my 2465B...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62205 on: July 01, 2020, 03:37:40 am »
Example of trace sharpness.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62206 on: July 01, 2020, 03:41:59 am »

Yeah, these others (Type B, Type CA, and Type 1A1) are going to drop into the repair queue.  :-DD I made another edit above, but to carry it on here in case you missed it, I am astounded at how sharp the trace this crt gives. It's way better than either my 7904A or 7104...and MASSIVELY better than my 2465B...

Yep, what those early CRT's lacked in sensitivity they made up for in sharpness. My 535A has the sharpest trace of any of my other scopes. Unfortunately when you increase the sensitivity you get an increase in noise. That's the trade off. 

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62207 on: July 01, 2020, 03:47:21 am »

Yep, what those early CRT's lacked in sensitivity they made up for in sharpness. My 535A has the sharpest trace of any of my other scopes. Unfortunately when you increase the sensitivity you get an increase in noise. That's the trade off.

No free lunches! But it is, in truth, sort of silly to compare it to the 7104 or even the 7904A...those two mainframes have massively more bandwidth. Did you have to do any sweep alignments on yours?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62208 on: July 01, 2020, 03:48:38 am »

Uhhh... you do realize that Purolator is part of Canada Post now, right?

They still might be better than "parcel post" rate service but I think they share the same sorting and distro as Xpresspost from the actual "post office"...

Meh.

mnem
All out of GAF ATM.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #62209 on: July 01, 2020, 03:50:54 am »
Okies... Things have gone a bit pear-shaped in the dwagon's household right now; priorities are shifting drastically.
Short version is: We just got notification that the property owners are moving back in; our lease will not be renewed & we have 2 months to move.   

This does tend to polarize one's priorities; I've ordered the oil from my local sewing supply house and I'm going to take the gamble that Canada Post actually WILL get it to me before I have to move. :-+

As you may suspect, time for puttering is going to go away quickly. But... the pics are done, so I'm gonna roll the 2KVA Teardown here in a few.

Well, that's no bueno. Any good news on your immigration status with regard to when you can get your stuff?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62210 on: July 01, 2020, 04:00:33 am »
Since everyone's sharing their shipping woes, here's the one I've mentioned some time ago. Still waiting...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62211 on: July 01, 2020, 04:09:15 am »

In today's Post: Order from DIYMalls. I placed this order AFTER I started the dispute process on fleaBay over my PREVIOUS order of MP1584 Buck Converters went AWOL. These aren't the genuine Mini360 buck converters, but they were ~$1 each in Qty10. Individually Static-baggied; never got this before. Last order was a single sheet of 10 pieces.  :o

These may or may not be genuine MP1584ANs... but at least they aren't the ones with the tops just ground off. :palm:

1206 Resistor assortment. Been kindof feeling incomplete since I got here; the lack of these is part of why.  :-+

ATX Power Distribution Board. Quality, especially that of the binding posts, is not stellar. But the design is solid, the PCB seems heavy enough and I've long wanted one of these for random purposes. The fuse slots also make a convenient place to pop a ammeter in circuit.  :-+

All told, ~$US25 with Express Shipping... unfortunately that was effing Yun Express, which evidently is no different from China Post in terms of actual priority handling. :P

Still, feels good on my bench.  >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:25:24 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62212 on: July 01, 2020, 04:18:35 am »
Congrats on some successful toy arrivals. That breakout board is a nice idea.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62213 on: July 01, 2020, 04:18:49 am »
Since everyone's sharing their shipping woes, here's the one I've mentioned some time ago. Still waiting...

My NanoVNA V2 shipment has been encountering "exceptions" with fair regularity as it transits China. FedEx says "delay beyond our control". That's probably where the tracking devices are installed.  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62214 on: July 01, 2020, 04:20:19 am »
The Chinese government should have a package tracking service since they probably know where they all are and what's in the boxes. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62215 on: July 01, 2020, 04:58:46 am »

No free lunches! But it is, in truth, sort of silly to compare it to the 7104 or even the 7904A...those two mainframes have massively more bandwidth. Did you have to do any sweep alignments on yours?

Well yes, as soon as vertical amplifiers started venturing above 100MHz the residual noise became a greater factor. Why did you think we have 20MHz B/W limit switches? ;D  But even so the CRT's themselves with the increase in vertical viewing area came at a cost of somewhat less sharpness.

No, I don't have a marker generator but I use a known accurate sine or preferably square wave to set the sweep and then check it at various speeds. Usually comes out real close or dead nuts.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62216 on: July 01, 2020, 05:09:14 am »

Well yes, as soon as vertical amplifiers started venturing above 100MHz the residual noise became a greater factor. Why did you think we have 20MHz B/W limit switches? ;D  But even so the CRT's themselves with the increase in vertical viewing area came at a cost of somewhat less sharpness.

No, I don't have a marker generator but I use a known accurate sine or preferably square wave to set the sweep and then check it at various speeds. Usually comes out real close or dead nuts.

Yeah. Sometimes too much bandwidth is bad.   :-+ I’m planning on going through it with the 184 and get it closer than it is.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62217 on: July 01, 2020, 06:59:18 am »
ON THE BENCH: 2KVA CURB SCORE!

Picked this up off the curb this afternoon, on my way home from the above-recounted abject failure at Princess Auto. As I haven't actually had a proper TEA post in at least a couple moltings, I figured I'd do the Dave thing:

"Oy! Don't turn it on, take it apart!!!"  :-+   

First off, a quick wipedown with alcohol; then a trip to the washroom to wash me paws... then right back 'ere.

See Y'all in a few!

mnem
 :-/O

Look for Esso NUTO 32 SAE 32 hydraulic oil without smelly additives. Used fro small machine tools. Hydraulic jack oil is also a option that may be stocked locally.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62218 on: July 01, 2020, 07:23:34 am »
Okies... Things have gone a bit pear-shaped in the dwagon's household right now; priorities are shifting drastically.
Short version is: We just got notification that the property owners are moving back in; our lease will not be renewed & we have 2 months to move.   

This does tend to polarize one's priorities; I've ordered the oil from my local sewing supply house and I'm going to take the gamble that Canada Post actually WILL get it to me before I have to move. :-+

As you may suspect, time for puttering is going to go away quickly. But... the pics are done, so I'm gonna roll the 2KVA Teardown here in a few.

Cheers,

mnem
 :scared:

Sorry to hear that.  :-\

I hope, that you and your family will sail soon in more calmer waters.
Keep my fingers crossed.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #62219 on: July 01, 2020, 09:13:16 am »
That ATX breakout is pretty cool.

*me wants*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62220 on: July 01, 2020, 09:26:38 am »
Fucking around with the fucked up openLDAP backsql backend connection with Postgres.

In other news, another RockPi has just arrived courtesy of ebay. I can take the eMMC board off, plug it into the other one and have 2 working ones.
Should cancel the Conrad order, as they are completely incapable of sending out stuff they have in stock and I have been waiting weeks for the spare parts to arrive. f them, no wonder they are going out of business.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62221 on: July 01, 2020, 09:41:41 am »
Do they?   :o

Any details somewhere?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62222 on: July 01, 2020, 09:51:45 am »
google it. Need to cancel that order and request a refund. this is most annoying.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62223 on: July 01, 2020, 10:21:52 am »
Lots of rumours, angry people etc. but no hard facts.  :-//

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62224 on: July 01, 2020, 10:45:13 am »
Yes! ..unbelivable .. a working unit errived allready today!

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf