Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406726 times)

Peter_O, EggertEnjoyer123 and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62250 on: July 01, 2020, 04:30:03 pm »
Mastech seem to be quietly building themselves an impressed customer base. My 2108 is great, and I notice the price is more than double what it was when I bought mine 5 or 6 years ago.

That 8911 is now on my long term list, thanks for that mnem   >:(

To return the favour, here's one for the Norte Americanos to have a tilt at:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-HP-Agilent-Model-4261A-L-C-R-METER/153989166173
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62251 on: July 01, 2020, 04:41:47 pm »
Thanks, I think I'm full up. I now have 5 meters that do C & R, and 3 that do L. Here. In Canada. With me.  :-DD

mnem
*back to the real estate listings*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62252 on: July 01, 2020, 05:05:53 pm »
Lots of rumours, angry people etc. but no hard facts.  :-//

An apt description of any political rally staged for a particular politician in the United States.  >:D
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62253 on: July 01, 2020, 05:19:04 pm »
Mastech seem to be quietly building themselves an impressed customer base. My 2108 is great, and I notice the price is more than double what it was when I bought mine 5 or 6 years ago.

Tempting. I haven't looked at the manual to see how tough it is to fix. Seems safe to assume that "no way to test" for an as-is auction is code for "broke as shit".  Working models have sold for as little as 200USD in recent times. And unlike mnen, I only have three LCR meters, which is like hardly having any at all. 
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62254 on: July 01, 2020, 05:27:19 pm »
Hey! I resemble that remark!  :-DD

mnem
 :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62255 on: July 01, 2020, 06:51:22 pm »

Other issue: you're going to want the test fixtures that go with it, and those will cost. I got my 4262A with test fixtures...probably wouldn't have gotten it otherwise!

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62256 on: July 01, 2020, 06:57:51 pm »
   Yes! ..unbelivable .. a working unit errived allready today!

So... how much did you ultimately pay for all this Japanese Steel...?

mnem

230,- incl shipping euro's thats 250 usd ?
not bad for 2 units  :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: drussell, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #62257 on: July 01, 2020, 07:00:49 pm »

230,- incl shipping euro's thats 250 usd ?
not bad for 2 units  :-DD

That's no doubt worth a jammy git

even if it'd been the correct amount of units.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62258 on: July 01, 2020, 07:23:36 pm »
Yup!      INDEED!

You think you'll be able to get the smashtastic one patched up and working 100%, maybe flip it? Or just gonna pull a mnem and stick it in the back closet as a parts mule...?

mnem
I found 2700 pics I need to sort while I was packing today.   |O

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #62259 on: July 01, 2020, 07:24:16 pm »
Hmmm... Tracking says both these packages have been delivered, IN my community mailbox. And I just got a eMail from the Sewing Supply; my oil has been packed and will go out via Purolator Express Ground Service tomorrow morning.  :o

Well, FUCK. Now I have nothing to bitch about anymore; what the hell am I gonna do with m'seff...?

:-DD  Lol...  You probably already answered that one yourself, above:

I think I'll be too busy packing boxes to give a flying fuck either way, TBH. :P

You crack me up, man....  Keep it up, I can certainly use the extra humor value right now.   ;) 

Since everyone's sharing their shipping woes, here's the one I've mentioned some time ago. Still waiting...

Egads, that one is terrible!

My phone just bleeped with "With delivery courier - SOUTHERN ALBERTA, CANADA," today's updates have certainly inspired my confidence compared to where it was yesterday...  I believe that sort facility is here in Calgary by the airport, so I think it's at least in town, and it looks like it actually cleared customs, so things are actually looking good for once.   :)  (fingers crossed!)

. . . HOLY CRAP!

Just went to update the tracking info and post another image... 

It now says delivery by the end of the day today, on Canada Day, no less?! 
Finally, an actual shipping success story in the making?!  Oh, my!

* drussell is very happy all of a sudden...  :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62260 on: July 01, 2020, 07:25:01 pm »
Ugh my middle one just dropped her iPhone 7 face down onto a chair base ffs. Today was sucking bad enough already  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62261 on: July 01, 2020, 07:30:23 pm »
Ugh my middle one just dropped her iPhone 7 face down onto a chair base ffs. Today was sucking bad enough already  :palm: :palm: :palm:
Why don't you fit them with Gorilla glass screen protectors? I do that with all of my phones and tablets. My iPad was dropped recently on its face as well and only the gorilla glass cracked, the original screen is undamaged.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62262 on: July 01, 2020, 07:31:03 pm »
iPwn7...? Uggghhh. Hardly worth the assache of a new screen...    |O

. . . HOLY CRAP!

Just went to update the tracking info and post another image...  It now says delivery by the end of the day today, on Canada Day, no less?!  Finally, an actual shipping success story in the making?!  Oh, my!
* drussell is very happy all of a sudden...  :)

It was the Cincy hub that sat on my RC transmitter for almost 3 weeks; once it got up out of Dumbfuckistan, took a couple days to my doorstep.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:33:03 pm by mnementh »

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #62263 on: July 01, 2020, 07:31:54 pm »

Screens on a 7 are still reasonably easy to change.  Not as super easy as the old 4/4s era but still do-able by an amateur, and they're old enough that good quality screens are available dirt cheap w/ new digitizer already assembled, etc.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62264 on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:29 pm »

When my kids did that kind of stuff, I would always make sure it took 2-4 weeks to fix the problem.  It encourages them to take much better care of their things!

The following users thanked this post: drussell, jxjbsd

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #62265 on: July 01, 2020, 07:37:15 pm »
iPwn7...? Uggghhh. Hardly worth the assache of a new screen...

@drussell -

It was the Cincy hub that sat on my RC transmitter for almost 3 weeks; once it got up out of Dumbfuckistan, took a couple days to my doorstep.  :-+

Was it a customs clearance issue?

I suppose I often tend to have better luck because most of my stuff is commercial, though I don't have brokerage accounts with any of the major carriers anymore these days, it still seems that commercial shipments often tend to get speedier service even within the same rate class.

It obviously always helps when you're ordering something from somewhere that does the pre-clearance and charges the GST etc. up front to speed it through customs, and/or paying for a rate class that includes brokerage, as that tends to put you at the front of the line, especially if it's an express-class or higher service.

It still seems to vary a LOT, for no apparent reason sometimes.   :palm: :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62266 on: July 01, 2020, 07:40:14 pm »
Nope. Once it was shipped by bang-em-good, it took 10 days to get to the US and released to them by Canada Customs (at Cincy); that was ALL the Cincy hub.  |O

...Screens on a 7 are still reasonably easy to change.  Not as super easy as the old 4/4s era but still do-able by an amateur, and they're old enough that good quality screens are available dirt cheap w/ new digitizer already assembled, etc.
I've done a few; why I said "HARDLY WORTH IT"... ;)

It's a decision between a little money and a little assache now vs the heartache of the inevitable upgrade, when a iPwn 7 will in no time be is a doorstop in comparison to new sub-$200 Android phones with civilized screens. 

mnem
:-//
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:44:20 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62267 on: July 01, 2020, 07:59:14 pm »
ON THE BENCH: 2KVA CURB SCORE!

Ooooh.... yummy toroidal XFMR. Wound as an Autotransformer, like all its ilk. Still... I can get into a lot of trouble with this thing.  >:D

Getting into it; I see the switch tests bad. Not surprising, considering the crispy power cord that came with.  :palm: Visual inspection of the IN/OUT sockets indicates no damage, though.  :phew:

Shockingly, the switch is all melty inside; I pretty much expected this after seeing that power cord. But the contacts & bars are in good shape; nearly zero charring. Hmmmm...

Just to facilitate testing, I think I'll booty-fab this switch back together just long enough for testing. What could possibly go wrong...?  ;) *melt... melt... melty-melt...*

Let's get it all mostly back together... better safe than zorchy. *Takes a few quick tests confirming infinite resistance vs case and GND before juicing things up*

Well... guess now that's done, I can get on with my life... we'll see how THAT works out.  :o

mnem
*wibble*

I think the melted plug and the switch are only the symptoms, not the root cause. Once I had this on a transfomer, too. It was my own fault. Maybe you have a very nice green yellow short winding together with the case and the mounting screw. Just unscrew and meassure the resistance between gn/ye and screw... If it has e.g. 1 Ohm it is transformed to 0,5 Ohm on the primary. So you have on the primary 0,5 Ohm in series with the electric resistance of the coil, but nearly no inductive resitance. That's why it melted. Just connect gn/ye on the other side of the transformer or at the case and assure that the screw can not connect to the metall case.

Regards  Roland
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:11:27 pm by RolandK »
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62268 on: July 01, 2020, 08:30:10 pm »
Nope. Once it was shipped by bang-em-good, it took 10 days to get to the US and released to them by Canada Customs (at Cincy); that was ALL the Cincy hub.  |O

...Screens on a 7 are still reasonably easy to change.  Not as super easy as the old 4/4s era but still do-able by an amateur, and they're old enough that good quality screens are available dirt cheap w/ new digitizer already assembled, etc.

It's a decision between a little money and a little assache now vs the heartache of the inevitable upgrade, when a iPwn 7 will in no time be is a doorstop in comparison to new sub-$200 Android phones with civilized screens. 

mnem

Not worth changing it. The third party screens are crap and there’s a chance you end up with no working Touch ID or a brick. I’ll get £80 second hand for it so will just eBay it smashed for someone else to fuck up. Got 4 years out of it so I’m not moaning really. Had AppleCare for first 2 years which mitigated most risks.

Android doesn’t get a look in. This needs iOS accessibility stuff as the user is partially disabled. So new 2020 SE it is. Works out at less than 20 a month even if it lasts 2 years.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62269 on: July 01, 2020, 08:36:58 pm »

When my kids did that kind of stuff, I would always make sure it took 2-4 weeks to fix the problem.  It encourages them to take much better care of their things!

The other two yes. This one not due to disability. She’s got a nasty disorder which means she’s got about half the strength and mobility of an average person resulting in the odd drop. It had a case on it which has eaten all drops so far. This one hit bang in the middle of the screen. Lasted 4 years though! I was expecting it to get owned pretty quickly but nope was good.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62270 on: July 01, 2020, 08:40:45 pm »
Received today some 1206 ceramic capacitors from TDK:

1µF / 25V - 2000 pieces
4,7µF / 50V - 2000 pieces

Total, including shipping: EUR 40.-

I think, that are sufficient caps of this kind for the rest of my life.   :-DD

If you are in Europe and need some, let me know.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62271 on: July 01, 2020, 08:59:20 pm »

The other two yes. This one not due to disability. She’s got a nasty disorder which means she’s got about half the strength and mobility of an average person resulting in the odd drop. It had a case on it which has eaten all drops so far. This one hit bang in the middle of the screen. Lasted 4 years though! I was expecting it to get owned pretty quickly but nope was good.

It's clearly the penis fingers gene run rampant...  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62272 on: July 01, 2020, 09:00:34 pm »

Other issue: you're going to want the test fixtures that go with it, and those will cost. I got my 4262A with test fixtures...probably wouldn't have gotten it otherwise!

Surely you just need a set of Kelvin clips?   :-//
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62273 on: July 01, 2020, 09:09:30 pm »
I think the melted plug and the switch are only the symptoms, not the root cause. Once I had this on a transfomer, too. It was my own fault. Maybe you have a very nice green yellow short winding together with the case and the mounting screw. Just unscrew and meassure the resistance between gn/ye and screw... If it has e.g. 1 Ohm it is transformed to 0,5 Ohm on the primary. So you have on the primary 0,5 Ohm in series with the electric resistance of the coil, but nearly no inductive resitance. That's why it melted. Just connect gn/ye on the other side of the transformer or at the case and assure that the screw can not connect to the metall case.

Regards  Roland

LOL... No, my years as a repair tech pretty categorically put this one down to a single likely cause: long-term overloading. Somebody running it right at or slightly over spec; not egregiously enough to cause the thermal fuse in the XFMR to kakk, but enough that resistance points in the high-current half (the 120V side) got warm and kept getting warmer over time.

Either that, or it's POSSIBLE it was plugged into a worn-out outlet; the melted prong suggests that possibility. More often this failure mode will manifest as some arcing visible on the prong; however it is possible the switch just failed first. :-//

Don't care much; a new switch and a new IEC cord will bring it back into service, provided I don't get curious and investigate the possibility of breaking out the auto-transformer connection and turn it into a big-ass linear PSU or small welder.  >:D

mnem
tzzzt.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:51:35 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62274 on: July 01, 2020, 09:38:35 pm »

mnem

Not worth changing it. The third party screens are crap and there’s a chance you end up with no working Touch ID or a brick. I’ll get £80 second hand for it so will just eBay it smashed for someone else to fuck up. Got 4 years out of it so I’m not moaning really. Had AppleCare for first 2 years which mitigated most risks.

Android doesn’t get a look in. This needs iOS accessibility stuff as the user is partially disabled. So new 2020 SE it is. Works out at less than 20 a month even if it lasts 2 years.

Yup; definitely a doorstop compared to that. Ugggh... the SE is a 4.7" screen model.  :P The 6.1" XR is only $200 more (A12/64GB); you can probably find a XS(5.8"/A12) for around the same price as the SE. Truthfully, I feel anything smaller than 6 inch is just a waste of time anymore.  >:D Modern clothes have huge pockets designed for them, so why not enjoy the real estate?

Her eyes will thank you...

Wooh... who's your carrier? Sprint is offering the XS MAX (A12/512GB/6.5") on lease for $12.50/mo-18 months with trade-in... Your smashed 7 might be worth a lot more than $80 that way. ;)

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-phones/apple-iphone-xs-max.html?duration=18&contractType=lease

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:41:43 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf