Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14407507 times)

RolandK and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62400 on: July 04, 2020, 02:52:28 am »
I'm leaning heavily towards a dispute, but I'll sleep on it first.[/color][/size][/b]

If it was advertised:
 1. AS a HAKKO or
 2. with pictures of a HAKKO and NOT declared as a clone/copy/whatever
... then I'd go to an Item Not As Described dispute.

Sorry - but an "innocent" misrepresentation doesn't cut it IMHO.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62401 on: July 04, 2020, 03:02:47 am »
some of my software is dependent on W7 and / or XP and I don't see why I should trash it. I also hate W10. And Dilbert has cooties.
Indeed.

I have hardware that is old but still performs its function more than capably and it only has drivers for XP.  (The manufacturer didn't develop drivers for this model past that.)  When I finally moved to Win7, it was only considered because it had XP mode.

Yes, I could upgrade the hardware to something more "modern", but I don't see why I should fork out a four figure sum to do so - PLUS there's the question as to whether the supporting software would have the features and processes that would fit into my nicely efficient workflow.

No way am I entertaining the idea of new hardware, new software, new workflows and all the hassle of making it all fit into an established ecosystem.

and ... yeah ... if the hardware breaks, I'll go looking for a second hand unit.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62402 on: July 04, 2020, 03:23:07 am »
I am a boni-fied crusty old fart, and I hate to admit it but... I cringe every time I fire up my one ToughBook that still has Win7 on it. It feels like I'm looking at everything through a Vaseline lens.  :palm:  I literally prefer the whole feel of my older XP ToughBook.  ::)

mnem
"Get off my lawn!!!"

i am pretty sure i am older. i am definitely crustier.  i hate WIN10 so much that i bought a stack of dell business machines from a local university because they had W7P keys and could be easily restored to their WindowSevenish glory to run all the goofy old software i have from that era. plus the user interface is simpleminded and archaic, like my mind.

* worsthorse wanders over to the comfy sofa, curls up, pulls up the asbestos blanket and waits to be flamed.   >:D

Nope... that's why I keep the crusty old ToughBooks around. For when I have to connect to some old fossil and try to talk to him... errr, get data off of it...  :-DD

In other News...

Took a break to clear off my workbench so I could wipe down with alcohol/scope out a few Thrift purchases. A "for the upstairs" power pack to fit my wife's laptop, a couple toys for the kids... and these just because they were $2.99 & $3.99 apiece. 2-foot N-to-N Female  and 10m N-to-RP-SMA; both in (I'm guessing here) LMR-400. No idea  :wtf: I'm gonna use them for; I got them on speculation just before we found out we have to move because they were so cheap.  :P

Oh, and my liter of sewing machine juice arrived this afternoon courtesy Purolator.  :-+ The parts for the Juki are still 500 miles away in Kentucky at last scan. *wibble*

mnem
Current mood: Juicy
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:58:13 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62403 on: July 04, 2020, 03:47:05 am »

Taste the Rainbow, Bizzitches...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2314755/#msg2314755

mnem
*This Blast from the Past Brought to you by FUKKITOL*
Ewww. Show it again when you got Staeubli. ;)
Also missing out on brown, violet, white, and grey.

Not missing out on them; those colors suck for wiring. Well, I can tolerate violet... however brown, white, and grey are nothing but fucking trouble.  :-DD

No, seriously... I had need of my heavy patch cables this afternoon for a high-current load on my 12V/1200W PSU. I was so very thankful I'd made all these 13ga soldering torture devices that I felt a need to revisit them.  >:D

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a tortilla mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62404 on: July 04, 2020, 04:12:58 am »
I am a boni-fied crusty old fart, and I hate to admit it but... I cringe every time I fire up my one ToughBook that still has Win7 on it. It feels like I'm looking at everything through a Vaseline lens.  :palm:  I literally prefer the whole feel of my older XP ToughBook.  ::)

mnem
"Get off my lawn!!!"

i am pretty sure i am older. i am definitely crustier.  i hate WIN10 so much that i bought a stack of dell business machines from a local university because they had W7P keys and could be easily restored to their WindowSevenish glory to run all the goofy old software i have from that era. plus the user interface is simpleminded and archaic, like my mind.

* worsthorse wanders over to the comfy sofa, curls up, pulls up the asbestos blanket and waits to be flamed.   >:D

Nope... that's why I keep the crusty old ToughBooks around. For when I have to connect to some old fossil and try to talk to him... errr, get data off of it...  :-DD

In other News...

Took a break to clear off my workbench so I could wipe down with alcohol/scope out a few Thrift purchases. A "for the upstairs" power pack to fit my wife's laptop, a couple toys for the kids... and these just because they were $2.99 & $3.99 apiece. 2-foot N-to-N Female  and 10m N-to-RP-SMA; both in (I'm guessing here) LMR-400. No idea  :wtf: I'm gonna use them for; I got them on speculation just before we found out we have to move because they were so cheap.  :P

Oh, and my liter of sewing machine juice arrived this afternoon courtesy Purolator.  :-+ The parts for the Juki are still 500 miles away in Kentucky at last scan. *wibble*

mnem
Current mood: Juicy

That's some thrift shop you have!   :clap:
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62405 on: July 04, 2020, 04:15:02 am »
Took a break to clear off my workbench ...

* Makes note to do same *

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62406 on: July 04, 2020, 04:34:54 am »

* Lost note on workbench *    ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62407 on: July 04, 2020, 05:08:13 am »

* Lost note on workbench *    ::)

I clean my work areas and then they get piled up as quick as I jump into a new project.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62408 on: July 04, 2020, 05:14:15 am »
585A update:

Time base B is in great shape...it's as close to perfectly aligned as possible I think. Time base A, on the other hand, has issues. Notwithstanding the borked C348 (thanks again for sending me a potential replacement, med), I believe the sweep linearity issues may be stemming from a problem around the Miller runup circuit. In particular, a problem with V161 or the timing capacitors can cause sweep nonlinearity. I tried swapping V161 with V398 (another 6CL6) at Mr. Cubdriver's suggestion and this helped a little, but wasn't enough. R160Z still doesn't have quite enough range to adjust the sweep at the 1ms/cm adjustment as called out in the calibration procedure. So I have ordered a pair of NOS 6CL6s and should also be getting those next week.

And in other news, I'm damn impressed with the NanoVNA V2. Quite some capability in a small, cheap package. I need to find a battery for it (using a phone battery bank right now). Paired with desktop software like NanoVNA-saver, and you have a seriously capable and very portable VNA. Yeah, it doesn't have the dynamic range of a "real" VNA, but "real" VNAs also don't cost under $100.  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 05:17:47 am by 0culus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62409 on: July 04, 2020, 05:29:02 am »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2314755/#msg2314755

mnem

Not missing out on them; those colors suck for wiring. Well, I can tolerate violet... however brown, white, and grey are nothing but fucking trouble.  :-DD

No, seriously... I had need of my heavy patch cables this afternoon for a high-current load on my 12V/1200W PSU. I was so very thankful I'd made all these 13ga soldering torture devices that I felt a need to revisit them.  >:D

mnem
[/quote
Well, then I hope you did yourself the favor to apply anti-wicking measures when soldering them.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62410 on: July 04, 2020, 07:22:54 am »

mnem

mnem

What about orange?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62411 on: July 04, 2020, 07:58:23 am »
Found this rare and very nice counter from PHYWE (no affiliations with the seller):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402314695006

I do expect, this thing will become really expensive because of the nice Nixie tubes in it.

I have it on my watchlist but I will not bid.
So, if somebody wants to give it a nice home and save it from the tube vultures, please go ahead.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker, bd139, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62412 on: July 04, 2020, 08:22:10 am »
Mmmhmmmm... The shell contact is the first one the base of the tip should come into contact with, not the last. If it's stuffed way down in there, then it has been damaged and bent all to fu**.

This it what's inside your clone FM-2028 handle; the contact you can see here is the one for the shell. My guess would be that either it was bent a little too far in towards centerline, or one of the cheap T12 cartridges has an irregularity in the plastic end... whatever the cause, I'll bet it caught on the end of the cartridge, and yumyucks there just jammed it in.

I wouldn't be surprised if it shorted one of the hot contacts and the whole damned thing is dead, or if the cartridge is unable to go all the way in and make contact on the last two rings.

mnem
 :P

No, it works, and gets up to the indicated temperature very quickly. Without breaking out the endoscope, it's difficult to see, but my guess is the contact is just molded into the casing in the wrong place, about 3mm closer to the base of the tip cartridge than it should be.

I'm leaning heavily towards a dispute, but I'll sleep on it first.[/color][/size][/b]

If it was advertised:
 1. AS a HAKKO or

The picture is clearly a genuine one, with the case molding name and the name also printed on the front.
The one I received has neither.
The description does not mention Hakko, but it is listed in the "Item specifics" box as Hakko in the Brand field. The description makes no mention of being a clone or copy.

My guess is ebay would side with me pretty quickly.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62413 on: July 04, 2020, 08:32:01 am »
The picture is clearly a genuine one, with the case molding name and the name also printed on the front.
The description does not mention Hakko, but it is listed in the "Item specifics" box as Hakko in the Brand field. The description makes no mention of being a clone or copy.

That sounds like a clear case of culpable fraud. Screw the b*st*rd.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62414 on: July 04, 2020, 08:56:30 am »

That sounds like a clear case of culpable fraud. Screw the b*st*rd.

I agree.

If it was "innocent", they need to learn.  If not - and it seems pretty clear to me this was the case as there appears to have been NO effort in even hinting that this was a clone - then kneecap the bastard.

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile ... and there's enough of this crap around as it is.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62415 on: July 04, 2020, 09:03:06 am »
+1 for letting them have it.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62416 on: July 04, 2020, 09:30:27 am »
Refund requested, time to wait and see.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62417 on: July 04, 2020, 09:30:47 am »
Mmmhmmmm... The shell contact is the first one the base of the tip should come into contact with, not the last. If it's stuffed way down in there, then it has been damaged and bent all to fu**.

This it what's inside your clone FM-2028 handle; the contact you can see here is the one for the shell. My guess would be that either it was bent a little too far in towards centerline, or one of the cheap T12 cartridges has an irregularity in the plastic end... whatever the cause, I'll bet it caught on the end of the cartridge, and yumyucks there just jammed it in.

I wouldn't be surprised if it shorted one of the hot contacts and the whole damned thing is dead, or if the cartridge is unable to go all the way in and make contact on the last two rings.

mnem
 :P

No, it works, and gets up to the indicated temperature very quickly. Without breaking out the endoscope, it's difficult to see, but my guess is the contact is just molded into the casing in the wrong place, about 3mm closer to the base of the tip cartridge than it should be.

If it was advertised:
 1. AS a HAKKO or

The fact that the photo used was not of the one you received does it for me, all you need to do is to open up a dispute on the grounds of does not match the description and explain why, open and shut case.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62418 on: July 04, 2020, 10:00:41 am »
Quick update to my R&S NGB 32/10.
I'm in discussion with the seller, asked for a partial refund (50 Euro),
but he is saying, that's to much just for changing to blown fuses and he's saying I'm a professional, therefore should be an easy task.
He is offering me 25 Euro.   :wtf:

Okay, let's check the details:
- fuses are blown. 10 Amp slow blow fuses. Both.
Alone this fact is an indication  that there is something nasty going on.

What does the schematics saying? (can be found here)

What a surprise! The schematics is saying 8A slow blow! So, somebody else was fiddling around inside and changed the fuses from 8A to 10A!
And even the 10A fuses are blown! Both!  :wtf:   >:(    |O    :rant:

The problem is: I do not have the usual options from ebay / PayPal.
So if the seller is refusing to do anything, I'm screwed.   >:(   :(

Let's see what he is responding. If he is going to respond.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62419 on: July 04, 2020, 10:10:25 am »
Can the power supply be brought up out of the system? That usually defines how expensive it’s going to be. Then in your professional opinion you can say that it’s beyond economical repair, not as described and that you wish for a full refund. Then see what he offers.

I find it’s better to work with absolutes and accept somewhere in the middle.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:12:20 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62420 on: July 04, 2020, 10:22:27 am »
How much was the initial cost of the power supply ?
It's a small wonder that a KA seller bothered to answer and a huge wonder that is offering anything back. This why at login they print this huge lettered pop-up saying to only get things in person to be able to check them and there's no buyer protection.
I've had a seller of a MacBook air going AWOL on me for 6 weeks and when I've managed to get his workplace number and called, the MBA arrived in two days.
If you live near Mannheim, measure the diodes and get a new heavy duty elko (this was what most likely happened, the elko failed and took the diodes with it) and I'll replace them for a beer, you may be able to even remain with some cash after all  ;).

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62421 on: July 04, 2020, 11:13:27 am »
Yes, all true. I knew the risk from the beginning buying things in ebay Kleinanzeigen.
And I'm knowing my weak points:
- I want to be a nice person
- I'm not a good negotiator
- I'm a little bit dumb, because of all knowing this, I'm going to buy further things without buyer protection  :palm:

Because I want to keep this PSU (it is a good complement to my other NGB 70/5) I'm afraid, I'll lose this game.  :(

But I'll learn and will do it better next time. But first I'm going to fix this bugger.
I've ordered some 8AT fuses, because I have only 6.3AT ready at hand. For fixing it they are sufficient, so let's see what culprits I will find.
And pulling also a med6753: recap the damn thing.   :-DD

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62422 on: July 04, 2020, 11:16:39 am »
You had me worried there for a second.  My first thought involved a can of blue spray paint.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62423 on: July 04, 2020, 11:20:34 am »
You had me worried there for a second.  My first thought involved a can of blue spray paint.  :scared:

Meh..... :blah: :blah: :blah: ;D

Gee, seems everyone is getting ripped off on recent purchases.  :wtf: I'm staying off Ebay for a while.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62424 on: July 04, 2020, 11:45:31 am »
It’s full of desperate fuckers at the moment trying to shift all their marginal shit. Makes us legit sellers look bad.

Just fucked up my knee running again. Undoing over 40 years of lazy = suffering  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf