Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551631 times)

ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62475 on: July 04, 2020, 06:55:18 pm »
So I am new here, first time posting here in TEA.

Welcome, mendip!

So randomly looking at eBay one evening and I spotted a bit of test gear...

Yep, that's how it begins. ;D

Welcome mendip.

You have joined us now. Forget the life you used to have - before TEA. Don't look back because you can never go back. It will never be the same now. All that pre-history will soon be forgotten. That's how I remember it when it happened to me.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62476 on: July 04, 2020, 06:59:46 pm »
If my calculations are right, this makes 2500 pages (unless you're tgggzzzzz).

Reply 62475 and halfway through page 1250 doesn't have that "je ne sais quoi", does it :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62477 on: July 04, 2020, 08:05:55 pm »
The mystery of the YEW model 2441 aka 'the dodo' starts to clear up. <TERRA OPERATIVE> was able to wrangle a operator's instruction sheet out of Yokogawa.
There is just a tiny problem - it's Japanese. Duh. Time to start bothering any of Nippon's sons and daughters with getting a free translation. The problem is - I don't know any. I could find someone fluent in nearly any eastern european language and probably Spanish and maybe Portuguese too.
But Japanese? Going through any person of asian descent, I came up with a Filipino at work, a Taiwanese, Korean, a lady from Singapore.....dang! Could be Buryat ot Elamite as well.

can you send me the PDF ?`
I'll see what I can do.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62478 on: July 04, 2020, 08:11:00 pm »
And a 25A load?

Watch PhotonicInduction vids for inspiration   >:D
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #62479 on: July 04, 2020, 08:37:09 pm »
So... my Kijiji buyer bought... and I now have CAD$300 in my sweaty little hands.

Of course my eyes wander to the oscilloscopes tab always open in Kijiji...

mnem
*wibble*
Keep your eyes peeled for a SH 200 MHz X-E like BD has.
Better in all ways.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62480 on: July 04, 2020, 08:38:50 pm »
A whole 4 of us in discord right now...   ???
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62481 on: July 04, 2020, 08:47:36 pm »
Well yeah... it's only quarter til.  :-// And it's 4th of July. All the instigators are having a BBQ.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:10:39 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62482 on: July 04, 2020, 09:07:16 pm »

So I checked the mail on my way home "from the tip" (where I saw a lawnmower in the roll-off that was nicer and newer than the one I own and use... :o) and what did I find...? My long-lost (2.5 months) packet of MP1584 buck converters.

They were very carefully packed in double bubble-wrap and individually static-wrapped just like the other ones I bought 3 weeks ago. In fact, they're identical parts.

Now I feel a bit churlish hating on "yet another eBay gone wrong"; especially knowing this package just got lost in the COVID clusterfuck. I mean... yeah, part of me says it's his own fault for using one of the worst carriers on the planet: Singapore Post; but then again "There but for the grace of Ifni go I..." etc.  :o

PayPal has changed their UI; I no longer can just reverse a refund or even send money to a random someone in my transaction history. No idea why...  |O

mnem

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 03:04:33 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62483 on: July 04, 2020, 09:48:44 pm »
As long as it's not an OMGWTFHGFBBQ
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62484 on: July 04, 2020, 09:55:07 pm »
•Memory Depth:40K

:o

just keep your money, wait a little bit, and buy a 200Mhz Rigol, Siglent or Owon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:58:55 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62485 on: July 04, 2020, 10:07:44 pm »
Yeah, saw that... part of why I was leaning towards the Rigol. Still 10x better than most of the current crop of cheapies at 4K tho.

WTF is the deal with that anyways...? RAM is fucking CHEAP; why would you deliberately castrate an otherwise halfway-serviceable scope... unless a castrated scope is what you want in that price range...?

Guess maybe they got tired of us hacking their cheap scopes and decided to make the shortfall in that price range something mechanical...?

Or does the tiny record length hide other much more serious flaws in the design...?

Guess I'll find out if he accepts my offer.  :-//

mnem
*off my runner*

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62486 on: July 04, 2020, 10:15:23 pm »
WTF is the deal with that anyways...? RAM is fucking CHEAP; why would you deliberately castrate an otherwise halfway-serviceable scope... unless a castrated scope is what you want in that price range...?

Very simple! The more RAM you have, the more processing power you need to process/display it.

Also: They might be using the internal RAM of an FPGA and expanding that isn't cheap at all.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62487 on: July 04, 2020, 10:17:28 pm »
Yeah, saw that... part of why I was leaning towards the Rigol. Still 10x better than most of the current crop of cheapies at 4K tho.

Guess maybe they got tired of us hacking their cheap scopes and decided to make the shortfall in that price range something mechanical...?

Or does the tiny record length hide other much more serious flaws in the design...?

Guess I'll find out if he accepts my offer.  :-//

mnem
*off my runner*
Old technologies suffered from low wfps so memory was kept low so to not impact on it further.
Check wfps specs vs mem depth and ponder why they are as they are.
Hint, it's related to mem depth at various timebase settings.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62488 on: July 04, 2020, 10:18:03 pm »
Quote from: mnementh on Today at 14:35:18
•Memory Depth:40K

:o

just keep your money, wait a little bit, and buy a 200Mhz Rigol, Siglent or Owon.
I can't stop eyeing the Siglent SDS2000+ with their 4 channels and 50 Ohms switchable input, etc. But there bad remarks about the history feature so gotta wait for new firmware.
And there's Rigol 5000 is equally interesting and cost less and comes with 350 Mhz probes for 4 channel model.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62489 on: July 04, 2020, 10:29:17 pm »
I can't stop eyeing the Siglent SDS2000+ with their 4 channels and 50 Ohms switchable input, etc. But there bad remarks about the history feature so gotta wait for new firmware.
History works exactly as it's supposed to, Sequence mode too.  :P
It's capture depth and how Siglent implements it that some can't get their heads around.  ::)
There's no bug as LeCroy and Pico use this same capture management philosophy too.

Any changes/additions to the existing capture management strategy are low priority if the behind the scenes discussion is anything to go by.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62490 on: July 04, 2020, 10:39:05 pm »
Quote from: TorinoFermic on Today at 18:18:03
It's capture depth and how Siglent implements it that some can't get their heads around.  ::) ..SNIP..
Ah, I remembered wrong things. The capture, but since it does use Lecroy's implementation I remember hearing other people getting their pants in a twist.Still, I wish Siglent came with 350 Mhz probes but I guess not. Rigol is insanely good value when it does come with 350 MHz probes but it does not do 500 MHz which is a shame because extra BW is a nice bonus.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62491 on: July 05, 2020, 12:01:12 am »
It's capture depth and how Siglent implements it that some can't get their heads around.  ::) ..SNIP..
Ah, I remembered wrong things. The capture, but since it does use Lecroy's implementation I remember hearing other people getting their pants in a twist.Still, I wish Siglent came with 350 Mhz probes but I guess not.
Yeah not with the 100 MHz SDS2104X Plus, however they do come with the PP215 200 MHz 1x/10x probes.
The 10x fixed autosense probes for the 350 MHz SDS2354X Plus are indeed crazy dear @ $159.  ::)
There is another option, a SP2035 350 MHz 1x/10x probe that comes with the 2ch SDS2352X-E although it's not autosense of course being switchable.
There's also SP2030A for a more reasonable $59 but it's a fixed 10x probe.
https://siglentna.com/product/sp2030a-auto-sense-300-mhz-oscilloscope-probes/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62492 on: July 05, 2020, 12:22:41 am »
Ah, I remembered wrong things. The capture, but since it does use Lecroy's implementation I remember hearing other people getting their pants in a twist.Still, I wish Siglent came with 350 Mhz probes but I guess not.
Yeah not with the 100 MHz SDS2104X Plus, however they do come with the PP215 200 MHz 1x/10x probes.
The 10x fixed autosense probes for the 350 MHz SDS2354X Plus are indeed crazy dear @ $159.  ::)
There is another option, a SP2035 350 MHz 1x/10x probe that comes with the 2ch SDS2352X-E although it's not autosense of course being switchable.
There's also SP2030A for a more reasonable $59 but it's a fixed 10x probe.
https://siglentna.com/product/sp2030a-auto-sense-300-mhz-oscilloscope-probes/

I picked up a probemaster quad set for mine

https://probemaster.com/design-your-own-4900-series-master-probe-kit/

335 USD for gold plated 300 Mhz probes with full accessories

The following users thanked this post: tautech, TorinoFermic

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62493 on: July 05, 2020, 01:45:12 am »

Welcome, mendip!

So randomly looking at eBay one evening and I spotted a bit of test gear...

Yep, that's how it begins. ;D

Welcome mendip.

You have joined us now. Forget the life you used to have - before TEA. Don't look back because you can never go back. It will never be the same now. All that pre-history will soon be forgotten. That's how I remember it when it happened to me.

Indeed.  Welcome mendip!  Make yourself at home.

We have several rabbit holes you might care to explore...

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62494 on: July 05, 2020, 03:33:00 am »
Quote from: Elasia on Today at 20:22:41
I picked up a probemaster quad set for mine

>https://probemaster.com/design-your-own-4900-series-master-probe-kit/

335 USD for gold plated 300 Mhz probes with full accessories
Thanks for these suggestions, I'll decide when to purchase the Siglent SDS2000+ with 4 channel versions then hack to fully unlocked. Maybe 1-3 weeks of decision.
Also, thank tautech for clarifying me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62495 on: July 05, 2020, 03:51:07 am »

Very simple! The more RAM you have, the more processing power you need to process/display it. Also: They might be using the internal RAM of an FPGA and expanding that isn't cheap at all.

The former is just daft (not saying it isn't so, just that it's daft :o); RIGOL managed 24Mpts with 2 generations older hardware. And made it cheaply enough to GIVE IT AWAY with their cheapest models...

The latter does seem the almost unassailable truth:  That these scopes ARE just the cheapest crap they could knock together for the lowest rung, and that includes using the cheapest processors they could get away with and no external RAM. :palm: Would definitely fit in with my supposition that they are trying a different tactic now that everybody knows you can hack most of these cheap scopes to get more out of them...

Guess I should be glad this one is better than those Owon eWaste models with 4KPts. Just proves that the bar can always go lower. :palm:

Suddenly I'm missing my 1054Zed... a lot.  :-DD

mnem
*drops back and punts*
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:13:12 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62496 on: July 05, 2020, 04:47:08 am »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #62497 on: July 05, 2020, 07:07:41 am »
Yeah probably right  :-DD. Going to take a couple of weeks off doing anything. Can do hiking / walking etc just not high impact stuff now  :(

Just came back from 4 days of (to us) heavy cross-country hiking with the family (wife, 10yo and 12yo). We're completely untrained, and took on a fairly complicated trail, with a lot of elevation meters (up, down, up, down, et c, ad inf.) in it, no resupply points except for water springs, so a full load going in, for all. I've done things like this (a long time ago, when I was reasonably fit) before, but the others not. Walked 32 km in total (20 miles), and that was quite enough given our preparation level.

No injuries except lots of mosquito bites. Especially the Simuliidae variety of around 1mm length are incredibly irritating. Hammocks with integrated bug nets are a real life-saver in these situations, though.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62498 on: July 05, 2020, 07:28:19 am »
My exercise injury minimisation policy involved removal of all equipment that involved any sudden changes in movement, including two treadmills ... gone.

All that is left is an exercise bike and a rowing machine - smooth motions all the way.  The rowing machine, in particular, allows for a great variation in intensity from casual boating to olympic competition.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62499 on: July 05, 2020, 10:14:54 am »

Welcome, its called therapy here, but be aware... you will and up with more TE ...
i think  :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TorinoFermic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf