Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552763 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, ch_scr and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62550 on: July 06, 2020, 12:44:45 am »
Holy instrusive shit. Microsoft decided that installing Edge Chromium unasked on computers, pinning it to start and adding it to the desktop and confronting users with a full screen nag screen upon boot is how they regain the fragile trust of users.  :-DD

https://www.theverge.com/21310611/microsoft-edge-browser-forced-update-chromium-editorial

Microsoft doesn't seem to understand that even if they really did come up with the worlds best web browser nobody would care and nobody would use it because it's from Microsoft.

I don't get why Microsoft threw away their previous work on Edge and just turned it into a skin over a Chromium browser.  Not that I even intended to use Edge but I don't really like that there is now one less browser that's not part of the Google system.   

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62551 on: July 06, 2020, 01:35:17 am »
Been going through the other plugins I got with the 585A as I wait for parts to finish aligning the A timebase.

Type CA plugin == no trace. Type B plugin seems to be leaking a 60 Hz signal in from somewhere. Every signal rides on this, no matter what settings.  :palm: Type 1A1 also has some 60 Hz leakage (though curiously only on channel 1) and there is some seriously freaky interdependency between the controls of the channels. Basically, the Type Z is the only fully functioning plugin I have right now, though I do have a Type 82 on the way.

The Type B also seems to have a tiny selenium rectifier...so probably should refrain from using it anyway lest smoke happen.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:42:45 am by 0culus »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62552 on: July 06, 2020, 01:39:44 am »
Holy instrusive shit. Microsoft decided that installing Edge Chromium unasked on computers, pinning it to start and adding it to the desktop and confronting users with a full screen nag screen upon boot is how they regain the fragile trust of users.  :-DD

https://www.theverge.com/21310611/microsoft-edge-browser-forced-update-chromium-editorial

Microsoft doesn't seem to understand that even if they really did come up with the worlds best web browser nobody would care and nobody would use it because it's from Microsoft.

I don't get why Microsoft threw away their previous work on Edge and just turned it into a skin over a Chromium browser.  Not that I even intended to use Edge but I don't really like that there is now one less browser that's not part of the Google system.

Microsoft got in trouble in the 90's for far less of a "crime" than Google does today.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62553 on: July 06, 2020, 02:45:26 am »
PS - I don't do that sort of falling down stuff with the same, uh, reckless enthusiasm of my youth because it hurts more these days. Way way more.  :P
And let us not forget how much longer it takes to heal.  Last year I popped something in my chest taking a nose dive after tripping over something.  I landed with my left arm against my chest and I make mnem look svelte.  IIRC, it took almost 3 months for the pain to go away completely.  20 years ago, in my 40's, that would have taken 2 months. :palm:  Thankfully, I still have a very high pain tolerance so I ignore most pain anyways.  Except the pain in my chest from the fall, I was not amused.

Yeah, I had a bad fall during packing for the move; landed squarely on my (already fucked up with split kneecap) left knee with all my weight on a concrete garage floor. Felt like hamburger in there for weeks; still feels that way if I have to kneel to do anything...  :o 

Walking time is a balancing act between when my back starts to scream at me and when that knee starts; if I try to power through either the knee will give way or the back injury will seize up that night or the night after. Last time I got anywhere losing weight I worked up to 25-30 min 2 days on 1 day off... we'll see what comes this go-round. Having my apple pie & ice cream and I'm done for another 2 weeks.  :phew:

I've been pushing this fucked-up old body too hard for too long; too many crashes I walked/hobbled/crawled away from and right back at it as soon as I could stand again, too many bar fights I barely survived, too many wasted weekends and pervy se.... no, strike that last one. There's no such thing.  >:D

mnem
"A wasted youth is better by far... than a wise and productive old age..."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:12:23 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62554 on: July 06, 2020, 03:10:08 am »

Microsoft got in trouble in the 90's for far less of a "crime" than Google does today.

So where's the news part of this "news"...? Edge was rebuilt pretty nearly from the ground up almost immediately after release on the Blink rendering engine; that was part of their marketing campaign back in what... 2018 FFS.  :palm:  Did anybody really think it was NOT going to report back to SOMEBODY...? Whether MS or Gurrgle, those search queries and DNS lookups are getting processed by someone before they come back to you; we just had a long messy discussion about how the only DNS lookup you REALLY know where it comes from is the one you configure and host yourself.  ::)

I use Edge as my backup; a Chrome-based browser not under direct control of Google (even if is does report back to MS) is still the least painful alternative when FF goes wonky.  :-// Anybody who's harvesting that data is going to think I'm a octogenarian sparky from Jersey who occasionally checks his bank account online and buys capacitor kits with PayPal.  :-DD

mnem
Windows, like Democracy is the worst possible system... except for everything else we have...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62555 on: July 06, 2020, 05:55:58 am »
Been going through the other plugins I got with the 585A as I wait for parts to finish aligning the A timebase.

Type CA plugin == no trace. Type B plugin seems to be leaking a 60 Hz signal in from somewhere. Every signal rides on this, no matter what settings.  :palm: Type 1A1 also has some 60 Hz leakage (though curiously only on channel 1) and there is some seriously freaky interdependency between the controls of the channels. Basically, the Type Z is the only fully functioning plugin I have right now, though I do have a Type 82 on the way.

The Type B also seems to have a tiny selenium rectifier...so probably should refrain from using it anyway lest smoke happen.

The Type CA plug-in might be an easy fix. With the position control centered pins 1 and 3 at the connector should read equal as shown. If not check the plate and cathode resistors to the 12AT7. I'll bet one of them is open.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62556 on: July 06, 2020, 06:32:57 am »

Spot on!  ... i would/am not using it... specialy the way it was forced on me...  and i needed a quick boot to do somthing..
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62557 on: July 06, 2020, 07:07:51 am »

The following users thanked this post: Carl_Smith, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62558 on: July 06, 2020, 07:48:58 am »

Well now thats not a surprise is it after all everything else that was considered to be bad in the 90's is now common practise, I mean we are becoming a world of double standards, one for us more common folk and another for those elites who are allowed to do what they want.  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62559 on: July 06, 2020, 08:35:44 am »
It always ends up with heads on spikes. Give it a few months  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: scl, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #62560 on: July 06, 2020, 08:52:34 am »
the mighty Scottish Highland midge.

Typical view in the Highlands during midge season as they come teeming for your blood:

That seems about right in terms of behaviour for what we call "svidknott" (Ceratopogonidae), even though the Highland midge is a fly... Yes, flies are more stupid and harder to discourage. Our biting "fly" (fsvo) varieties are much larger, called horse flies (Hippobosca equina) or "broms" (Abanus bovinus). They mostly go for cattle and horses, as the names imply, but can bite humans too.

Our small and large mosquitoes are mostly stopped by good bug nets and some of the more industrial repellents. In some locales (flood plains inland around our larger rivers) they've gone the olde way, and sprayed the countryside with either "VectoBac G" or "Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis" from helicopters, but that is really exceptional, requiring specific permission et c.

Our Defence Research Establishment has spent decades researching repellents, and IIRC found that Artemisia vulgaris worked pretty well, but so many people are allergic to it that it's not practical. Obviously, repelling bugs is critical to sub-arctic warfighting abilities.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62561 on: July 06, 2020, 09:28:03 am »

Well now thats not a surprise is it after all everything else that was considered to be bad in the 90's is now common practise, I mean we are becoming a world of double standards, one for us more common folk and another for those elites who are allowed to do what they want.  :rant:

The last update installed this chromium crap on my media PC without my permission. But strangely, it has not installed it on this laptop. But if I bring up Edge (which I don't use) it ASKS if I want to update to chromium. Both running x64 Home. Go figure.  :-// 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62562 on: July 06, 2020, 09:51:47 am »
Think it only slaps you around on 2004 version. Either that or they’re rolling it out to a portion of users so that there isn’t a mutiny.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62563 on: July 06, 2020, 09:53:54 am »
Think it only slaps you around on 2004 version. Either that or they’re rolling it out to a portion of users so that there isn’t a mutiny.
got it imidiate after 2004
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62564 on: July 06, 2020, 10:08:44 am »

The last update installed this chromium crap on my media PC without my permission. But strangely, it has not installed it on this laptop. But if I bring up Edge (which I don't use) it ASKS if I want to update to chromium. Both running x64 Home. Go figure.  :-// 
How odd  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62565 on: July 06, 2020, 10:24:44 am »
Turns-out i like analog too, 3 Leader generator with big scale coming my way, and i bought, because it was cheap 13x analog PSU to flip and have a few myself.  :palm: :palm:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62566 on: July 06, 2020, 10:26:00 am »
Turns-out i like analog too, 3 Leader generator with big scale coming my way, and i bought, because it was cheap 13x analog PSU to flip and have a few myself.  :palm: :palm:
Did flip a few Counters already and CB tranceivers....need space..

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62567 on: July 06, 2020, 10:29:09 am »
I've flipped nearly everything now. Time to start collecting again in a few months :-DD

Apparently the Kempton radio rally is back in November now which is good news as it's about 5 minutes from here.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62568 on: July 06, 2020, 11:10:19 am »
I've flipped nearly everything now. Time to start collecting again in a few months :-DD

Apparently the Kempton radio rally is back in November now which is good news as it's about 5 minutes from here.

And how many geriatrics (i.e. hams) will dare go?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62569 on: July 06, 2020, 11:15:17 am »
It'll be business as usual I reckon based on the current behaviour of the human race. At worst it'll be less competition for obtaining crap. The sellers will be there if they aren't already dead.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #62570 on: July 06, 2020, 11:39:38 am »
Our Defence Research Establishment has spent decades researching repellents, and IIRC found that Artemisia vulgaris worked pretty well, but so many people are allergic to it that it's not practical. Obviously, repelling bugs is critical to sub-arctic warfighting abilities.

Al this talk of biting bugs makes me wonder - no matter what area of the world - how ancient peoples could stand it without modern ways to keep away biting insects.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62571 on: July 06, 2020, 11:45:17 am »
Selling a Kempton hamfest...

It'll be business as usual I reckon based on the current behaviour of the human race. At worst it'll be less competition for obtaining crap. The sellers will be there if they aren't already dead.

... or on fleabay.

I'm unconvinced of the benefit of my trying to flog stuff there, not least because there are too many cheapskates looking for a (false) bargain :)

My stuff is too good for them, yah boo sucks.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62572 on: July 06, 2020, 11:55:24 am »
 |O :palm:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, nixiefreqq, factory

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62573 on: July 06, 2020, 12:00:25 pm »
Nice, 7 digit room heater!  xD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #62574 on: July 06, 2020, 12:55:37 pm »
|O :palm:
(Attachment Link)

There is a special place in my heart for /hp/ nixie counters. Nice!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf