Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14558937 times)

m k, K0ELB, Vince and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62575 on: July 06, 2020, 01:02:14 pm »
|O :palm:
(Attachment Link)

There is a special place in my heart for /hp/ nixie counters. Nice!

Did not pay to much... now i read better, for the nixies and psu.... the deal is done... just asked now if he took out parts or its just broken..
lest see... would be nice if it can be fixed... and not to much is taken out...
Yes i saw it, i needed to have it...  now i need to sell even more redundant TE (except for the specials)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62576 on: July 06, 2020, 01:42:18 pm »
Has anyone else implemented the Britac tip about changing the Windows Update Policy in the registry to stop Microsoft from installing version 2004 in order to prevent Edge from installed against your will? I just bit the bullet and can report that it does indeed work. I told my policy to remain on version 1909, and rebooted, then did a Windows update to get the latest updates, which it did, but the PC remains on 1909 version  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62577 on: July 06, 2020, 01:50:12 pm »
Quicker permanent fix  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62578 on: July 06, 2020, 01:53:43 pm »
Chicken.. Only took a couple of minutes to update the policy. What are you going to do when Apple fuck up the iOS then? :-DD

I got all of my security updates without having to install Windows build 2004 and so have dodged that bleeding pile of Edge crap  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:55:57 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62579 on: July 06, 2020, 02:04:47 pm »

Out of the frying pan.....

The following users thanked this post: scl, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62580 on: July 06, 2020, 02:10:58 pm »
Chicken.. Only took a couple of minutes to update the policy. What are you going to do when Apple fuck up the iOS then? :-DD

I got all of my security updates without having to install Windows build 2004 and so have dodged that bleeding pile of Edge crap  :-DD

It's all going in the right direction at Apple now Jobs snuffed it and Jony Ive is gone. Crap keyboards are gone. iOS has keyboard, mouse and filesystem support. macOS is being maintained and there's a complete switch to ARM on the way meaning no more x86-64 desktops. Life is good.

If they fuck it up, I'll do what I did this time and pick the least bad tasting sewage to drink :)

Nah I'm gargling urine now instead of tapeworm infested diarrhea.

Edit: It's really basically like switching to Linux but without the death by 1000 GNU and Redhat infested paper cuts.

Anyway this isn't new for me as evidenced by this photo from 2017:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:23:54 pm by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62581 on: July 06, 2020, 02:13:54 pm »

... and over the other side of the fence, where the grass is always greener.

There's something to be said for having optimism that the future will be better. (But I'm too polite to say it)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62582 on: July 06, 2020, 02:20:02 pm »
Indeed. The future will be better. For some. The objective is making sure that you're on the "some" side of the fence where possible.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62583 on: July 06, 2020, 02:34:26 pm »
Indeed. The future will be better. For some. The objective is making sure that you're on the "some" side of the fence where possible.

There is some appeal in some countries' approach of attempting to lift all boats / create a large middle class...   the dog-eat-dog model is a little tiresome, and I hate tripping over beggars on my way to the office!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62584 on: July 06, 2020, 02:37:21 pm »
Further proof that jumping out of perfectly good airplane is never a good thing.......

https://midhudsonnews.com/2020/07/06/second-skydiving-fatality-in-days/

I hear they still haven't found the parachute from the one last week.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62585 on: July 06, 2020, 02:54:17 pm »

... and over the other side of the fence, where the grass is always greener.

There's something to be said for having optimism that the future will be better. (But I'm too polite to say it)
Don't worry, if there is one in life that you can be sure of, its that bd will change his mind again soon, and that he gets bored quickly, he needs a SWMBO in his life again to keep him in check and to make his life miserable, why should we be the only ones suffering  ;) :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62586 on: July 06, 2020, 03:00:11 pm »
Further proof that jumping out of perfectly good airplane is never a good thing.......

Maybe they were ill and could not afford the medical bill?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62587 on: July 06, 2020, 03:01:11 pm »

Don't worry, if there is one in life that you can be sure of, its that bd will change his mind again soon, and that he gets bored quickly, he needs a SWMBO in his life again to keep him in check and to make his life miserable, why should we be the only ones suffering  ;) :-DD :-DD :-DD

If you're suffering....do so in silence.  :P :P :-DD Bd may get bored but I don't think he's stupid enough to take on another SWMBO. Although it's famous last words.....I was stupid multiple times.  :o But I have seen the light and it's SWMBO free.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62588 on: July 06, 2020, 03:02:28 pm »

It's all going in the right direction at Apple now Jobs snuffed it and Jony Ive is gone. Crap keyboards are gone. iOS has keyboard, mouse and filesystem support. macOS is being maintained and there's a complete switch to ARM on the way meaning no more x86-64 desktops. Life is good.

If they fuck it up, I'll do what I did this time and pick the least bad tasting sewage to drink :)

Nah I'm gargling urine now instead of tapeworm infested diarrhea.

Edit: It's really basically like switching to Linux but without the death by 1000 GNU and Redhat infested paper cuts.

Anyway this isn't new for me as evidenced by this photo from 2017:

Yep, also witness the now no longer Agilent meter as well, gosh, was that 3 years ago?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62589 on: July 06, 2020, 03:02:59 pm »

Maybe they were ill and could not afford the medical bill?

From the description he was attempting a "swoop landing" which is showing off and akin to "hold my beer and watch this".  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62590 on: July 06, 2020, 03:03:55 pm »

There is some appeal in some countries' approach of attempting to lift all boats / create a large middle class...   the dog-eat-dog model is a little tiresome, and I hate tripping over beggars on my way to the office!

It doesn't work though. I've been trying to do this for nigh on 25 years now and I've given up at this point. Some people just don't want to be lifted. And that's fine. We just need to factor it in. Universal Basic Income is a good answer but that tends to annoy the folk who will need to pay for it. And then this dissolves into the real problem with society which is that most people wouldn't piss on their neighbour if they were on fire...

We should start fixing that first.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62591 on: July 06, 2020, 03:06:07 pm »

If you're suffering....do so in silence.  :P :P :-DD Bd may get bored but I don't think he's stupid enough to take on another SWMBO. Although it's famous last words.....I was stupid multiple times.  :o But I have seen the light and it's SWMBO free.  :-+
Hmm lets wait and see on that one  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62592 on: July 06, 2020, 03:18:27 pm »

Yeah that's one level of stupid I won't escalate to again.

UG: FIRE HURT.
OG: STOP POKING FIRE
UG: PLAN.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62593 on: July 06, 2020, 03:22:21 pm »
Been going through the other plugins I got with the 585A as I wait for parts to finish aligning the A timebase.

Type CA plugin == no trace. Type B plugin seems to be leaking a 60 Hz signal in from somewhere. Every signal rides on this, no matter what settings.  :palm: Type 1A1 also has some 60 Hz leakage (though curiously only on channel 1) and there is some seriously freaky interdependency between the controls of the channels. Basically, the Type Z is the only fully functioning plugin I have right now, though I do have a Type 82 on the way.

The Type B also seems to have a tiny selenium rectifier...so probably should refrain from using it anyway lest smoke happen.

The Type CA plug-in might be an easy fix. With the position control centered pins 1 and 3 at the connector should read equal as shown. If not check the plate and cathode resistors to the 12AT7. I'll bet one of them is open.

Hmmm, getting to those pins might be hard. I would think an extension cable might be easier to make for these plugins though, as they expect the mainframe/type 81 adapter (for 580 series) to provide a high impedance. Have you made one?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62594 on: July 06, 2020, 03:55:43 pm »

Hmmm, getting to those pins might be hard. I would think an extension cable might be easier to make for these plugins though, as they expect the mainframe/type 81 adapter (for 580 series) to provide a high impedance. Have you made one?

Just for giggles check those resistors with the plug-in on the bench. The 3A3 Vertical plug-in displayed same symptoms. Open plate resistor. Replaced and bingo....worked.

I want to make up a plug-in extension cable for the 561B but so far have not found a female 24 pin connector. There's a set on Ebay for the 561 and the 661 but they want $160 USD for them. Are you nucking futs?  :palm:

BTW....your 60Hz hum might be caused by the plug-in adapter required to use them on the 585A. Might be a good idea to check it completely.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:57:54 pm by med6753 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62595 on: July 06, 2020, 03:56:49 pm »

Yeah that's one level of stupid I won't escalate to again.

UG: FIRE HURT.
OG: STOP POKING FIRE
UG: PLAN.
UG & OG?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62596 on: July 06, 2020, 03:59:25 pm »
Archetypical cavemen.

mnem
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:02:03 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62597 on: July 06, 2020, 04:04:28 pm »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62598 on: July 06, 2020, 04:10:46 pm »
This is caveman....

Who let Murphy in?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62599 on: July 06, 2020, 04:10:50 pm »

It doesn't work though. I've been trying to do this for nigh on 25 years now and I've given up at this point. Some people just don't want to be lifted. And that's fine. We just need to factor it in. Universal Basic Income is a good answer but that tends to annoy the folk who will need to pay for it. And then this dissolves into the real problem with society which is that most people wouldn't piss on their neighbour if they were on fire...

We should start fixing that first.

I know what you mean, and we have to accept that by the definition of IQ, half the population has to be below average.

However, in the countries where some form of social democracy works,  the people you talk about aren't given an easy choice of letting themselves slip into the crapper...   to receive anything from the state, you get a case worker assigned that essentially manages your life and you will be required to see the doctor, dentist, and other professional help in an attempt to give you the best chance of getting out of your own way.  So, there is a price to pay to make it work...   the "losers" lose the liberty to be losers, unless they really work hard at it and finance it themselves!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf