Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552820 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, ch_scr and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62625 on: July 06, 2020, 05:49:23 pm »

Hmmm, getting to those pins might be hard. I would think an extension cable might be easier to make for these plugins though, as they expect the mainframe/type 81 adapter (for 580 series) to provide a high impedance. Have you made one?

Just for giggles check those resistors with the plug-in on the bench. The 3A3 Vertical plug-in displayed same symptoms. Open plate resistor. Replaced and bingo....worked.

I want to make up a plug-in extension cable for the 561B but so far have not found a female 24 pin connector. There's a set on Ebay for the 561 and the 661 but they want $160 USD for them. Are you nucking futs?  :palm:

BTW....your 60Hz hum might be caused by the plug-in adapter required to use them on the 585A. Might be a good idea to check it completely.

I'll check it shortly. You mean V4383 right? I have found that you can improve access to a plugin that is using the Type 81 by removing the enclosure and just leaving the guts of the Type 81 in the scope.

Hmmm...it could be. It's quite a complex little beast with three tubes, a transformer, bridge rectifier, etc. I'll check it out too.

Couldn't find any open resistors...a couple are a tad high but not to the point they need replacing (still within tolerance). However, I do believe on closer inspection that the heaters to the 6AK5 tubes are not lighting. Both tubes have intact heaters...tested externally...so perhaps there is an issue with the heater circuits in the Type CA.

That would definitely be an issue.  :-+

Yep...and I also believe, upon closer inspection, that someone dropped this poor plugin on it's connector. The plastic is damaged and the thing is pushed in a bit. Ugh. Too bad because it has Eimac property tags. Pretty neat.

I have a CA parts unit here. If you can't repair that rear connector I'll take it off this one and send it to you.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62626 on: July 06, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »
hey tony

looks like your 5323a is in better shape than mine. 

they have leaf spring contacts under the main board that sometimes need to be cleaned and reseated.

and there are also pins soldered to the main board that are used to terminate flying jumpers.  on mine some of the solder connections to the pin were cold.  (or as dave says.....dry.....dry as a dead dingos donger).

it is the only counter in my stack that has a switch for RPM.

edit the ti-30xIIs is not there to rattle any cages.  it was there to determine that 5323 RPM is about 88.717 Hz.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:08:32 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62627 on: July 06, 2020, 06:21:25 pm »
Holy crap that's literally a wasteland of a mall. Everyone is complaining that the high street and retail is dead here but that's much much deader.

At least every alternate shop isn't a charity shop (good will over your side) or betting or kebab shop like here  :-DD

The "official" high street in the UK is almost like an outdoor mall... endless repetition of the same chain stores.   The neighbourhoods that have an active business life are the ones selling things people want, and can afford to buy - often Asian areas of town, at least this seems true in the Midlands!

It's pretty good around here on the high street. No chains apart from one betting shop and a co-op supermarket:

Local high street: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4687985,-0.3276399,3a,75y,130.27h,76.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgbdTQwqESRb-9ZXPpMwdEQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Holy crap, that looks more like my local neighbourhood shopping parade https://goo.gl/maps/713U6uMXgWNifXPQ7

This is Chelmsford High Street, or rather almost half of it and there is a big mall in each half of it but not a single shop that sells food other than fast food. To do your weekly grocery shopping, you have to go to one of the retail parks around the outskirts of Chelmsford,  :wtf:

https://goo.gl/maps/6TLQwNSJdfGZvtSY8

I remember when I was kid, we had the local shops and the High Street was where Mum would go to do the weekly shopping, now its full of high-end hair dressers, banks and fast food outlets :palm:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:30:29 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62628 on: July 06, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »

Hmmm, getting to those pins might be hard. I would think an extension cable might be easier to make for these plugins though, as they expect the mainframe/type 81 adapter (for 580 series) to provide a high impedance. Have you made one?

Just for giggles check those resistors with the plug-in on the bench. The 3A3 Vertical plug-in displayed same symptoms. Open plate resistor. Replaced and bingo....worked.

I want to make up a plug-in extension cable for the 561B but so far have not found a female 24 pin connector. There's a set on Ebay for the 561 and the 661 but they want $160 USD for them. Are you nucking futs?  :palm:

BTW....your 60Hz hum might be caused by the plug-in adapter required to use them on the 585A. Might be a good idea to check it completely.

I'll check it shortly. You mean V4383 right? I have found that you can improve access to a plugin that is using the Type 81 by removing the enclosure and just leaving the guts of the Type 81 in the scope.

Hmmm...it could be. It's quite a complex little beast with three tubes, a transformer, bridge rectifier, etc. I'll check it out too.

Couldn't find any open resistors...a couple are a tad high but not to the point they need replacing (still within tolerance). However, I do believe on closer inspection that the heaters to the 6AK5 tubes are not lighting. Both tubes have intact heaters...tested externally...so perhaps there is an issue with the heater circuits in the Type CA.

That would definitely be an issue.  :-+

Yep...and I also believe, upon closer inspection, that someone dropped this poor plugin on it's connector. The plastic is damaged and the thing is pushed in a bit. Ugh. Too bad because it has Eimac property tags. Pretty neat.

I have a CA parts unit here. If you can't repair that rear connector I'll take it off this one and send it to you.

I might well take you up on that. It'll be a bit before I am able to dive into it, but I'll let you know. Priority 1 right now is getting Timebase A on the 585A repaired.  :-+

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62629 on: July 06, 2020, 06:25:25 pm »
hey tony

they have leaf spring contacts under the main board that sometimes need to be cleaned and reseated.

and there are also pins soldered to the main board that are used to terminate flying jumpers.  on mine some of the solder connections to the pin were cold.  (or as dave says.....dry.....dry as a dead dingos donger).

edit the ti-30xIIs is not there to rattle any cages.  it was there to determine that 5323 RPM is about 88.717 Hz.

Good tips, will look at that, it is not counting the guy said.. thanks...

It just arrived.. and after a clean it can indeed look nice..

And it is calibrated ;-)     (maybe i keep the sticker) if a can

It does not count, but shows 10.00000 anyway, looks good

But maybe i was sold  a bomb..i messed to much with the switches, then this appared

Nice detail on the RPM's  :) :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:29:54 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: bd139, 0culus

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #62630 on: July 06, 2020, 06:30:34 pm »

This is Chelmsford High Street, or rather almost half of it and there is a big mall in each half of it but not a single shop that sells food other than fast food. To do your weekly grocery shopping, you have to go to one of the retail parks around the outskirts of Chelmsford,  :wtf:

The street is so clean!  :wtf:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62631 on: July 06, 2020, 06:31:10 pm »
Quicker permanent fix  :-DD

No need to buy vendor lock-in hardware:
(Attachment Link)

Always have an exit plan  8)

(Hence why it took me about two hours to jump platform and will next time as well)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62632 on: July 06, 2020, 06:32:14 pm »

I actually went to anglia poly for a bit which is round the corner from there. It wasn’t always that tidy. Someone had been out with the turd polish  :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62633 on: July 06, 2020, 06:33:27 pm »
oh yeah......those slide switches are dogshit. 

but a shot of contact cleaner usually restores them.  (until the next time you pull it from the stack)
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62634 on: July 06, 2020, 06:34:22 pm »
Holy crap that's literally a wasteland of a mall. Everyone is complaining that the high street and retail is dead here but that's much much deader.

At least every alternate shop isn't a charity shop (good will over your side) or betting or kebab shop like here  :-DD

The "official" high street in the UK is almost like an outdoor mall... endless repetition of the same chain stores.   The neighbourhoods that have an active business life are the ones selling things people want, and can afford to buy - often Asian areas of town, at least this seems true in the Midlands!

It's pretty good around here on the high street. No chains apart from one betting shop and a co-op supermarket:

Local high street: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4687985,-0.3276399,3a,75y,130.27h,76.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgbdTQwqESRb-9ZXPpMwdEQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Holy crap, that looks more like my local neighbourhood shopping parade https://goo.gl/maps/713U6uMXgWNifXPQ7

I remember when I was kid, we had the local shops and the High Street was where Mum would go to do the weekly shopping, now its full of high-end hair dressers, banks and fast food outlets :palm:

Can you actually park in the middle of Chelmsford anywhere now? I had terrible trouble when I used to hang around there. Also traffic was abysmal (this was in late 90s)

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62635 on: July 06, 2020, 06:36:57 pm »
oh yeah......those slide switches are dogshit. 

but a shot of contact cleaner usually restores them.  (until the next time you pull it from the stack)

Nice setup with the syntesyzer.. :-+

i try to clean and the contacts..then we see what we have... but i like the look of it allready
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62636 on: July 06, 2020, 06:37:46 pm »

Yep, we have things called rubbish bins and people dump their rubbish in them or risk getting fined. McDonald's were only allowed to open a shop there if they did regular rubbish patrols.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #62637 on: July 06, 2020, 06:38:34 pm »
Best thing to do with the empty enclosed malls......plow them under and let the land return to a natural state.

There's too many of them anyway.

They make good movie sets...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62638 on: July 06, 2020, 06:39:14 pm »
Quicker permanent fix  :-DD

That's like covering the cat piss smell by rubbing faeces over the walls.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding, Saskia

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62639 on: July 06, 2020, 06:41:25 pm »

Can you actually park in the middle of Chelmsford anywhere now? I had terrible trouble when I used to hang around there. Also traffic was abysmal (this was in late 90s)
Yes, there are a number of car parks around the edge of the centre, all computer controlled with electronic signboards on the roads leading into the centre, giving live updates on the number of spaces in each of them.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62640 on: July 06, 2020, 06:49:55 pm »
Best thing to do with the empty enclosed malls......plow them under and let the land return to a natural state.

There's too many of them anyway.

They make good movie sets...

-Pat
Ours are always too busy for that.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #62641 on: July 06, 2020, 06:55:55 pm »
Yep, we have things called rubbish bins and people dump their rubbish in them or risk getting fined. McDonald's were only allowed to open a shop there if they did regular rubbish patrols.

Rubbish bins - Rubbish bins? Interesting, we must look into those things over here.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62642 on: July 06, 2020, 07:07:55 pm »
We only got them here recently. Historically they were blown up by our Irish friends quite regularly. In London you could walk one end of the city to the other and not see a single one.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62643 on: July 06, 2020, 07:12:04 pm »
True, there was a time when all of ours were also taken away in the interest of public safety from bombers, but we had ours returned many years ago and we have not had a single incident,.. famous last words  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62644 on: July 06, 2020, 07:27:43 pm »

That seems about right in terms of behaviour for what we call "svidknott" (Ceratopogonidae), even though the Highland midge is a fly... Yes, flies are more stupid and harder to discourage. Our biting "fly" (fsvo) varieties are much larger, called horse flies (Hippobosca equina) or "broms" (Abanus bovinus). They mostly go for cattle and horses, as the names imply, but can bite humans too.

Our small and large mosquitoes are mostly stopped by good bug nets and some of the more industrial repellents. In some locales (flood plains inland around our larger rivers) they've gone the olde way, and sprayed the countryside with either "VectoBac G" or "Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis" from helicopters, but that is really exceptional, requiring specific permission et c.

Our Defence Research Establishment has spent decades researching repellents, and IIRC found that Artemisia vulgaris worked pretty well, but so many people are allergic to it that it's not practical. Obviously, repelling bugs is critical to sub-arctic warfighting abilities.
1.) Shouldn't that have been 'Tabanus'?
2.) I'm with your MoD there. I visited your country once as a kid, and getting nearly sucked dry is the most acute memory.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62645 on: July 06, 2020, 07:48:18 pm »
holy crap!

found a second one!

looks like they are both ex nuke submarine equipage. 

it is a wonder swmbo allows me to live here.

(looks like the bubbleheads on the 704 took better care of their gear than the swab jockeys on the 702)

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62646 on: July 06, 2020, 07:58:41 pm »
holy crap!

found a second one!

looks like they are both ex nuke submarine equipage. 

it is a wonder swmbo allows me to live here.

(looks like the bubbleheads on the 704 took better care of their gear than the swab jockeys on the 702)

Wow, that one looks very nice!! good find!

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62647 on: July 06, 2020, 08:17:56 pm »
hey tony

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

But maybe i was sold  a bomb..i messed to much with the switches, then this appared
(Attachment Link)

nice instrument, I shave the big brother (5340a) which needs to be fixed

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62648 on: July 06, 2020, 08:23:40 pm »
hey tony

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Upto 18Ghz ...wow!!!

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62649 on: July 06, 2020, 08:35:39 pm »
hey tony

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Upto 18Ghz ...wow!!!

am 99% sure this is my only 5340a.   sure hope it never goes tits up.......because there are magic things inside.

the boatanchor eaton signal generator is no longer in the basement.  it weighed over 90 lbs and had to go before it killed my ass.
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf