Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562928 times)

SingleBitError, DC1MC, Vince and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62650 on: July 06, 2020, 10:36:37 pm »
Our Defence Research Establishment has spent decades researching repellents, and IIRC found that Artemisia vulgaris worked pretty well, but so many people are allergic to it that it's not practical. Obviously, repelling bugs is critical to sub-arctic warfighting abilities.

Al this talk of biting bugs makes me wonder - no matter what area of the world - how ancient peoples could stand it without modern ways to keep away biting insects.  :-//

Mechanical means (less exposed skin) always were there. As was the fire. Both still work.

The sapmi people (arctic reindeer herders and hunter/gatherers in northern Scandinavia) are rumoured to have immunized themselves every spring by getting lots of bites and from then on were mostly unharmed. But that is a folklore tale more than reality, and it is not proven to work beyond anecdotes.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #62651 on: July 06, 2020, 10:56:14 pm »
Like it or not, every word is still true. Especially the *NIX bits.  >:D

The Unix bits are suckage one can deal with. You dragons apparently can deal with Windows suckage. Good for you, because then I don't have to. I'd rather live with the bugs and flies in the forest than have to endure more than minimal amount of Windows shite.

Edit: This turned out to be my 600th post on the forum. And it's about hating Windows. I'm fine with that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:04:59 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, scl, capt bullshot, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62652 on: July 07, 2020, 12:10:28 am »
Thanks to the very helpful <Saskia>, the japanese Manual of the YEW Model 2441 did undergo a machine translation. The results are.....mixed. It makes one think of stories involving crazy AIs which fill the Dataspace with strange gibberish.
Some examples
* (Snapping phenomena)... The phenomenon is characterized in that the guides stick to the left and right stoppers in a difficult manner
Blasphemy: Agony (in giant letters)
(n) Places filled with dust, refuse, and edible gases
Samurai (0.5% al..tting+2mV)

On the other side, I have extracted the first useful information, i.e. the fact, that the MM can act as a variable control voltage source (0..2V? +/-2V?). There are dozens of text fields stacked above another, so I will have to extract them singly into a new document and rearrange them. It really feels like technical archaeology. Probably I'll at least have a core specification sheet and some crucial hints about the operation when I'm done.
For those wanting a hearty laugh, I enclose a PDF of the document in the state when it reached me.
So even if BLASPHEMY: AGONY; many thanks to Saskia! Reporting will be continued.
And watch the edible gases anyone!

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62653 on: July 07, 2020, 12:41:14 am »
Like it or not, every word is still true. Especially the *NIX bits.  >:D

The Unix bits are suckage one can deal with. You dragons apparently can deal with Windows suckage. Good for you, because then I don't have to. I'd rather live with the bugs and flies in the forest than have to endure more than minimal amount of Windows shite.

Edit: This turned out to be my 600th post on the forum. And it's about hating Windows. I'm fine with that.

I hate all systems equally... operating systems, economic systems, belief systems, systems of government... they ALL suck like the psychic vampires they are.

mnem
Yeah, I suck too. Suck it up. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62654 on: July 07, 2020, 12:46:00 am »
Our Defence Research Establishment has spent decades researching repellents, and IIRC found that Artemisia vulgaris worked pretty well, but so many people are allergic to it that it's not practical. Obviously, repelling bugs is critical to sub-arctic warfighting abilities.

Al this talk of biting bugs makes me wonder - no matter what area of the world - how ancient peoples could stand it without modern ways to keep away biting insects.  :-//

Mechanical means (less exposed skin) always were there. As was the fire. Both still work.

The sapmi people (arctic reindeer herders and hunter/gatherers in northern Scandinavia) are rumoured to have immunized themselves every spring by getting lots of bites and from then on were mostly unharmed. But that is a folklore tale more than reality, and it is not proven to work beyond anecdotes.

Fire doesn't work on midges, unless you want to claim a flame thrower as a legitimate insect repellent. I've smoked myself over a campfire until you could have sliced me and had me for breakfast, and the damned midges were still biting while I was doing it. You'd actually have to be in the flames before the wee bastards'd back off.

It's making me itch just thinking about the damn'd things!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #62655 on: July 07, 2020, 12:55:52 am »
Thanks to the very helpful <Saskia>, the japanese Manual of the YEW Model 2441 did undergo a machine translation. The results are.....mixed. It makes one think of stories involving crazy AIs which fill the Dataspace with strange gibberish.
Some examples
* (Snapping phenomena)... The phenomenon is characterized in that the guides stick to the left and right stoppers in a difficult manner

On the other side, I have extracted the first useful information, i.e. the fact, that the MM can act as a variable control voltage source (0..2V? +/-2V?). There are dozens of text fields stacked above another, so I will have to extract them singly into a new document and rearrange them. It really feels like technical archaeology. Probably I'll at least have a core specification sheet and some crucial hints about the operation when I'm done.
For those wanting a hearty laugh, I enclose a PDF of the document in the state when it reached me.
So even if BLASPHEMY: AGONY; many thanks to Saskia! Reporting will be continued.

Awesome translation. Artificial intelligence rules surpreme !

During the MIR space program the US tried some AI translation program to coordinate tech documumentation with the Russians.
To put the program to a test, the Americans entered the sentence: "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak". It was translated to Russian an back.
"The wodka is good, but the meat is rotten" was the result.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62656 on: July 07, 2020, 01:43:09 am »
Some examples

During the MIR space program the US tried some AI translation program to coordinate tech documumentation with the Russians.
To put the program to a test, the Americans entered the sentence: "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak". It was translated to Russian an back.
I severely doubt the veracity of this tale, as the word 'rotten' respectively its russian equivalent гнилой (gniloy) was shunned during soviet times.
Things weren't rotten, but rather in their 'third degree of freshness'.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62657 on: July 07, 2020, 01:58:15 am »
... probably "third degree of freshness" was beyond the horizon the generation 1 translation software, so "rotten" is plausible.
I think the blunder happened on the backwards translation :)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62658 on: July 07, 2020, 01:58:32 am »
It can be taken as granted that technical genius was manyfold among the engineers of a certain company from Beaverton/OR. But sometimes I have the suspicion that they harboured some fools of equal magnitude among their numbers. When I look at the handle mounting of the TM502, this is certainly so. A massive bolt with flat head, round shaft and a square key section fitting the square hole in the enclosure from the outside is met on the inside by... a diminuitive UNC4-40 screw with a thin oversized washer.
Not exactly what I would call fine mechanical design. Bodge installed in factory.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62659 on: July 07, 2020, 02:37:16 am »
Holy instrusive shit. Microsoft decided that installing Edge Chromium unasked on computers, pinning it to start and adding it to the desktop and confronting users with a full screen nag screen upon boot is how they regain the fragile trust of users.  :-DD

https://www.theverge.com/21310611/microsoft-edge-browser-forced-update-chromium-editorial

Yeah it’s a shit show. Previously telemetry being forced on me. Had a run in with WSL2 a couple of weeks back, got fucked over by a hyper-v crash. Then there’s the whole .net core cert issue thing that has been fucking me for a month now. Oh and the shit show that is windows containers. And then one drive decided to fuck up two excel sheets meaning I had to reconstruct 300 odd bank transactions from scratch.

I’m taking a pragmatic approach to life and removing all friction from it so it’s gone in favour of a fruit encrusted unit. I spent 10 years on macOS so have crawled back apologetically.

I love how it got labeled as a critical update for Windows 7, an operating system that Microsoft doesn't support any more, and for which it is claimed that there is no way to get rid of the freakin' thing, its nag screens or, I suspect, the telemetry.

Of course there is, but I don't suspect that the average consumer would think of it. I run a weekly restore point on my Win7 boxes. I had to go back a couple of restore points to get rid of update but was able to do so. Luckily, upgrades and new software installs on the machine in question are relatively rare, so I didn't lose anything but the last Drobox update.

For me, this was just another instance of Microsoft over-reach, confirming my decision to stay on Win7 to run the few apps that need it and put everything else on Linux boxes. 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:41:33 am by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62660 on: July 07, 2020, 03:25:40 am »

Does anyone know the KBxxxx number of the update that contained Edge?

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62661 on: July 07, 2020, 04:37:30 am »

If no one answers I will post it in the morning. Late here...

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62662 on: July 07, 2020, 04:42:06 am »
Got a couple of hours on the bench tonight. :-+

Got the alan industries attenuator open without damaging it or me.   :-+

After some preliminary testing it appears that if I can find replacements, I will end up with a hefty 100dB attenuator for the cost of the two switches.   :-+

And I found another one on ebay, negotiated a good deal and will either use one for parts or end up with two good units.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62663 on: July 07, 2020, 06:30:02 am »
Some examples

That's been doing the rounds since the 50s :) It is "unclear" whether it is true.

Similarly "out of sight, out of mind" and "invisible idiot".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62664 on: July 07, 2020, 06:57:56 am »
Some examples

I severely doubt the veracity of this tale, as the word 'rotten' respectively its russian equivalent гнилой (gniloy) was shunned during soviet times.
Things weren't rotten, but rather in their 'third degree of freshness'.

I doubt the American AI was using a lookup table/dictionary that took into account the cultural nuances of the time. Unless the dictionary was provided by the USSR and was sanitised

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62665 on: July 07, 2020, 08:24:17 am »

i would think: KB4559309
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62666 on: July 07, 2020, 09:30:53 am »
Some of us will feel a little satisfaction that this is still up for sale :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVO-multimeter-with-Broad-Arrow-working-lamp/153997147802

And if it acts as a trigger point for others, then I say sorry heh heh heh <sound of Muttley sniggering>.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62667 on: July 07, 2020, 09:37:55 am »
I still think it looks like a black and white minstrel suddenly had a good idea.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62668 on: July 07, 2020, 10:15:14 am »
Some of us will feel a little satisfaction that this is still up for sale :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVO-multimeter-with-Broad-Arrow-working-lamp/153997147802

And if it acts as a trigger point for others, then I say sorry heh heh heh <sound of Muttley sniggering>.

i refused to hit the "say thanks" button on this post.

we need another button that says "bleeeeech!"
free range primate

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62669 on: July 07, 2020, 10:16:18 am »
Some examples

That's been doing the rounds since the 50s :) It is "unclear" whether it is true.

Similarly "out of sight, out of mind" and "invisible idiot".

I dont know of any translator that is good in translating idioms and phrases. Its probably easy to trick a machine translator that does not know about the "hidden" meaning.
If you are depressed, you could try to use a book about idioms, proverbs and bonmots and google translate it to a language not too close to the culture of origin and then back. :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62670 on: July 07, 2020, 10:26:16 am »
I still think it looks like a black and white minstrel suddenly had a good idea.

Oh, bloody hell. You're not going to cross post it to that thread. Are you?

And don't, whatever you do, look at these advertising collectibles from my (our?) youth!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62671 on: July 07, 2020, 10:32:24 am »
No definitely not cross posting it there  :-DD.

We had a fair collection going of that stuff. It was all sold on ebay in the mid 00's for quite a lot of money. Enid Blyton has a lot to answer for there as well :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62672 on: July 07, 2020, 11:06:47 am »

Oh, bloody hell. You're not going to cross post it to that thread. Are you?

And don't, whatever you do, look at these advertising collectibles from my (our?) youth!

OMG.....my former lady cop would go completely wacko if she saw that.  :scared: :scared:

Including those black jockey statues holding a lantern.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62673 on: July 07, 2020, 11:55:28 am »

PSU deal arrived.... lets do some flipping..

This one is a keeper, needs lots of TLC   :-/O
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62674 on: July 07, 2020, 11:57:33 am »
Those Farnell E series supplies are pretty nice and very small. I did a refurb on one a couple of years ago. Will see if I can dig out the post

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf