Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549232 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, MVSantos and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62700 on: July 07, 2020, 04:17:47 pm »
To return the favour, here's one for the Norte Americanos to have a tilt at:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-HP-Agilent-Model-4261A-L-C-R-METER/153989166173
[/color][/size][/b]

So that one expired with no bids at all.  I was hoping it might get re-listed at a much lower price, since that is still expensive in Canadian pesos.  Will have to wait and see....

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62701 on: July 07, 2020, 04:21:57 pm »
Those two 48V 125A battery chargers went unsold, relisted at £20 + £35 p&p each.

Stupid bloody PO has reduced hours, meaning I can't return the fake Hakko until Friday, due to work hours.   :rant:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62702 on: July 07, 2020, 04:22:38 pm »
Those two 48V 125A battery chargers went unsold, relisted at £20 + £35 p&p each.

Stupid bloody PO has reduced hours, meaning I can't return the fake Hakko until Friday, due to work hours.   :rant:

Gives you more time to wipe your arse on it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62703 on: July 07, 2020, 04:24:37 pm »
Oh hell I'd forgotten how bad it was. Just clicked through about 20 seconds of it and I'm done  :palm:. I remember having to watch it at my grandmother's house on a tiny little tube black and white TV that smelled of a combination of death and hot cigarette tar.

Even without that smell, it was an exquisite form of torture. Enough to scar you for life.

OTOH, you can use it as a gambit to shut youngsters up along the lines of "You think you've got problems? See what we had to deal with".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62704 on: July 07, 2020, 04:28:01 pm »
Oh hell I'd forgotten how bad it was. Just clicked through about 20 seconds of it and I'm done  :palm:. I remember having to watch it at my grandmother's house on a tiny little tube black and white TV that smelled of a combination of death and hot cigarette tar.

Even without that smell, it was an exquisite form of torture. Enough to scar you for life.

OTOH, you can use it as a gambit to shut youngsters up along the lines of "You think you've got problems? See what we had to deal with".

Indeed. Here's another one from the 70s/80s:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62705 on: July 07, 2020, 04:29:01 pm »
Some of us will feel a little satisfaction that this is still up for sale :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVO-multimeter-with-Broad-Arrow-working-lamp/153997147802

And if it acts as a trigger point for others, then I say sorry heh heh heh <sound of Muttley sniggering>.

This would look much better with a nice art nouveau lampshade on it.

I also don't like the LED filament lamp, better to keep it in period and use some valves with the heaters overdriven for extra light.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62706 on: July 07, 2020, 04:54:14 pm »

Indeed. Here's another one from the 70s/80s:

<image deleted on the grounds of good taste>

Yes, but at least I the decency to hide the "top shelf stuff" so that the reader had to explicitly click before being exposed to the full depravity.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62707 on: July 07, 2020, 05:32:44 pm »
[/color][/size][/b]

So that one expired with no bids at all.  I was hoping it might get re-listed at a much lower price, since that is still expensive in Canadian pesos.  Will have to wait and see....

not listed on the seller's page any more, so it might be gone now. i was tempted, too, but the seller didn't answer my email with questions, which is hardly ever a good sign.

specialization is for insects.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62708 on: July 07, 2020, 05:51:46 pm »
   PSU deal arrived.... lets do some flipping..   

Are you quite sure that you've got enough of 'em Tony?  :)

Needed two and maybe a spare... trying to prevent to use switched ones for some applications... but the seller gave free shipping and very nice price if i buy all, so i did  :palm:   i am sure more HAMs like these becouse of switching PSU give QRM on HF.. Will sell most of then.. i think  :-DD

I had about 30 pieces of similar TrippLite 13.8V/3A that were sitewide pulls from a network.

Flipped them quick for average ~$30 each; you know the drill: start out at $40, then by the time you've saturated the market you're blowing them out at $20 each...  :-DD

mnem
 :bullshit:

Thats the plan ;)

Ok, I've set my alarm for September 2023, when I'll be buying one from you for €10 :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, FransW, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62709 on: July 07, 2020, 06:01:05 pm »
[/color][/size][/b]

not listed on the seller's page any more, so it might be gone now. i was tempted, too, but the seller didn't answer my email with questions, which is hardly ever a good sign.

Plus I wouldn't want to spend as much as it was listed for sans test fixtures. It's kinda like RF power meters...the meter itself is literally a dime a dozen without a sensor.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62710 on: July 07, 2020, 06:12:07 pm »
That was my parents favourite TV show, cringe worthy now though :--
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #62711 on: July 07, 2020, 06:13:32 pm »

Plus I wouldn't want to spend as much as it was listed for sans test fixtures. It's kinda like RF power meters...the meter itself is literally a dime a dozen without a sensor.

But, as was asked upthread, and I sorta guessed, those 5 terminals are 2 drive, 2 sense and one guard, right? So a Kelvin clip lead would in theory suffice?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62712 on: July 07, 2020, 06:24:32 pm »

Yeah, I know that feeling, our PO was on reduced hours but have now gone back to normal hours.

Quick question for you, on your Thurlby 1905a, did you ever update the input sockets for shrouded ones at all? I'm thinking about doing that but also slightly worried about the membrane panel getting damaged in the process of enlarging the 8mm holes to 12mm to accept the three sockets?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62713 on: July 07, 2020, 06:31:28 pm »

They're effing AWESOME!    ...
mnem
*sigh*
[/quote]

Almost all the Lambda supplies are works of art. Here is an LES-EE-03-OV 0-36VDC/14.5A Lambda switcher. I'd hate to think what it cost new. Still works great.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62714 on: July 07, 2020, 06:51:13 pm »

But, as was asked upthread, and I sorta guessed, those 5 terminals are 2 drive, 2 sense and one guard, right? So a Kelvin clip lead would in theory suffice?

I think so but I haven't dived into the manual to see. That's on my to do list. Unfortunately it is, last time I checked, item number two hundred thirty seven.   :palm:
specialization is for insects.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62715 on: July 07, 2020, 06:59:58 pm »

AFFIRMATIVE. (I had one until last year, which found a new home with EroShan)

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62716 on: July 07, 2020, 07:24:13 pm »
If you wonder... i opened them all  :-/O

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62717 on: July 07, 2020, 07:45:26 pm »
hey bd

ummmmm.

wtf?

free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62718 on: July 07, 2020, 07:55:50 pm »
hey bd

ummmmm.

wtf?

Good spot that, do our eyes deceive us, is that an "=" button? So not a true RPN fanboy then  :palm: :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62719 on: July 07, 2020, 08:04:26 pm »
hey bd

ummmmm.

wtf?

Good spot that, do our eyes deceive us, is that an "=" button? So not a true RPN fanboy then  :palm: :-DD :-DD :-DD

Uh oh.....me thinks the shit is about to hit the fan.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I'll make lots of popcorn.  :popcorn: :popcorn:  ;D ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62720 on: July 07, 2020, 08:14:53 pm »
Wow, cracking service from an eBay seller, that Robin insulation tester I purchased Sunday for just £22, currently on sale on RS and other places for £342, was dispatched yesterday allegedly by 2nd class recorded post, arrived today and was just as advertised, missing its soft case, probes and battery cover.

Stuffed 6 AA batteries in it and powered it up, perfectly working, grabbed the Avo and done a insulation test on those pesky switch contact rings, and I got a reading of >2.2G ohms @ 1031V, winner, winner, chicken dinner. Also did a insulation test between the various cores of the ribbon cable (spec says rated @ 300V) and I got readings no less than the resistance of the range resistors connected across them and that was also @ 1031V so a I'm a very happy bunny indeed.

The bonus feature of this tester is that it provides extremely stable test voltages of 264V, 525V and 1031V so can also do double duty as a more than adequate voltage reference for calibration of my bench meters, whats not to like  :-+

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62721 on: July 07, 2020, 08:16:19 pm »
hey bd

ummmmm.

wtf?

Uh oh.....me thinks the shit is about to hit the fan.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I'll make lots of popcorn.  :popcorn: :popcorn:  ;D ;D
Caramel flavour please, Med  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62722 on: July 07, 2020, 08:33:22 pm »
bd?

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62723 on: July 07, 2020, 08:34:23 pm »
I shall tell a tale which explains this unfortunate picture. I had a troubled history, filled with ambiguity and slavery to the ungodly symbol of execution, arbiter of all computational decisions. After much disgruntlement I studied the underground texts which spoke of different notations guided by brackets and unusual ordering. After finding the one true answer I thrust off the chains and stepped forward into a new world of operator equality where every function could choose its own arity and destiny. Where arguments queued orderly and with joy. The pastures are green and unmuddied and with such ungodly restraints cast adrift I can elevate my progression to the singularity. This is my tale. That was my past, of which I am ashamed.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, worsthorse, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62724 on: July 07, 2020, 08:52:22 pm »
far be it from me to criticize the odd belief systems of others, or sins in the distant past.

i will trouble you no more about that picture. 

edit   i think you owe med for all that popcorn which will now go to waste.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:55:00 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf