Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14827338 times)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62725 on: July 07, 2020, 08:54:50 pm »

Plus I wouldn't want to spend as much as it was listed for sans test fixtures. It's kinda like RF power meters...the meter itself is literally a dime a dozen without a sensor.

But, as was asked upthread, and I sorta guessed, those 5 terminals are 2 drive, 2 sense and one guard, right? So a Kelvin clip lead would in theory suffice?

In theory, but for the prices some of these sellers seem to think they are worth I want kelvin leads thrown in! My 4262A came with the HP kelvin leads and the little kelvin fixture that you can stick the leads of a component into.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62726 on: July 07, 2020, 09:00:53 pm »
I shall tell a tale which explains this unfortunate picture. I had a troubled history, filled with ambiguity and slavery to the ungodly symbol of execution, arbiter of all computational decisions. After much disgruntlement I studied the underground texts which spoke of different notations guided by brackets and unusual ordering. After finding the one true answer I thrust off the chains and stepped forward into a new world of operator equality where every function could choose its own arity and destiny. Where arguments queued orderly and with joy. The pastures are green and unmuddied and with such ungodly restraints cast adrift I can elevate my progression to the singularity. This is my tale. That was my past, of which I am ashamed.
Ah! Another order of operations thread.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62727 on: July 07, 2020, 09:07:57 pm »
There is only one true order! Does the general rule his armies from between his soldiers or from above?

Disclaimer: may have drank a bottle of wine this evening  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #62728 on: July 07, 2020, 09:15:46 pm »
There is only one true order! Does the general rule his armies from between his soldiers or from above?

When I was in our military, a couple years ago (very posh desk job, all civilian dress) the officers led from within. Mostly.

On drinking a bottle of wine, a practice I endorse, some of the negative consequences can be mitigated by this little device, which allows one to stop drinking without ruining a perfectly good bottle.

I have, to return on-topic, both kinds of calculators, country and western.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62729 on: July 07, 2020, 09:22:56 pm »

From the front, in plate armour of course. Anything else is cowardice and modernist nonsense.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62730 on: July 07, 2020, 09:46:09 pm »
I shall tell a tale which explains this unfortunate picture. I had a troubled history, filled with ambiguity and slavery to the ungodly symbol of execution, arbiter of all computational decisions. After much disgruntlement I studied the underground texts which spoke of different notations guided by brackets and unusual ordering. After finding the one true answer I thrust off the chains and stepped forward into a new world of operator equality where every function could choose its own arity and destiny. Where arguments queued orderly and with joy. The pastures are green and unmuddied and with such ungodly restraints cast adrift I can elevate my progression to the singularity. This is my tale. That was my past, of which I am ashamed.

Only the penitent man shall pass...  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62731 on: July 07, 2020, 09:57:11 pm »
There is only one true order!

I wish someone would tell Casio that. I've owned two Casio calculators, and they couldn't agree on simp!e arithmetic operations.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62732 on: July 07, 2020, 10:11:18 pm »

>:D >:D >:D

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62733 on: July 07, 2020, 11:17:10 pm »

I'm glad I'm wearing boots and got a big shovel because this is some load of horseshit.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62734 on: July 08, 2020, 12:16:20 am »

I'm glad I'm wearing boots and got a big shovel because this is some load of horseshit.  :P :P :-DD
LMAO, I think perhaps I should run and grab the first aid kit to patch up the wounds when that soggy old wellington boot becomes airborne again  >:D :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #62735 on: July 08, 2020, 12:35:36 am »
redundant TE

??????????  Is that even a thing?  This borders on sacrilege and heresy. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62736 on: July 08, 2020, 12:57:25 am »
Borders hell! Catapaults them across the fjords like flinging a cow is more like it...! :-DD

mnem
fnord
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:59:49 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62737 on: July 08, 2020, 01:04:31 am »
Having already confirmed that the test voltage on the insulation tester was very stable by using my Brymen BM867 to measure it, which agreed with the displayed voltage on the insulation tester, I thought that I'd just run through all my bench meters and see how they performed before going to bed. I'm glad to say that they all agreed with the Brymen including the Blackstar 4503 which I had that hard fight with to restore it back to health after the cal data retention battery had died and leaked all over the PCB, causing the stored data in the battery backed ram to be lost.

I had to therefore perform a calibration from scratch on it and rebuild the cal data again, here are results at the higher end of the scale, which although I never had any DC voltages high enough to calibrate at the top of the higher ranges and hope and prayer that the meter would do the right internal calculation upwards from the 200VDC that I could just about get to around 195V, which it did flawlessly.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:37:21 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62738 on: July 08, 2020, 04:08:07 am »
Nice testicle massager.  >:D

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62739 on: July 08, 2020, 04:18:45 am »
There are times I wonder where your mind goes - let alone ask why it went there.....

... and I'm ever so glad to be left in the dark every now and then.  Like now.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62740 on: July 08, 2020, 04:57:54 am »
Quick question for you, on your Thurlby 1905a, did you ever update the input sockets for shrouded ones at all? I'm thinking about doing that but also slightly worried about the membrane panel getting damaged in the process of enlarging the 8mm holes to 12mm to accept the three sockets?

Nope, aside from a few age related marks and some dust, mine is as it left the factory.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62741 on: July 08, 2020, 07:13:02 am »

Plus I wouldn't want to spend as much as it was listed for sans test fixtures. It's kinda like RF power meters...the meter itself is literally a dime a dozen without a sensor.

But, as was asked upthread, and I sorta guessed, those 5 terminals are 2 drive, 2 sense and one guard, right? So a Kelvin clip lead would in theory suffice?

Yep. That's exactly what I made for mine.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62742 on: July 08, 2020, 09:06:21 am »
Finally found one. A plug-in extension for 560 series scopes. Apparently 2 types were made. A solid one like this one and another that was a cable with connectors.

This will allow me to troubleshoot the 3 plug-in's that need fixing. It should be here early next week.

:-+

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62743 on: July 08, 2020, 09:09:43 am »
There are times I wonder where your mind goes - let alone ask why it went there.....

... and I'm ever so glad to be left in the dark every now and then.  Like now.  :scared:

You know the electric prods used to move cattle? Useful on dragons too and preferred application right on the jewels.  >:D ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62744 on: July 08, 2020, 09:33:35 am »
That's not helping....

I'm now wondering how you would know that.... .... .... ....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62745 on: July 08, 2020, 10:44:14 am »
Maybe the next escalation step after licking?   :-//    :-DD 
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62746 on: July 08, 2020, 11:07:32 am »
I was looking for some cheap spectrum analyzers and found these two:
- an Anritsu boat anchor for audio stuff: 10Hz - 30MHz
- an Anritsu portable one 100kHz - 3GHz

The boat anchor:

The portable one:

I need a cheap SA for doing some basic RF stuff (checking signals of transmitters etc.)
and this portable one looks nice. But I'm not really impressed about the specs. what do you think?

Regarding the audio boat anchor: there was this discussion about using soundcards for audio purposes,
but some people had the opinion, that a dedicated SA is much better than these soundcards.
So I thought it could be interesting for some folks here. No affiliations with the sellers.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62747 on: July 08, 2020, 11:08:31 am »
Excuse me for a moment....

I think I'm going to crawl into a dark corner and have a nervous breakdown.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62748 on: July 08, 2020, 11:37:09 am »
I was looking for some cheap spectrum analyzers and found these two:
- an Anritsu boat anchor for audio stuff: 10Hz - 30MHz
- an Anritsu portable one 100kHz - 3GHz

The boat anchor:

The portable one:

I need a cheap SA for doing some basic RF stuff (checking signals of transmitters etc.)
and this portable one looks nice. But I'm not really impressed about the specs. what do you think?

Regarding the audio boat anchor: there was this discussion about using soundcards for audio purposes,
but some people had the opinion, that a dedicated SA is much better than these soundcards.
So I thought it could be interesting for some folks here. No affiliations with the sellers.

What about these:

i also have an Ansitsu, but its big and it does not much more than the USB one, but it looks cool on the desk ;-)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62749 on: July 08, 2020, 11:59:02 am »
This looks like a little nice device.
But my main complain about it is:
- Windows only software. at least I haven't found some Linux support

With a stand-alone device it doesn't matter which OS is running on your PC.
I have windows, but my main system to use is Linux.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf