Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550233 times)

McBryce, Jambalaya, factory, Vince and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63300 on: July 14, 2020, 07:27:23 pm »

And their sales staff is still greeting me with my first name and proposing stuff that I might want or need.

Uhuh. When there was still a decent toolmonger here (not a Hoffmann or other chain dependance) they had an insane grin fixed on their faces any time I came through that door. When they offer you a coffee, it has gone too far. I still have the invoice somewhere from a particularely bad day around 89'. It has 5 digits.

You should be glad that you don't live in Munich. Bürklin has a walk-in store there.

At least it was back  in the days of the Mark, five figures would be worse in Euros. I had to transfer 5 figures Sterling to the taxman today, and I don't get any fun toys out of it! (OK, my company had to pay the taxman, but as I'm the principal shareholder it still hurt.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63301 on: July 14, 2020, 07:30:14 pm »
hey cub

well they sure look the same.

my recollection is that mine was made by AEL in philly.  the navy bought boat loads of them (literally).

it is imho a piece of crap compared to a 5245/48.

the display boards are flimsy.  the nixies are bi-quinary. (bi-feckin'-quinary!).  the front panel layout is not intuitive. and the trigger is finicky and not reliable.

bama has TM's under  an-usm-207a.

oh crap.  the dragon is right. med will need some spare display boards for the 5248.  now what box are those in? (back to the basement).

Oh shit.  :palm: :-DD

*Passes out from the shock*

Oh my... I'd say the only proper solution will be to pile EVERY SUSPECT BOX in the basement into the back of med's little wagon... it's the ONLY way to be sure. >:D

mnem
See...? I'm Hellping....

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63302 on: July 14, 2020, 07:37:38 pm »

And their sales staff is still greeting me with my first name and proposing stuff that I might want or need.

Uhuh. When there was still a decent toolmonger here (not a Hoffmann or other chain dependance) they had an insane grin fixed on their faces any time I came through that door. When they offer you a coffee, it has gone too far. I still have the invoice somewhere from a particularely bad day around 89'. It has 5 digits.

You should be glad that you don't live in Munich. Bürklin has a walk-in store there.

At least it was back  in the days of the Mark, five figures would be worse in Euros. I had to transfer 5 figures Sterling to the taxman today, and I don't get any fun toys out of it! (OK, my company had to pay the taxman, but as I'm the principal shareholder it still hurt.)

LOL we clocked up a 5 figure AWS bill by accident this week just pissing around :-DD

Giving 50p to HMRC hurts me  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63303 on: July 14, 2020, 07:40:05 pm »
@IceTea your getting frisked reminds me of stuff happening at FFM airport.   <snip>

Frisked is when you still have your clothes on, right? In that case, I was not frisked.

As long as there was no cavity search involved, I'd say call it a good day...   ;)

mnem
Unless, of course, you're into that sortof thing; then by all means, feel cheated. :o
That might depend on whether you were carrying cavity filters or oscillators with you.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #63304 on: July 14, 2020, 07:42:13 pm »
Also, I HAVE noticed that you have a newer and probably more capable lock-in amplifier than me now, which is something I disapprove of. Totally.
(Off to look for SRS offers)

It looks like the unknown sibling of the SR510 ... just some features (and associated knobs) missing. Upper frequency limit around 110kHz. Couldn't find any manual or other data sheet.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63305 on: July 14, 2020, 07:46:10 pm »
What could one do with a Lock-In?

Tried to receive that British 60kHz time broadcast station (MSF, former Rugby), using an untuned ferrite antenna. DCF77 is for beginners here.
One could imagine 1 sec pulses.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:53:25 pm by capt bullshot »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63306 on: July 14, 2020, 07:48:01 pm »
Some fine TEA from Belgium arrived:

(Attachment Link)

:-X :popcorn:

Gave it a first try. Looks like an interesting failure, BTW what does E4 mean? I'd really have to read the manual now ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63307 on: July 14, 2020, 07:50:32 pm »
@IceTea your getting frisked reminds me of stuff happening at FFM airport.   <snip>

Frisked is when you still have your clothes on, right? In that case, I was not frisked.

As long as there was no cavity search involved, I'd say call it a good day...   ;)

mnem
Unless, of course, you're into that sortof thing; then by all means, feel cheated. :o
That might depend on whether you were carrying cavity filters or oscillators with you.

In that case... I recommend you make sure the device is powered on and/or connected to an appropriate high-power signal source before they conduct the search. You know; in the interest of procedural accuracy. >:D

mnem
*tzzzt*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #63308 on: July 14, 2020, 07:57:17 pm »
first licking smurfs and now into cavity searches.  :-DD a psychology major might read some things into that ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #63309 on: July 14, 2020, 07:59:16 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Gave it a first try. Looks like an interesting failure, BTW what does E4 mean? I'd really have to read the manual now ...

Heh. Dunno. Your problem, now son.
  :-+
Yeah, interesting. I wouldn't put too much stock in that failure, it boots up to something else every single time. Blank display. Gibberish. Error code. Whatever.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63310 on: July 14, 2020, 08:09:22 pm »

Heh. Dunno. Your problem, now son.
  :-+
Yeah, interesting. I wouldn't put too much stock in that failure, it boots up to something else every single time. Blank display. Gibberish. Error code. Whatever.

You can get it to start up consistently with E4 if you hold the Reset button while powering on.
- First one found: Power on reset borked.
- Next one: E4 means "Measuring Logic" Test failed. That's a nice one, promising some real bug hunting ... (no more today)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63311 on: July 14, 2020, 08:12:30 pm »
LOL we clocked up a 5 figure AWS bill by accident this week just pissing around :-DD

But, but, but, moving to the Cloud saves so much money, and makes you more Agile.  :)

I object to giving money to the Government, not because they might do something useful or worthwhile with it, but because they will piss it away on Consultants, devising new ways to be nasty to people and handing wodges of cash out to exactly the people who don't need any more of it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63312 on: July 14, 2020, 08:16:47 pm »
A common point in many of the recent accidents was that ATC was unaware of them. The reasons for this vary, but another sensing tool might be a remedy.

If they are flying in uncontrolled Class G airspace, then ATControl don't need to be aware of them and actually don't want to have to be aware of them. Awareness -> control -> responsibility -> too much workload.

In GA, if you see another aircraft you normally alter course to get of each other's way. If you are following a common feature (motorway, railway) and you don't see the aircraft doing the same in the other direction, then hopefully you will both have the feature on your left.

In gliding, OTOH, if you see another aircraft circling and going up, you think "oooh, lets go and play together". In extreme cases in competitions you can have situations that I rather doubt ATC want to be involved with, e.g. ...

Sensible? No. Fun? Looks it!

Please note I've previously made a point about top glider pilots pushing the envelope, and what can happen.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63313 on: July 14, 2020, 08:20:44 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Well yes, that is one of the classes of instrument where even ample T&M experience won't save you from having to do this.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63314 on: July 14, 2020, 08:28:45 pm »

But, but, but, moving to the Cloud saves so much money, and makes you more Agile.  :)

I object to giving money to the Government, not because they might do something useful or worthwhile with it, but because they will piss it away on Consultants, devising new ways to be nasty to people and handing wodges of cash out to exactly the people who don't need any more of it.

Actually the cloud turned me into a mystic healing preacher selling a lie to line my pockets with gold so I can safely distance myself from the impending “peak idiocy”. Gotta love a bandwagon.

Agree with government. I can still see one of those bastards in my head snooting coke in a bar through rolled up fifties made from my stock pay out tax bill.  >:(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63315 on: July 14, 2020, 08:36:41 pm »
Fuck me i bought something!

Fluke 8050A with RF probe, original probes, battery option and case in excellent condition for not much. Looks ex military.  Only thing is it’s completely dead. Reckon the fuse is popped and the nicads are toast. Hopefully not crusty!

Edit: picture

Edit 2: bet r26 is toast.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:49:36 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63316 on: July 14, 2020, 08:39:59 pm »

Excellent picture; looks like an F15 out of Lakenheath.

If he had balls he would try it in mountains without an engine - optionally in loose formation with other aircraft. Not for nothing do glider pilots refer to themselves as "rock polishers".

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63317 on: July 14, 2020, 08:43:23 pm »

But, but, but, moving to the Cloud Timesharing Bureaux Systems saves so much money, and makes you more Agile.  :)

Fixed that for you :)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #63318 on: July 14, 2020, 09:09:11 pm »

"Use the cloud, they said. It's going to save shitloads of money."

(Actually, probably still does, even with those fuckups.) 

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63319 on: July 14, 2020, 09:10:29 pm »
What could one do with a Lock-In?

Here is some inspiration from The Signal Path with a Stanford Research SR530.  :)

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, bd139, URI, FransW

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63320 on: July 14, 2020, 09:21:16 pm »
R&S FSEA30 with all sorts of goodies / options like I/Q modulation capability on the TG and the Vector Signal Analysis option.

Sitting below it is an HP 8642A signal generator.

Got a HP 5342A microwave counter for free with the above, unfortunately that seems to have a broken firmware ROM according to the selftest.

:D

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63321 on: July 14, 2020, 09:31:01 pm »
Picked up this nice bit of TEA recently,

Complete, apparently undamaged and very cheap, a Honeywell GTCP36-150RR
What you mean it 's not TEA, It's Turbine Engine Anonymous. Maybe that should be Hot TEAhttps://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif

The following users thanked this post: med6753, wolfy007, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63322 on: July 14, 2020, 09:42:25 pm »
Those pesky little thermocouple connectors are usually found all over the house - except when I need for once in several years to wire up a tc.   :horse:

Maybe I need to pretend to use a PT100 now?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:46:01 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63323 on: July 14, 2020, 09:48:03 pm »

[/quote]

Hey, if you can pick one up for $15, the USM-207 counter isn't all that bad! The timebase is pretty stable and can be ripped out and used as a standalone. The fan does sound like it's grinding walnuts.  8)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63324 on: July 14, 2020, 09:54:23 pm »
The fan does sound like it's grinding walnuts.  8)
Don't get all squirrely about it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf