Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562082 times)

Peter_O, cncjerry and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63425 on: July 15, 2020, 09:50:15 pm »
 >:( >:( my bank just went belly up and will face liquidation. let's hope the so called Einlagensicherung will jump in.  >:( >:( Bloody hell. Why does my life ruin my day every fucking day ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63426 on: July 15, 2020, 09:53:17 pm »
Random question. Decided I’m doing a full restoration on this fluke 8050A when it arrives. Factory condition or bust. Probably the latter but we’ll see.

That means I need to source some NiCd batteries. Does anyone know anyone in the UK that still stocks them?

Www.batteriesplus.co.UK. Painless transactions for some tagged sub-C NiCds.

I've used them before, a longish time ago.  Long enough ago that I can't remember if there was anything particularly good about using them, but not so long that I'd have forgotten if there was anything bad about them. So, that's a rather half-hearted recommendation for them; and it should be made clear that the half-heartedness is entirely down to caution about my half-memory not about the vendor.

Apparently I can’t add any nickel cadmium batteries to the basket on there.

So far TME is looking best bet. Will formulate an order as I need some other bits.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63427 on: July 15, 2020, 10:01:21 pm »
>:( >:( my bank just went belly up and will face liquidation. let's hope the so called Einlagensicherung will jump in.  >:( >:( Bloody hell. Why does my life ruin my day every fucking day ...

This is why it makes sense to only open accounts with "too big to fail" banks!  :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63428 on: July 15, 2020, 10:09:08 pm »

Well HELL...! I guess Canadian Tire really DOES have it all...  :-DD

Unlike my local grocery, where they just gave me a look like a tree full of owls when I asked where to look.  :palm:

mnem
FORE!!!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #63429 on: July 15, 2020, 10:18:35 pm »

This is why it makes sense to only open accounts with "too big to fail" banks!  :D
over here there are no too big to fail banks.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63430 on: July 15, 2020, 10:25:58 pm »
Random question. Decided I’m doing a full restoration on this fluke 8050A when it arrives. Factory condition or bust. Probably the latter but we’ll see.

That means I need to source some NiCd batteries. Does anyone know anyone in the UK that still stocks them?

I've used them before, a longish time ago.  Long enough ago that I can't remember if there was anything particularly good about using them, but not so long that I'd have forgotten if there was anything bad about them. So, that's a rather half-hearted recommendation for them; and it should be made clear that the half-heartedness is entirely down to caution about my half-memory not about the vendor.

So far TME is looking best bet. Will formulate an order as I need some other bits.

That's a tiny bit irritating. I was going to flog some of the 64 tagged subC cells I bought for £14 (nominally expired 9 months ago). Now I'll keep them for my fetish, Tek 1502s.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63431 on: July 15, 2020, 10:47:46 pm »

Working for banks on and off has made me think the only place to safely keep money is in bricks and gold.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63432 on: July 15, 2020, 10:48:42 pm »

That's a tiny bit irritating. I was going to flog some of the 64 tagged subC cells I bought for £14 (nominally expired 9 months ago). Now I'll keep them for my fetish, Tek 1502s.

Yeah I would keep hold of them. This 8050a is going to cost a few quid to restore by the looks. If it checks out it will be worth it though. It does relative dB measurements at specific impedances which is going to be very good for my audio projects coming up.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63433 on: July 15, 2020, 11:31:40 pm »
Quick update to my NGB 32 / 10.

Today I've replaced all the tantalums and electrolytic capacitors.
The main reason for the failure was this exploded tantalum C12 (shortened).
This caused a lot of havoc.
Dead parts so far:

- BD 139
- BD 140
- 3x BC 107B
- 5x LM 741
- 2x 1N823

The 1N823 I didn't have them in my stock, ordered some MIL-Spec ones from the bay.

Oh, and the original tantalums were rated with 16V. I've replaced them with 35V types, because they have to bear 15V.
No idea what R&S had in mind when designing this PSU.  |O   :-//

Will keep you updated.
Good night.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:33:53 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63434 on: July 15, 2020, 11:35:51 pm »
How hard is to repair the HP 34401A with this kind of error ( error 604 ) and "Bad display, Self test fail. 604 error, A/D convergence error. Front/ rear input switch missing.
Missing rear bezel and handle. eBay auction: #293578836763 ?
Because these 3 meters from the same seller goes for 148 USD, very tempting offer after reading the xdevs : https://xdevs.com/fix/hp34401a/

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #63435 on: July 15, 2020, 11:42:28 pm »
Spot the problem.

(Attachment Link)
I started off wondering what the heck is wrong with this picture.....?

Then I saw it.   :palm:  (The bruise should fade in a few days)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #63436 on: July 15, 2020, 11:53:42 pm »
Spot the problem.

(Attachment Link)

Is it really wrong though to heat sink a connector just to be on the safe side?  :-//

(joking of course)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:33:33 am by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #63437 on: July 15, 2020, 11:54:37 pm »
Spot the problem.

(Attachment Link)

This one  :palm: or this one ?  |O
 ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #63439 on: July 16, 2020, 12:29:52 am »
Got a local offer for TDK Lambda Genesys Series , 600V 1.3A DC PSU with a very decent price, I don't need it, what to do .. what to do ?  :palm: :scared:

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63440 on: July 16, 2020, 12:51:12 am »
Good point. I agree that they should have banned the things but only for consumer shit that ends up in landfill.

The crappo charger in the 8050A is guaranteed to cook your NiCds in a few months.

Then you have created more cadmium waste that has to be dealt with.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #63441 on: July 16, 2020, 01:09:02 am »
Got a local offer for TDK Lambda Genesys Series , 600V 1.3A DC PSU with a very decent price, I don't need it, what to do .. what to do ?  :palm: :scared:

It's neat, only 1RU and you just KNOW a use will materialise once you've got it. ... and for a decent price, it seems you're looking for TEA endorsement.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #63442 on: July 16, 2020, 01:12:58 am »
...  it seems you're looking for TEA endorsement.

Hate you when you're so damn right.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #63443 on: July 16, 2020, 01:18:23 am »
My damn post office managed to deliver another package to someone else.  :palm:  :wtf:  :horse:  >:(

This time it was the package of OEM Tek trimmer caps I ordered for the 585A. The seller has more, here's hoping they will send more if the post office can't find the first package. The PO claimed they are looking for it based on the GPS tag of the delivery scan...not holding my breath though. @med I decided to play it safe and not use the one you sent me for this application. However, several of the plugins use that style of trimmer so it may likely come in handy yet, as all but two need work.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:19:58 am by 0culus »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63444 on: July 16, 2020, 01:21:30 am »
How hard is to repair the HP 34401A with this kind of error ( error 604 ) and "Bad display, Self test fail. 604 error, A/D convergence error. Front/ rear input switch missing.
Missing rear bezel and handle. eBay auction: #293578836763 ?
Because these 3 meters from the same seller goes for 148 USD, very tempting offer after reading the xdevs : https://xdevs.com/fix/hp34401a/
The seller is fine, I have purchased a Fluke 8842A and a HP3468A from them, but that HP34401A, I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. Those switches are not standard ones, well the switch might be but not the push rods that operate them, they special cranked to make contact with the switch, which if you check them out are not on the same plain or in line with the button on the front panel.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: TorinoFermic

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63445 on: July 16, 2020, 01:42:18 am »
Quote from: Specmaster on Today at 21:18:23>Quote from: TorinoFermic on Today at 19:35:51
Missing rear bezel and handle.
eBay auction: #293578836763 ?
The seller is fine, I have purchased a Fluke 8842A and a HP3468A from them, but that HP34401A, I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. Those switches are not standard ones, well the switch might be but not the push rods that operate them, they special cranked to make contact with the switch, which if you check them out are not on the same plain or in line with the button on the front panel.
Good to know, I assumed the repair would be possible since xdevs.com could do the same according the same error for this ebay link in particular but I believe you.  :phew:

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63446 on: July 16, 2020, 01:50:38 am »

A German retail bank went belly up ? Who, when ?!?!

DC1MC

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #63447 on: July 16, 2020, 02:20:34 am »

So - you know what you should do then.   >:D

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #63448 on: July 16, 2020, 02:52:58 am »

So - you know what you should do then.   >:D

Yeah, just found one, a really luxurious and overkill apparatus in reforming old HV electrolytic capacitors.  :palm:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #63449 on: July 16, 2020, 02:57:18 am »
Pics when it arrives .....  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf