Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14913117 times)

marcumr and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63925 on: July 20, 2020, 10:14:22 pm »
@bitseeker

Congrats to 5 years of membership in the EEVBlog.  ;D  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63926 on: July 20, 2020, 10:17:43 pm »
:-DD

Put offer on something else. Going batshit this week  :-DD

Edit: oh I need a calibrated voltage reference. What’s currently in vogue?

Edit 2: offer accepted and I own an HP 6206B now which looks considerably less skanky than that last one I bought :-DD

If you would living next to me, I'd lend you my Fluke 3330B calibrator.  8)
What I can offer is:
I'm having the parts for a Geller-Lab 10V Reference, I have a DMM-Check plus from Mr. Malone
and several other References here, including a nice 10kOhm resistor.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63927 on: July 20, 2020, 10:19:00 pm »
Does anyone round here own a Tek 2430/2440 AND a Tek 2445/2465/2467 (without DMM hump)?
My interest is whether the front cover of the latter does fit the former too.

Yes. I have a 2430 as well as a 2465 without DMM. I also have a 2465 with DMM. I have a cover for the 2465 with DMM. I don't have a cover for either the 2430 or 2465 without DMM. The 2465 without DMM has a tab on each side of the bezel that the cover will snap on to. The 2430, while it appears to be the same size, does not have these tabs. So I suspect the covers are not interchangeable. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63928 on: July 20, 2020, 10:24:36 pm »
   So... just to silence that little niggling in the back of my brain... I went to my favorite TE Recycler, Alltest, and looked in their stock. I found a dropped & abused 54645AN that still powers up with a bright crisp screen & nice square grid for $65... and another $65 shipping to the GWN.  ::)

I don't need another project. But I feel sorry for the poor thing...  |O

I know these things had a problem with the soft keys wearing out and becoming unresponsive... any other gotchas, severe or otherwise...?

mnem
*wibble*

I suspect Alltest make most of it's money on overblown shipping.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63929 on: July 20, 2020, 10:28:36 pm »

Edit 2: offer accepted and I own an HP 6206B now which looks considerably less skanky than that last one I bought :-DD

I have one of these little units, pretty good value IMO https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Precision-Voltage-Reference-Module-AD584kH-4-Channel-2-5V-7-5V-5V-10V-E5Y4/123288497969 or if your feeling slightly less of a cheapskate you could go for one of these, I can also vouch for this as I also have one and will also do DC current upto 24mA in 0.001mA increments if required https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASTECH-MS7221-Voltage-Current-Calibrator-DC-Current-Loop-DC-Voltage-Tester/322099341828 or there is one of these 2nd hand in the UK complete with its metal carrying case etc https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASTECH-MS7221-VOLT-mA-Calibrator-Measurement-Tool-With-High-Accuracy-Display/153757995297 .
Perfect. Will order the cheap one  :-DD. Thank you  :-+

Just remember that those cheap AD584 are not really calibrated.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63930 on: July 20, 2020, 10:31:18 pm »
   So... just to silence that little niggling in the back of my brain... I went to my favorite TE Recycler, Alltest, and looked in their stock. I found a dropped & abused 54645AN that still powers up with a bright crisp screen & nice square grid for $65... and another $65 shipping to the GWN.  ::)

I know these things had a problem with the soft keys wearing out and becoming unresponsive... any other gotchas, severe or otherwise...?

mnem
*wibble*

I've bought form Alltest several times and I've found that the description of their damaged/not working equipment is accurate and honest. Since they are located in NJ shipping is very reasonable and I get the stuff overnight. And their packaging is excellent.  :-+ 

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63931 on: July 20, 2020, 10:41:13 pm »

mnem
*wibble*

I've bought form Alltest several times and I've found that the description of their damaged/not working equipment is accurate and honest. Since they are located in NJ shipping is very reasonable and I get the stuff overnight. And their packaging is excellent.  :-+

I agree that their description is normally accurate. Ordered once from them and packaging was good too. Not sure why they don't use GSP when shipping outside the US.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63932 on: July 20, 2020, 10:42:23 pm »

I have one of these little units, pretty good value IMO https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Precision-Voltage-Reference-Module-AD584kH-4-Channel-2-5V-7-5V-5V-10V-E5Y4/123288497969 or if your feeling slightly less of a cheapskate you could go for one of these, I can also vouch for this as I also have one and will also do DC current upto 24mA in 0.001mA increments if required https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASTECH-MS7221-Voltage-Current-Calibrator-DC-Current-Loop-DC-Voltage-Tester/322099341828 or there is one of these 2nd hand in the UK complete with its metal carrying case etc https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASTECH-MS7221-VOLT-mA-Calibrator-Measurement-Tool-With-High-Accuracy-Display/153757995297 .

That's true but it helps if they were checked and documented before shipment like mine were. So at least you have a starting point and even my Fluke 8505A cross checks. My understanding is many of them do not have the measured voltages documented so you really can't determine what it's actual output is until it's checked with a known good source.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63933 on: July 20, 2020, 10:46:47 pm »

mnem
*wibble*

I agree that their description is normally accurate. Ordered once from them and packaging was good too. Not sure why they don't use GSP when shipping outside the US.

They have always used FedEx here.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63934 on: July 20, 2020, 10:47:47 pm »

That's true but it helps if they were checked and documented before shipment like mine were. So at least you have a starting point and even my Fluke 8505A cross checks. My understanding is many of them do not have the measured voltages documented so you really can't determine what it's actual output is until it's checked with a known good source.

I heard many peoples are receiving exactly the same calibration note when ordering multiple references  :)

Now if the calibration seam legit, do you really trust the 34401a they used for calibration ? do you think they re-calibrate their reference meter every years at Keysight ? :)

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63935 on: July 20, 2020, 10:50:22 pm »

mnem
*wibble*

Global Shipping Program (GSP) is just an option they need to activate on their listing. Not sure if ebay is charging them something. The package go to some forwarder in the US and they cross the border in bulk and re-ship on the other side. From what I understand ebay is taking care of everything. They just need to ship to the depot in the US with their preferred service.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:52:02 pm by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63936 on: July 20, 2020, 10:51:44 pm »

I heard many peoples are receiving exactly the same calibration note when ordering multiple references  :)

Now if the calibration seam legit, do you really trust the 34401a they used for calibration ? do you think they re-calibrate their reference meter every years at Keysight ? :)

Well if you notice the voltages between the 2 references are different. And guess what? That agrees with my tribe of DMM's. So yes, I would say, in my case at least, it is legit.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63937 on: July 20, 2020, 10:53:53 pm »

mnem
*wibble*

Not at all. They pack CORRECTLY for test gear... ALL gear they sell gets the "Thermonuclear Protection" treatment; that doesn't come cheap. New double-wall boxes, foam-in-place padding and a couple layers of bubble-wrap at the juicy center makes sure you get EXACTLY what you buy. I have no quibble with their end of shipping; I've bought several pieces from them now and they all came packed like this. They charged me a whopping $24 for this packing and USPS 2-Day.  :-+

med, you live just across the river from them. Of course FEDEX is cheap & quick to your house. ;)

It's eBay Global Shipping that's hosing me here, just like they do with most of the vendors on the US site. Very few ship to Canada directly from their own warehouses anymore; they use eGSP because eBay will penalize them on dispute resolution if they don't, even if they pack like this. |O  eGSP will cut this package open, see it's packed perfectly, then seal it up, slap their label on it and claim they repackage everything to justify doubling the shipping cost. :palm:

mnem
 :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:03:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63938 on: July 20, 2020, 10:58:32 pm »
Ho so they use GSP. Not sure why it's so expensive then.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63939 on: July 20, 2020, 11:00:07 pm »

Well if you notice the voltages between the 2 references are different. And guess what? That agrees with my tribe of DMM's. So yes, I would say, in my case at least, it is legit.

It's a good indicator at best but I wouldn't call them calibrated.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63940 on: July 20, 2020, 11:07:38 pm »

Agreed. But with 2 of them and knowing a starting point if something goes south I'll get a warning.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63941 on: July 20, 2020, 11:13:46 pm »

Agreed. But with 2 of them and knowing a starting point if something goes south I'll get a warning.

Agreed, good idea to have 2 of them  :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63942 on: July 20, 2020, 11:32:57 pm »
That's actually exactly what I was expecting, honestly. A gamble on whether the BNCs had been damaged, and board repair if so.

Still... part of me wants to save the poor damned thing; if only the shipping weren't so fukkin' unreal to up here.

mnem
grr. arg.
The soft buttons can be reactivated by a drop of silver paint  on the button and there is also conductive paint that can also be used.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #63943 on: July 20, 2020, 11:39:58 pm »
I got a TDS210 in almost mint condition with the recall fix and new CCFL tube installed, complete with the communications module.
I even resoldered the BNC's so no wibble-wobble at all.

I'll swap for a Siglent SDS1104X-E and I'll even throw in a serial cable!  :-DD

That reminds me I need to check this one for the fix. I get the feeling it hasn't been done. I'm not too bothered as it's not going near anything where it'll end up as the main path to earth though. Might just leave it.
Trying to catch up.......
Here's the link to check if your TDS210 needs the recall fix:
https://www.tek.com/service/safety/tds210-tds220
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63944 on: July 20, 2020, 11:50:16 pm »
For whats it worth I can also endorse that seller Altest, I Have purchased a few meters from and even with the eGSP costs, I don't feel I've got a bad deal from them. They have all been sold as not working or no further testing done but by carefully examining the photos and reading the description you can get a pretty good feel for the likelihood of being able get them working correctly. In fact mnementh did a write up about them and how check the photos etc that was listed in the POI and the start of this thread, but I don't seem to ba able find at the moment, though.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:02:28 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #63945 on: July 21, 2020, 01:08:44 am »
On the subject of LCD monitors, forget Korean made, and go OG Japanese with Eizo monitors. Fantastic screens and they supply to medical and colour grading critical applications so they are legit.

Go see what their 4K, full adobe gamut screens with built-in calibration are worth, pick yourself up off the floor then go look at their consumer lines for normal prices.  ;D
I love my sRGB capable screen, it always calibrated well and works well. The only problem is that is isn't full Adobe gamut, but my bank account says NO!... :D

On another note, my favourite local junk store provided me with yet another new toy. A fully working Advantest TR6142 DC Volt/Current source, the old type with trimpots for calibration instead of the newer battery backed RAM type, and it all seems to work fine. :)
Not bad for 4500yen...

I think I'll maybe replace the single turn trimpots with some nice Bourns multi-turn trimpots so I can really get this thing dialled in nice and tight.  :-/O

The case is a little scratched up, so I'm still contemplating if it needs a new coat of paint...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63946 on: July 21, 2020, 01:36:26 am »
Global Shipping Program (GSP) is just an option they need to activate on their listing. Not sure if ebay is charging them something. The package go to some forwarder in the US and they cross the border in bulk and re-ship on the other side. From what I understand ebay is taking care of everything. They just need to ship to the depot in the US with their preferred service.

The problem, as I understand it, is that "taking care" is used in the same sense as in this snippet of dialogue: "Hey Knuckles, take this guy out the back and take care of him". I'm afraid that GSP's reputation for shoddy packaging and handling precedes them. I would not be surprised if a vendor tried GSP for a while and then dumped it as the "damaged in transit" returns started getting too frequent.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63947 on: July 21, 2020, 02:23:51 am »

The problem, as I understand it, is that "taking care" is used in the same sense as in this snippet of dialogue: "Hey Knuckles, take this guy out the back and take care of him". I'm afraid that GSP's reputation for shoddy packaging and handling precedes them. I would not be surprised if a vendor tried GSP for a while and then dumped it as the "damaged in transit" returns started getting too frequent.

If I have to be honest, I only had good experience with GSP. The only time where something was damaged during shipping, ebay took the hit. Seller kept his money and I got a free Lecroy DDA-260  :)

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63948 on: July 21, 2020, 02:42:03 am »
On another note, my favourite local junk store provided me with yet another new toy. A fully working Advantest TR6142 DC Volt/Current source, the old type with trimpots for calibration instead of the newer battery backed RAM type, and it all seems to work fine. :)
Not bad for 4500yen...

Nice find  :-+

Those are normally super expensive over here.

Dave made a video on the TR6142 a while ago https://youtu.be/tSzem8xshxk

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, TERRA Operative

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63949 on: July 21, 2020, 02:59:16 am »
Ho so they use GSP. Not sure why it's so expensive then.

Because you're paying for shipping twice, and for repacking whether they do it or not, plus a little extra vig for handling the oh-so-difficult business of handling the import duty fees which they charge you separately.  :palm:

mnem
In short: Because they can. ::)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf