Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14829646 times)

Vince, wkb and 88 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64275 on: July 24, 2020, 05:47:00 pm »
update from the belly-up-bank:
received reimbursement today.
Hubby probably did, as well (can't look, no access to his account)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64276 on: July 24, 2020, 05:48:25 pm »
Bloody Murphy gets yah everytime when your not paying enough attention  :rant: >:D There I was modifying the input jacks on my Solarton 7150 Plus to be of the shrouded type (something I previously thought was not possible until TorinoFermic posted a link in last weeks Discord session). Done all the replacement of the jacks, just in the process of refitting the changeover switch for the jacks from front to rear sockets when the switch fell apart. Now I need a replacement 8 pole pushbutton latching changeover switch and the biggest one I can find is a 6 pole :palm:

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate on from?

I've tried all of the more obvious ones like RS, Mouser, Rapid, CPC, Digikey and Bitsbox etc, even eBay and 6 pole is the highest  :o

Oh that sucks. What's broken on it? It's not obvious from your pix. Anyway to repair it?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64277 on: July 24, 2020, 05:50:06 pm »
Bloody Murphy gets yah everytime when your not paying enough attention  :rant: >:D There I was modifying the input jacks on my Solarton 7150 Plus to be of the shrouded type (something I previously thought was not possible until TorinoFermic posted a link in last weeks Discord session). Done all the replacement of the jacks, just in the process of refitting the changeover switch for the jacks from front to rear sockets when the switch fell apart. Now I need a replacement 8 pole pushbutton latching changeover switch and the biggest one I can find is a 6 pole :palm:

I've tried all of the more obvious ones like RS, Mouser, Rapid, CPC, Digikey and Bitsbox etc, even eBay and 6 pole is the highest  :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382841428546

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #64278 on: July 24, 2020, 05:56:08 pm »

Try Sphere. They have lots of hard to find stuff. https://www.sphere.bc.ca/

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64279 on: July 24, 2020, 05:57:26 pm »
I think you have older tech in mind; pretty sure the newer stuff runs higher frequency because square wave.  ??? There's a difference between "best" and "can't". Worst case I can only TIG sheet/tube aluminum; I've done that with DC. :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

Bluntly, you're wrong.  You can weld Al with aggressive flux and shielding gas with DC, but if you want to TIG it using standard TIG filler rod and techniques, you're gonna need AC. If you TIG weld Aluminium DCEP you'll get oxide cleaning, molten tungsten, and no penetration - if you can carry on for more than about 10 seconds you'll get some liquid tungsten added to your weld, if you weld DCEN you'll get no penetration and a gummy weld with oxide inclusions. You'll only get a good weld if you use AC.

Screenshot of a DCEN TIG weld of Aluminium, incidently -  made as a deliberate "how not to" by Justin who made the review video you posted:

What that weld would look like if done with AC (also Justin):

Use the Right Polarity

Many operators, especially those new to aluminum welding, may not realize the material generates an oxide layer. Oxidation on aluminum tends to be a dull silver color and is harder to see than red oxidation, or rust, on steel. In addition, the melting point of aluminum oxide is about three times the melting temperature of the base material.

Aluminum is conductive, so the heat of the weld puddle can be pulled away quickly. This characteristic requires putting in a lot of heat to establish the weld puddle, but controlling that heat is key to preventing a runaway puddle or burn-through.

Cleaning the oxide layer with a dedicated stainless steel wire brush or carbide cutter before welding is important. However, even with proper cleaning, the oxide layer begins re-forming immediately, which can obstruct your view of the weld puddle.

This makes it critical to use alternating current (AC) polarity with the GTAW process on aluminum. With AC, the direction of current flow continuously changes throughout the weld. AC polarity provides a cleaning action that helps remove the oxide layer on aluminum, allowing you to see the molten weld pool.

And no, I'm not thinking older tech. Find me a TIG welder with an AC frequency control that runs significantly above 200Hz, I can wait.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64280 on: July 24, 2020, 05:58:45 pm »

Sphere is ridiculously expensive to order from over here.

$5 knob? $50 insured delivery min  :palm:

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #64281 on: July 24, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »

Sphere is ridiculously expensive to order from over here.

$5 knob? $50 insured delivery min  :palm:

That's why you browse and find OTHER stuff you want and get a bigger order!!  :-DD

In all seriousness, that blows though. I didn't know it was that bad.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64282 on: July 24, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »

Thats bloody brilliant, order placed already, now I've just got to wait for the slow boat from China.

Strange, I couldn't find it, but then I did use the term "latching" rather than "stay put" on eBay  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64283 on: July 24, 2020, 06:04:26 pm »

Excellent!

If that happened here we'd still be waiting three months later.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64284 on: July 24, 2020, 06:06:36 pm »

Oh that sucks. What's broken on it? It's not obvious from your pix. Anyway to repair it?
Its the square plastic flange that retains the spring, 2 corners have become brittle over the years and snapped off, can't even find them to glue back on either.

Edit: In fact you can just spot one of them in the photo.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:10:48 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64285 on: July 24, 2020, 06:07:22 pm »

Brilliant news, I'm so pleased for you.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64286 on: July 24, 2020, 06:10:58 pm »

Thats bloody brilliant, order placed already, now I've just got to wait for the slow boat from China.

Strange, I couldn't find it, but then I did use the term "latching" rather than "stay put" on eBay  :-+

8PDT is the winning search phrase. Been there before  :-DD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64287 on: July 24, 2020, 07:11:52 pm »
Do you really need to switch the front/rear inputs? I'd just link it to the fronts.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64288 on: July 24, 2020, 07:27:08 pm »
I really wish you didn't post that pic.  Now I want one.  It's not MY FAULT!  I want one!
In this case, you could see more of it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/show-your-multimeter!/msg3152724/#msg3152724
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:28:42 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64289 on: July 24, 2020, 08:06:38 pm »
I think you have older tech in mind; pretty sure the newer stuff runs higher frequency because square wave.  ??? There's a difference between "best" and "can't". Worst case I can only TIG sheet/tube aluminum; I've done that with DC. :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

Bluntly, you're wrong.  You can weld Al with aggressive flux and shielding gas with DC, but if you want to TIG it using standard TIG filler rod and techniques, you're gonna need AC. If you TIG weld Aluminium DCEP you'll get oxide cleaning, molten tungsten, and no penetration - if you can carry on for more than about 10 seconds you'll get some liquid tungsten added to your weld, if you weld DCEN you'll get no penetration and a gummy weld with oxide inclusions. You'll only get a good weld if you use AC.

Screenshot of a DCEN TIG weld of Aluminium, incidently -  made as a deliberate "how not to" by Justin who made the review video you posted:

(Attachment Link)

What that weld would look like if done with AC (also Justin):

(Attachment Link)

Use the Right Polarity

Many operators, especially those new to aluminum welding, may not realize the material generates an oxide layer. Oxidation on aluminum tends to be a dull silver color and is harder to see than red oxidation, or rust, on steel. In addition, the melting point of aluminum oxide is about three times the melting temperature of the base material.

Aluminum is conductive, so the heat of the weld puddle can be pulled away quickly. This characteristic requires putting in a lot of heat to establish the weld puddle, but controlling that heat is key to preventing a runaway puddle or burn-through.

Cleaning the oxide layer with a dedicated stainless steel wire brush or carbide cutter before welding is important. However, even with proper cleaning, the oxide layer begins re-forming immediately, which can obstruct your view of the weld puddle.

This makes it critical to use alternating current (AC) polarity with the GTAW process on aluminum. With AC, the direction of current flow continuously changes throughout the weld. AC polarity provides a cleaning action that helps remove the oxide layer on aluminum, allowing you to see the molten weld pool.

And no, I'm not thinking older tech. Find me a TIG welder with an AC frequency control that runs significantly above 200Hz, I can wait.

Whatever dude. You can armchair QB this one all you want. I know about aluminum and the speed with which it oxidizes; and that you need to use a SS brush. Even between changing work angles on the work. And you really wanna store that brush so it doesn't get contaminated by other crap in the shop, too. They make rod for stick welding aluminum, and you can also use it as filler for DC TIG as long as the metal is thin enough.  :palm: I know it's the wrong way to do it, and gets no penetration; hence sheet metal and tube. Again... you're talking CAN'T vs best practice.

I don't like to stick weld with a coathanger either but I assure you it CAN be done, as I've done it when I had to. Not pretty, but welded nonetheless.

For fuck's SAKE man.

None of this REALLY matters... even if I CAN'T do aluminum with that little buzzbox I can still do ferrous; both stick and TIG. I could even do AL MIG with it if I wanted to spend the money on a spoolgun. There are plenty of applications here; $50 is nothing to throw at it. I spent more than that on pizza & wings for lunch.

mnem
 :palm:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:12:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64290 on: July 24, 2020, 08:35:58 pm »
If the welds don't hold use this.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64291 on: July 24, 2020, 09:11:03 pm »
As a software guy I approve of the use of glue when only a weld will suffice  :-DD

Edit: talking of which I have the need to buy this old crate. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303631205532
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:13:39 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64292 on: July 24, 2020, 09:31:48 pm »
I've got a huge parts order arriving today and then I will be busy ripping into stuff and re-capping.  >:D >:D

The parts have arrived and have been sorted by intended victim. I will not reveal who those victims are until after the evil deed is done.  >:D ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64293 on: July 24, 2020, 09:36:53 pm »
As a software guy I approve of the use of glue when only a weld will suffice  :-DD

Edit: talking of which I have the need to buy this old crate. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303631205532
Don't buy it, its never a good idea trying to relive past events, it's never as rosy as you thought it was IMO.  :o
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64294 on: July 24, 2020, 09:49:49 pm »
Yeah given up on that idea already and bought a TTi TG320 function generator.  :-DD

Edit: paid slightly over three going rate but I need one next week and I don’t want to pay 2.5-3x for something for casual analogue use and some TTL stuff. Has built in counter and digital readout though so I’m good.

Just need another decent DMM and I’m good to go on next project  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:54:08 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64295 on: July 24, 2020, 09:51:28 pm »
Whatever dude. You can armchair QB this one all you want. I know about aluminum and the speed with which it oxidizes; and that you need to use a SS brush. Even between changing work angles on the work. And you really wanna store that brush so it doesn't get contaminated by other crap in the shop, too. They make rod for stick welding aluminum, and you can also use it as filler for DC TIG as long as the metal is thin enough.  :palm: I know it's the wrong way to do it, and gets no penetration; hence sheet metal and tube. Again... you're talking CAN'T vs best practice.

I don't like to stick weld with a coathanger either but I assure you it CAN be done, as I've done it when I had to. Not pretty, but welded nonetheless.

For fuck's SAKE man.

None of this REALLY matters... even if I CAN'T do aluminum with that little buzzbox I can still do ferrous; both stick and TIG. I could even do AL MIG with it if I wanted to spend the money on a spoolgun. There are plenty of applications here; $50 is nothing to throw at it. I spent more than that on pizza & wings for lunch.

mnem
 :palm:

Y'know Mnem. It would be nice if just once in a while you admitted that you don't know everything about all things mechanical and admit that sometimes you've got it wrong. All this flows from me pointing out that it was a DC only box, and that's not suitable for TIG welding Aluminium. Anyone who knew their way around TIG would have gone "Good catch, thanks".

You however, seem to blow up like this every time someone brings up something that points out the limits of your knowledge and you start getting squirrelly and argumentative. On this one, everything I have ever learned about this from the guys who do it for a living, and from the guys who do it for a hobby, and from my welding textbooks says you're wrong. Nothing says it with as much clarity as much as that screen grab of a DCEN weld in Aluminium. That one could bodge it, or even weld with a coathanger is just distraction. It's not a question of "best practice" versus "the possible", it wasn't even a question until you made it one because all the rest of the world says "AC for TIG welding on Aluminium" and for some reason you choose to disagree with the rest of the world.

That you have held a welding torch and used it a few times does not make you the expert who's competent to disagree with all the acknowledged expertise from the field, and does not excuse you from accusing someone of being an "armchair QB" because they disagree with you based on that pool of knowledge. Not that it counts for anything, but I suspect that I made my first weld before you were born (MMA on angle iron, frame for the two Villiers 2 stroke motors from two scrapped 'invalid carriages*' for a hovercraft that I was building with my father, circa 1970).

* Yes, the Ministry of Health really did hand out these deathtraps to disabled people right up until some time in the 1970s:

That is a superior specimen. They were a common sight in my youth and were much rattier looking than that.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64296 on: July 24, 2020, 09:53:54 pm »

What, when you could use string from 15 different sources, all tied end to end into a cat's cradle and then use that to make the fixture? That's what I've learned from modern IT practice.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64297 on: July 24, 2020, 09:57:46 pm »

What, when you could use string from 15 different sources, all tied end to end into a cat's cradle and then use that to make the fixture? That's what I've learned from modern IT practice.

Actually in modern software practices we tell some guy in India to knit it together while we go to conferences (fashion shows) to find out what sort of string and poo to send to India.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64298 on: July 24, 2020, 10:02:27 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, 0culus, TorinoFermic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64299 on: July 24, 2020, 10:12:43 pm »

Actually in modern software practices we tell some guy in India to knit it together while we go to conferences (fashion shows) to find out what sort of string and poo to send to India.

And he subcontracts it to his Auntie.

(Anyone who knows Indian culture, particularly British Indian culture knows why Auntie is capitalized. I had an Indian co-worker, who describing a typical weekend in his household, said "And then the Aunties come over..." with a fear and awe in his voice that I've not heard before or since.  :) )

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf