Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14901752 times)

SashPlane and 154 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64325 on: July 25, 2020, 07:09:46 am »
While the wife is away, the husband will play...
Pulled all my HP gear out of my room to have a much needed tidy up... There's more there than I thought.  :phew:

I swear I don't have a problem, I can stop any time I want!

I just don't want to stop quite yet...  ;D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, bd139, Kosmic, 0culus, Saskia, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64326 on: July 25, 2020, 07:35:04 am »
Pulled all my HP gear out of my room to have a much needed tidy up... There's more there than I thought.  :phew:

Getting jelly of your DMM with usb port. I hope to win a bid and beat someone at something for cheap in DMM game.  :box:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #64327 on: July 25, 2020, 07:44:18 am »

I see a lot of floor space - you have a ways yet to go...   :P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #64328 on: July 25, 2020, 08:31:36 am »

I see a lot of floor space - you have a ways yet to go...   :P

-Pat

I needed to leave space for all the Tek gear to go. :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64329 on: July 25, 2020, 08:43:13 am »
Now there’s a professional at work  :-DD

Edit: today’s job is sit on my arse and do a TME order. RS, Farnell, Rapid and CPC have gone to shit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:16:01 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, TERRA Operative

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #64330 on: July 25, 2020, 09:51:59 am »
As a software guy I approve of the use of glue when only a weld will suffice  :-DD

Edit: talking of which I have the need to buy this old crate. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303631205532

Ooooh, SS2. I still have my first Real Computer, a SS IPC. Its RTC/NVRAM chip is IIRC fucked, but the rest is ok.

(A Real Computer is defined by its endianness and the fact that it is physically impossible to run Windows on it, except, perhaps, as a fully emulated VM)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64331 on: July 25, 2020, 09:53:56 am »
Now there’s a professional at work  :-DD

Edit: today’s job is sit on my arse and do a TME order. RS, Farnell, Rapid and CPC have gone to shit.

And what did that clinic determine? Cast or no cast?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64332 on: July 25, 2020, 09:56:39 am »
No cast as it’s stable but sling and wrist brace for 2-4 weeks to stop rotation.  Nice picture for you:

1032504-0

Has gone a bit more purple since that was taken a couple of days ago. Mobility is slowly coming back. Have to exercise it daily. Can touch face again now  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:59:05 am by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64333 on: July 25, 2020, 10:03:30 am »
As a software guy I approve of the use of glue when only a weld will suffice  :-DD

Edit: talking of which I have the need to buy this old crate. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303631205532

Ooooh, SS2. I still have my first Real Computer, a SS IPC. Its RTC/NVRAM chip is IIRC fucked, but the rest is ok.

(A Real Computer is defined by its endianness and the fact that it is physically impossible to run Windows on it, except, perhaps, as a fully emulated VM)

The guy is selling an IPC with an 811 disk enclosure as well. I gave up on the idea because I didn’t fancy finding NVRAM and an AUI/10baseT media converter so I could even TFTP boot it into netbsd or something.

Apparently you can emulate an SS2 now.

I actually had a fully stacked SPARCserver 1000E as a desktop for a bit. Until the electricity bill came in  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64334 on: July 25, 2020, 10:03:31 am »
That's good, I guess.  :-// I would think that without a cast it would be all too easy to knock the bones out of position before they had a chance to fuse and heal. But what do I know?  ;D 

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #64335 on: July 25, 2020, 10:04:06 am »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64336 on: July 25, 2020, 10:04:39 am »
No cast as it’s stable but sling and wrist brace for 2-4 weeks to stop rotation.  Nice picture for you:

(Attachment Link)

Has gone a bit more purple since that was taken a couple of days ago. Mobility is slowly coming back. Have to exercise it daily. Can touch face again now  :-DD
Good exercise for that is to keep clicking on the BIN tab on eBay  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64337 on: July 25, 2020, 10:09:18 am »
Hahaha

That's good, I guess.  :-// I would think that without a cast it would be all too easy to knock the bones out of position before they had a chance to fuse and heal. But what do I know?  ;D

Yeah best outcome fortunately. The bones are still well attached, just cracked a bit. Could have been much worse  :phew:.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64338 on: July 25, 2020, 10:13:31 am »
The GR connector adapters will be showing up today which makes all outstanding orders up to date. Can't have that. Must go out on Ebay and see what else I can scrounge up. Keep the delivery folks employed.  :D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64339 on: July 25, 2020, 10:16:06 am »
Hahaha

Yeah best outcome fortunately. The bones are still well attached, just cracked a bit. Could have been much worse  :phew:.

Oh OK, makes sense I guess. It was just a crack but not a complete fracture and separation of the bone.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #64340 on: July 25, 2020, 10:19:50 am »

The guy is selling an IPC with an 811 disk enclosure as well. I gave up on the idea because I didn’t fancy finding NVRAM and an AUI/10baseT media converter so I could even TFTP boot it into netbsd or something.

I actually had a fully stacked SPARCserver 1000E as a desktop for a bit. Until the electricity bill came in  :-DD

I've got a stash of AUI converters. Yours for the postage ;-) (Being evil I of course am only sending a 10Base2 one, of which I've got an abundance. The singlemode and twisted-pair ones are kept for a suitable day in the future... )

The RTC is, IIRC, stocked at at least Elfa here. And there are cool writeups on how to go about in FORTH to write new usable contents into one.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64341 on: July 25, 2020, 10:23:29 am »

I've got a stash of AUI converters. Yours for the postage ;-) (Being evil I of course am only sending a 10Base2 one, of which I've got an abundance. The singlemode and twisted-pair ones are kept for a suitable day in the future... )

The RTC is, IIRC, stocked at at least Elfa here. And there are cool writeups on how to go about in FORTH to write new usable contents into one.

Ooh 10base2. Has been a while  :-DD

As much as I’d love to, I’m going to pass on the SPARC thing this time. While it’s cool I’ve still got half a house full of Cisco crap I intercepted on the way to a skip to shift first  :palm:. Sold a 2901 and some EHWICs so far.

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64342 on: July 25, 2020, 10:37:45 am »
Hahaha

Lets address the big elephant in the room, will you still go out running after its all healed, this is after all the 2nd accident sustained in that way, maybe the 3rd one is a big one? :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64343 on: July 25, 2020, 10:47:20 am »
Will be fine. From this I learned not to run on gravel with trainers on  :-DD.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64344 on: July 25, 2020, 10:56:00 am »
What did you learn last time then? :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64345 on: July 25, 2020, 11:04:36 am »
Will be fine. From this I learned not to run on gravel with trainers on  :-DD.

:-// :-//

:P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #64346 on: July 25, 2020, 11:07:06 am »
What did you learn last time then? :-DD
FA
If you need to keep the weight off you need a younger woman......bd's not going there so it's gunna be a battle.

Maybe golf will be safest ?  :-//

Anyways, gotta get some sleep before Discord in the morning @ 9am downunder time....  :=\
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:15:18 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #64347 on: July 25, 2020, 11:17:45 am »
Hahaha

Sounds like my metatarsal fracture. Do what the quacks recommend, and if necessary fork out £40 to see a physiotherapist privately.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64348 on: July 25, 2020, 11:43:38 am »

(Attachment Link)

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64349 on: July 25, 2020, 01:03:29 pm »
A long, long time ago... in a galaxy far, far away...

...Been dere, dunnat, got the shirt full of pinhole burns already.  More like $300 when I did it ~15 years ago at Horror Fraught. ;)

I'm looking at this one as both a quick & dirty stick welder to get by with until my HFT MIG is back where it belongs, and as a future TIG power source for when I need to do fine work on SS/AL.

mnem
*tzzzzzzlllllzzzzzzllllzzzzzt* :-/O

Whatever dude. You can armchair QB this one all you want. I know about aluminum and the speed with which it oxidizes; and that you need to use a SS brush. Even between changing work angles on the work. And you really wanna store that brush so it doesn't get contaminated by other crap in the shop, too. They make rod for stick welding aluminum, and you can also use it as filler for DC TIG as long as the metal is thin enough.  :palm: I know it's the wrong way to do it, and gets no penetration; hence sheet metal and tube. Again... you're talking CAN'T vs best practice.

I don't like to stick weld with a coathanger either but I assure you it CAN be done, as I've done it when I had to. Not pretty, but welded nonetheless.

For fuck's SAKE man.

None of this REALLY matters... even if I CAN'T do aluminum with that little buzzbox I can still do ferrous; both stick and TIG. I could even do AL MIG with it if I wanted to spend the money on a spoolgun. There are plenty of applications here; $50 is nothing to throw at it. I spent more than that on pizza & wings for lunch.

mnem
 :palm:

Y'know Mnem. It would be nice if just once in a while you admitted that you don't know everything about all things mechanical and admit that sometimes you've got it wrong. All this flows from me pointing out that it was a DC only box, and that's not suitable for TIG welding Aluminium. Anyone who knew their way around TIG would have gone "Good catch, thanks".

You however, seem to blow up like this every time someone brings up something that points out the limits of your knowledge and you start getting squirrelly and argumentative. On this one, everything I have ever learned about this from the guys who do it for a living, and from the guys who do it for a hobby, and from my welding textbooks says you're wrong. Nothing says it with as much clarity as much as that screen grab of a DCEN weld in Aluminium. That one could bodge it, or even weld with a coathanger is just distraction. It's not a question of "best practice" versus "the possible", it wasn't even a question until you made it one because all the rest of the world says "AC for TIG welding on Aluminium" and for some reason you choose to disagree with the rest of the world.

That you have held a welding torch and used it a few times does not make you the expert who's competent to disagree with all the acknowledged expertise from the field, and does not excuse you from accusing someone of being an "armchair QB" because they disagree with you based on that pool of knowledge. Not that it counts for anything, but I suspect that I made my first weld before you were born (MMA on angle iron, frame for the two Villiers 2 stroke motors from two scrapped 'invalid carriages*' for a hovercraft that I was building with my father, circa 1970).

Soooo... looking over the exchange over my morning cuppa... yeah, it does look like I made a ass of myself.  :palm:  I'll cop to that. However, it's really not that simple either; it isn't exactly the way you describe here.

You didn't say "Hey, that's a DC only box; most of the time, low-frequency AC is better for aluminum." Maybe that's what you were THINKING... and maybe you really meant it that way... but what you said/did was to pick one word out of a list of possible uses in my post (aluminum wasn't even my primary intent... just one thing I'd done with DC TIG, way back when in the used-ta was), then go into a long, one-sided technical discussion that sounded for all the world like "You CAN'T".

I'm not going to claim that I've never pontificated... Ifni's sake, I know the exact opposite.  :palm:  I LOVE to pontificate. It's a nerd THING. :-[

So okay... I misunderstood what you were getting at... but then again, you didn't say it like "Hey; maybe you did this once upon a time, but it's like the worst way possible to get it done..." "casual banter with a buddy" conversation either.

From here, it looked like you were picking ONE NIT and just going off on it; saying you can't use it for that. A nit that wasn't EVEN mostly what I was into that little box for.  |O

The point I'm getting at here is... as with most misunderstandings, there's "D'OH!" enough to go around.

mnem
*Proffers bottle of apricot brandy as a token of peace*

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:19:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf