Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14916546 times)

Wolfgang and 245 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65050 on: July 31, 2020, 07:33:48 pm »
This just crossed my RADAR...

I've been researching Manitoba as it is one of the regions our lawyers suggested as being easier on immigration.  :o

https://nationalpost.com/news/gimlis-piles-of-stinking-fishfly-corpses-smell-like-money-for-some-in-the-manitoba-town

Mmmmokay... Year after year of "I've never seen them in these numbers..." videos. Because you know, global warming is a liberal conspiracy.  :palm:

*blerk*

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65051 on: July 31, 2020, 07:37:47 pm »
Yup 37.8 oC here today (100 oF in dumbass units  :-DD)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65052 on: July 31, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »
Agreed however... most non-ceramic capacitors, especially electrolytics, are livestock. They start dying of old age the minute they roll off the assembly line.

Eh? Polymer film capacitors, provided that they are operated within their design parameters, have an essentially unlimited life, so do air, vacuum, well made mica capacitors (there are specific failure modes for older mica capacitors that were less than carefully made). They are all just as long lived as ceramic caps (which remember are relatively brittle, and so can undergo failure for mechanical reasons). I think you can only place electrolytics (of all flavours) into the livestock category, and a suitably de-rated, well cared for, well made one can still last a very long time. You'll be worrying about electromigration in today's chips well before you'll be worrying about failures in a 1970s PTFE film capacitor.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, Cubdriver, bd139

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65053 on: July 31, 2020, 08:00:34 pm »
Agreed however... most non-ceramic capacitors, especially electrolytics, are livestock. They start dying of old age the minute they roll off the assembly line.

Eh? Polymer film capacitors, provided that they are operated within their design parameters, have an essentially unlimited life, so do air, vacuum, well made mica capacitors (there are specific failure modes for older mica capacitors that were less than carefully made). They are all just as long lived as ceramic caps (which remember are relatively brittle, and so can undergo failure for mechanical reasons). I think you can only place electrolytics (of all flavours) into the livestock category, and a suitably de-rated, well cared for, well made one can still last a very long time. You'll be worrying about electromigration in today's chips well before you'll be worrying about failures in a 1970s PTFE film capacitor.

Indeed. This little excerpt from Experimental Methods in RF design is a good one which explains my point earlier:

Measurement tool: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/msg2327025/#msg2327025 :)

Capacitor is 1950-something.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:03:05 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65054 on: July 31, 2020, 08:02:51 pm »
Under the "I can't believe what I just found" file.

I opened up the 5248L to verify a few things and discovered that all the aluminum electrolytic capacitors are RIVETED in place. Are you fucking kidding me?  The only way to get them out is to drill them out. Which also means that unless I drill additional holes to mount terminal strips for the replacement capacitors I can't mount them on the underside and leave the cans in place. What a dumb ass thing to do. The re-cap of this unit is off. It will run to fail and maybe I'll just let it burn. Fuck HP.  |O 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65055 on: July 31, 2020, 08:06:34 pm »
Just drill them out and screw the cans back in?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #65056 on: July 31, 2020, 08:07:32 pm »
Yup 37.8 oC here today (100 oF in dumbass units  :-DD)
Yep, that's getting up there !  :o

Nuthing like walking out of an airport into that sort of suck !
Might be some time before we can again downunder.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65057 on: July 31, 2020, 08:12:58 pm »

No way am I going to do that and risk getting metal shavings everywhere. I'll do it only if it requires replacement of a defective unit....or the POS burns to cinders....whichever occurs first.   :o :-DD

Fuck HP.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65058 on: July 31, 2020, 08:15:25 pm »

Indeed. This little excerpt from Experimental Methods in RF design is a good one which explains my point earlier:   

Measurement tool: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/msg2327025/#msg2327025 :)

Capacitor is 1950-something.

Uh-huh. WTFE. Did I say ALL?

Lots of qualifications there, none of which invalidate my statement that most of the non-ceramic caps you'll run into IRL are livestock.  :palm:

Sod off, both of ye.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:18:03 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65059 on: July 31, 2020, 08:40:19 pm »
Urrgh. Just came in from the suck, doing what I hope will be the last bit of repair on the Juki sewing machine.  :phew:  *knock on wood*

It was just replacing the socket on the desklamp built into the thing so it had a working switch; but fuck! It evolved into a long-term hand-fabrication campaign involving soldering, masking tape, Dremel work and multiple chemical attacks to get dried-on/baked on crud off of regions I needed to work with. :palm:

Next I need to dig out my industrial-size spool of khaki-colored thread and actually try to SEW something with it... I think I'm going to wait until after dark.  :P

In OTHER News:

My order of moving boxes from local web vendor usedboxestoronto.com still hasn't shipped yet after 3 days, even tho they promise free delivery in 4 days or less... nor has my 54645A or my HP Mug. I was hoping to see them at least on their way before we celebrate my one-year-closer-to-worm-food day (Date changed to protect the innocent >:D) on Sunday.

mnem
*grumpity-grump-mumble-grumble* >:(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65060 on: July 31, 2020, 08:44:09 pm »

No way am I going to do that and risk getting metal shavings everywhere. I'll do it only if it requires replacement of a defective unit....or the POS burns to cinders....whichever occurs first.   :o :-DD

Fuck HP.  ;D

Take the tubes out, nip the wires and knock the caps out of the chassis with a short sledgehammer.  >:D

mnem
Alternately, small amounts of primacord wrapped around the base of the offending can... :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65061 on: July 31, 2020, 08:49:20 pm »
Lots of qualifications there, none of which invalidate my statement that most of the non-ceramic caps you'll run into IRL are livestock.  :palm:

Sod off, both of ye.  :-DD

Well, some of us offer the odd qualification to ensure that we're not making broad-brush talking-out-of-our-arses generalizations like "most of the non-ceramic caps you'll run into IRL are livestock". Now, if you'd qualified that with some caveats like, for instance, strictly off the top of my head you understand, ", after the Dragon's got his claws on them" then you'd have no argument from any of us.

Sod off yerself! :-DD

Now I've got to go and re-organize the contents of the freezer to make room for extra ice and ice-cream...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65062 on: July 31, 2020, 10:05:20 pm »
Well, if any of us actually LIVED IN Mr. Carlson's Lab, the proportion of these caps in question might actually be more than the bell ends. As I'm pretty sure most of us live IRL (except maybe Pat  >:D), I'm not going to make such qualifications for what I consider to be barely more than "margin of error" outliers when I make a casual "most of" statement.

So  :P Pppppppppptttttppppbbbblllllbbbbpppppppppp!!!

mnem
Now as to exactly where a certain TinkerDwagon and Earth-pig might actually live... that is a point for some future debate.  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:44:12 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65063 on: July 31, 2020, 11:59:13 pm »
*Peeks in on the bay of E-ville*

Welp... my HP mug now shows shipped; that makes 3 items purchased since my 54645A that have gone out, yet it still lingers in the queue like a fart in a phone booth.  :(

mnem
moo!

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65064 on: August 01, 2020, 01:13:48 am »
Finally I have some time in the workshop.

Let’s see where I get putting the balky 3478A through its paces.

1038314-0

1038306-1

Lies!

1038310-2

I picked up an assortment of fuses for my multimeters and a couple of other things.  I’ll get to the C9
Christmas light in a later post.  First order of business is to see if I can get the current function on that 3478A working again with a simple fuse replacement.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:16:10 am by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #65065 on: August 01, 2020, 01:27:04 am »
Got some stuff for my HP-65 in the mail today. Gummy wheel repair kit and the EE Pac 1 programs pack. the repair kit contains plenty of parts for different calculators, whether you want to go the tubing or the O-ring route. The caps are for the HP-67. Now I need to create a plan of attack for getting into the HP-65 case without causing damage.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139, Kosmic

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #65066 on: August 01, 2020, 01:29:57 am »
Now I need to create a plan of attack for getting into the HP-65 case without causing damage.  :scared:

Please post pics!  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65067 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:26 am »
Now I need to create a plan of attack for getting into the HP-65 case without causing damage.  :scared:

I will definitely be documenting the process.  :-+

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65068 on: August 01, 2020, 01:53:35 am »
Alright, now I’m getting somewhere.  I installed the correct replacement fuse in the 3478A that wasn’t measuring current and it appears to have done the trick.

1038336-0

AC

1038326-1

DC

Somehow I think I should really have the music blasting while I do this.

1038330-2

And some vintage HP calculator action for calculating one of the expected measurement results.  For sake of my sanity later, I’m putting all three meters through their paces pretty thoroughly.  I also ragged out some bad out of the package banana plug leads that seriously screwed me during a recent project.  I guess the hard learned lesson there is to ring out all the connector wires.  I’m going to have to buy more good quality cabling the next time I get paid and be less dependent on the made-in-you-know-where garbage the local bricks and mortar electronics supply shop sells.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:58:38 am by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, bd139, TorinoFermic

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #65069 on: August 01, 2020, 02:45:14 am »
In OTHER News:[/b][/i][/color]

My order of moving boxes from local web vendor usedboxestoronto.com still hasn't shipped yet after 3 days, even tho they promise free delivery in 4 days or less... nor has my 54645A or my HP Mug. I was hoping to see them at least on their way before we celebrate my one-year-closer-to-worm-food day (Date changed to protect the innocent >:D) on Sunday.

mnem
*grumpity-grump-mumble-grumble* >:(

Gee. Everyone's a sleepin' up there. It's not even winter, yet.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #65070 on: August 01, 2020, 02:51:39 am »
On the page 2525

Original by: Zager & Evans - In the Year 2525
Songwriter:  Richard Lee Evans
Video

Lyrics modified by BU508A and with a little help from some friends :)

Added to the TEA songs section of the OP.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65071 on: August 01, 2020, 03:31:13 am »

I will definitely be documenting the process.  :-+

I can happily report success. I took photos, but I'm too tired to go through them and post tonight. I'll get them up this weekend. It was a very concentration-demanding process, but I didn't lose any of the springy parts, had no parts leftover when I reassembled it (other than the two under label screws which I'm putting in a small baggie and putting in the calculator box), and it passed both self test program cards in the standard pac.  :-DMM

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #65072 on: August 01, 2020, 06:09:15 am »
Hmm, any of you lads got a spare Tek BNC, 28JR200-1 Tek P/N: 131-0955-00?

Giving a FG502 TM500 Function Gen a once over and found the centre contact is broken, so I'm looking for an original replacement if I can get one relatively easily.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65073 on: August 01, 2020, 07:20:44 am »
Wife says i need to play first with the toys i have now, before more is bought....
my excuse i also sell does not work anymore coz she has been in my cave  :palm:

And why is that UltrasonicCleaner you gave me so big, i don't have that much juwelry  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:10:33 am by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, edavid, bitseeker, BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, factory, Kosmic

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65074 on: August 01, 2020, 07:34:19 am »
Yes Yes!! :box:  :-+   Won both cases against the Ali guy, who send 3 separate orders with one shipping code...... first refund is allready in  8)
oof, this was a tight one... first it was rejected... but the pictures saved me.
No spare part unit this time  :-DD
to bad i lost some discount vouchers (and time) but now able to order again the  FA-2  and when other refund is in the 10Mhz distributer..
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf