Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14782022 times)

marcumr, Robert763, morris6, Jambalaya and 170 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65425 on: August 03, 2020, 11:42:51 pm »
Received a pair of Tek P6008 probes. These were the probes that would have come in the box with the Type 82 plugin when it was new. Unfortunately, one of them won't compensate right.  :-- Downloaded the manual to try to see if this is something that can be repaired. In either case, I may be demanding a partial refund from the seller.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65426 on: August 03, 2020, 11:46:20 pm »
Received a pair of Tek P6008 probes. These were the probes that would have come in the box with the Type 82 plugin when it was new. Unfortunately, one of them won't compensate right.  :-- Downloaded the manual to try to see if this is something that can be repaired. In either case, I may be demanding a partial refund from the seller.

Did you try the probe on both channels?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #65427 on: August 03, 2020, 11:50:55 pm »

Did you try the probe on both channels?

Yep--the problem travels with the probe.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65428 on: August 03, 2020, 11:54:50 pm »
Oh goodie....fun times tomorrow.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65429 on: August 04, 2020, 12:44:18 am »
Question for all of you. What common object, other than a ruler, would one use for scale in a photograph that is universal? Yeah, a ruler works but it doesn't have that same visceral feel that, say, a box of matches does.

For the Brits, a standard box of matches would work, but the "standard box of matches" varies in size around the world. A packet of Gitanes is the same size the world over but most people don't have a pack of French Cancer Sticks to hand. A bunch of keys? Pretty universal but you don't really want to embed the key profile of your front door key in a photo for publication. I've been over a few other things in my mind and discounted all of them as not universal enough. Pencil? The ubiquitous Bic? Too long and thin. Cups and cutlery are too variable in size.

I finally hit on a standard pack of playing cards. Right kind of scale, the same size all over the world, something that fits in the hand.

So, can anyone else think of a common household object that is truly universal worldwide, and that fits the bill better than a pack of cards? Thoughts? Something obvious that I've missed?
- Giro card or similar magnet/chip combination card /only minuscule size differences possible due to international usage in ATMs)

- 4mm plug

- razor blade

- 3.5" disk

- CD case

All good ideas
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65430 on: August 04, 2020, 01:03:46 am »
Question for all of you. What common object, other than a ruler, would one use for scale in a photograph that is universal? Yeah, a ruler works but it doesn't have that same visceral feel that, say, a box of matches does.

For the Brits, a standard box of matches would work, but the "standard box of matches" varies in size around the world. A packet of Gitanes is the same size the world over but most people don't have a pack of French Cancer Sticks to hand. A bunch of keys? Pretty universal but you don't really want to embed the key profile of your front door key in a photo for publication. I've been over a few other things in my mind and discounted all of them as not universal enough. Pencil? The ubiquitous Bic? Too long and thin. Cups and cutlery are too variable in size.

I finally hit on a standard pack of playing cards. Right kind of scale, the same size all over the world, something that fits in the hand.

So, can anyone else think of a common household object that is truly universal worldwide, and that fits the bill better than a pack of cards? Thoughts? Something obvious that I've missed?
- Giro card or similar magnet/chip combination card /only minuscule size differences possible due to international usage in ATMs)

- 4mm plug

- razor blade

- 3.5" disk

- CD case

3.5" disk? What's one of those grandpappy?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #65431 on: August 04, 2020, 01:05:09 am »
I'll raise you a 5" one !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65432 on: August 04, 2020, 01:06:58 am »
I've probably got an 8" floppy tucked away somewhere for old time's sake, rather like I have a few 80 col. cards.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65433 on: August 04, 2020, 01:15:02 am »

- 4mm plug

- razor blade

- 3.5" disk

- CD case

All good ideas

how 'bout a TI35?

they must have sold billions of them world wide.  (every schoolboy had and lost a couple.)

around here you can't open a drawer, broom closet, or old shoe box without finding at least one. 

in fact, they keep dropping into every picture despite my attempts to crop them out. 

free range primate

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65434 on: August 04, 2020, 01:20:02 am »
I've probably got an 8" floppy tucked away somewhere for old time's sake, rather like I have a few 80 col. cards.
At your/our age now you're just showing off !  :P
Anyways I call BS.

No we don't want a pic !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #65435 on: August 04, 2020, 01:20:36 am »

I still have mine from university. I learned PDP-11 assembly and that's where my programs are!

:-DD

Can't get to them any longer but I have the printouts.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #65436 on: August 04, 2020, 02:57:42 am »
Don't know what is worst:

1) Stickers
2) Permanet Marker
3) Nicotine layer
4) White plastic going yellowish
5) Scratches on display

First check is always is something is rattling inside, then I open the puppy up.

Ohh I need to buy something now...

6) Stickers on the display :scared:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65437 on: August 04, 2020, 02:58:19 am »
Just bought a 5316A as well. I noticed it had the channel C 1.3GHz option installed. They usually ship with an OCXO when one of them is in. Worth a gamble. Same seller as the 3478A  :scared:.

Need a totalising counter for something as well.

Good catch, bd. Mine doesn't have those options.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65438 on: August 04, 2020, 03:11:23 am »
[...] Dumbfuckistan units.  :-DD

OK, is this really necessary?  ::)

...not saying Imperial units are good mind you. I like my powers of 10.  >:D

He's just flexing his recently acquired metricness. :-DD

Actually it's more the opposite... I'm a nerd. I've been thinking in metric and converting to imperial for decades; everything I work with (computers are still perversely a mix but cars and most everything else uses metric fasteners and are designed in metric) and even my toys (all my whirry little flying things and RC cars and most of my tools) are metric down to the fasteners...

Interesting. I don't automatically convert either way. Rather, I've been using both completely dependent on context. For example, temperatures make sense to me in Fahrenheit in the context of the weather (or air in a room), and they likewise make sense to me in Celsius in the context of tech things such as CPU/GPU operating temps. Translate the units between contexts and I don't have a sense for how hot they are.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #65439 on: August 04, 2020, 03:14:28 am »
how 'bout a TI35?

they must have sold billions of them world wide.  (every schoolboy had and lost a couple.) around here you can't open a drawer, broom closet, or old shoe box without finding at least one. 

They actually only ever sold 12 of them; the rest reproduced in drawers and closets. Larval form usually appears as 2N2222A transistors and LR44 button cells.

mnem
Only Casio FX-series reproduce in shoeboxes; the little pervs. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65440 on: August 04, 2020, 03:16:56 am »
Seeing this reply

followed by this one

Sorry a mistake - 3478A.

Made me think for a moment that you had a negative 3478A or something. ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65441 on: August 04, 2020, 03:19:19 am »
Keeping it interesting while it simmers. If it makes it through today it's a done deal. Next up on the plate is the Type 3A6 Vertical. It has multiple boo-boo's.  ::)

For other visual interest, how about scope music?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #65442 on: August 04, 2020, 03:24:09 am »

Actually it's more the opposite... I'm a nerd. I've been thinking in metric and converting to imperial for decades; everything I work with (computers are still perversely a mix but cars and most everything else uses metric fasteners and are designed in metric) and even my toys (all my whirry little flying things and RC cars and most of my tools) are metric down to the fasteners...

Interesting. I don't automatically convert either way. Rather, I've been using both completely dependent on context. For example, temperatures make sense to me in Fahrenheit in the context of the weather (or air in a room), and they likewise make sense to me in Celsius in the context of tech things such as CPU/GPU operating temps. Translate the units between contexts and I don't have a sense for how hot they are.

Yeah, I guess that's true for me too now that you describe it that way; mostly I think metric in terms of fasteners and small measures. Miles & kliks I use interchangeably based on context, same with small weights of oz/lbs vs gram/kg. Tho I do STILL mostly think in degrees DFU and convert to C. And I still think almost exclusively in ft/lbs, in/oz & PSI for those measures. No idea why that didn't become automatic. :-// Fuck... guess I'm NOT as metric as I though I was. |O

Yet MORE reason the DFU must die!!!  :-DD

mnem
"Lemme have a 7gram bag of Hawaiian, man..."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:27:10 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65443 on: August 04, 2020, 03:24:35 am »

Rough and ready conversion:
F = (C x 2) + 30
C = (F - 30)/2

Eg the 38C bd139 posted a few days back 76 + 30  ~= 106F
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:21:38 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, tonyalbus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65444 on: August 04, 2020, 03:26:13 am »
Let me just drop a reminder of my recent success using IPA and one of those melamine sponges - worked a treat.

Already done exactly that :)

I'll deep clean it on the RIFA replacement cycle.

That's a relief! Sometimes those markers can soak in, making the job a lot more troublesome.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65445 on: August 04, 2020, 03:46:57 am »

Isn't it funny how outdated tech is still used as iconography for modern tech? For example, the 3.5" floppy disk on the save button, the classic telephone handset (or the entire phone) on the phone app and on/off-hook button.

I remember when someone's young daughter found a 3.5" floppy and said, "Daddy, look. It's a big save button!"

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65446 on: August 04, 2020, 04:12:20 am »

Isn't it funny how outdated tech is still used as iconography for modern tech? For example, the 3.5" floppy disk on the save button, the classic telephone handset (or the entire phone) on the phone app and on/off-hook button.

I remember when someone's young daughter found a 3.5" floppy and said, "Daddy, look. It's a big save button!"

we called the 3,5 a discette and 5,25 a floppy because of its flex

you alsohad those 12” once black and rond andthey produce music  :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65447 on: August 04, 2020, 04:45:16 am »

Those are back! (And compact cassettes seem to be trying to make a revival.)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65448 on: August 04, 2020, 04:54:33 am »

Those are back! (And compact cassettes seem to be trying to make a revival.)

omg... dont tell me i need to look in old boxes for my 8 track  :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #65449 on: August 04, 2020, 04:58:17 am »
... guess I'm NOT as metric as I though I was. |O

Yet MORE reason the DFU must die!!!  :-DD

I think wholly imperial for screens' diagonal size, bass loudspeakers, construction nails, and, in the spirit of Larry Haun; "tubafor". I might refer to IEC 60297 enclosures as 19" racks, in passing. I've got UNC, UNF, UNEF, BSP, BSPT, BSF, BA and Whitworth fasteners and associated hardware. They mostly are handled with their native measurement units, but never without a mental envelope calculation involving multiplication or division with 2,54.

The rest is metric. Especially in the kitchen. Fuck ounces and gallons.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf