Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14560559 times)

jazzmann, factory, marcumr, K0ELB and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65575 on: August 05, 2020, 08:33:23 am »
tonyalbus with only 284 285 posts you gained remarkable popularity in this lost island...
So cool you find us.

EDIT: your post above, was the 285th
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65576 on: August 05, 2020, 08:34:30 am »
tonyalbus with only 284 posts you gained remarkable popularity in this lost island...
So cool you find us.

Thanks ! i feel well at home here..

[edit] and it is a very friendly place i must say, because of all of you guys.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:39:19 am by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65577 on: August 05, 2020, 08:54:23 am »
A listing with 51 declined offers for a used Juicero eBay auction: #283340591584  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65578 on: August 05, 2020, 09:03:39 am »
A listing with 51 declined offers for a used Juicero eBay auction: #283340591584  :-DD

Where can one see the 51 declined offers?  :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65579 on: August 05, 2020, 09:12:30 am »
Here's the screenshot, for some reason ebay.com doesn't show the link to this button.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65580 on: August 05, 2020, 09:13:03 am »

$10 USD.  ::)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65581 on: August 05, 2020, 09:14:55 am »
Reminds me of the guy trying to shift a Marconi 2019A for £799. It was on ebay for 4 years. I assume he died before it sold and it'll get sold for £50 to some idiot in an SK auction  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65582 on: August 05, 2020, 10:10:21 am »
Anyone want a crust-o-meter 34401a?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174379420503

I’m almost tempted to make a shit offer  :-DD

Yebus! Where did they keep it? A pigeon loft?

Pah. That's just superficial. Most of us are excellent in cleaning, and this should come off easily.
The display seems to be still in very good condition for a HP branded 34401A!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #65583 on: August 05, 2020, 10:15:46 am »
Reminds me of the guy trying to shift a Marconi 2019A for £799. It was on ebay for 4 years. I assume he died before it sold and it'll get sold for £50 to some idiot in an SK auction  :-DD

Around £800 seems to be the price being asked from UK, and roughly half that from Israel, with the usual history of target practice that all Israeli surplus gear seems to have.  So optimists abound. Apparently.

I kind of like the 2019A, from the looks of it. There is something to the form factor, 19" rack, 3HE, full depth, and RF. Like the 8640b or the  8656. Or, to go into reception, the NSA receivers from Watkins-Johnson, like WJ-8718A or Racal RA1772, or Standard Radio CR-302

True (modern, as opposed to R-390A enheaviment) Boat Anchor format, I'd argue.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65584 on: August 05, 2020, 10:16:51 am »
I have seen one of us TEA, posting a picture of a simular frequencycounter as my Anritsu MF1603A ..
does anyone have a service manual? ... for Anritsu this is hard to find it seems.

1041078-0

Thank you  :-+   :-/O
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65585 on: August 05, 2020, 10:18:22 am »

Around £800 seems to be the price being asked from UK, and roughly half that from Israel, with the usual history of target practice that all Israeli surplus gear seems to have.  So optimists abound. Apparently.

I kind of like the 2019A, from the looks of it. There is something to the form factor, 19" rack, 3HE, full depth, and RF. Like the 8640b or the  8656. Or, to go into reception, the NSA receivers from Watkins-Johnson, like WJ-8718A or Racal RA1772, or Standard Radio CR-302

True (modern, as opposed to R-390A enheaviment) Boat Anchor format, I'd argue.

2019A usually goes for £250-350 or so here in working order.

I paid £10 for a working one a few years back! The one in question:

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65586 on: August 05, 2020, 10:20:37 am »
Anyway HP34401a is still a very sexy machine.
I had four of those puppies back in those days, now I got fooled by touch UI and USB stuff.

I miss a HP34401a on my bench like my old and trusty dog.

PS: also dreaming about a chepo HP34410a, one day...

I stopped dreaming about the 34410 after working with one for a few days. The high-pitched noise of the little fan annoyed me to no end.

Why can they no longer dissipate the small amount of heat created in them passively?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65587 on: August 05, 2020, 10:25:45 am »
Here's two other individuals who need stop smoking the funny stuff and come back to reality....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-Type-284-Pulse-Generator-TESTED-WORKING/324000191129?hash=item4b6fea9299:g:A~kAAOSwD9Jd5a~2

He also has a 454 for $500.  :palm:

Yes, the calibration unit is a rare item but not THAT rare.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-Type-284-Pulse-Generator-w-067-0508-00-Calibration-Fixture/274344913656?hash=item3fe03b2af8:g:ys0AAOSwyvJeoMIo

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65588 on: August 05, 2020, 10:30:22 am »
I have seen one of us TEA, posting a picture of a simular frequencycounter as my Anritsu MF1603A ..
does anyone have a service manual? ... for Anritsu this is hard to find it seems.

(Attachment Link)

Found only this data sheet on a russian website.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65589 on: August 05, 2020, 10:31:49 am »
I had four of those puppies back in those days, now I got fooled by touch UI and USB stuff.

I stopped dreaming about the 34410 after working with one for a few days. The high-pitched noise of the little fan annoyed me to no end.

Why can they no longer dissipate the small amount of heat created in them passively?

Fans are cheaper than a good thermal design.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65590 on: August 05, 2020, 10:38:38 am »

(Attachment Link)

Found only this data sheet on a russian website.

Thanks BU! , yes that is all i could find too  :-+

i never get those companys.. like AVCOM .. and Anritsu.. why keep it to yourself if it is old
was able to find it for the Anritsu SA though

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65591 on: August 05, 2020, 10:56:07 am »

i also hat*/dislike that a lot from my Peaktech counter/generator Peaktech 4085 .. blody noisy .. its in my secondary brickwall, unplugged. :-//

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65592 on: August 05, 2020, 10:59:37 am »
There's no coincidence that none of my stuff has fans in it. I can't stand the damn things whirring away. For my age, my hearing is exceptionally good which is both surprising considering the music I listen to and the volume and possibly irritating because every little sound annoys me.

I can hear someone drop a £20 note from 500m away though  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65593 on: August 05, 2020, 11:03:21 am »
There's no coincidence that none of my stuff has fans in it. I can't stand the damn things whirring away. For my age, my hearing is exceptionally good which is both surprising considering the music I listen to and the volume and possibly irritating because every little sound annoys me.

agree, but somehow i can take it from the 2955  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65594 on: August 05, 2020, 11:05:32 am »

Outside my window as I type this are a local chap and his son chainsawing up my assignment firewood logs and splitting them for me so I don't have to do it myself. Our tolerance to noise is remarkably flexible.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65595 on: August 05, 2020, 11:17:30 am »
Guys, can ask your opinions on what is the best kind of wire stripper? I have a couple very similar to the one shown as some of you will know I have to replace a 8PDT push button switch on a Solartron 7150 plus DMM and I'm struggling with these strippers to make a decent strip on the wires of this meter. It uses a cable, the likes of which I have never come across before. They are single solid cores and very stiff, they oppose almost any attempt to bend them and the insulation sticks to the cores like shit to a blanket. The cores themselves have veins like a leaf embossed in them and the insulation does not want to let go of the core.

I have extremely little room to work as the cables don't have any real slack available and as you can see, they are so stiff, they have to be physically anchored at each end and the main outer sheath is like an insulted armoured cable between the two boards, and there are 2 such cables, the switch itself has 3 of these cables connected to it.

I have been considering rewiring these with a more workable and friendly cable, but if I did, what type of cable should it be or is the cable on these meters dependant on the that type of cable for some reason that I'm not aware of?

So the question is what is the best kind of cable stripper to use and also what are thoughts on the type of cable used in these meters, could another be used without any detriment to meter itself and if so, what cable would you guys use?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:21:25 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65596 on: August 05, 2020, 11:45:56 am »
Guys, can ask your opinions on what is the best kind of wire stripper? I have a couple very similar to the one shown as some of you will know I have to replace a 8PDT push button switch on a Solartron 7150 plus DMM and I'm struggling with these strippers to make a decent strip on the wires of this meter. It uses a cable, the likes of which I have never come across before. They are single solid cores and very stiff, they oppose almost any attempt to bend them and the insulation sticks to the cores like shit to a blanket. The cores themselves have veins like a leaf embossed in them and the insulation does not want to let go of the core.

I have extremely little room to work as the cables don't have any real slack available and as you can see, they are so stiff, they have to be physically anchored at each end and the main outer sheath is like an insulted armoured cable between the two boards, and there are 2 such cables, the switch itself has 3 of these cables connected to it.

I have been considering rewiring these with a more workable and friendly cable, but if I did, what type of cable should it be or is the cable on these meters dependant on the that type of cable for some reason that I'm not aware of?

So the question is what is the best kind of cable stripper to use and also what are thoughts on the type of cable used in these meters, could another be used without any detriment to meter itself and if so, what cable would you guys use?

Ideal Stripmaster or clone  Go on Google it but becareful what sites you click on  >:D

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65597 on: August 05, 2020, 11:49:06 am »
This, by a mile: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-strippers/0243112/

I've had every stripper under the sun and that's the only one that isn't a complete piece of shit. It also stays not a complete piece of shit unlike some of the ones that work nicely for the first 50-100 strips. I get 5 years out of each one at average.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:50:56 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster, Mr. Scram

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #65598 on: August 05, 2020, 11:52:01 am »
Ideal Stripmaster or clone  Go on Google it but becareful what sites you click on  >:D

+1, but when there is no working space or the cable is short it is a PITA.
For critical missions I use something like this, or similar:

Anyway, in those not ideal circumstances, good results are 80% due to patience and time and 20% tool.

my 1cent.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #65599 on: August 05, 2020, 11:55:32 am »
This, by a mile: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-strippers/0243112/

Look at the chinesium one here.

2. Please allow 1-3cm measuring deviation due to manual measurement.

I give it a try... :-DD

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:07:19 pm by Zucca »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf