Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406193 times)

zepto, salvagedcircuitry, med6753 and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65650 on: August 05, 2020, 03:46:03 pm »
Many thanks for all the advice on wire strippers, I have discounted all the ones that require 2 hands to used, pulling in opposite directions because they are fine if working with new cables and have the space and length of cable to be able to grip it correctly and safely. In my case, that is not applicable, one slip and the other items on the PCB or even the meter could be damaged by the reaction to slipping.

So I have selected this pair to try out, where any slippage is not putting other at risk of potential damage and includes, my knuckles   :-DD

Those are very similar to the German auto-strippers I was talking about. Actual dies with ground notches corresponding to your standard wire sizes. Get the spacing on the dies just right and the tension on the gripper and she love you long time.   >:D

If it doesn't come with one, you can easily fabricobble a wire stop out of an old PC Card slot filler and a bit of duct tape or zip ties so your stripped ends are uniform. Done that a few times. ;)

mnem
:popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:28:09 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65651 on: August 05, 2020, 03:55:51 pm »
We have thieving pikeys!  :-DD

Ah, so that's what the Ferengi infant Girl Guides are called. We have Girl Guides, Brownies and Rainbows, in descending order of age.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65652 on: August 05, 2020, 03:57:15 pm »
What the F**K, thats like calling white, black and black, white just how the bloody hell are you meant to even have an appreciation of a colour with using the name to describe two completely different colours (well in this case its still I suppose a shade of pink, just darker). A colour like that would not make it to my man nest if I was single, especially as you live in an area of high ambient temperatures, it just would make me feel even hotter than ever, its still a girly colour, are you trying to tell us something here??  :-DD :-DD

I dunno, some of you guys have no sense of color. All your taste is in your mouth.  :P :P :P :-DD

Mmmmhmmmmmm... speaking of taste... my whole house smells sooooo good right now!!! I can't wait to taste it!

mnem
 >:D

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #65653 on: August 05, 2020, 03:58:10 pm »
What the F**K, thats like calling white, black and black, white just how the bloody hell are you meant to even have an appreciation of a colour with using the name to describe two completely different colours (well in this case its still I suppose a shade of pink, just darker). A colour like that would not make it to my man nest if I was single, especially as you live in an area of high ambient temperatures, it just would make me feel even hotter than ever, its still a girly colour, are you trying to tell us something here??  :-DD :-DD

I dunno, some of you guys have no sense of color. All your taste is in your mouth.  :P :P :P :-DD

mnem, what do you think of Papa Smurf ?
he's smurflickin' good ...

how can I unsee this ....

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65654 on: August 05, 2020, 04:00:59 pm »
in other news the guy who sold that Nakamichi RX202 did not deliver. He said that he did not know that Paypal would hang on to the funds until the end of the transaction and cancelled it, asking me to purchase again and wire the money.

He has an arab name.
Umm.

No, I'll pass, I have the RX505 and I am not willing to risk it, especially given the age of the tape deck and the potential problems going along with that.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #65655 on: August 05, 2020, 04:03:12 pm »
Just a heads up that it looks like fleabay will be able to force your bank account into an overdraft! I hope to hell I'm wrong, but the signs look that way.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/ebay-paypal-ayden-what-does-it-mean-for-private-sellers/msg3173388/#msg3173388

Sounds like the death knell for private sellers, e.g. silent keys.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65656 on: August 05, 2020, 04:06:56 pm »
Some old sod burnt our S cones out.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65657 on: August 05, 2020, 04:08:26 pm »
We have thieving pikeys!  :-DD

Ah, so that's what the Ferengi infant Girl Guides are called. We have Girl Guides, Brownies and Rainbows, in descending order of age.

We have Grrl Scouts on this side of the pond; extorting us 3-4 times a year for cookies which quite frankly, have less actual flavor every generation. Last time I tried to politely decline on my way in the store, I got sucked into an argument where I admitted I didn't like any of the cookies they sold anymore; they all tasted like freaking Wonder White bread.

That of course got me a lot more grief, like I was supposed to automatically respect the product because they were the Grrl Scouts.  :palm: After about 3 minutes of ignorant mouth-frothing from the other side of the table, I was finally forced to flip the "adult chaperone" off and just go inside the store and complete my business.

Gawddamn paramilitary organization with shitty cookies. ::)

mnem
Yes, even Samoas. |O

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65658 on: August 05, 2020, 04:20:57 pm »
We have Grrl Scouts on this side of the pond; extorting us 3-4 times a year for cookies which quite frankly, have less actual flavor every generation. Last time I tried to politely decline on my way in the store, I got sucked into an argument where I admitted I didn't like any of the cookies they sold anymore; they all tasted like freaking Wonder White bread.

That of course got me a lot more grief, like I was supposed to automatically respect the product because they were the Grrl Scouts.  :palm: After about 3 minutes of ignorant mouth-frothing from the other side of the table, I was finally forced to flip the "adult chaperone" off and just go inside the store and complete my business.

mnem
Yes, even Samoas. |O
Did you really just tell us you even got argumentative with a bunch of girl scouts? I know you have a reputation to uphold but crikey. :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65659 on: August 05, 2020, 04:23:39 pm »
in other news the guy who sold that Nakamichi RX202 did not deliver. He said that he did not know that Paypal would hang on to the funds until the end of the transaction and cancelled it, asking me to purchase again and wire the money.

He has an arab name.
Umm.

No, I'll pass, I have the RX505 and I am not willing to risk it, especially given the age of the tape deck and the potential problems going along with that.

That has the signs of being a scam, you wire him the money and neither him, your money or the RX202 will ever be seen again.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65661 on: August 05, 2020, 04:31:15 pm »

mnem
Yes, even Samoas. |O
Did you really just tell us you even got argumentative with a bunch of girl scouts? I know you have a reputation to uphold but crikey. :-DD

Given the chance he would argue with God.  :P :P :-DD :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65662 on: August 05, 2020, 04:39:55 pm »
Good lord... I can't even recount being verbally assaulted by a wingnut in front of a grocery store without getting dogpiled.  :palm:

I tried to politely decline; crazy lady tried to play the whole "It's for the Grrls" guilt trip on me. I tried AGAIN to politely decline, never once raising my voice. It wasn't till after this psycho bint laid into me for several minutes, and even the two little girls next to her were looking at her like she was nuts, that I flipped her off without a word and LEFT.

Yet ANOTHER reason I'm glad to have escaped the toxic-waste dump otherwise known as Houston.

mnem
Y'all can kiss muh scaly dwagon arse. ::)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:02:54 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65663 on: August 05, 2020, 04:48:32 pm »
mnem, what do you think of Papa Smurf ?   he's smurflickin' good ...   how can I unsee this ....   

:palm:   that wasn't me, FFS...

*Looks up with a pasted-on smile*
Yeah, sure... What can I say...? Item OBVIOUSLY not as described; see this pic from the Auction listing:   

I've tried communicating with the seller, but BU508A doesn't accept returns. Should I open a dispute...?  >:D

mnem
Worst. Scotch-Goggles. EVAR.  :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:59:41 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #65664 on: August 05, 2020, 04:56:39 pm »
Guys, can ask your opinions on what is the best kind of wire stripper? I have a couple very similar to the one shown as some of you will know I have to replace a 8PDT push button switch on a Solartron 7150 plus DMM and I'm struggling with these strippers to make a decent strip on the wires of this meter. It uses a cable, the likes of which I have never come across before. They are single solid cores and very stiff, they oppose almost any attempt to bend them and the insulation sticks to the cores like shit to a blanket. The cores themselves have veins like a leaf embossed in them and the insulation does not want to let go of the core.

I have extremely little room to work as the cables don't have any real slack available and as you can see, they are so stiff, they have to be physically anchored at each end and the main outer sheath is like an insulted armoured cable between the two boards, and there are 2 such cables, the switch itself has 3 of these cables connected to it.

I have been considering rewiring these with a more workable and friendly cable, but if I did, what type of cable should it be or is the cable on these meters dependant on the that type of cable for some reason that I'm not aware of?

So the question is what is the best kind of cable stripper to use and also what are thoughts on the type of cable used in these meters, could another be used without any detriment to meter itself and if so, what cable would you guys use?

I have a set of CK automatics, similar to the pic you linked, I use them for one thing only; stripping the outer sheath off double insulated single blue cable.

For everything else, single insulated mostly I'll gently nip round with my combi pliers, with the last nip held and push the pliers off the end of the wire, taking the insulation with it. This works best on LSF and other hard insulations, and requires practice and a good feel.

For double insulated flex, or anything with soft insulation such as silicone, I score it with a sharp blade, a Stanley knife in my case, other brands are available. This requires a lot of practice and a very good feel, to avoid damaging inner insulation, or your fingers.

Finally for field use where there are no tools, which can happen for various reasons, your old friend the Bic/Clipper/disposable lighter to heat the insulation to just short of burning point, and remove the required amount using your fingers, or preferably fingernails if you have them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:58:42 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65665 on: August 05, 2020, 05:04:53 pm »

He has an arab name.
Umm.

That has the signs of being a scam, you wire him the money and neither him, your money or the RX202 will ever be seen again.

He is less than 50 km away, so he is in range, I just need to program the GPS coordinates ...

No, I am not sending any money.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65666 on: August 05, 2020, 05:07:16 pm »

Perhaps not, but once one has acquired a certain reputation, then all similar incidents get blamed on you  - even if your alibi was that you were in a meeting with the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Dalai Lama, and there are photos in all the international press to prove it. The question simply becomes "how did he do that while he was there" rather than "well then, it can't be him".  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65667 on: August 05, 2020, 05:26:58 pm »

He has an arab name.
Umm.

He is less than 50 km away, so he is in range, I just need to program the GPS coordinates ...

I always thought I needed a drone that drops bags of excrement.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65668 on: August 05, 2020, 05:30:34 pm »

Perhaps not, but once one has acquired a certain reputation, then all similar incidents get blamed on you  - even if your alibi was that you were in a meeting with the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Dalai Lama, and there are photos in all the international press to prove it. The question simply becomes "how did he do that while he was there" rather than "well then, it can't be him".  >:D
Hence my decision to just own it, for the most part, and the reason my protestations are so feeble at this point. :-DD

mnem
"That's not for what you did... it's for what yer gonna do." ~grand-dad

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65669 on: August 05, 2020, 05:33:42 pm »

He has an arab name.
Umm.

I always thought I needed a drone that drops bags of excrement.

in MIRV we trust ...

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65670 on: August 05, 2020, 05:35:11 pm »
mnem, what do you think of Papa Smurf ?   he's smurflickin' good ...   how can I unsee this ....   

*Looks up with a pasted-on smile*
Yeah, sure... What can I say...? Item OBVIOUSLY not as described; see this pic from the Auction listing:   

I've tried communicating with the seller, but BU508A doesn't accept returns. Should I open a dispute...?  >:D

mnem
Worst. Scotch-Goggles. EVAR.  :P

Well you big dummy. That's because she's with me....and no you can't have her.  >:D :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65671 on: August 05, 2020, 05:46:30 pm »

Ummmagawwwwd... this roast and veggies are soooo good. I wish I could email you all a plateful. Seriously.  :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:56:14 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65672 on: August 05, 2020, 05:47:54 pm »
allergic to celery. But will gladly take you up on the meat only offer if I happen to be in the greater Toronto area ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65673 on: August 05, 2020, 06:04:35 pm »
Some TEA content while I'm waiting for the paint to dry.

Going to work on the Type 3A6 Vertical plug-in tomorrow and just noticed this. It took a hell of bash on the bottom. Luckily it still engages to the mainframe and it didn't damage the interconnect plug. And that switch still works but is a little tight, obviously. I may try to straighten it out. And notice those 2 long legged transistors. Indications of past repair activity. I guess the tech couldn't be bothered to trim the leads.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65674 on: August 05, 2020, 06:09:00 pm »
allergic to celery. But will gladly take you up on the meat only offer if I happen to be in the greater Toronto area ...

Yeah, not a lot of choice for us anymore; we had to evict tubers & most grains from our diet. I was raised on Polock/Italian/Welsh family recipes which are all heavily reliant on garlic, onions, bell peppers & celery.

Then I married a Cajun girl, and that cuisine literally refers to these flavors as "The Holy Trinity". ;)  If I couldn't offset that with a boatload of carrots, I'd be well & truly fooked. :-DD

mnem
Woops... well past lunchtime; need to make some for the little grrl... :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf