Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406042 times)

med6753 and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65800 on: August 06, 2020, 03:37:51 pm »
It says right on the board, "C64 Micro/Laptop"...   >:D

(Not that it's terribly difficult to guess with positions labelled things like SID and VIC II...)  :)

There are quite a few different types and versions of those modern C64 boards, though I don't recall seeing that particular one before in any of the YouTube videos I've seen on modern C64s...

reworked as a laptop board which includes an adapter for a PI1541 running on a raspi 0. There is certainly the option to attach a TFT and put everything in a very small case. I got this to replace a board that I am sick of debugging.

Yeah, adding a bit of modern tech like that makes experiencing the old-school stuff that much more user friendly.  :)

If we'd had things like flash memory, VGA or LCD panels instead of RF and composite or whatever back then, we certainly would have used it.  :)

I never had a C64, though certainly knew plenty of people who did. 

We were a TI-99/4A family in those days.  I currently have three of them.  Why?  Who knows?!! 
It's just like TE, why does Tony have a thousand counters?  Who knows?!!  :)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65801 on: August 06, 2020, 03:41:32 pm »
Just realized, i should have asked first... i just bought a new original 82357B GPIB to USB adapter with CD and stuff incl shipping for 59,-
did not seem expansive but maybe you guys have better solutions... |O
i can use this right, to read calibration and other stuff?
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000055854700.htm

At that price and from aliexpress you are probably 99% sure it's a counterfeit. I heard they (counterfeit) are a bit buggy and stop working after some times. If it's a real one from Keysight they are working fine.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:45:24 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #65802 on: August 06, 2020, 03:41:51 pm »
Yea, every few days another newb asks for advice as to what scope to buy and the usual suspects jump in and it quickly becomes a bitch-fest and a circle jerk. I never participate in those threads, waste of time.
That's the first thing many newcomers encounter, shit advice and bad attitudes. I don't think it's a good look for the forum and I don't think it's fair to the people asking for help. If these idiots just kept each other busy it'd be fine but people are spending real money on the FUD spouted in those threads. It's just a handful of regulars running amok so getting them in line or giving them the boot should be doable.

That’s about right. I had another account on here and was put off contributing a few years back by such folk. I came back with a “fuck you” attitude in the end.

My favourite is the: ”What scope should I buy to help trace problems in audio amps. My budget is $50”

The solution is clearly: “Oh you need a DS1054Z. No can’t buy Chinese crap you need a Keysight. No Lecroy only. Ooh to check that signal integrity you need a Keysight UXA.”

Now I spent a good few years of my life with a 5 MHz single trace analogue from a car boot sale and that’s and a brain is enough for that task. So I throw in the “any old 20mhz shit box analogue that is sold working”. Unfortunately the next thing I get is a lecture on signal integrity which is irrelevant for the purposes of ”visual signal tracing” which is what the original poster really needs to do.

Occasionally I like to throw in a comment to piss the sensitive people off now which is that I rewired my house with a UT61. Also owning and liking a TDS210 seems to inflame some  :-DD

Yeah.... that's how I wound up with my 1054Zed. Lots of people tried to warn me against its anti-intuitive UI; I figured after using 2230 figuring THAT out should be a cakewalk. Uhhhhh... *bites tongue* Mmmmnnrmmmmphhlmmmmph...

Would still rather use it than a TDS210 for anything where I need a DSO; I've gotten used to being able to take lazy measurements and just scroll backwards through time to find what I'm looking for.  :-DD Yeah... I think that's it. The TDS210 is for folks who really only need a analog scope most of the time. ;)

If I were buying new, I'd probably let tautech sell me something.  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65803 on: August 06, 2020, 03:48:22 pm »
That's the charme of this thread. Whenever you are visiting it, one can watch

- med painting something blue, except it is his bedroom
- Saskia playing with 50g of ceefour
- bd139 is buying / selling something
- tony is buying a counter.
- nixiefreqq is ranting about RPN calulators
- the Dwagon is lamenting on <insert topic of your choice here>
- tautech is playing with Siglent stuff
- BU508A is trying to find strange R&S gear
- Zucca has this ongoing marriage-project
- bitseeker is trying to catch-up
- 0culus buying another RPN calculator *
- cubdriver is frolicing around with his cats *
- not sure what Cerebus is doing but I think it has something to do with magic smoke and syringes **

please feel free to add any thoughts to this list.    :-DD

* Edit 1
** Edit 2
Thanks for having mercy on a crusty ol' TinkerDwagon.  :-DD  *makes mental note to agitate more, whinge less*

mnem
...The good ol' days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it see-ee-ee-eems...":
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65804 on: August 06, 2020, 03:53:39 pm »
look what I found in the mail.      Guess what it is.

Masochism made tangible...?  :-DD

mnem
alt: A invitation to misery?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65805 on: August 06, 2020, 03:54:11 pm »
If I were buying new, I'd probably let tautech sell me something.  :-DD

This. Completely this. I'd buy a 4 channel horse next time though  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TorinoFermic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65806 on: August 06, 2020, 04:03:49 pm »
You don''t think they have a bunch of these pre-filled-in stickers on stock right...... neahhhh

[Edit] only needed to post 5 time for the pictures....

This is a known glitch in the latest forum software update; skip the first attachment radio button as seen in this post:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/website-error-reports/msg3151250/#msg3151250

This works 98% of the time. If you look back through the thread, you'll see those failed attempts have cascaded back to your older posts, replacing the pics attached to them. |O

It's a total fustercluck, but eevBlog had to choose between The Langoliers randomly eating our pics or sticking with SSL standards from the '00s. I think this was still the smart choice.  :-\

mnem
*poot!*
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:05:47 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65807 on: August 06, 2020, 04:04:13 pm »
I sold a Tek AWG2021 in a parking lot yesterday. I interestingly felt like a dealer.

Imagine the empty parking lot of a shopping mall. I'm outside my car checking my phone. The client arrive and park his BMW nearby. I open the trunk of my car. He inspects the goods then satisfied, pay me cash.

The following users thanked this post: drussell, mnementh, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65808 on: August 06, 2020, 04:06:40 pm »
Hahaha. I used to get paid as a contractor in that manor by a rather hooky dude. Someone would cruise up to me in the middle of Leyton and handle a wad of cash out of a BMW with blacked out windows.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65809 on: August 06, 2020, 04:08:31 pm »
I sold a Tek AWG2021 in a parking lot yesterday. I interestingly felt like a dealer.

Imagine the empty parking lot of a shopping mall. I'm outside my car checking my phone. The client arrive and park his BMW nearby. I open the trunk of my car. He inspects the goods then satisfied, pay me cash.

haha and looking arrond every 10 sec.. and wearing a hoody-sweater
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65810 on: August 06, 2020, 04:10:54 pm »
Had a similar experience a few years ago (okay, more than a few ;)) on a PS2 slim. Brought my inverter and a old TV already connected to the PS2 cable set up in the trunk. Similar with a full collection of (I assume) counterfeit "Cards Against Humanity" Box set for 20% of list back when it was all the rage.

Fun times.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65811 on: August 06, 2020, 04:11:30 pm »
Hahaha. I used to get paid as a contractor in that manor by a rather hooky dude. Someone would cruise up to me in the middle of Leyton and handle a wad of cash out of a BMW with blacked out windows.

Haha sound great. At least this way you don't need to declare anything in your tax report  :)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65812 on: August 06, 2020, 04:15:50 pm »
Note to HMRC internet police: I paid all of those taxes in full ???  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, scl, Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #65813 on: August 06, 2020, 04:19:00 pm »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #65814 on: August 06, 2020, 04:23:31 pm »

Welcome to the dark side as a fellow enabler.  >:D
Starts getting to be hard work when products get more complex and you need demonstrate how they work.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65815 on: August 06, 2020, 04:26:27 pm »
look what I found in the mail.

Guess what it is.

(In catch up mode)

That's too easy. I've never had one of the originals, used one, or even been knowingly close to one. The giveaway is the "VIC", "SID" and "64" on the silkscreen.

No spoiler, just in case.

And despite all those hints, bd139 still thought it was a VIC20, when in fact it's a C64 clone. :D

McBryce.

To be clear I knew exactly what it was. It was an opportunity to throw a trite insult at the C64, which I throughly despise coming from another superior 6502 faction.

Edit: changed avatar. The Ferengi was making me uncomfortable  :-DD

Awww... I found the visage of Quark smiling beatifically from the sidelines oddly comforting... ;)

mnem
As for the Acorn logo, and all the sins THAT umbrella covereth... *shudder*

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65816 on: August 06, 2020, 04:31:02 pm »
Edit: changed avatar. The Ferengi was making me uncomfortable  :-DD

Pity, I liked the "no equal sign" picture  ;D

What's the meaning of the new one? Looks like a draft from a marketing company selling Batterizers.  :-DD

He changes avatars more often than I change underwear.  :P :P :P :-DD

*backs slowly away from Stinky Smurf*     :-DD

mnem
Agitate more, whinge less.  >:D

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65817 on: August 06, 2020, 04:54:57 pm »

Starts getting to be hard work when products get more complex and you need demonstrate how they work.  ::)

Another reason to get one of each for yourself  ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65818 on: August 06, 2020, 04:55:46 pm »
Ok cleaned up rest of 3478A. It's done!

Risky looking single picture on ebay ...

Turned out to be perfect ...

Very happy  :-+

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65819 on: August 06, 2020, 04:56:14 pm »
Had a similar experience a few years ago (okay, more than a few ;)) on a PS2 slim. Brought my inverter and a old TV already connected to the PS2 cable set up in the trunk. Similar with a full collection of (I assume) counterfeit "Cards Against Humanity" Box set for 20% of list back when it was all the rage.

Fun times.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Having a big inverter is a good idea. Maybe I should invest a little bit to raise my game  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65820 on: August 06, 2020, 04:57:14 pm »
Ok cleaned up rest of 3478A. It's done!

Risky looking single picture on ebay ...

Turned out to be perfect ...

Very happy  :-+

look super clean, good job  :-+

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65821 on: August 06, 2020, 04:57:47 pm »
Working on the Type 3A6 plug-in and found more physical damage. Look at that coil just above the pair of 6.8K/2W resistors. Yep, snapped in half. Compare to coil above it. Luckily the coil does not have a slug core and surprisingly the fine wiring is in tact. I confirmed same resistance readings with other coil. Going to leave it for now. Too much of a risk of breaking those fine wires. And it's not the issue anyway. I'm tracing it further back.

And for those who think my color choice for the bedroom is too "girly" check it out. Far from it. Think "out of box" when it comes to color.  ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #65822 on: August 06, 2020, 05:00:00 pm »

You obviously are!

You're apparently probably feeding some other poor soul's TE habit/affliction/addiction.  :)

Edit: I had forgotten about Lefty trying to sell Ernie an 8, and air and stuff...   :-DD
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 05:04:33 pm by drussell »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #65823 on: August 06, 2020, 05:01:28 pm »

Another reason to get one of each for yourself  ;D
Well yes of course but we call them demo models.  :)
A chunk of profits can be hidden as them.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65824 on: August 06, 2020, 05:02:43 pm »
Today my EPROM Eraser showed up which I've bought

<snip>

But I'm convinced, it will for sure not meet the VDE safety standards or the CE standards (EMI).

After or before you've enhanced it?  :-DD :-DD

Seriously, the major problem with self-certification along the CE marking model is that it lacks "nuke'm from orbit, land, plow the land and spread salt over the fields" termination clauses in the legislation. It is largely painless and cheap to get caught peddling broken stuff, so people take their chances, especially if they're only one step in the value chain. There is always someone else to blame.

The old SEMKO / DEMKO / VDE / UL / CSA model was hampering innovation and was a market blocker; we do not want that again. What we need is a way for manufacturers and vendors to feel the pain.

Oh, I know... it was so horrible to have to have your product full of angry pixies inspected by an independent certification body made of people who actually know their asses from a hole in the ground. You know, BEFORE importing them by containerload and the fire jumps out and burns people up.  :palm:

mnem
"Acceptable risks" = pricetag on human lives.

I get your point, but there's a horrible tendency for these organizations to turn into "rent seeking" operations. The big boys don't particularly care, they can absorb all the fees (and second people to all the standards committees and inspection organization's boards), and the £20,000 in fees for the simplest product to reach the market nicely keeps them from being competed with by all those pesky little independent operations without getting into any trouble over anticompetitive practices. Ask the Germans about the TUV, and frankly the TUV is one of the better at still performing its original intended purpose. They start out as a good idea with good intentions but quickly become a barrier to market entry for any but the biggest organizations.

Back in the day, I was a member of the UK naming committee, which did a pretty good job of managing UK domain registrations (in particular, ensuring that registrations actually fitted the nominal category they were for and weren't abusive) for no fees at all. Now go and look at the horrendous mess that (the nominally non-profit, hah!) Nominet has made of everything - minting money hand over fist in the process. It's not quite the same thing as TUV/whatever, but it does fit in the same niche in regulatory/civil society and failed in exactly the way those fail.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf