Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14817495 times)

Carl_Smith and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65900 on: August 07, 2020, 05:40:43 am »
(No, because those are types of PLIERS!!  Not to be confused with slip-joint, needle-nose, linesman, etc!)

Never forget virgin (pliers), e.g. http://www.wholesaleengineeringsupplies.com/three-prong-pliers-virgin-pliers.html
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65901 on: August 07, 2020, 06:46:18 am »
(No, because those are types of PLIERS!!  Not to be confused with slip-joint, needle-nose, linesman, etc!)

Never forget virgin (pliers), e.g. http://www.wholesaleengineeringsupplies.com/three-prong-pliers-virgin-pliers.html

aren't they all, before you use them? :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65902 on: August 07, 2020, 09:20:28 am »
Wow, I'm gobsmacked, Capri have responded to my enquiry already, but sadly not good news.

Hi Graham,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, we are still unable to ship outside of the U.S. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Paulina
Customer Care

People. Passion. Quality.

1788 W 2nd Street. Pomona CA 91766
P: (888) 723-0550
support@capritools.com | www.capritools.com

:palm: |O

What about these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blades-for-Wire-Stripper-16-to-26-AWG-Klein-Tools-11074/264734861069?

They ship to the UK.

EDIT
Or from Farnell
https://uk.farnell.com/ideal/l-5361/blade-stripper-20-30awg/dp/290178
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:41:37 am by Robert763 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #65903 on: August 07, 2020, 09:30:03 am »
funny thing is that i had multiple clearances waaaaay above what they give to guard force morons. 

"No, I can't tell you what this is or why I'm bringing it through your little kingdom, but if you agree to forget my first superficial description (which was so shallow so as to be possible to tell you) and listen to this other description that is equally shallow but does not include trigger words you and your dogs have been Pavlov'ed on, can you then please let me go about my business?"

TBH I am taking a little bit of offense here. My Hubby is what you call a guard force moron, is a chemistry engineer and has worked in several high profile jobs until health problems forced him out.

He is taking his guard job extremely seriously, especially, when it comes to "Thou shalt not pass", and he knows a shitload of stuff about IEDs and improvised weapons.

His job is not to be nice to people, but to protect the diplomats and their families he is assigned to. From his work ethics you could easily see him as one of the Bengazi contractors that got killed in their line of duty.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #65904 on: August 07, 2020, 09:34:27 am »
And now you want a second one?  ;D

I sent a PM to my friend HighVoltage, he was the second highest bidder in the Ebay auction I won.... I hope he will speak with me again (<--- Good or bad joke?  :popcorn:)

He is a nice guy, I know him from the metrology meeting 2019 in Stuttgart. I'm sure, he will.  :-+  :D

HV just told me it was sold yesterday. Not to me or him. mmmm.....
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65905 on: August 07, 2020, 09:47:25 am »
And now you want a second one?  ;D

I sent a PM to my friend HighVoltage, he was the second highest bidder in the Ebay auction I won.... I hope he will speak with me again (<--- Good or bad joke?  :popcorn:)

He is a nice guy, I know him from the metrology meeting 2019 in Stuttgart. I'm sure, he will.  :-+  :D

HV just told me it was sold yesterday. Not to me or him. mmmm.....

Surprise! Surprise! .... not.   :(
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #65906 on: August 07, 2020, 09:48:58 am »
Here in South Aus the adjustable spanners are known as 'shifters' usually prefaced by their length eg  '6 inch shifter' despite our metrification about 45yrs ago.
My family heirloom is a pair of 4 foot long Stillsons, when they get to that size you need a pair of them and a set of steel capped boots. With those and an oxy nothing doesn't come undone (or twist off)

My favorite strippers are the Weidmuller Stripax - not good value but work well for me. The RS ones work reasonably well for significantly less. Also in South Aus RS are one of the better suppliers, they actually have a warehouse in the state, mouser and Digikey come from Singapore - everything takes a week and usually costs more - but bigger range etc. I go to RS for my jellybean parts.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65907 on: August 07, 2020, 09:55:52 am »
I took a last minute filght to once to fix a grounded aircraft. My carry on was an IFR ATC600A portable Transponder / DME (L band radar based Distance Measuring Equpment. The aircraft equipment also derives speed by integrating change in distance). Airport security asked me to switch it on, which I did, not noticing that it was in DME Velocity mode. The nice red (Panaplex) came on reading 60.0 - 59.9 - 59.8..... Security guard said "OK" and waved me through. This TE looks jus like a movie plot bomb and he didn't blink an eye  |O
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:58:12 am by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65908 on: August 07, 2020, 09:58:17 am »
Looks cool
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #65909 on: August 07, 2020, 10:21:19 am »

TBH I am taking a little bit of offense here. My Hubby is what you call a guard force moron, is a chemistry engineer and has worked in several high profile jobs until health problems forced him out.

He is taking his guard job extremely seriously, especially, when it comes to "Thou shalt not pass", and he knows a shitload of stuff about IEDs and improvised weapons.

His job is not to be nice to people, but to protect the diplomats and their families he is assigned to. From his work ethics you could easily see him as one of the Bengazi contractors that got killed in their line of duty.

No offense intended, but of course one can always choose ones words, more or less wisely.

The problem is no the guard, but the rules.

"Computers shall not pass"

"Network management device, Dell Latitude E7450, shall pass"

Especially so since the latter was much more dangerous to the installation, with it containing a Real Operating System, et c.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65910 on: August 07, 2020, 10:27:01 am »
Still emailing around the globe service companys of Anritsu for a user and or service manual, few responded back, they have no.
i wonder how they service it... at least they have responded, waiting a few more..
MF1603A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65911 on: August 07, 2020, 10:37:24 am »
Still emailing around the globe service companys of Anritsu for a user and or service manual, few responded back, they have no.
i wonder how they service it... at least they have responded, waiting a few more..
MF1603A

If you should get a copy, then please upload it here:

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Anritsu-Wiltron
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65912 on: August 07, 2020, 10:43:25 am »
MF1603A

If you should get a copy, then please upload it here:

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Anritsu-Wiltron

oh great... yes ofcaurse.... i might have an other, but still need to scan it. Marconi TF2414 / verner   no pdf found but i have a hardcopy that came with it.
good to have a place where it is available for free for others too

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65913 on: August 07, 2020, 10:43:50 am »
Wow, I'm gobsmacked, Capri have responded to my enquiry already, but sadly not good news.

Hi Graham,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, we are still unable to ship outside of the U.S. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Paulina
Customer Care

People. Passion. Quality.

1788 W 2nd Street. Pomona CA 91766
P: (888) 723-0550
support@capritools.com | www.capritools.com

:palm: |O

What about these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blades-for-Wire-Stripper-16-to-26-AWG-Klein-Tools-11074/264734861069?

They ship to the UK.

EDIT
Or from Farnell
https://uk.farnell.com/ideal/l-5361/blade-stripper-20-30awg/dp/290178
Thank you for the links, not sure how I missed the Farnell listing, I did a search but something must have not been quite right, it did produce some results but not the one you found. Up shot of it is that I have ordered a set from Farnell and should be me with Monday/Tuesday with a bit of luck.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65914 on: August 07, 2020, 10:44:28 am »

No offense intended, but of course one can always choose ones words, more or less wisely.

Especially so since the latter was much more dangerous to the installation, with it containing a Real Operating System, et c.

I can easily see where you are coming from, and I would be the first person to agree that many of the guards are not qualified to do their job, and those who are are grossly underpaid.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65915 on: August 07, 2020, 10:44:39 am »
HP goodness arrived.

Needs a good clean up and some work on some minor oxide growth and some repainting of the panel legend.

Guts are good. All capacitors check out as good ESR so are staying.

Other half of the guts.

And yep, other than the offset switch is a little scratchy and needs a blast of switch cleaner, it works perfectly:

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65916 on: August 07, 2020, 10:57:23 am »
looks fairly good, i expected wors.. nice!

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65917 on: August 07, 2020, 11:02:43 am »

I can easily see where you are coming from, and I would be the first person to agree that many of the guards are not qualified to do their job, and those who are are grossly underpaid.

there are exceptions.  but most often the guards are not read on to what is actually happening inside the big doors.  (usually only inside guys who retired and then got bored and hired on as guards).

but some are flat out morons.  true story.......in the middle of the night on a walking inspection of a little used tunnel two of the guards (morons) got bored and decided to have a "quick draw" contest .  only one died.  (it was a long long time ago.....but it actually happened).
free range primate

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65918 on: August 07, 2020, 11:09:12 am »
many in Hubby's team are ex-SWAT, ex-IDF, ... whom I trust to know their business well and do it in a very professional way.

some of his colleagues are total fuck tards that would fit your description.

He prefers working with professionals ...

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, nixiefreqq

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65919 on: August 07, 2020, 11:10:18 am »

Yeah ok so far. The corrosion is pretty awful. It's lunch now so I'm taking the side off and attempting to work some of it out with some scotchbrite and a brush.

Interestingly Asda's cheap yellow and green washing up pads have a similar outcome to 3m 7448 and are a lot cheaper  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65920 on: August 07, 2020, 11:26:40 am »
I used to hear the stories from the other side of the fence and the lady cop and her daily dealings with asshole public who didn't think the rules apply to them. Her precinct and school were in the Chinatown section of Manhattan. In order for an adult to get into the school for visitation or whatever you needed a valid id and sign in. Many Chinese have no id. Sorry, no get in. Many Chinese have fake id. Sorry, can spot that a mile away. No entry. Or they bring a COPY of their id. Sorry, original copy or no entry. Obviously she is well versed in Chinese curse words and it just rolls off her. And then you have the "privileged" white folks who try to intimidate a black woman. She gets a special satisfaction throwing them out.       
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65921 on: August 07, 2020, 11:28:11 am »

Yeah ok so far. The corrosion is pretty awful. It's lunch now so I'm taking the side off and attempting to work some of it out with some scotchbrite and a brush.

Interestingly Asda's cheap yellow and green washing up pads have a similar outcome to 3m 7448 and are a lot cheaper  :-DD

Fuck HP.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65922 on: August 07, 2020, 11:51:57 am »
Thank you Reichelt... you have the correct fuse-holder-cap for my keitley 199  :) :)
And the knops for the Farnell PSU ....

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65923 on: August 07, 2020, 11:54:00 am »
Turn out it seems very good... i thought the HP was 2 mV off... its a lot less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65924 on: August 07, 2020, 12:04:38 pm »
Couple more security examples.  In the mid / Late 90’s I was working on a couple of completely un-classified projects that happened to be based in a government  facility with high security (needed a fairly high level clearance just to be on site. Random car searches were the norm. Stopped once and asked to open boot (trunk) and the security guy and I look at the collection of kit that included:
Several hundred meters of aerospace grade cable
HF transceiver and other parts from a F4 Phantom
Mercury tilt switches
Can of diesel
Sealed lead acid batteries
Several pyrotechnic actuator squibs (in ammo can with holes drilled in it)
Dynamo exploder unit.
All that was missing was a bag of fertiliser. >:D
Guard “that all your stuff?”  Me “yes” ,  Guard “OK”, & closes boot.

A year or later I was driving a small van. I visited Johns Radio in Yorkshire to buy a bunch of TE (Remember them?) and having a look around spotted a stillage of computer and aircraft “bits” in the yard (It was just starting to snow) Asked what the deal was and John says “That’s just scrap, take what you want”. So I filled the van  ;D
After about a week of going in and out of the secure site I realised that a good portion of the kit had government property stickers and quite  bit had asset numbers related to the site I was on. :scared:
 Sent  John a cheque for £50 asking for a invoice for “qty of used equipment ex XXXXX”    :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf