Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14830157 times)

Vince and 154 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65925 on: August 07, 2020, 12:28:18 pm »
HP goodness arrived.

Needs a good clean up and some work on some minor oxide growth and some repainting of the panel legend.

Guts are good. All capacitors check out as good ESR so are staying.

Other half of the guts.

And yep, other than the offset switch is a little scratchy and needs a blast of switch cleaner, it works perfectly:

Very nice.  The HP 3310A plus the Tektronix TDS-210 has been the basis of my portable test kit for a long time.  I don't know if you were thinking about taking them on the road to test out local test equipment purchases but that's been one of my main uses for that combination of gear.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65926 on: August 07, 2020, 12:45:53 pm »
HP goodness arrived.

Needs a good clean up and some work on some minor oxide growth and some repainting of the panel legend.

Guts are good. All capacitors check out as good ESR so are staying.

Other half of the guts.

And yep, other than the offset switch is a little scratchy and needs a blast of switch cleaner, it works perfectly:

Very nice.  The HP 3310A plus the Tektronix TDS-210 has been the basis of my portable test kit for a long time.  I don't know if you were thinking about taking them on the road to test out local test equipment purchases but that's been one of my main uses for that combination of gear.

One day it will be on the road but in another way than you are thinking.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #65927 on: August 07, 2020, 12:46:16 pm »
many in Hubby's team are ex-SWAT, ex-IDF, ... whom I trust to know their business well and do it in a very professional way.

some of his colleagues are total fuck tards that would fit your description.

He prefers working with professionals ...

Couple more security examples.  In the mid / Late 90’s I was working on a couple of completely un-classified projects that happened to be based in a government  facility with high security (needed a fairly high level clearance just to be on site. Random car searches were the norm. Stopped once and asked to open boot (trunk) and the security guy and I look at the collection of kit that included:
Several hundred meters of aerospace grade cable
HF transceiver and other parts from a F4 Phantom
Mercury tilt switches
Can of diesel
Sealed lead acid batteries
Several pyrotechnic actuator squibs (in ammo can with holes drilled in it)
Dynamo exploder unit.
All that was missing was a bag of fertiliser. >:D
Guard “that all your stuff?”  Me “yes” ,  Guard “OK”, & closes boot.

A year or later I was driving a small van. I visited Johns Radio in Yorkshire to buy a bunch of TE (Remember them?) and having a look around spotted a stillage of computer and aircraft “bits” in the yard (It was just starting to snow) Asked what the deal was and John says “That’s just scrap, take what you want”. So I filled the van  ;D
After about a week of going in and out of the secure site I realised that a good portion of the kit had government property stickers and quite  bit had asset numbers related to the site I was on. :scared:
 Sent  John a cheque for £50 asking for a invoice for “qty of used equipment ex XXXXX”    :phew:

Like any walk of life, you get people who know their job and want to do it right, and those who are just there to collect their pay at the end of the week/month.

My own personal experience is of being waved through without checks to a very high security site in the mid-late 90s, because I "looked the part".  :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #65928 on: August 07, 2020, 12:49:58 pm »
TTi Alarm here! 223€!

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #65929 on: August 07, 2020, 01:15:21 pm »

Surprise! Surprise! .... not.   :(

HV got at the end a new DMM7510 from https://www.instrumex.de/...  :-+ Lovely

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, syau, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65930 on: August 07, 2020, 01:16:39 pm »
I believe Mr. ARDUINOSvsEVIL refers to them technically as nut fuckers.

I believe that's "Thumb detecting nut fucker". Never come across a more apt description.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65931 on: August 07, 2020, 01:17:27 pm »
Turn out it seems very good... i thought the HP was 2 mV off... its a lot less

(Attachment Link)

where did you obtain that voltage ref? I really need one with this growing collection  :-DD

I have the 3310A in pieces now. Cleaning up the frames. Looks like there was some liquid incursion at some point. Didn't do any major damage though which is good news.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #65932 on: August 07, 2020, 01:18:29 pm »
   TTi Alarm here! 223€!

*suddenly misses his Lambdas VERY MUCH* :-[

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #65933 on: August 07, 2020, 01:21:57 pm »
Python and https://www.selenium.dev/documentation/en/ , makes me feel like superman.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65934 on: August 07, 2020, 01:25:56 pm »

I believe that's "Thumb detecting nut fucker". Never come across a more apt description.

Nope. That's a specific variant with a hammer built into it. That is what my grand-dad called them, and he showed me the difference in some particularly grisly examples of well-gorrilla'd old toolery.

mnem
 :popcorn:

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65935 on: August 07, 2020, 01:26:12 pm »
funny thing is that i had multiple clearances waaaaay above what they give to guard force morons. 

"No, I can't tell you what this is or why I'm bringing it through your little kingdom, but if you agree to forget my first superficial description (which was so shallow so as to be possible to tell you) and listen to this other description that is equally shallow but does not include trigger words you and your dogs have been Pavlov'ed on, can you then please let me go about my business?"

TBH I am taking a little bit of offense here. My Hubby is what you call a guard force moron, is a chemistry engineer and has worked in several high profile jobs until health problems forced him out.

He is taking his guard job extremely seriously, especially, when it comes to "Thou shalt not pass", and he knows a shitload of stuff about IEDs and improvised weapons.

His job is not to be nice to people, but to protect the diplomats and their families he is assigned to. From his work ethics you could easily see him as one of the Bengazi contractors that got killed in their line of duty.

I think we all know the difference between a guard who takes their job seriously and does it with professionalism and courtesy, and the jumped up little man who exercises what little power they have wherever and whenever they can, just because they can. Tis the latter to which people refer here, and I seem to remember something about customs and a bow; that kind of idiot.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65936 on: August 07, 2020, 01:37:10 pm »

(Attachment Link)

where did you obtain that voltage ref? I really need one with this growing collection  :-DD

I have the 3310A in pieces now. Cleaning up the frames. Looks like there was some liquid incursion at some point. Didn't do any major damage though which is good news.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32722959699.html
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65937 on: August 07, 2020, 01:38:10 pm »
TTi Alarm here! 223€!

Why you did that???

.. now i am seriously considering it..
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65938 on: August 07, 2020, 01:41:38 pm »

This makes me

mnem
 :-BROKE ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65939 on: August 07, 2020, 01:44:08 pm »
TTi Alarm here! 223€!

Why you did that??? now i am seriously considering it..

mnem
Whaaaaaaat...?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65940 on: August 07, 2020, 01:48:43 pm »

Nope. That's a specific variant with a hammer built into it. That is what my grand-dad called them, and he showed me the difference in some particularly grisly examples of well-gorrilla'd old toolery.

mnem

I've seen many a Stilson used as a hammer. It doesn't have to have a hammer face built in by design for it to be used as one.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #65941 on: August 07, 2020, 01:56:56 pm »
TTi Alarm here! 223€!

Why you did that???

.. now i am seriously considering it..

If he does not want to ship it to NL, I will reship it to you free of charge.  >:D

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65942 on: August 07, 2020, 02:10:05 pm »
allmost did it... then realized i dont need an other ebay.... better i don't ... once i get started... :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65943 on: August 07, 2020, 02:20:59 pm »
Finished it off while waiting for some upgrades:

I have only cleaned it, removed any corrosion, polished the side frames. I haven't attempted to do anything riskier than that. BNCs will be polished once I've got some more dexterity back.

Scotchbrite followed by a quick once over with silvo and a polish with some old discarded school uniform  :-DD

Edit: original state.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:22:58 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic, duckduck, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65944 on: August 07, 2020, 02:33:58 pm »
Scotchbrite followed by a quick once over with silvo and a polish with some old discarded school uniform  :-DD

You got any wax crayons to go with that old school uniform? Seriously. Great stuff for filling in engraving like that. Scrub crayon into the engraving, polish off surface with a paper towel. (Apologies if teaching to suck eggs.)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65945 on: August 07, 2020, 02:35:18 pm »
Now that's a good idea. Was going to ask about that. Assuming it won't melt out of the gaps when it gets warm though. A thing I used to do at school was melt the things on a radiator  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65946 on: August 07, 2020, 02:41:05 pm »

mnem

I've seen many a Stilson used as a hammer. It doesn't have to have a hammer face built in by design for it to be used as one.

That would fall under the umbrella of "particularly grisly examples" which I spoke of.  :-DD However, only the ones made with a hammer portion on purpose are properly called a Thumb-Detecting Nut-fucker.

Evidently this (and many other such special "terms of endearment" for certain tools) was a "thing" among old-timers like him. Who am I to judge...? But I do feel somewhat honor-bound to pass on that "knowledge". ;)

mnem

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65947 on: August 07, 2020, 02:43:51 pm »
(No, because those are types of PLIERS!!  Not to be confused with slip-joint, needle-nose, linesman, etc!)

Never forget virgin (pliers), e.g. http://www.wholesaleengineeringsupplies.com/three-prong-pliers-virgin-pliers.html
This is a rather peculiar name for a Dreidorn-Tüllendehnzange. :o

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #65948 on: August 07, 2020, 02:47:46 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I just put a quick review together about it AD584KH.

its now SD still prosessing HD will be better in a few minutes..

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65949 on: August 07, 2020, 02:48:53 pm »
(No, because those are types of PLIERS!!  Not to be confused with slip-joint, needle-nose, linesman, etc!)

Never forget virgin (pliers), e.g. http://www.wholesaleengineeringsupplies.com/three-prong-pliers-virgin-pliers.html
This is a rather peculiar name for a Dreidorn-Tüllendehnzange. :o
Yeah.... I was wondering that myself. Those do look suspiciously similar to rubber-band de-nutting pliers commonly used on livestock.  :o

*realization dawns*  :-[ OMG... these pliers are used to expand tight sleeving used for cabling work.

Hence the colorful "term of endearment" referring to the phrase "tight like a virgin". :palm:

mnem
 :wtf:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:58:56 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf