Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14885566 times)

shakalnokturn, duckduck, Cesar_D and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65950 on: August 07, 2020, 02:52:19 pm »
I believe Mr. ARDUINOSvsEVIL refers to them technically as nut fuckers.

I believe that's "Thumb detecting nut fucker". Never come across a more apt description.

Nope. That's a specific variant with a hammer built into it. That is what my grand-dad called them, and he showed me the difference in some particularly grisly examples of well-gorrilla'd old toolery.

mnem
 :popcorn:
Are you referring to those:
1042644-0

We are calling them a 'French Wrench' (offense probably intended).

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #65952 on: August 07, 2020, 02:56:13 pm »
Ugh... some people are difficult to help...

I bought a complete box set of ST:V on ebay, only, when it arrived, it wasn't. It was a complete box set of ST:TNG. Now, since I already have that box set, I requested a refund and return label (directly, not through ebay), guy is apologetic about wrong description, sends return label via email.

Label printed, go to the PO today on my way home from work (only time I can get there atm is Friday avo after work, covid hours an' all that) and the postie says, "nope sorry, the weight is wrong, it's a label for 800g, this weighs 1,800 grams".

Now I gotta message the guy and tell him his label is no good, and ofc being a nice guy, I'm the one feeling bad...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65953 on: August 07, 2020, 02:56:54 pm »
(No, because those are types of PLIERS!!  Not to be confused with slip-joint, needle-nose, linesman, etc!)

Never forget virgin (pliers), e.g. http://www.wholesaleengineeringsupplies.com/three-prong-pliers-virgin-pliers.html
This is a rather peculiar name for a Dreidorn-Tüllendehnzange. :o
Yeah.... I was wondering that myself. Those do look suspiciously similar to rubber-band de-nutting pliers commonly used on livestock.  :o

*realization dawns*  :-[ OMG... these pliers are used to expand tight sleeving used for cabling work. Hence the "colorful term of endearment" referring to the phrase "tight like a virgin".

mnem
 :wtf:
Nope. They are used to stretch non-selfshrinking rubber tubing segments and cable entry strain relief sleeves over a wire or cable. The original one is from Hellermann.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65954 on: August 07, 2020, 03:00:23 pm »
Ummm.... how is what you said NOT what I said...?  :wtf:

mnem
 :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #65955 on: August 07, 2020, 03:00:38 pm »
I believe Mr. ARDUINOSvsEVIL refers to them technically as nut fuckers.

I believe that's "Thumb detecting nut fucker". Never come across a more apt description.

As mnem pointed out above several times, the mining wrench version of a crescent wrench with the hammer adjunct is the thumb detecting version as it, well, includes a thumb detector (aka. hammer, Saskatchewan Screwdriver, whatever you want to call the bashy smashy part.)   :-DD
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:14:09 pm by drussell »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65956 on: August 07, 2020, 03:02:52 pm »
Saskatchewan Screwdriver...?   ???  :-DD

mnem
Thanks for the belly laugh... I needed it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65957 on: August 07, 2020, 03:03:50 pm »

Surprise! Surprise! .... not.   :(

HV got at the end a new DMM7510 from https://www.instrumex.de/...  :-+ Lovely
I just got confirmation the used unit was sold. Probably for the better, I was contemplating doing something stupid.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #65958 on: August 07, 2020, 03:08:18 pm »
(No, because those are types of PLIERS!!  Not to be confused with slip-joint, needle-nose, linesman, etc!)

Never forget virgin (pliers), e.g. http://www.wholesaleengineeringsupplies.com/three-prong-pliers-virgin-pliers.html

From my point of view you've got that the wrong way round :)

Even google translate is confused, but with a little coaxing I can infer "three prong Tüllendehn prongs/pliers". Maybe google is used to having a few more words in German names?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65960 on: August 07, 2020, 03:12:22 pm »

mnem
Sorry, you posted and I thought I was responding to the previous one. As confused as a squirrel an a nut factory.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65961 on: August 07, 2020, 03:13:16 pm »
Tüllendehner means grommet stretcher, but I'd question why the word virgin is in the English advert. In English they are referred to as grommet stretchers/openers, at least in the automotive industry where they are extensively used.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65962 on: August 07, 2020, 03:14:00 pm »
Can you guys stop holding sousages in from of my nose... :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65963 on: August 07, 2020, 03:14:14 pm »

mnem
Sorry, you posted and I thought I was responding to the previous one. As confused as a squirrel an a nut factory.

I suspect the type of nuts they make in factories would have little appeal to a squirrel.

/pedantry
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65964 on: August 07, 2020, 03:19:30 pm »

mnem

I suspect the type of nuts they make in factories would have little appeal to a squirrel.

/pedantry

That's what I'm saying. :-//

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65965 on: August 07, 2020, 03:20:15 pm »
Now that's a good idea. Was going to ask about that. Assuming it won't melt out of the gaps when it gets warm though. A thing I used to do at school was melt the things on a radiator  :-DD

It's basically what the engraving pros did until the advent of those multi-layer engraving materials with the colours built in; except that it's 'engraving wax' or some such, comes in bigger lumps, but still I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of the door of the Crayola factory.

Shoemaker's polish would probably do the same trick (I mention it because I actually have some). It's a much harder wax, nothing like commercial shoe polish.

That's just come out of a toolbox in the 33ºC server/box room and it still feels hard to the touch of a fingernail. Kind of hard to find, especially compared to kid's crayons.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65966 on: August 07, 2020, 03:22:02 pm »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:24:24 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #65967 on: August 07, 2020, 03:25:25 pm »
Saskatchewan Screwdriver...?   ???  :-DD

mnem
Thanks for the belly laugh... I needed it.

That could be a regional (probably mostly just Alberta) thing.  :)

We tend to have quite the (mostly friendly) rivalry with Saskatchewan. 

Especially when the Roughriders are in town playing the Stampeders (CFL football) and vice-versa.  The stands at McMahon Stadium are often half green instead of red on those days as half of Saskatchewan drives here, often like 1000km just to see their team try to take on the Stamps.   ;)

At least there's only one Roughriders in the CFL now.  For years, out of nine teams two of them were named Roughriders.   :palm:
It's like... come on Canada, we're generally reasonably well educated, we know enough vocabulary to come up with nine different team names.    :D

(Of course, all Ottawa came up with was the RedBlacks, but that is Ontario, after all...  But I digress...)  :-DD

Oh, also... As an aside...
When I was a kid, I didn't realize it was called crescent because they were often made by the Crescent Tool company, rather just that the end was shaped somewhat like a crescent, like the moon.  Made perfect sense to me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65968 on: August 07, 2020, 03:26:15 pm »
However, only the ones made with a hammer portion on purpose are properly called a Thumb-Detecting Nut-fucker.

Don't you think that being overly precise in "comedy names for tools" is perhaps a tad pedantic? (Rhetorical question)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #65969 on: August 07, 2020, 03:26:55 pm »

Yeah.... I was wondering that myself. Those do look suspiciously similar to rubber-band de-nutting pliers commonly used on livestock.  :o

*realization dawns*  :-[ OMG... these pliers are used to expand tight sleeving used for cabling work.

Hence the colorful "term of endearment" referring to the phrase "tight like a virgin". :palm:

You and Neomys Sapiens are right, and the astute will note they are Hellerman Electric. The points are surprisingly vicious.

When I picked them up at a hamfest (knowing what they are used for), the vendor rather sheepishly asked me if I knew the colloquial name. When he mentioned it, it took several tens of milliseconds before I smiled.

Now, when being instructed to operate a push button, has nobody ever been told to "push the tit"? I wouldn't say that, oh no, never. Especially not to my daughter.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:33:30 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:28:44 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65971 on: August 07, 2020, 03:27:59 pm »

mnem

Happens to all of us.  :-+ Looks like this is gonna be another 6-page day...  :-DD

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65972 on: August 07, 2020, 03:29:12 pm »
Reasonably priced Thurlby 1905A:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143675530574

The following users thanked this post: TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65973 on: August 07, 2020, 03:29:51 pm »

mnem

Happens to all of us.  :-+ Looks like this is gonna be another 6-page day...  :-DD

mnem

I'm up for 7 if you are

Reasonably priced Thurlby 1905A:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143675530574

That's waaaay more than I paid, can I request a retrospective award?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:32:57 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65974 on: August 07, 2020, 03:34:06 pm »
However, only the ones made with a hammer portion on purpose are properly called a Thumb-Detecting Nut-fucker.

Don't you think that being overly precise in "comedy names for tools" is perhaps a tad pedantic? (Rhetorical question)

Yup. Sure do. This is just the place for that. >:D

Quote from: mnementh
Evidently this (and many other such special "terms of endearment" for certain tools) was a "thing" among old-timers like him. Who am I to judge...? But I do feel somewhat honor-bound to pass on that "knowledge". ;)

And I'm not the only one, evidently. See our current conversation re: "virgin pliers".  ;)

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf