Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14919478 times)

Gene and 157 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66300 on: August 09, 2020, 08:26:37 pm »
Fucking PHP is the problem. Everything else has a higher barrier of entry to keep the dumdums out.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mansaxel

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #66301 on: August 09, 2020, 08:27:49 pm »
Saskia a present for you, congrats you are doing pretty good between us EE gorillas.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66302 on: August 09, 2020, 08:30:03 pm »
I think in reality to be awarded the gong of Jammy Git, the price has to a real bargain and I don't think it was in this case, unfortunately  :(

How low would it have to be?  He paid $65 USD.
Shipping was that much as well, its the total package that counts.

No, it wasn't....
Including shipping and import fees it was under $100 USD...  (He said he ended up paying less than $135 CAD all-in.)
I think that's an incredible bargain. 

I'd take that in a heatbeat!!
Well maybe I'm being a tad to harsh, but either way to me its still CRT scope and over here the considered going rate for them is £1 a MHZ. Taking the 135Cad$ and converting to GBP is £77. It was also badly damaged, it was really cosmetically as it turned out but it could have been so much worse.

It's not a "CRT Scope" it is a fully digital 'scope with a computer display that happens to be a magnetically deflected raster CRT rater than an LCD. Personally I prefer that.

And in this case, the CRT is in like new condition, so random age-rather-than-hours related HV failures set aside, should serve its purpose as long as its owner does.

Though... I suppose next time I have window of availability for a random boredom project, I can reverse engineer the thing and figure out a interface for LCD as a backup. This thing has a flat-screen CRT; mechanically, LCD retrofit should be as simple as those HP SA kits we were talking about a few months back.

mnem
*off to sell a sewing machine*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66303 on: August 09, 2020, 08:34:28 pm »
I think in reality to be awarded the gong of Jammy Git, the price has to a real bargain and I don't think it was in this case, unfortunately  :(

No, it wasn't....
Including shipping and import fees it was under $100 USD...  (He said he ended up paying less than $135 CAD all-in.)

Well maybe I'm being a tad to harsh, but either way to me its still CRT scope and over here the considered going rate for them is £1 a MHZ. Taking the 135Cad$ and converting to GBP is £77. It was also badly damaged, it was really cosmetically as it turned out but it could have been so much worse.

It's not a "CRT Scope" it is a fully digital 'scope with a computer display that happens to be a magnetically deflected raster CRT rater than an LCD. Personally I prefer that.

And in this case, the CRT is in like new condition, so random age-rather-than-hours related HV failures set aside, should serve its purpose as long as its owner does.

Though... I suppose next time I have window of availability for a random boredom project, I can reverse engineer the thing and figure out a interface for LCD as a backup. This thing has a flat-screen CRT; mechanically, LCD retrofit should be as simple as those HP SA kits we were talking about a few months back.

mnem

See second last page of the CLIP PDF for the 54601. Same CRT. First PDF in list:

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=HP_Agilent/HP_54601_Digital_Storage_Oscilloscope

Not sure of the interface but it has vsync, hsync, HHB, HFB connections at TTL levels and sucks up 5v and 12v and that’s it. Probably something LCD off the shelf can get chucked in it. Never looked at it. The CRT modules are well known for the caps drying out though so check them. The troublesome ones are at the fat end of the CRT to the left looking at the rear of the unit.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:46:16 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66304 on: August 09, 2020, 08:47:23 pm »
So the sit down to catch your breath had nothing to do with the two female singers then no?  ;)
We've seen women before, Specmaster.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66305 on: August 09, 2020, 08:52:35 pm »
24 kHz line and 60Hz frame. A Gonbes GBS-8200 converter and 7" bare VGA display shold be a almost turn key solution.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66306 on: August 09, 2020, 08:57:51 pm »

One of those examples that demonstrates why you shouldn't trust the press. It's reasonable to believe that first picture is illustrating crowds today or yesterday. It isn't.  That first picture shows Brighton Pier in the background. Which means the kid must be jumping into the water from Hove Pier, which hasn't been open to the public since 1975, hasn't been accessible from the shore since 1991 and was subsequently finally demolished in 2010 after a series of fires and storm damage over the years reduced it to unsalvageable condition.
People often get their panties in a bunch over similar "incidents" and see malice but the press using stock or archive footage makes sense from the most mundane practical point of view. Though the other images seem to explicitly recent.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66307 on: August 09, 2020, 09:03:20 pm »

No, it wasn't....

mnem

we hp54601a fanboys will be very interested to see what you come up with.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66308 on: August 09, 2020, 09:04:05 pm »
Even if they can't sing a note Italians will always be more desirable.  ;D

At this point she's as old and wrinkly as you are.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #66309 on: August 09, 2020, 09:05:42 pm »
This is strange:

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66310 on: August 09, 2020, 09:12:04 pm »
Even if they can't sing a note Italians will always be more desirable.  ;D

At this point she's as old and wrinkly as you are.

Perhaps so but she looks damn good for over 80.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66311 on: August 09, 2020, 09:17:29 pm »
Well it seems that claims that the heat has fried the brains of us Brits might not too far from the truth after all  :palm: :-DD

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53714894

One of those examples that demonstrates why you shouldn't trust the press. It's reasonable to believe that first picture is illustrating crowds today or yesterday. It isn't.  That first picture shows Brighton Pier in the background. Which means the kid must be jumping into the water from Hove Pier, which hasn't been open to the public since 1975, hasn't been accessible from the shore since 1991 and was subsequently finally demolished in 2010 after a series of fires and storm damage over the years reduced it to unsalvageable condition.

Yes the photo might be an old one, couldn't really say either way but it seems that the old pier was not demolished in 2010 as google claim the attached image is June 2019 and the remains of the pier are clearly still there.

That is besides the point however, the point that I was making is the claim made by the coastguards that this weekend they have a record number of rescues carried out.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #66312 on: August 09, 2020, 09:40:57 pm »
@bd139
we eat what we catch. Anything else would be against my belief system.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66313 on: August 09, 2020, 09:49:34 pm »
That’s good with me. Nice to hear it  :-+

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66314 on: August 09, 2020, 09:54:11 pm »
@bd139
Well Saskia, as laudable as this sounds, I very much hope that you apply this principle AFTER checking if it can be called food. I would not endorse putting that odd boot on the grill.. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66315 on: August 09, 2020, 10:02:21 pm »
So what do hobbyist usually spend the most money on, for a single item....their oscilloscope ? Maybe a spectrum analyzer if they have 1 ?

I should start saving $30/month now, and in 2 years w/ extra money, actually get a good 1GHz scope.

What kind of scope would that be?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66316 on: August 09, 2020, 10:03:51 pm »

mnem

See second last page of the CLIP PDF for the 54601. Same CRT. First PDF in list:

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=HP_Agilent/HP_54601_Digital_Storage_Oscilloscope

Not sure of the interface but it has vsync, hsync, HHB, HFB connections at TTL levels and sucks up 5v and 12v and that’s it. Probably something LCD off the shelf can get chucked in it. Never looked at it. The CRT modules are well known for the caps drying out though so check them. The troublesome ones are at the fat end of the CRT to the left looking at the rear of the unit.

Thanks. I did a quick visual before the live fire test (to make sure I didn't get to meet any live fire ;)) and they all look pristine without trace of leakage on the PCB. But... livestock, etc. I should def check and probably replace all the DC rail caps at least; but I see that as an issue that can wait til after the move.  :-+

24 kHz line and 60Hz frame. A Gonbes GBS-8200 converter and 7" bare VGA display shold be a almost turn key solution.

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure what would be right. I believe I recall reading somewhere that it uses a 1000-line display; so what; 1280 x 960 in 4:3 aspect? I can't remember the last time I saw that in the wild. ???

SOLD! Please excuse me while I have a Ferengi moment and just enjoy the well-earned proceeds of two curb-score sewing machines...
  >:D

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66317 on: August 09, 2020, 10:07:07 pm »
Who's that on the $50 CDN note?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline isometrik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66318 on: August 09, 2020, 10:11:35 pm »
William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister, 1921-30 and 1935-48

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/bank-note-series/frontiers/50-polymer-note/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66319 on: August 09, 2020, 10:14:30 pm »
   *returns from rummaging in the fridge and not finding any sweet Italian sausage, decides to make do with ham scraps, slightly assorted cheeses & garlic dills*   Cooool... 

mnem
8)
What are those plastic covered, brick-like things?

*looks down, stirring floor impotently with one beclawed toe* Those...  :-[  are what my wife brings home when I ask for cheese. I DO occasionally hit the deli for some real cheese with a proper rind; but up here especially it is pretty pricey, so rarely lasts long enough to make it home.

In my defense, they DO have some pretty fair pickles in the grocery up here; Nathan's are as good as you're going to get for cold-pack, and there's a local maker that still does traditional blanch & bottle hot-pack with too much garlic, dill, baby onions & pimentos.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66320 on: August 09, 2020, 10:22:00 pm »

mnem

Thanks. I did a quick visual before the live fire test (to make sure I didn't get to meet any live fire ;)) and they all look pristine without trace of leakage on the PCB. But... livestock, etc. I should def check and probably replace all the DC rail caps at least; but I see that as an issue that can wait til after the move.  :-+

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure what would be right. I believe I recall reading somewhere that it uses a 1000-line display; so what; 1280 x 960 in 4:3 aspect? I can't remember the last time I saw that in the wild. ???

SOLD! Please excuse me while I have a Ferengi moment and just enjoy the well-earned proceeds of two curb-score sewing machines...
  >:D

mnem
 :-/O

ummmmm.  just a thought.

while you were in there did you check the date code on the dallas nvram?  (am thinking that it may not outlive you per the plan)

replaced the one in my hp54601 with separate sram, controller chip, and battery. (encapsulated batteries really piss me off)

but iirc yours uses an 8kx8 (and maybe STMicro vice dallas?), and mine was a 2kx8. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-54601a-nvram-substitute/

free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66321 on: August 09, 2020, 10:23:23 pm »
@bd139
Well Saskia, as laudable as this sounds, I very much hope that you apply this principle AFTER checking if it can be called food. I would not endorse putting that odd boot on the grill.. :-DD

Any boot she reels in is gonna have a viking inside it... then the question becomes whether to cook it or party with it.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66322 on: August 09, 2020, 10:27:50 pm »

Yes the photo might be an old one, couldn't really say either way but it seems that the old pier was not demolished in 2010 as google claim the attached image is June 2019 and the remains of the pier are clearly still there.

Most was demolished, quite why they didn't finish the very last bit I don't know. Probably just too dangerous or expensive, I wouldn't be surprised if getting rid of the remaining bit would involve lots of explosives, divers or both - it's well into an area that is always underwater. What's there now is a tiny fraction of what was.

The pier in 1973 at low tide:

After the pier originally closed there was many efforts to save it, all of which failed, and it was left to get into worse and worse condition. The straw that broke the camels back was the storms of 1987 - as not predicted by Michael Fish - that almost certainly took it beyond economic repair then. It dragged on for years after that with the West Pier Society (or some such similar name) making various moves towards restoration, but not making any actual progress.  It was clear by the end of last century that it was never going to happen. Then more collapsed at various times, there were two (I think) fires - leaving a rusting skeleton that was a serious hazard on the promenade, beach, foreshore and in the water. The pier was actually a grade I listed 'building' so couldn't be actively demolished until English Heritage de-listed it, which they finally did and finally it was demolished.

Each time I went to visit my mum there was another slice of decline to observe. It was, in a way, quite a sad thing to see because as a lad I'd had some good times on that pier.

As to whether it's still a new photo? I doubt a Reuters press photographer is going to swim out to the few remaining rusty girders with his $6,500 Nikon D6 in tow, climb up with some little scallywag who shouldn't be there, get his shot and swim back. Na, it's old, I suspect really quite old.

I actual stood on that pier in 1973 (when only the shore-side part of it was still open) with the crappy Zenith B SLR camera I'd bought with my previous year's birthday money and took photos of Sid James and all the crew running around making "Carry On Girls". The film unit's stills photographer came over and chatted to me and gave me several reels of 35mm colour neg film - quite an expensive luxury from my perspective at that time.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #66323 on: August 09, 2020, 10:29:24 pm »
when I was in the Burlington area I could not fail to notice how expensive food in Canada was.

Anyway. Normally I reel in Cod and flounder. I did have a Giant Trevally not long ago, though.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66324 on: August 09, 2020, 10:31:40 pm »
So what do hobbyist usually spend the most money on, for a single item....their oscilloscope ? Maybe a spectrum analyzer if they have 1 ?

I should start saving $30/month now, and in 2 years w/ extra money, actually get a good 1GHz scope.
I'm not sure monetary value is the best metric. Some items require an investment of time and others you just get silly deals on, sometimes after investing a fair amount of time. Focus on your requirements and try to meet those. If that entails 5 lab supplies then that's where the money goes. Do you really need 1GHz capabilities?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf