Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14790965 times)

Kosmic, K0ELB and 148 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66675 on: August 13, 2020, 01:23:10 pm »
Me: Hi, can you quote me for delivery to Address A?
Them: Sure, xxx€.
Me: OK, just make sure it's Address A.
Them: Here's the invoice, it actually shows a German address but it will be delivered to Belgium  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Me: OK, don't forget: Address A

**Some time passes**

**RING** **RING**

Transporter: Yeah, I've got a package for you? Mr. Ice-Tea, Address B?

Every. Single. Time.

Anyways:

I know where those came from I drive and pick up the lots I've won. The let me do this for that auction despite Covid 19.

Guessing most of the brits around here are aware where these came from ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66676 on: August 13, 2020, 01:34:19 pm »
need some more ?

:-DD LOL IRL.

Thanks... while I would love to help you empty out your house, I'm afraid I have to prioritize emptying my own first...  :o

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66677 on: August 13, 2020, 01:37:52 pm »
Seeing as I have other counters that adequately cover up to 20 GHz, that isn't a problem. I actually wanted a lower-frequency counter.  :-+ The 8082A is supposedly fully working...I've not been burned by Sphere yet.
A low frequency counter? Just use your remaining fingers and toes.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66678 on: August 13, 2020, 01:39:06 pm »
In the cupboard of doom with the TG320 and TDS210 and loads of other crap :)

What? I thought the PL302, TG320 and TDS210 were good items and that you were happy with them, now I guess you're waiting for the next £1 listing day to flip them again  :palm:

No - they're just in storage until needed. The HP stack stays out only because it looks nice and doesn't take up a whole load of room. The bench is primarily a desk now so I need to keep it tidy where possible.

My HP stack. They are surprisingly heavy. You can't lift both together without busting a nut. But that cheap Walmart portable bookcase on wheels handles the load like it's not even there. Since I've never experienced Ikea stuff would it be better or worse?  :-//

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #66679 on: August 13, 2020, 01:58:02 pm »
More chores. Rearranging my stuff.
Electronic load now integrated.

Fuck, I need a 200 sqm warehouse.

(Attachment Link)

What METTLER is that?

AT 400

Official present I got from our pathology lab when I left for the other site. It seems that they liked me.
Pity I could not take the centrifuge (180000 rpm ...)

Missed your answer, sorry.
I have an AT21, it was discarded as it will not start.
A simple loose contact solved the problem :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66680 on: August 13, 2020, 02:00:56 pm »
My HP stack. They are surprisingly heavy. You can't lift both together without busting a nut. But that cheap Walmart portable bookcase on wheels handles the load like it's not even there. Since I've never experienced Ikea stuff would it be better or worse?  :-//

Ikea stuff is particle board and glue. This isn't creaking so I reckon it'd take that fine. For the money (55 pom bucks) it's fine. The desk I've got which is the same could take lard equipped me when I bought it fine :)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66681 on: August 13, 2020, 02:22:07 pm »
This is for our TEA-Dwagon.   >:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #66682 on: August 13, 2020, 02:27:49 pm »
Which Brymen does have a 15V test mode for diodes?
This is one of the features I'm finding very useful.
And the low burden is also a feature which can be rarely found in handheld DMMs.

Nice features for sure, but these are a little too much for me.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #66683 on: August 13, 2020, 02:47:22 pm »
Ikea stuff is particle board and glue.

Except for the very thick bits of wood. They are mostly honeycomb cardboard (literally) and air, glued to a thin laminate surface.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #66684 on: August 13, 2020, 02:52:51 pm »
Tetris almost done...

no clue how this arrived to my door, becouse wife said i can not order before i play with my todo pile.... must be a late delivery  :-DD

this milivolt meter goes up to 1200V according to its sticker. on the bottom.. :box:
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66685 on: August 13, 2020, 03:07:11 pm »

Ikea stuff is particle board and glue. This isn't creaking so I reckon it'd take that fine. For the money (55 pom bucks) it's fine. The desk I've got which is the same could take lard equipped me when I bought it fine :)

This bookcase is also covered solid particle board but no glue, all screw assembly. It's made by Saunders which is a well known furniture maker from down south in North Carolina. I have 2 of them. About $30 USD each if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:11:48 pm by med6753 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66686 on: August 13, 2020, 03:14:04 pm »

Except for the very thick bits of wood. They are mostly honeycomb cardboard (literally) and air, glued to a thin laminate surface.

Wow, didn't know Ikea went THAT cheap. Good to know if I ever find myself in an Ikea store. (Unlikely, nearest is over an hour away in Jersey).

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #66687 on: August 13, 2020, 03:15:32 pm »

:scared:
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66688 on: August 13, 2020, 03:17:27 pm »
(Attachment Link)

:scared:

Not to worry. He's just making sure the animals are still in their cages.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66689 on: August 13, 2020, 03:20:02 pm »

So too are the doors in most people's houses. Plywood, some cardboard with wood edges to take the hinges and latches. It least Ikea glues the honeycomb to the panels, most doors I've seen in trashed form just have a loose infill attached in few places.

Vis:

Nothing wrong with it as a construction technique in general. All a door or a tabletop is, from a materials engineering point of view, is a beam. The stiffness of a (prism) beam is proportional to the cube of its thickness and all the internal forces are comparatively small and in shear. Of course it's lousy for doors, not because of strength issues, but because of fire resistance or lack thereof.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66690 on: August 13, 2020, 03:22:36 pm »
Fingers crossed here for you as well. Thoughts from all of us here.

Well I survived. The rainbow crap drawers which are slowly being crushed by the HP stack are going finally.

Construction complete at lunch time. This feels like it might not collapse with a couple more power supplies chucked on it.

Parrot incursion already.

Thats not a stack, below is my analyser stack From the top, HP 16662A LA, GPStar GPSDO,R&S CRTU-RU, CMW-CU (running FRES making the CRTU a scalar network analyser), Another CRTU-RU, Rack PC, rack drawer keyboard montor with switch, HP 8754A NA, HP 8568B SA.
It's ll on  two drawer filing cabinet. Getting a bit high, I might have to sellone of the CRTU-RUs. They are set-up like a CMU-200 so 2.7 GHz SA, signal generator and power meter.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66691 on: August 13, 2020, 03:23:23 pm »
Over here most interior doors (bedrooms, etc) are hollow core. There's nothing inside other than the outer frame. But they are not code for entry/exit doors which must be solid.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66692 on: August 13, 2020, 03:24:32 pm »
hey dragon is that real or did you photopaste it?

if real.......that is great.....a hell of a lot better than a tetris game i played for 30 seconds and then almost forgot about. am now looking sideways at my 54601 and thinking......hmmmmmm............54645?

Just for you, freqq... cuz you asked so nice.  >:D

Actually now that I think of it, I'm not sure that's how they draw this image; that's how the process was described in an article I read forever ago about how Tek drew the Wizard of Id on a skateboard.  :-// Obvi, that is not necessarily how HP did it on these scopes.

I couldn't find the Tetris game on mine, OR the Centipede game that the 54645A supposedly came with. This discussion suggests that whichever game, it was actually stored in the Printer/GPIB/Math module, which mine doesn't have. I can't complain given the price I paid. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66693 on: August 13, 2020, 03:26:16 pm »
hey dragon is that real or did you photopaste it?

if real.......that is great.....a hell of a lot better than a tetris game i played for 30 seconds and then almost forgot about. am now looking sideways at my 54601 and thinking......hmmmmmm............54645?

Just for you, freqq... cuz you asked so nice.  >:D

Actually now that I think of it, I'm not sure that's how they draw this image; that's how the process was described in an article I read forever ago about how Tek drew the Wizard of Id on a skateboard.  :-// Obvi, that is not necessarily how HP did it on these scopes.

I couldn't find the Tetris game on mine, OR the Centipede game that the 54645A supposedly came with. This discussion suggests that whichever game, it was actually stored in the Printer/GPIB/Math module, which mine doesn't have. I can't complain given the price I paid. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Well, play nice with it or else the badger will come out and bite you.  :-DD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66694 on: August 13, 2020, 03:28:44 pm »

So too are the doors in most people's houses. Plywood, some cardboard with wood edges to take the hinges and latches. It least Ikea glues the honeycomb to the panels, most doors I've seen in trashed form just have a loose infill attached in few places.

Vis:

Nothing wrong with it as a construction technique in general. All a door or a tabletop is, from a materials engineering point of view, is a beam. The stiffness of a (prism) beam is proportional to the cube of its thickness and all the internal forces are comparatively small and in shear. Of course it's lousy for doors, not because of strength issues, but because of fire resistance or lack thereof.

Same construction is also common in aircraft. Either paper or foil. Light and stiff.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:17:15 pm by Robert763 »

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #66695 on: August 13, 2020, 03:30:20 pm »
Anritsu MF1603A FrequencyCounter. #3
After weeks of looking on internet and emailing several Anritsu offices and service companies..
Ian from Anritsu UK is my hero of the day.

---
Hello Tony,
Thank you for contacting Anritsu EMEA region customer technical support.
I will send you a OneDrive share to access the scanned operation manual.
These are the only documents available due to the age.
Best regards
Ian

:-+ :-+
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Zucca, BU508A, med6753, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66696 on: August 13, 2020, 03:33:43 pm »
   This is for our TEA-Dwagon.   >:D

Ummm... thanks...?  :o

But I didn't eat my unicorn; I married her. ;)

mnem
That's not to say she isn't tasty...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #66697 on: August 13, 2020, 03:36:23 pm »
Over here most interior doors (bedrooms, etc) are hollow core. There's nothing inside other than the outer frame. But they are not code for entry/exit doors which must be solid.

You are probably right. But none of the doors in my house (nor previous houses), my mother's house nor my daughter's flat are like that - maybe that's why it hasn't impinged on my consciousness.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66698 on: August 13, 2020, 03:36:33 pm »

Wow, didn't know Ikea went THAT cheap. Good to know if I ever find myself in an Ikea store. (Unlikely, nearest is over an hour away in Jersey).

You can find the whole range at Ikea, full woods to glued stuff. Normally if it's really cheap there is no miracle it's going to be the glued stuff  :)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66699 on: August 13, 2020, 03:39:59 pm »
You get what you pay for. There's always a crap tier but the slightly higher tiers are a lot better.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf