Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14905389 times)

cherrylee, Jambalaya and 199 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69400 on: September 14, 2020, 11:59:40 am »
New video from Shahriar.  :)

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, salvagedcircuitry, bd139, Kosmic, syau, 0culus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69401 on: September 14, 2020, 12:12:06 pm »
Firat proper disk based operating system I used was CPM. For a while I had a DEC Rainbow 100+ with dual processors, Z80 and 8088 so you could run CPM or DOS. First Windows I used was 3.0. First CAD was ROBOCAD on an Apple IIe. First "computer" was a Science of Cambridge" MK14 SC-MP based thing. Terrible bit of kit but I found the manual a few years ago and it got £60 on ebay. Many happy years using BBC Bs including as ATE and for data logging.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69402 on: September 14, 2020, 12:34:10 pm »
Never heard of Edward Hopper. But then my total knowledge of the art world wouldn't even fit on a thimble.  ::)

Philistine! He was one of the best known American painters of the 20th Century, and from your home state no less. Next you're going to be telling us you've never heard of Norman Rockwell, also from New York.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69403 on: September 14, 2020, 12:44:13 pm »
Never heard of Edward Hopper. But then my total knowledge of the art world wouldn't even fit on a thimble.  ::)

Philistine! He was one of the best known American painters of the 20th Century, and from your home state no less. Next you're going to be telling us you've never heard of Norman Rockwell, also from New York.

Who?  :-// ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69404 on: September 14, 2020, 12:51:10 pm »

rockwell was good.  eakins was better (score one for pennsylvania)   

(oh and the other problem with norman rockwell was that people often confused him with george lincoln rockwell)
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69405 on: September 14, 2020, 01:00:30 pm »

That makes me a philistine as well because I've never heard of either of them  :-DD :-DD

The various avenues this thread takes from time can be very enlightening and entertaining, we have a very broad spectrum of intellects on here and that to my mind adds to the huge appeal of this lovely community we have built here, keep it chaps. :-+
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:03:37 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69406 on: September 14, 2020, 01:03:19 pm »

That makes me a philistine as well because I've never heard of either of them  :-DD :-DD

Well, you're from Essex, in't ya?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69407 on: September 14, 2020, 01:05:58 pm »

Well, you're from Essex, in't ya?  :)
True but that has naff all to do with it, you can be a Philistine and come anywhere, London even or further afield  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69408 on: September 14, 2020, 01:13:38 pm »

The various avenues this thread takes from time can be very enlightening and entertaining, we have a very broad spectrum of intellects on here and that to my mind adds to the huge appeal of this lovely community we have built here, keep it chaps. :-+

Yep, and I guess I can add "philistine" to my list of supposedly undesirable characteristics. If I were on the Titanic I'd barely qualify for 4th class and definitely be sleeping with the fishes. But that's OK. I'd rather be a "Low brow" rather than a "High Brow" with my nose in the air like my shit don't stink. My shit stinks, bad.  :-DD

Gee....now I'm gonna have to fight off Saskia with a stick.  :P :P :-DD 

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69409 on: September 14, 2020, 01:18:13 pm »
Now something different   8)

charge first.. :palm:  :scared:

I'm definitely interested in purchasing one of these. Looking forward to your video review.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69410 on: September 14, 2020, 01:32:12 pm »
Now something different   8)

charge first.. :palm:  :scared:

I'm definitely interested in purchasing one of these. Looking forward to your video review.  :-+

am also interested to see what tony thinks of it.

already have an rf explorer 3g combo, but some times it does really annoying stuff (especially in auto dsp mode).  also have an sdr play that makes a pretty good SA for quick or casual stuff (but it needs to be usb connected to my netbook). 

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #69411 on: September 14, 2020, 01:47:30 pm »
 :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: Oscilloscope clock DIY kit with tube  :palm: :palm: :palm:

If the wife hears, we all know what time it is... :)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69412 on: September 14, 2020, 02:01:12 pm »
:palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: Oscilloscope clock DIY kit with tube  :palm: :palm: :palm:

I have a fully functional 3EP1 CRT which would be perfect for that.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #69413 on: September 14, 2020, 02:04:27 pm »

Yes indeed!
There are also only the 2 boards available.... logic + driver..
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69414 on: September 14, 2020, 02:16:20 pm »
If this is chinese fake... they do a hell of a good job!.

not bad for 59,- to my door. 8)

I ordered one too  ^-^

I'll let you know if it's real or not. Got a legit Keysight over here to compare.

Little update, it's 100% Fake. More info and pictures once my dispute on Ali conclude.

Ok so the case is finally close and the great Ali ruled on my side and was completely refunded. Initially I wanted to return the product, but on aliexpress, you need to pay returns fee. So I ended up opening a case only for a refund and gave the option to return the item if the seller pay the return fee.

I decided to try and buy one for 2 reasons, #1 The seller was specifically saying that they were not fake on the listing (yeah I guess I should know better) #2 Until now I only seen fake Agilent branded 82357B. Most Keysight 82357B were actually original.

They are definitely working really hard on the packaging and documentations.

Now some comparisons of the adapter itself, I circled in red some differences but you can probably find a lot more:

Texture of the case is not the same. Printing is a bit fussy on the fake one.

They use the wrong crystal, missing a transistor, they are not using Agilent 1822-0639 GPIB chip but an equivalent, TMS9914.

The enclosure is not shielded, Led diffuser doesn't have the same opacity.

They are not using exactly the same Bus transceiver. Should be 75ALS162, they use an older version, SN75162B.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:20:39 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69415 on: September 14, 2020, 02:34:19 pm »
If this is chinese fake... they do a hell of a good job!.

not bad for 59,- to my door. 8)

I ordered one too  ^-^

I'll let you know if it's real or not. Got a legit Keysight over here to compare.

Little update, it's 100% Fake. More info and pictures once my dispute on Ali conclude.

Ok so the case is finally close and the great Ali ruled on my side and was completely refunded. Initially I wanted to return the product, but on aliexpress, you need to pay returns fee. So I ended up opening a case only for a refund and gave the option to return the item if the seller pay the return fee.

I decided to try and buy one for 2 reasons, #1 The seller was specifically saying that they were not fake on the listing (yeah I guess I should know better) #2 Until now I only seen fake Agilent branded 82357B. Most Keysight 82357B were actually original.

They are definitely working really hard on the packaging and documentations.

Now some comparisons of the adapter itself, I circled in red some differences but you can probably find a lot more:

Functionality wise it's working. It's correctly detected by Keysight IO libraries and I was able to hook up 2 instruments.

There's something weird though. Over time it's getting really hot, look like something is overheating inside. After been left for 24H connected it start crashing. If you cool it down it start working again.

Thermal picture with the case on. The real 82357B is on the left, the fake on the right.

Now only the fake 82357B with the case off. Look like the SN75162B chip is getting really hot for some reason. Looking at the spec it's really similar to the 75ALS162  :-//
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:36:02 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, syau, tonyalbus

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #69416 on: September 14, 2020, 02:49:40 pm »
Now only the fake 82357B with the case off. Look like the SN75162B chip is getting really hot for some reason. Looking at the spec it's really similar to the 75ALS162  :-//

Except for a more than 50% greater power dissipation per channel...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69417 on: September 14, 2020, 02:51:57 pm »
Keeps the chinese cockroach eggs warm.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69418 on: September 14, 2020, 02:54:27 pm »

Yes indeed!
What about the power supply?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69419 on: September 14, 2020, 02:58:22 pm »
On other notes:   Happy Birthday Windows ME!   
Never had the dis-pleasure of using it. I went directly from WIN95 to XP.
Us too but first it was 3.11, 95, 95SE........
I went from CP/M & DOS straight to Win98. Have never once regretted the "missed opportunity" of all the intervening versions that looked and ran like they were written in QBASIC. :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:01:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #69420 on: September 14, 2020, 02:59:33 pm »

Yes indeed!
What about the power supply?

You can probably find all the parts you need inside this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEKTRONIX-468-DIGITAL-STORAGE-OSCILLOSCOPE-PP3/224107574495

:popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69421 on: September 14, 2020, 03:09:14 pm »
I went from CP/M & DOS straight to Win98. Have never once regretted the "missed opportunity" of all the intervening versions that looked and ran like they were written in QBASIC. :palm:

There was a nicer version of QBASIC called PDS 7, then VB DOS. Those were pretty awesome. I actually had a load of shit wired up in VBDOS to do automated testing once. Gorilla.bas in QBASIC was an insult to the capability of the platform.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69422 on: September 14, 2020, 03:32:37 pm »

Whoa ! My man !! :-DD :-DD

Self portrait.  :P :P :-DD   

You don't give yourself enough credit buddy. You ARE slightly more evolved than that.  :-DD

mnem
grr. arg.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:38:33 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69423 on: September 14, 2020, 04:06:10 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fnirsi-1013d-100mhz-tablet-oscilloscope/msg3230968/?topicseen#msg3230968

a brand new DSO  :)
Ya didn't.  :oReally ?   50mV max sensitivity will take some getting used to compared to the old Tek gear you have.

Yeah, I saw that a few months ago; got excited by the price then saw the brand and went *blerk*

A week or two later I started seeing videos all saying pretty much the same thing: It was pretty much the same as its predecessor, only a repackaged into a larger screen.

Haven't given it a second thought since.

mnem
That one is  :-BROKE right outta the box. :palm:
Everyone wants to see squiggly lines for zero cost. ::)
Sure the BW of that thing is what it is and yet could be enough for many basic tasks however its max sensitivity is entirely a big pile of poo when if you connect a 10x probe to it best is 500mV/div !  :--
Entirely inadequate for most tasks you need a scope for. 
Yep  :-BROKE

that is what you can get for this money, nothing more.
The little scope is ok. I see no way to compare it with a 600$ unit

You are completely missing the entire point of this little group.

You can easily do better for a lot less. I have $150 tied up in this little beast, repair parts included. For the very few times I need a portable scope, I can quite happily spend $100 on a decent small sine-wave inverter to plug into one of my RC LiPos (another $75 with a charger if I bought it again) and have an actual oscilloscope for far less than $600, or about what the fnirsi costs.

That thing... it is not a scope. It is a box that displays a squiggly line which barely approximates a very strong signal. I doubt it would even really be adequate for Automotive Tech use.

We are talking the difference between a 8KHz MP3 and a 256K FLAC.

Remember too... the HP will exceed its spec in almost every aspect. That toy will never really meet spec.

mnem
Good money after bad.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 04:33:16 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69424 on: September 14, 2020, 04:06:46 pm »
@bd139 Looks like you are not the only one who sends out offers in an attempt to shift some gear, because I'm watching the Windows Advisor books to see if it sells, I received this offer today  :-DD

Lets see what happens then  >:D

Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf