Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14916169 times)

Robert763 and 268 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69825 on: September 19, 2020, 05:57:37 am »
To be fair with the mainframe guys they were lying to sell training courses :-DD

The complexity in mainframes is mostly "they have silly names for everything" and "the bootIPL (silly, I said!) scripts are in JCL".

Yes, I'm over-simplifying here, but having tried to get a MVS machine going on Hercules, that is my experience. I keep wanting to try this Z/OS SYSGEN for Hercules (from before IBM realised that modern PC's with Hercules could run some of the workloads they believed only The Real Iron could and stopped handing out Z/OS as freely and retracted the RedBook on doing just that.) I've got in storage.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #69826 on: September 19, 2020, 07:42:03 am »
OK, here she goes:

Didn't have the time for comprehensive tests yet, but at least it turns on and knows its name  :)

Ice-Tea was very kind to supply a set (not a complete unit) of spares with it, so if there's something wrong I can easily swap the analog and output board for further investigation. By the first looks, it's a really nice piece of TEA with Teflon standoffs, COTO Relays, polystyrene caps, 1G and 10G resistor for current sensing, ... Stuff that you'd better not even think of touching it.

Sorry, no more pics yet, will do them later.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #69827 on: September 19, 2020, 07:48:34 am »
OK, here she goes:

Didn't have the time for comprehensive tests yet, but at least it turns on and knows its name  :)

Ice-Tea was very kind to supply a set (not a complete unit) of spares with it, so if there's something wrong I can easily swap the analog and output board for further investigation. By the first looks, it's a really nice piece of TEA with Teflon standoffs, COTO Relays, polystyrene caps, 1G and 10G resistor for current sensing, ... Stuff that you'd better not even think of touching it.

Sorry, no more pics yet, will do them later.

cool!  from the first few minutes i have a keithley i love it, you will too,   congrats !  very nice
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:50:39 am by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69828 on: September 19, 2020, 08:42:27 am »
TE job of the day: fix the awful bodge capacitor replacement mess in the HM605.

Got new sofas arriving today as well so I’ll have somewhere nicer to splat myself for discord this evening  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69829 on: September 19, 2020, 10:00:45 am »
More toys arrived via ebay. Another T495s for me and a matching keyboard so I don't have problems switching between the laptop and the desktop keyboard all the time. The Thinkpad usb keyboard jobby is a work of genius as it has the nub mouse built in.

Also as much as I like it, the Cherry MX board takes up a hell of a lot of room on the desk which is a problem when I want to slack off and play with some test gear  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69830 on: September 19, 2020, 10:05:41 am »
My latest project is on the FedEx truck for delivery.  :-+

Yawn, need more coffee.  :)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #69831 on: September 19, 2020, 10:19:08 am »
All, Bean says gidday to the 'TEA rabble' (his words !) and he's on the road again helping his bro get outta Melbourne and move closer to where he is in SA.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69832 on: September 19, 2020, 11:54:09 am »
More toys arrived via ebay. Another T495s for me and a matching keyboard so I don't have problems switching between the laptop and the desktop keyboard all the time. The Thinkpad usb keyboard jobby is a work of genius as it has the nub mouse built in.

Also as much as I like it, the Cherry MX board takes up a hell of a lot of room on the desk which is a problem when I want to slack off and play with some test gear  :-DD

I never got on with the nub mouse -  I can do anything on a track pad or with a "real" mouse, but the nub just doesn't work with my brain's particular feedback loop!  :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69833 on: September 19, 2020, 12:17:07 pm »

I never got on with the nub mouse -  I can do anything on a track pad or with a "real" mouse, but the nub just doesn't work with my brain's particular feedback loop!  :D

I'm just the opposite. I really liked the nub. So much so that I had to keep spares on hand because I wore it out.

I wish this Acer had it.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69834 on: September 19, 2020, 12:27:01 pm »

I'm just the opposite. I really liked the nub. So much so that I had to keep spares on hand because I wore it out.

I wish this Acer had it.

I was a "nubber" once, but once I got the hang of the track pad (and turned the sensitivity up to near max, so you aren't moving your fingers much) I never looked back!  It's the same with the mouse, I have that cranked right up close to max so I can go across the whole screen with one wrist move.  It's the best way to avoid RSI with these things!  :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69835 on: September 19, 2020, 12:36:44 pm »

I believe I've already told you all the tale of how a former friend and colleague, Guy Kewney (alas now dead), nearly got IBM's marketing department to dub that the Centrally Located Inertia-less Tracker. So please use its proper name, not nub.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, mansaxel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69836 on: September 19, 2020, 12:38:05 pm »

Perhaps you can't find it...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69837 on: September 19, 2020, 12:38:35 pm »

I wish this Acer had it.

I was a "nubber" once, but once I got the hang of the track pad (and turned the sensitivity up to near max, so you aren't moving your fingers much) I never looked back!  It's the same with the mouse, I have that cranked right up close to max so I can go across the whole screen with one wrist move.  It's the best way to avoid RSI with these things!  :D

Way back when I first started using a PC since I'm a southpaw I had the mouse configured on the left rather than the right. But for some reason I started to develop carpal tunnel in my left wrist so I switched to the right. To this day it's on the right and no issues. You know what's a real hoot to watch? A right handed person try to use a left handed mouse. Talk about not being able to wrap their head around it.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69838 on: September 19, 2020, 12:41:46 pm »

Perhaps you can't find it...  >:D

I always found it.  >:D >:D ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69839 on: September 19, 2020, 12:42:20 pm »

So you're saying "It's all in the wrist action"?  :)

This series of comments sponsored by the "Carry On" film series and the British Seaside Postcard Association.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69840 on: September 19, 2020, 12:42:53 pm »

Got new sofas arriving today as well so I’ll have somewhere nicer to splat myself for discord this evening  :-+
What! but you have it listed on the bay of evil, what if it gets buggered in the process  >:D

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69841 on: September 19, 2020, 12:46:59 pm »

I wish this Acer had it.
Yeah, I quite like the nub as well, it was a common feature on some Toshiba laptops I used to have as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 12:48:55 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69842 on: September 19, 2020, 01:02:06 pm »
Those things are the spawn of Satan and a Micro$oft coding engineer.

Like this little guy, only slightly cuter:   

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980405

But hey.... some people like fondling their little mushroom all the time...  >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 01:04:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69843 on: September 19, 2020, 01:08:20 pm »
Hey... did you know Linus Media Group is hiring...? AGAIN...?

mnem
 >:D
I'd go with the "Fashion Designer" position these days, and just hang out with the models!  :D

I heartily endorse this course of action!  :-+

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69844 on: September 19, 2020, 01:37:32 pm »

I wish this Acer had it.

It really depends for me on what I'm working on. When I spent a lot of time editing photos, I lived and died by my trackball. Still have a couple MS marbles stashed away. But my favorite of all time, mostly due to the way it just disappeared into the workflow... was a Kensington ExpertMouse that I cut into the desk so the buttons were almost flush. That thing was a perfect mix; you could manipulate objects fast with the palm of your hand and fingertips on buttons, or flick & brake across even a 4K screen, or pinpoint control with fingertips... And of course, it had a regulation 8-ball for the objective.  >:D

Everything since has always felt like a compromise; a huge trackpad is the closest, but they suck bunge for word processor work.

For that, I still prefer a plain old 2-button mouse with res and sensitivity cranked right up.  :-//

Fortunately, gamer hardware has hugely improved the hardware available even in the sub-$50 bracket... the ReDragon K506 RGB KB & M602-RGB 7200DPI mouse I got on sale for $40 total when I built this rig have fast become a favorite with the caveat that they were chosen for domestic tranquility (read: a decent membrane KB I can use in the same room as my wife watching her anime), my only real complaint is primarily aesthetic rather than functional: I wish the LED backlighting were a little brighter and crisper, and that I could get my preferred solid light teal color on both the mouse & KB. The software just will not do that on the mouse.  :wtf:

mnem
*back to lawnmower-fixery hell*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69845 on: September 19, 2020, 01:41:48 pm »
All, Bean says gidday to the 'TEA rabble' (his words !) and he's on the road again helping his bro get outta Melbourne and move closer to where he is in SA.

I also heartily endorse THIS course of action! For the good of mankind, and for bean's sanity...  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69846 on: September 19, 2020, 01:43:25 pm »

What! but you have it listed on the bay of evil, what if it gets buggered in the process  >:D

That’s the HM203 I chucked on eBay. This is the other one  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69847 on: September 19, 2020, 01:55:40 pm »
Today arrival one of these ACV and ACA Digital LCD build-in meters.
I've bought this one in the bay:

Product type: D69-2049

Before hooking it up to the mains voltage I did some checking first.
Opening was easy, just some plastic snap-in tongues.
I've found some solder debris and one bent snap-in tongue:

This is the top view of the pcbs. I took them apart to check the spacing in the mains section but I missed it to take some pictures.  :palm:   However, the clearings are looking reasonable to me, the lines to the full bridge rectifier are on the opposite sides of the pcb. All other clearings are reasonable. The LC Display is connected via zebra stripes to the PCB and LEDs were used as a light source together with a diffusor.
I have also applied some ferrules to the cables of the current sensing transformer.

I hokked it up then to my variac and around 180VAC it is starting working. Compared to my BM235 it is a bit off, but this can be eventually calibrated out. On the left 225VAC, zoom to the display which is nice and crisp and on the right 258VAC.

I'm not hundred percent convinced about it but honestly I'd expected worse. As you can see, on the front on the right side there is a little switch. I've shortened the leads of this switch, because right on the other pcb/side there were the leads of the green connector (incoming mains). The space between them are now good 7mm throgh air, before it was more likely 3-4mm.

I'm thinking about purchaising another two of them so I can measure then in my new lab the incoming 3-phase mains voltages and currents.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69848 on: September 19, 2020, 02:29:54 pm »
I'm thinking about purchaising another two of them so I can measure then in my new lab the incoming 3-phase mains voltages and currents.

Wouldn't that be a bit misleading, what with phase<->phase currents and all? Sure, you could work it out in your head from all three readings and Kirchhoff, but do you trust yourself to remember to do it on-the-fly? I don't think I'd trust m'self under those circumstances.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69849 on: September 19, 2020, 02:39:14 pm »
That's okay C... we don't trust you either. We like you, but we don't trust you.  >:D

mnem
Never trust a smiling dragon. aardvark.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf