Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14934451 times)

SingleBitError, powerflux, Vince, TJ924 and 244 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline K0ELB

• Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69850 on: September 19, 2020, 02:42:27 pm »
Enablers. That's what y'all are, a bunch of enablers.

I recently became a ham last year, and decided that I wanted to fix my own gear as opposed to paying someone else to do something that I can do myself. Saving money that way, ya know. So, I quickly became a boat anchor radio fan, you know, because tubes are far cooler than solid state, and things that can kill you are always cooler than those that can't. My only rule of acquisition is that it has to be something I can use.

Anyway, I decided that I needed some essential test equipment, so at first I bought an oscilloscope, gotta have one of those. New digital ones are out of my reach, so I bought a boat anchor, a Tektronix 561A. It works great, but no way to verify transmit frequency, so I needed a spectrum analyzer. After a lot of research, I decided that the best bang-for-the-buck would be an HP 8568B. So I bought one. Then found a second RF section with the cables for cheap, so I bought it too. You know, for "spares". Good idea, right?

Then I needed to align my 75A-4, and needed an RF signal generator. More research, and decided on an HP 8640B. I found one local for $200, so I bought it. Then found an HP 3300A Function Generator for $50, and bought it to. The same local guy selling the 8640B also had a bunch of Tektronix gear, so I bought a 7904 with a bunch of plug ins (and a plug in extender board!) as well as a couple of Tektronix TM504 mainframes, with more plug ins. I have a DMM, a couple of counters, an oscillator, and a few more plug ins as spares.

I thought my test equipment needs were met, until I started reading this thread.

Then I came across equipment that I had no idea existed. I suddenly realised that I needed another counter, this time with nixie tubes, because nixie tubes are cool. So I bought an HP 5245L this week and it arrived yesterday. Seems to work ok, but two of the nixie tubes will have to be replaced I think, because they're "flickering" on certain numbers. Got to get that sorted.

At the beginning of this year, all I had was the Tektronix 561A and a couple of Kenwood TS-830S' and a TS-820S. Now I have a whole wall of radios and test equipment, with more in the garage because I simply don't have anymore room in the living room to put them.

And now I have a want for a good power supply, and I have no idea why....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 02:55:10 pm by K0ELB »
Confirmed Tektronix Addict

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, Kosmic, 0culus, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69851 on: September 19, 2020, 02:46:54 pm »
Enabling is what we do best. You're welcome.  :-+ ;D

Now in order for you to be fully accepted into the club you have to turn your pictures right side up.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: K0ELB

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69852 on: September 19, 2020, 02:47:52 pm »
HM605 boards recapped. 80% less painful to get the boards out of this than a tek!

Note the remains of the caps that the previous numpty epoxied to the board.

Have to shelve it for a bit now as I have IKEA shit to assemble :(

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69853 on: September 19, 2020, 02:48:03 pm »
I'm thinking about purchaising another two of them so I can measure then in my new lab the incoming 3-phase mains voltages and currents.

Wouldn't that be a bit misleading, what with phase<->phase currents and all? Sure, you could work it out in your head from all three readings and Kirchhoff, but do you trust yourself to remember to do it on-the-fly? I don't think I'd trust m'self under those circumstances.

You are right, if one would hook up a 3-phase load. But I don't have any intentions in this direction. What I have in mind is checking some different circuits, e.g. a circuit for all the test equipement, one for the tools and computers, one for other usage. Hmm, probably I should order a fourth one, so I can put one on the secondary side of an isolating transformer (fixed at 230VAC). Pity, it doesn't work with 115VAC. I'm also planning to mount an isolating transformer and some dedicated sockets for 115VAC gear.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 02:57:17 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline K0ELB

• Contributor
« Reply #69854 on: September 19, 2020, 02:51:23 pm »

Now in order for you to be fully accepted into the club you have to turn your pictures right side up.  :P :-DD

Yeah, that's strange. The damn things were right side up when they uploaded.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69855 on: September 19, 2020, 02:53:35 pm »

Must be using an iphone......apple crap.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69856 on: September 19, 2020, 02:54:13 pm »
(Attachment Link) Enablers. That's what y'all are, a bunch of enablers.

I recently became a ham last year, and decided that I wanted to fix my own gear as opposed to paying someone else to do something that I can do myself. Saving money that way, ya know. So, I quickly became a boat anchor radio fan, you know, because tubes are far cooler than solid state, and things that can kill you are always cooler than those that can't. My only rule of acquisition is that it has to be something I can use.

Anyway, I decided that I needed some essential test equipment, so at first I bought an oscilloscope, gotta have one of those. New digital ones are out of my reach, so I bought a boat anchor, a Tektronix 561A. It works great, but no way to verify transmit frequency, so I needed a spectrum analyzer. After a lot of research, I decided that the best bang-for-the-buck would be an HP 8568B. So I bought one. Then found a second RF section with the cables for cheap, so I bought it too. You know, for "spares". Good idea, right?

Then I needed to align my 75A-4, and needed an RF signal generator. More research, and decided on an HP 8640B. I found one local for $200, so I bought it. Then found an HP 3300A Function Generator for $50, and bought it to. The same local guy selling the 8640B also had a bunch of Tektronix gear, so I bought a 7904 with a bunch of plug ins (and a plug in extender board!) as well as a couple of Tektronix TM504 mainframes, with more plug ins. I have a DMM, a couple of counters, an oscillator, and a few more plug ins as spares.

I thought my test equipment needs were met, until I started reading this thread.

Then I came across equipment that I had no idea existed. I suddenly realised that I needed another counter, this time with nixie tubes, because nixie tubes are cool. So I bought an HP 5245L this week and it arrived yesterday. Seems to work ok, but two of the nixie tubes will have to be replaced I think, because they're "flickering" on certain numbers. Got to get that sorted.

At the beginning of this year, all I had was the Tektronix 561A and a couple of Kenwood TS-830S' and a TS-820S. Now I have a whole wall of radios and test equipment, with more in the garage because I simply don't have anymore room in the living room to put them.

Nice collection  :-+

Offline K0ELB

• Contributor
« Reply #69857 on: September 19, 2020, 02:56:06 pm »

Yes, iPhone. And yes, fixed.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69858 on: September 19, 2020, 02:58:32 pm »

Yes, iPhone. And yes, fixed.

Much better.  :-+ You are officially down the rabbit hole. ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus, K0ELB

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69859 on: September 19, 2020, 03:00:35 pm »

Med, just because you haven't figured out how to hold it the right way up doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything wrong with the product.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, K0ELB

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69860 on: September 19, 2020, 03:02:41 pm »

Med, just because you haven't figured out how to hold it the right way up doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything wrong with the product.  >:D

I won't have to figure it out because even if it were last smart phone on earth I won't buy one.  :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69861 on: September 19, 2020, 03:05:43 pm »

Currently busy right now but later today I'll show you how you can better utilize that 7904.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69862 on: September 19, 2020, 03:06:53 pm »

Enablers? We? Why are you thinking this? 
 :-DD  :-DD

May I introduce you with the ... rabbit hole of TEA!

Welcome to the club and enjoy the journey wherever it'll lead you and how long it'll take.   ;D

Well, a power supply (why only one?) for the lab? what do you need?
High currents? High voltages? Both? How many channels? Linear or switched ones?

:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69863 on: September 19, 2020, 03:16:35 pm »

Anyway, I decided that I needed some essential test equipment...

Nice collection A good START.  :-+

There... FTFY.  >:D

Welcome to the nuttery, KOELB!  :-+

mnem
Learn it. Live it. Love it:

The Myriad Maxims to Maximally Master TEAcquisition

1. Test equipment (TE) will expand to fill all space available. And then some.
2. It's never "just a blown fuse."
3. That bodge will come back to bite you in the ass.
4. The availability of service documentation varies inversely with your current level of diagnostic frustration.
5. There's always more to fix than you first think.
6. Thou shalt use a probe prophylactic.
7. There is no substitute for exhaustive burn-in testing.
8. The TE you have on hand is never the TE you need to fix the TE you want.
9. Capacitors are Murphy's footsoldiers.
10. The adhesive used to apply a label is always stronger than the label itself.
11. Masochism is endemic, perhaps even mandatory.
12. To get the best deals, you have to be prepared to walk away.
43. Never buy the cheapest chinesium, unless it is for explosion investigation purposes.
99. Want > Have > Need
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69864 on: September 19, 2020, 03:17:39 pm »
Got a RF related question. Sometimes, some manuals and spec sheets will describe RF cables and connectors as "mode-free" for a certain range.

Anybody know what "mode-free" mean exactly ?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #69865 on: September 19, 2020, 03:24:57 pm »

Why, to power things, of course!

The really good thing about power supplies, is you can never have too many. Also DMMs.
Also scopes. Also counters.
Also... well you get the idea!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, K0ELB

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69866 on: September 19, 2020, 03:35:42 pm »
Got a RF related question. Sometimes, some manuals and spec sheets will describe RF cables and connectors as "mode-free" for a certain range.

Anybody know what "mode-free" mean exactly ?

I've always assumed that this meant that they behaved as ideal transmission lines at those frequencies, and didn't flop over into one of the other transmission modes (TE, TM, HE etc).

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #69867 on: September 19, 2020, 04:00:50 pm »
oh Gawd, umm Odin, how many pages did you fill during those few days that I was not really online ?

Looting Reichelt was successful, and I made progress with the speakers.

Discord anyone, tonite ?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69868 on: September 19, 2020, 04:13:35 pm »
Get any RTX3080s?  :-DD

https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-a-bot-bought-dozens-of-rtx-3080-units-before-consumers-could-grab-them

I may make it to Discord... if the lawnmower doesn't eat me.

mnem
 :scared:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:15:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69869 on: September 19, 2020, 04:15:36 pm »
oh Gawd, umm Odin, how many pages did you fill during those few days that I was not really online ?

Looting Reichelt was successful, and I made progress with the speakers.

Discord anyone, tonite ?

I'll be on Discord later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69870 on: September 19, 2020, 04:22:02 pm »

.....snip

.....snip

Here's how you can make the 7904 more versatile. First, add a frequency counter. Use the “SIG OUT” output. The impedance is 50 ohms so if you use the 1MEG input on the counter (typically under 50Mhz) you'll have to use a 50 ohm feed-thru terminator or you'll get inaccurate results. Obviously not required if using the 50 ohm input to the counter.

2nd, build a wheeled cart for it. I originally built it for a 7603N but made it wide enough to accommodate a larger 7000 series as well as an older 500 series scope. I modified it for 7000 series plug-in storage and behind the door is more storage. I also added a collapsible side table for paperwork.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69871 on: September 19, 2020, 04:23:45 pm »
I'm thinking about purchaising another two of them so I can measure then in my new lab the incoming 3-phase mains voltages and currents.

Wouldn't that be a bit misleading, what with phase<->phase currents and all? Sure, you could work it out in your head from all three readings and Kirchhoff, but do you trust yourself to remember to do it on-the-fly? I don't think I'd trust m'self under those circumstances.

You are right, if one would hook up a 3-phase load. But I don't have any intentions in this direction. What I have in mind is checking some different circuits, e.g. a circuit for all the test equipement, one for the tools and computers, one for other usage. Hmm, probably I should order a fourth one, so I can put one on the secondary side of an isolating transformer (fixed at 230VAC). Pity, it doesn't work with 115VAC. I'm also planning to mount an isolating transformer and some dedicated sockets for 115VAC gear.
Sorry, but that is so half-hearted that I can't see how it could be useful.
First, you should not discard the thought of three-phase loads too early. So have at least one CEE outlet in reach and the instrumentation should also be able to cope with that.
Second, what do you want to do with 115V 50Hz outlets? Get a rotary converter so that you can have a true 120/240V 60Hz supply!
Also, have you looked at a standard Pruefschattafel?
 >:D

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69872 on: September 19, 2020, 04:27:32 pm »

Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no ONE power supply which can power everything that you can already test, so: happy hunting!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69873 on: September 19, 2020, 04:29:39 pm »

Sorry, but that is so half-hearted that I can't see how it could be useful.
First, you should not discard the thought of three-phase loads too early. So have at least one CEE outlet in reach and the instrumentation should also be able to cope with that.
Second, what do you want to do with 115V 50Hz outlets? Get a rotary converter so that you can have a true 120/240V 60Hz supply!
Also, have you looked at a standard Pruefschattafel?
 >:D

Rotary converter? Rotary converter! Have you forgotten where you are? He needs one of these:

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69874 on: September 19, 2020, 04:32:28 pm »
RANDOM MODE:

Just stumbled across this at Homeowner Hell while shopping moulding for a bathroom project:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/alexandria-moulding-metal-flat-bar-mira-lustre-1-8-inch-x-1-inch-x-8-ft-/1000675915

8 feet of 1/8" x 1" clear anodized aluminum bar stock for ~US$12. Simply fabulous...   

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:34:47 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf